Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 11-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #301
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

I like turtles

Old 11-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #302
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
this man

is on

a mission

I like his fingers, and would like to hire him to join Alternative Nation's writing staff.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:15 PM   #303
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
I like turtles
Me too. There are tons of turtles in the lakes here in central Florida. They are cute.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:15 PM   #304
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

Is that some sort of Brian Froud Dark Crystal puppet? I have always wondered

I don't want to befriend it but I would maybe ask it if anything is wrong

Old 11-09-2018, 04:19 PM   #305
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I think it's making a proclamation of some sort. Or perhaps it is in the act of creating a new world. I always pictured God making a similar gesture during the whole let there be light fiasco.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #306
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Smile

I can see that

I always interpreted it more as a "are you fucking kidding me with this shit" sort of thing, just gesturing at an entire situation in disbelief

Old 11-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #307
lightdark
Pledge

Well this has taken a turn.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:12 PM   #308
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Happy 25th, lightdark!

How's it feel, to reach this new milestone?

Old 11-09-2018, 05:17 PM   #309
lightdark
Pledge

Feels great, honestly. It's like I'm born again.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:28 PM   #310
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

With Sympathy is one of the tracks JC wrote, right?

Old 11-09-2018, 08:30 PM   #311
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

It's the only track he co-wrote.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:31 PM   #312
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Old 11-09-2018, 08:58 PM   #313
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Well, the LP is out in the wild (not just with reviewers... a dude on the Facebook group got the Silver LP today). Where's the leak?

Old 11-09-2018, 09:05 PM   #314
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Maybe they started the shipping earlier to guarantee a delivery on the release date.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #315
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
Well, the LP is out in the wild (not just with reviewers... a dude on the Facebook group got the Silver LP today). Where's the leak?
I know who he is, but I'll go easier on him if somebody outs him for me. Then only call the FBI on him, and not the CIA.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:18 PM   #316
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post
Thanks. Made it into an article. Pumpkins' new publicist can shove it for not sending my reporter the album early!

https://www.alternativenation.net/sm...-early-review/
Fucking eh!

That's weak they didn't send you a release. Billy's probably still butt-hurt about your D'arcy feature.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:29 PM   #317
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
Lol. Most reviews say that it' s overproduced with billy vocals up front.
Malta and solata crap. Silvery good.

I bet it s gonna be shitty.

Funny how many positive feed billy got for silvery.
Almost none for solara and only a few for malta.
This alone prooves how people received the first 3 songs.

Billy only posts some negative comments on ig to insult his fans.

I like the choir on malta but the wohohos are sung so badly and after a few malta listens i must say that the song is annoying as fuck.
Yeah, I kinda agree with you regarding Silvery. It's the best song of the 3 songs and it touches upon some of the old SP magic, but it's not a particularly well written song. It's simply "pretty good", so it's a little odd how many people rave about it... But if you look on Reddit, everyone is ECSTATIC with Knights of Malta lol... I don't get it.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #318
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Also the current PR was just hired a month or two ago. Billy tends to go through 2-3 publicists per year when he is musically active. He went through at least 3 I think during the MTAE/In Plainsong era a few years ago I think.
Holy shit! That's very abnormal, isn't it?

Old 11-09-2018, 09:57 PM   #319
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Fucking eh!

That's weak they didn't send you a release. Billy's probably still butt-hurt about your D'arcy feature.
I don't know if Billy would have anything to do with an album review, he can't micromanage every aspect of his career. The publicist has always been kind of difficult, was difficult about AIC album in August too.

The last PR though denied me for press tickets to the Forum show in August, that could have been Billy, but it also might not have been, another PR that's hit and miss. I bought tickets and ended up enjoying the show a lot, so they would have gotten a positive review. I don't post my own reviews for shows unless I'm compensated with free tickets.

I remember there was a period in 2014 around the time I interviewed him where the interview was posted on the Nexus site, along with another couple of AN articles. I think he retweeted me once or twice around then too. The PR I booked the interview through is a publicist who has always been cool to me, he represents Live.

Last edited by WeilandFan : 11-09-2018 at 10:04 PM.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:04 PM   #320
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Holy shit! That's very abnormal, isn't it?
It is kind of weird. Artists do switch PR's, but he seems to do it more than others. There are certain bands I cover though who have had the same PR for at least 5-7 years. I do get that AN is a niche, but I think some underestimate the site's pull, we rank very high on Google and influence how other sites report on bands we cover greatly.

An example is Billy's new publicist also represents Bush (AIC as well), and I think we tried for a Gavin Rossdale interview a year or two ago when they put out an album and were touring. The album sold like dog shit, and Bush weren't playing huge venues. AN is a place where Bush could get the word out to their niche audience, and I'd know how to get newsworthy things out of him. I haven't requested any PR interview from anybody in probably a year and a half. They're lame for the most part, stuff like the D'arcy interview is the only thing that interests me these days, and AN isn't big enough to book a no holds barred interview like that with the people I'd even want to interview.

STP's PR used to give a lot of stuff until I broke the news via Scott Weiland that Chester was out. I also found their hidden website announcing their singer search. Since then radio silence. I can't help that I'm good at breaking stories! It's much more lucrative than being some PR kiss ass.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:04 PM   #321
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
I don't know if Billy would have anything to do with an album review, he can't micromanage every aspect of his career. The publicist has always been kind of difficult, was difficult about AIC album in August too.

The last PR though denied me for press tickets to the Forum show in August, that could have been Billy, but it also might not have been, another PR that's hit and miss. I bought tickets and ended up enjoying the show a lot, so they would have gotten a positive review. I don't post my own reviews for shows unless I'm compensated with free tickets.

