Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 06-18-2015, 11:45 PM   #631
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

well i guess "dream jumping" in inception was stupid as a concept

Old 07-03-2015, 07:23 PM   #632
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Terminator Genisysysysysysysys

There is a good movie buried in here somewhere...it, however, is lost amidst a mess of underdeveloped good ideas, cute nods-and-winks to previous Terminator movies, and comedic moments that are often awkward and/or grating. The first half of the movie is essentially the franchise performing the motion picture equivalent of auto-fellatio with all the self-referential crud. Admittedly, some of it did make my inner fanboy smile a few times, but that doesn't necessarily make it good. The movie does introduce some neat twists to the mythos about halfway through the film, but they feel underdeveloped. The sad thing is, a lot of what the movie sets up could very well play out nicely in a sequel, but if the same creative team is back for that one, I'm not holding my breath for the next one to be any better.

Emilia Clarke is horrible as Sarah Connor. She comes off less like a badass and more like a petulant teenager. Jai Courtney is kinda just there as Kyle Reese, delivering a performance that is generic at best (sad that Anton Yelchin may have been better). J.K. Simmons is wasted in a thankless role, while Matt Smith, though not in a thankless role, is nevertheless painfully underutilized (thankfully, assuming there is a sequel, he might be given a much larger role; he was pretty gnarly during his limited screen time). Jason Clarke's John Connor lacks the menace necessary for his character's arc (Christian Bale would have been perfect...damn it). As for Arnold...well, he's Arnold. Exactly what you expect, no more, no less.

Good effects and action scenes, and overall the movie isn't as bad as the critics say it is, but what sucks is, considering all that is good about the movie, that it could have been so much better with a few more rewrites and better casting. As is, it's okay at best.

C

Old 07-03-2015, 07:34 PM   #633
Mooney
Socialphobic

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Because if so, that's dangerously close to my screenplay for Titanic 2, which in it's current draft, is "Remember when we built that unsinkable ship and it sank? Let's do that again, except this time not be stupid again so that it doesn't sink. OH SHIT IT'S SINKING." I plan to take legal action.
Titanic II (2010)

1.6/10

On the 100th anniversary of the original voyage, a modern luxury liner christened "Titanic 2," follows the path of its namesake. But when a tsunami hurls an ice berg into the new ship's path, the passengers and crew must fight to avoid a similar fate.

Good luck with your lawsuit.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #634
Order 66
Socialphobic

Jai Courtney as kyle Reese has to be the worst casting decision ever

Old 07-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #635
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
Jai Courtney as kyle Reese has to be the worst casting decision ever
As bad as he was, Khaleesi Connor was worse...a LOT worse.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:16 AM   #636
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

The critics panned it but it really scared me....I think I'm just frightened by spelunking though.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #637
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I wanted to watch that movie thinking it'd be horrible.
If it's slightly frightening then even better!

Old 07-05-2015, 12:39 AM   #638
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Just watched Joe Dirt again. 10/10

Old 07-05-2015, 02:26 AM   #639
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

The babadook

Please hold me

Old 07-05-2015, 08:49 AM   #640
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I found that what calmed me down was the explanation that the Babadook was their grief and the more the mother denied that it was there, the more it grew and became more scary. But when she accepted it, it became more manageable. And that's why they continued to feed it, at the end...because it's something that never goes away and needs ongoing management. It kinda took the malevolent sting out of it, a bit.

Also I will never watch it again.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #641
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post

hahah yesss. as much as I "enjoyed" it - never again.

Minions: 5/10

enjoyed Despicable Me 1& 2 before, these tiny fucks just crack me up.
Minions has a lot more of them talking in this hilarious mix of French/English/Spanish whatever, might not be as funny if you don't catch much of what they say, no idea, I loved it.

Sadly only the first 15 minutes are really good - the plot after that is a pile of steaming shit.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:09 AM   #642
vixnix
Socialphobic

It just pressed too many of my childhood terror buttons. A book about a scary black mean monster man that becomes real? OH NO YOU DIDN'T

Old 07-05-2015, 09:15 AM   #643
vixnix
Socialphobic

I thought minions was really confused - it wanted to be happy slapstick for little kids, but there were zombies with chainsaws and some really nail biting tension scenes, constant references to the 60s which kids don't get, and adults who are at this film are not going to particularly enjoy beyond a kind of kitsch value. I would have thought that the 80s/90s would have been a better vein to mine.

