Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 09-20-2018, 11:06 PM   #211
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

another unpopular opinion

I have often thought that young people should do compulsory national service in all countries - not military service necessarily, but some kind of service, for one or two years. And an area where they could make a massive difference, is aged care. Even if all you do is work in the kitchen, it eases the burden on the staff, who are already stretched far too thin. if you spend two years mopping hospital hallways or building roads or training to be a volunteer firefighter or something, it all helps. And it prepares you for the rest of your life, to know what ageing looks like, or what sickness and death look like, or what emergencies look like. Sort of puts everything in perspective.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:19 PM   #212
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
may I use that as sig, please?
yes, definitely

as Lucille Bluth as that quote is...in India I think it might actually be true.

Human labour is sadly very cheap there, from what I understand.

Average salary is 7000 rupees a month, or around $100 USD. Given that local disposable diaper production is a pretty recent thing in India and most had to be imported, I think it is pretty true that until very recently in India, if you were buying disposable diapers, you probably also had a maid.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:27 PM   #213
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
I never answered this! Many people have a spray attachment for their toilet, so they can hold the diaper over the toilet and spray most of the solids off and flush. I didn't have one of those, because we were mostly renting when my kids were in diapers. So I would use the laundry sink, and clean it up afterwards. Most houses have a single waste water output, so regardless of where you use the water, it's going to the same place.

And yeah, the rest home was hardcore. I only worked there for three months before I burned out. I worked a 3pm-11pm shift on Saturday and Sunday nights, as an 18 year old. A 15 year old would come and help me between 4-8pm. I had to do everything. So I would be cooking dinner - like, putting a casserole in the oven or something, and then showering the residents and dressing them for bed. The 15 year old and I would give out all their medication - we had no training whatsoever. There were usually 15 residents. One of them had a fall, and I didn't realise how serious it was until the night staff member (there was only one person there overnight) who was far more experienced than I was, told me I should have called for an ambulance 2 hours ago. Nobody had told me that when an 85 year old falls on their hip, it could kill them

It was a really sad job. One time a man pressed the call button...when I got to his bedside, he was crying so hard, and telling me "Please tell them I'm sorry, please tell them I'm sorry", and he was in the early stages of dementia so I couldn't tell if he was referring to something that happened a long time ago, or something that happened earlier that day. All I could do was hold his hand and pat his arm and assure him I would tell her, and that everything was OK, and that he could go back to sleep, it would be alright. And then write up, in my end of shift report.

Two residents died, while I was there. The first resident starved herself to death; she would just refuse to open her mouth for food, because she wanted to die. The second resident was an American woman who had bipolar; she was either lovely or really, really mean...but it was still horrible to see her, dead in her bed.

There was a laundry out the back with a dedicated sink for washing soiled linen. It was pretty hard, getting used to cleaning up old people's poop.

When I applied for the job, I was attracted to the pay rate and the hours. But in the interview, the woman who hired me said "I can see you have a sense of humour, and really, that's the essential thing. That will take you a long way, in this job." and that's true. But in the end I was 18 and just not ready to spend two of my evenings every weekend, being face to face with human frailty.

But yeah. After caring for 15 elderly residents, most of whom had dementia...cleaning and cooking and showering them...having just the ONE baby and cloth diapers didn't really seem that hard. Plus, I breastfed...I mean the crap that came out in the diaper had actually all come from my own body. I was basically cleaning up after myself
wow that's awful, especially the part about the lady starving herself to death. christ... but thanks for sharing. i wish i could go do something like that but no one would accept an evil person like me, not even as a volunteer, not even at an animal shelter (lol).

the jail was pretty bad. i was intake trustee for two months. we worked from 4 am to 7 pm, seven days a week. a lot of it was sitting around waiting for orders, but when we did work it was intense. we would have to clean cells fast in between inmates getting sent out and new ones coming it. i dealt with all kinds of stuff: urine, blood, shit, vomit, blood in vomit, other unmentionable fluids. the worst was cleaning the drunk tank and the med tanks. the drunk tank was the biggest cell, crammed full of new arrested fools. the med tank was where the worst drug cases would detox. it had this drain in the middle of the floor with a grating over the foulest slime/sludge pit imaginable. once it clogged up and i had to get down over it and insert this drain drill thingy with my hands. almost retched.

i misspoke when i said the tanks were the worst. the human wrecks were the worst.
good times.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:28 PM   #214
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I just realized that anise and fennel are two entirely different plants.
it was with this recipe that i first used fresh fennel. i promise you'll love it or your money back.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/on...h-buttery-orzo

Old 09-20-2018, 11:45 PM   #215
D.
Consume my pants.

Hey Tooth, do you watch any jail shows like Lockup or that one that was filming people coming in to jail right after being arrested? Or are you more like "not 'avin' it mate, been there, don't need to see it"?