I remember there was a period in 2014 around the time I interviewed him where the interview was posted on the Nexus site, along with another couple of AN articles at the time. I think he retweeted me once or twice around then too. The PR I booked the interview through is a publicist who has always been cool to me, he represents Live.
Hmm interesting. In this day and age though, I don't know why publicists wouldn't send out as much music to get publicized online as possible. They can watermark all of the releases to make sure that they don't get leaked and hardly anyone buys music anymore anyways so there's not much of a risk.

As far as Alt Nation goes, I don't think there's a more popular site that covers the direct genre that you do, so it's puzzling why they would exclude you from review material if it wasn't directly an order from Corgan.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:16 PM   #322
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
It is kind of weird. Artists do switch PR's, but he seems to do it more than others. There are certain bands I cover though who have had the same PR for at least 5-7 years. I do get that AN is a niche, but I think some underestimate the site's pull, we rank very high on Google and influence how other sites report on bands we cover greatly.

An example is Billy's new publicist also represents Bush (AIC as well), and I think we tried for a Gavin Rossdale interview a year or two ago when they put out an album and were touring. The album sold like dog shit, and Bush weren't playing huge venues. AN is a place where Bush could get the word out to their niche audience, and I'd know how to get newsworthy things out of him. I haven't requested any PR interview from anybody in probably a year and a half. They're lame for the most part, stuff like the D'arcy interview is the only thing that interests me these days, and AN isn't big enough to book a no holds barred interview like that with the people I'd even want to interview.

STP's PR used to give a lot of stuff until I broke the news via Scott Weiland that Chester was out. I also found their hidden website announcing their singer search. Since then radio silence. I can't help that I'm good at breaking stories! It's much more lucrative than being some PR kiss ass.
Absolutely man. In todays day and age, it's all about attaining online buzz. Getting as many organizations like yours on board and excited would seem to be a no-brainer. I sometimes wonder what kinda no-minds these artists are hiring.

It's weird though, in this day and age there seems to be a concerted effort from these big artists (as well as big-tech and other corporations) to prop up these dying dinosaur media companies by excluding all of the huge independent outlets. I don't get it. If you want boots on the ground impact, you gotta go where the audience hangs out... I reckon it's all about being able to control the narrative, which is why you'll never see a publication like Rolling Stone give a big artist a bad review... Green Day, U2, Springsteen, McCartney, Foo Fighters ETC can put out a stinking turd and every time RS will give it 4 stars.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:05 AM   #323
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/mus...d-oh-so-bright
Review

The Smashing Pumpkins regain luster on ‘Shiny and Oh So Bright

The much heralded Smashing Pumpkins reunion didn’t exactly pan out. With singer, guitarist and cat lover Billy Corgan failing to draw back bassist D’arcy Wretzky, the original group returned to the road last year only three-quarters intact with guitarist James Iha and drummer Jimmy Chamberlin.

But Corgan, who has kept the band’s name alive with various lineups over the past two decades, isn’t going to let a little setback like that spoil his comeback. “We’re going to make this happen/ I’m going to fly forever,” he sings on the glorious “Knights of Malta,” the opening track of “Shiny and Oh So Bright, Vol. 1 / LP: No Past. No Future. No Sun,” the reformed Pumpkins’ first album together since 2000’s “Machina/The Machines of God.”

Recorded with producer Rick Rubin, it marks a return not only of familiar faces but also of those sublime, bristling melodies that made them omnipresent through the 1990s. “Silvery Sometimes (Ghosts)” is a gorgeous successor to “1979,” while “Travels” has all the shimmery traces of anything off “Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness” (he always had a way with terrible album titles).

At just eight tracks, the album does a remarkable job reining in Corgan’s tendency for self-indulgence, even if hearing the 51-year-old frontman sneer his way through “Marchin’ On” tips into parody. The album loses its momentum during the second half, but based on the evidence here there’s hope for the Pumpkins yet.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:17 AM   #324
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Pod cast review

http://aca.st/91326e

The guy didn't like Solara, but loved Travels and With Sympathy - he also liked Silvery Sometimes.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:22 AM   #325
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

And according to metacritic, 3 positive and 1 mixed review so far

https://www.metacritic.com/music/shi...critic-reviews

Old 11-10-2018, 05:39 AM   #326
Razor Star
Pledge

Quote:
Also the current PR was just hired a month or two ago. Billy tends to go through 2-3 publicists per year when he is musically active. He went through at least 3 I think during the MTAE/In Plainsong era a few years ago I think.
Interesting - in the UK he's used the same PR for the last five years, I think, despite label and management changes

Old 11-10-2018, 05:43 AM   #327
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm sort of coming around to the position now that this album is going to be so ridiculous that it might actually be enjoyable.

It will be "The Room" of the album world. James Franco will star in a movie about it being made - actually he'd make a pretty good Corgan. Tommy Wiseau as Jimmy?

"Oh hi Billy"

Old 11-10-2018, 05:48 AM   #328
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
It's the only track he co-wrote.
Thx

Old 11-10-2018, 06:04 AM   #329
Razor Star
Pledge

It's a solid three stars/ seven out of ten album. It's okay. It's pretty good. On the scale of MCIS and SD it's not in the same league, but it's comparable favorably to anything Corgan has put his name to in the last decade. Honestly, i'm not sure what more you could hope for.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:20 AM   #330
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

What albums are on the same league of mcis/sd anyway?