Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2015, 08:28 AM   #151
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

not making a cake for a gay wedding and not serving gay customers who come to buy regular cakes are two different things.

i dunno what our civil laws are like now. not great. less than 50 years ago it was still legal to shoot indigenous australians.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:11 PM   #152
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

that makes no sense. how are situations different when in both instances they're being sold a cake?

Old 04-12-2015, 01:23 PM   #153
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

it's no different than saying you won't sell a wedding cake to a black couple. Or a multiracial couple. Or a couple that have prior divorces (which is a big sin in some religions... like Catholicism).

Old 04-12-2015, 02:05 PM   #154
Mayfuck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
that makes no sense. how are situations different when in both instances they're being sold a cake?
When you're catering, arranging flowers or photographing at a same sex wedding, you are, to an extent, participating in that wedding. This is different than serving someone at your own establishment.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #155
Mayfuck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris Hilton View Post
especially an avowed communist like mayfuck
OH NO POOR BULLIED BUSINESS OWNERS
I am pretty sure that I do not support the Indiana law, but trying to sabotage and run hate mail campaigns to small, rural independent business owners whose businesses I would never patronize anyway, is stupid and abusive and a waste of time and energy. Isn't it moot by now? Like hasn't this law been amended?

Last edited by Mayfuck : 04-12-2015 at 02:14 PM.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:13 PM   #156
Mayfuck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
it's no different than saying you won't sell a wedding cake to a black couple. Or a multiracial couple. Or a couple that have prior divorces (which is a big sin in some religions... like Catholicism).
How about we stop comparing to not having someone cater your wedding to Jim Crow. It's offensive. i.e..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris Hilton View Post
always nice to see two brown people who would have been denied service in the pre civil rights era defending the rights of business to deny service to people based on their identities in 2015
Maybe you didn't intend it, but this really comes off as "how dare you unappreciative brown people don't support gay rights when we gave you rights 50 years ago" when it comes from a white person.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:15 PM   #157
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

they should be grateful we gave them anything but look what theyve done. made gayness cool, elected a lyin african, kanye west etc

Old 04-12-2015, 03:19 PM   #158
Mayfuck
Banned

homos have been cool since ancient times. all great fine art has had some kind of queer sensibility

Old 04-12-2015, 03:23 PM   #159
Trotskilicious
Banned

maybe gross liberal art i like thomas kincade

Old 04-12-2015, 03:23 PM   #160
Elphenor
Braindead

Some kind of queer sensibility

Old 04-12-2015, 09:43 PM   #161
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfuck View Post
When you're catering, arranging flowers or photographing at a same sex wedding, you are, to an extent, participating in that wedding. This is different than serving someone at your own establishment.
in a way, i keep thinking that no gay couple in their right mind will want them to cater at their wedding now, so it's win-win.

i myself would find someone who is lgbt-friendly and who will actually make the experience worthwhile.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:57 PM   #162
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

http://www.businessinsurance.com/art...WS07/130539986

so what about this then

Old 04-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #163
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
exact same argument used to deny service to African Americans, Native Americans, etc. And it's complete crap.

if you offer goods or services to the PUBLIC you shouldn't get to decide which people you sell to. Same goes with hiring your employees. You shouldn't have any right to descriminate.

If people want to operate a business they should be held to a secular standard of equality. The 1st amendment should not trump the equal protection clause in cases like this.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:00 PM   #164
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
stupid

Old 04-13-2015, 02:20 PM   #165
MusicMan4

Quote:

Maybe you didn't intend it, but this really comes off as "how dare you unappreciative brown people don't support gay rights when we gave you rights 50 years ago" when it comes from a white person.
whatever you think of me now there is no way you can honestly believe this is the way i feel

Old 04-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #166
D.
Consume my pants.

Maybe Mayfuck didn't intend it, but he really comes off as colossal asshole when he calls gay people "faggots" as a straight person.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:29 PM   #167
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
How about we stop comparing to not having someone cater your wedding to Jim Crow. It's offensive. i.e..
So you're saying "how dare you compare refusing goods and services to gays, to refusing goods and services to blacks."

Old 04-13-2015, 07:30 PM   #168
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

what a fucking scumbag

Old 04-14-2015, 03:13 AM   #169
vixnix
Socialphobic

They're not refusing all services though - only one service, wedding cakes.

I don't think it's a straightforward situation. I don't think they're refusing to make cakes for gay weddings from a place of hate, but from a place of moral conscience (however misguided). Saying that if people do something for money, they should be required to do whatever is legally permissible for money, regardless of their personal values and preferences, amounts to totalitarianism IMO.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:23 AM   #170
Elphenor
Braindead

It amounts to outlawing discrimination in the interest of protecting minority rights

Old 04-14-2015, 03:32 AM   #171
vixnix
Socialphobic

Does anyone have a right to a wedding cake though?

Old 04-14-2015, 06:45 AM   #172
Elphenor
Braindead

They have a right to not be discriminated against are you trolling

Old 04-14-2015, 06:46 AM   #173
Elphenor
Braindead

Seriously you sound like Belte

Old 04-14-2015, 06:49 AM   #174
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

can't "religious interference" just be outlawed already
at least acknowledge "separation of church and state" for once, this is like a bad joke from the 50s or something

Old 04-14-2015, 07:35 AM   #175
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

we will not serve jews
they killed jesus
baby jesus would never forgive us
that's like our religion, man
it's in the bible

Old 04-14-2015, 07:51 AM   #176
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Does anyone have a right to a wedding cake though?
it's a serving business - food is not the fucking church, no matter the occasion where it's eaten.

like how hard is it actually to come up with troll lines like yours in this thread? I just wonder, are you a natural, or does it take some work?

also you are welcome in my bacery any time - we do serve brown people. but you better not ask for a birthday cake!

Old 04-14-2015, 07:59 AM   #177
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Saying that if people do something for money, they should be required to do whatever is legally permissible for money, regardless of their personal values and preferences, amounts to totalitarianism IMO.
you mean like doctors who let women die instead of terminating a pregnancy?

that's nice.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-20321741

Old 04-14-2015, 08:17 AM   #178
hnibos
Braindead

She's a fucking idiot, don't bother

Old 04-14-2015, 08:19 AM   #179
pavementtune

I'm convinced she just tries out certain angles of both trolling as well as things she could drop at some "open-minded" church gathering.

but I'm sure she could use her brain if she wanted to.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:21 AM   #180
Eulogy
huh

The whole root of public accommodations laws is the fact that if you hold yourself out as a business serving the public, you have to actually serve the public.

It really isn't that complicated. But in Indiana and lots of other states sexual orientation and gender identity aren't covered by public accommodations laws. So the passage of this bill was bizarre in the first place and the backlash and outcry should be directed at other states as well. Although I get why indiana had the attention it did. It's because it was a blatantly malicious doubling down meant to appease anti gay bigots mad about marriage.

There aren't any gray areas here. If you think people can point to religious convictions to deny service then you have to accept that black people can be denied service too. And if that's how you feel then great just say so. I mean it's gross but at least be consistent.