Old 09-20-2018, 11:53 PM   #216
yo soy el mejor

my mother used cloth diapers for my little brother at least who is ten years my junior. i dont remember my babyhood. no maids in my house ever growing up and i don't plan to start using one ever.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:57 PM   #217
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
wow that's awful, especially the part about the lady starving herself to death. christ... but thanks for sharing. i wish i could go do something like that but no one would accept an evil person like me, not even as a volunteer, not even at an animal shelter (lol).

the jail was pretty bad. i was intake trustee for two months. we worked from 4 am to 7 pm, seven days a week. a lot of it was sitting around waiting for orders, but when we did work it was intense. we would have to clean cells fast in between inmates getting sent out and new ones coming it. i dealt with all kinds of stuff: urine, blood, shit, vomit, blood in vomit, other unmentionable fluids. the worst was cleaning the drunk tank and the med tanks. the drunk tank was the biggest cell, crammed full of new arrested fools. the med tank was where the worst drug cases would detox. it had this drain in the middle of the floor with a grating over the foulest slime/sludge pit imaginable. once it clogged up and i had to get down over it and insert this drain drill thingy with my hands. almost retched.

i misspoke when i said the tanks were the worst. the human wrecks were the worst.
good times.
That’s fucking grim, man. Washing your baby’s diapers would be like nothing to you, after that. My husband didn’t do it as often as me but he did help, and I think he was alright because he’d grown up on farms with things like offal pits and fly blown stock and shooting lame animals and the rest. It’s really not that bad

Though

After the rest home and cleaning up after my children, I have been reluctant to get a dog. My 9 year old would love a dog but I know it’s going to be me that walks it and picks up its shit, the most. And you know, I Guess I’m just taking a breather from that lifestyle right now

Old 09-21-2018, 12:07 AM   #218
yo soy el mejor

considering how much john-boy has lied and exaggerated about everyday stuff in his life one would have to assume his jail tales are no different

child of a professor playing up his nights in jail when he could have just gotten off with affluenza

Old 09-21-2018, 12:08 AM   #219
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

OH shit FoolofaTooth, she calling you out!

Old 09-21-2018, 12:08 AM   #220
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
After the rest home and cleaning up after my children, I have been reluctant to get a dog. My 9 year old would love a dog but I know it’s going to be me that walks it and picks up its shit, the most. And you know, I Guess I’m just taking a breather from that lifestyle right now
The kid is wanting a dog and she's 8. Is that about the age these crumbsnatchers start wanting pets? But I know she'd be lazy about it. She's hell allergic to cats unfortunately so a dog it is. Soon I'm sure.

But yeah, don't get them a dog if you know they won't look after it! Suffering is not mandatory parenting. You got too much on your plate as it is it seems.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:09 AM   #221
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
considering how much john-boy has lied and exaggerated about everyday stuff in his life one would have to assume his jail tales are no different

child of a professor playing up his couple nights in jail when he could have just gotten off with affluenza
Shawts FIRED

U gonna handle this in the streets, Tooth?!

Old 09-21-2018, 12:12 AM   #222
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
The kid is wanting a dog and she's 8. Is that about the age these crumbsnatchers start wanting pets? But I know she'd be lazy about it. She's hell allergic to cats unfortunately so a dog it is. Soon I'm sure.

But yeah, don't get them a dog if you know they won't look after it! Suffering is not mandatory parenting. You got too much on your plate as it is it seems.
i dunno about where u live but there is a shelter here that lets people foster pets (to help with space, i'm sure) and if u end up loving and keeping the pet it's called a "failed foster", but it's a great thing, of course!

the place here is called PAWS but I can't imagine something like that wouldn't exist in Houston; it would be worth a look. It would give your kid a chance to either prove herself or realize she didn't want to do the work.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:17 AM   #223
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
i dunno about where u live but there is a shelter here that lets people foster pets (to help with space, i'm sure) and if u end up loving and keeping the pet it's called a "failed foster", but it's a great thing, of course!

the place here is called PAWS but I can't imagine something like that wouldn't exist in Houston; it would be worth a look. It would give your kid a chance to either prove herself or realize she didn't want to do the work.
Wow. Thanks for the info. Will 100% check it out.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:28 AM   #224
Alice
Minion of Satan

There are some opinions I don't agree with in this thread

Old 09-21-2018, 12:29 AM   #225
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post

Mine was five when we got him a rabbit...and though he still cries about having to say goodbye when we moved here (not great chances that a rabbit would survive an air journey that long), he didn't actually spend that much time with it. He was OK, and always did what he was asked to do. And he's good at cleaning up - he had to help clean up after the chickens, too, and gather the eggs. But I think the idea he had of a rabbit wanting to jump in his lap and be patted, wasn't matched by the reality of an animal who wanted mostly to be not picked up, and wanted to run around and explore.