I haven't seen the earlier films - not for any reason other than that I don't tend to watch kids films unless I'm taking mine and we didn't catch those two. So I might have enjoyed this one more if I'd seen the first two. It did have some funny moments though.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #644
Order 66
Socialphobic

i heard everybody raving about babadook for months then finally saw it... seemed like pretty much every other movie in that genre imo. still pretty decent though

Old 07-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #645
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
seemed like pretty much every other movie in that genre imo. still pretty decent though

.... really?

not like most modern horror films at all imo

Old 07-05-2015, 11:29 AM   #646
Order 66
Socialphobic

i mean... it wasn't cheesy or a slasher flick. if it seems like that's what i was getting at.

just seems like i've pretty much seen the same movie hundreds of times before. it was alright i just feel like i saw a different movie than everybody else did

Old 07-05-2015, 10:42 PM   #647
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Antarctica (1983)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085991/

amazing images if you love snow and ice, but Bambi is a feel-good movie compared to this. 2 hours of pure torture for my fragile dog loving heart

7/10

Old 07-05-2015, 10:47 PM   #648
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Spoilers vix!!!

Old 07-06-2015, 01:24 AM   #649
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Selma was really good except for the shitty john legend & common song

Old 07-06-2015, 02:15 AM   #650
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
I found that what calmed me down was the explanation that the Babadook was their grief and the more the mother denied that it was there, the more it grew and became more scary. But when she accepted it, it became more manageable. And that's why they continued to feed it, at the end...because it's something that never goes away and needs ongoing management. It kinda took the malevolent sting out of it, a bit.

I wondered for a while if the babadook was just a manifestation of something like that but the end wasn't too subtle and didn't creep me out as much as when she was going crazy. It made me uncomfortable to say the least

Old 07-06-2015, 02:42 AM   #651
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I watch The World's End...it took me three tries to get through it so needless to say I didn't find it very interesting. B wanted to watch it though : \

Old 07-06-2015, 08:21 AM   #652
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I rented the indie movie "Spring" yesterday on iTunes. It's set in Italy and involves an American who gets involved with an Italian woman who appears to be a vampire....or something.

Not terribly original premise, but they did a great job with cinematography (which shouldn't be difficult filming on the Italian coast) and both the lead actors do a great job. Probably could have been 20 minutes shorter. I think it was over 2 hours long. Good indie horror story. Pretty good acting. Slight twist on the vampire/succubus story.

I give it a B+

Old 07-06-2015, 08:29 AM   #653
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Old 07-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #654
Cool As Ice Cream

I watched "Daens" again. It wasn't good. Not at all like how I remembered this movie.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:43 AM   #655
FoolofaTook

ok thnx 4 sharing

ANYWAYS as i was saying i am about to watch the turin horse. i liked werkmeister harmonies or whatever the fuck that foreign faggotry is called so i am looking forward to this immensely.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:44 AM   #656
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
I watch The World's End...it took me three tries to get through it so needless to say I didn't find it very interesting. B wanted to watch it though : \
I didn't hate it, but yeah it's the weakest of the cornetto trilogy films... Shaun of the Dead is by far the best.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:46 AM   #657
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
my brother made me watch grandma's boy.

my father made me read ellen g white.

my mother likes dr. phil

i have shed them like a worn snakeskin. you can too. i believe in you.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:01 AM   #658
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
ok thnx 4 sharing
ur welcome

Old 07-06-2015, 12:10 PM   #659
Jerry's Ray
Demi-God

Terminator Genesys: This was a surprise to me. I really enjoyed it. It was batshit cray and was an absolute clusterfuck in terms of coherent story (definitely one of the most non-sensical mainstream time travel movies I've come across) but I didn't mind. They got a lot of good stuff in it and I'm genuinely looking forward to what they do next. 7/10.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:44 AM   #660
FoolofaTook

The Turin Horse was very grim and heavy.