But dogs man. You can't get a dog and just let them live outside like rabbits and chickens. Dogs have to be part of the family. Until i'm ready for some mangy mongrel to sleep on my bed every night, leaving drool and fur and dog smell all over my covers, and then age disgracefully for the last year of its life while I put all of my travel plans on hold so I can hand feed it the arthritis medication, I figure I'm not ready for a dog. I'm getting there....just not there, yet.

The other thing is...that we all really enjoy having chickens, and chickens and dogs don't usually make friends with each other. So it'll be 10+ years of not having hens. And instead of a low maintenance, fertiliser and food producing animal...we'll just have this freeloading, dribbling, scratching, chewing nuisance extra family member...I mean that's a hard trade off, even though I know that it'll end up being my dog and I'll probably be the most pathetic doting dog owner. Extra hour of kitchen work time, preparing organic dog food from scratch: check

Old 09-21-2018, 01:13 AM   #226
redbreegull

Quote:

I have often thought that young people should do compulsory national service in all countries - not military service necessarily, but some kind of service, for one or two years.
I kind of agree with this. Obama mused about this early on in his presidency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
I liked Tyra Banks and Steve Harvey's talk shows
I think Steve Harvey is a super creep, but I thought I was the one with the unpopular opinion

Old 09-21-2018, 03:17 AM   #227
vixnix
Socialphobic

omg Yemen

open the fucking borders already my friend just shared some footage on FB and honestly I take back everything I said about picky children, just for chrissake let them live, let them eat whatever they want, it really doesn't matter. Just let them eat

Old 09-21-2018, 03:22 AM   #228
queenoftheswine
Demi-God

Location: Some area where the Canadian dollar is far more valuable than my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I've just thrown parsnips in pretty much anything I can use carrots in. Soups, stews, stir-fries, etc. Any root vegetable seems pretty versatile to me.
Roast chopped parsnips in some oil (I use olive), seasoned with salt and pepper until they begin to turn brown. At relatively high temperature, it shouldn't take longer than 40 minutes. The best. Also works with fennel.

That's pretty much how I cook most vegetables, really. Super hands-off and requires no following of recipes.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:24 AM   #229
queenoftheswine
Demi-God

Location: Some area where the Canadian dollar is far more valuable than my own.

As for unpopular opinions, Subway is fucking gross.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:35 AM   #230
buzzard
Minion of Satan

yeah i dunno about that, i try not to be classist

Old 09-21-2018, 04:33 AM   #231
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenoftheswine View Post
As for unpopular opinions, Subway is fucking gross.
yes it is. it has this particular smell that grosses me out.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:16 AM   #232
FoolofaTook

Smile

d i would rather not be reminded of jail. i tried writing a little about it and it was too depressing.

y s e m seems to have a boomerang with my name written on it lodged deep in her rectal cavity. and she's dumb as a dingbat. who lies about being an inmate worker? its pretty much the most detestable position to hold in jail, the equivalent of being a full time snitch.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:32 AM   #233
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
d i would rather not be reminded of jail. i tried writing a little about it and it was too depressing.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:22 AM   #234
FoolofaTook

yeah it's bad. the worst was the first two months, doing nothing, not knowing what will happen to you. after I got sentenced and got put on trustee it was tough but at least not maddening.

and btw the way i learned darcy had been in the same jail was from another trustee, a kitchen worker. laundry (where i got promoted to after intake) was right next to the kitchen so i helped out when they were understaffed. this dude starts talking about "the smashing pumpkins bassist" out of the blue. i was like woah.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:07 AM   #235
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Friends was a great show

Old 09-21-2018, 11:21 AM   #236
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaguitar View Post
Jordan Peterson talks a certain amount of sense and is unfairly criticised for it.
I post this video as counterpoint.

**Trigger Warning** This video contains a transexual person. If hearing a reasoned takedown of Peterson from a trans person puts you into a cisgender reactionary rage, please don't press play.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:27 AM   #237
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
yes it is. it has this particular smell that grosses me out.
god yes, wtf is that, its like shitty bread spray or something

Old 09-21-2018, 11:34 AM   #238
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:

I have often thought that young people should do compulsory national service in all countries - not military service necessarily, but some kind of service, for one or two years. And an area where they could make a massive difference, is aged care. Even if all you do is work in the kitchen, it eases the burden on the staff, who are already stretched far too thin. if you spend two years mopping hospital hallways or building roads or training to be a volunteer firefighter or something, it all helps. And it prepares you for the rest of your life, to know what ageing looks like, or what sickness and death look like, or what emergencies look like. Sort of puts everything in perspective.
yes

but no, because I wouldn't wanna

Old 09-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #239
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

I must confess: I quite like the stench of Subway bread.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:38 AM   #240
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

I don't hate Subway but they could use to change out their lettuce more often or something