Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2017, 07:35 PM   #1
Insight_Scoop
Demi-God

Default Bill says he can slip into his old voice

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...guy/746344001/

Quote:
Q: So you'd feel like you're covering yourself almost if you tried to mimic that voice from your earlier work?

A: It's weird sometimes. I'll do it just to freak fans out. It's like a ghost that shows up.
Whole thing is worth a read. I don't think he's completely bullshitting because he kind of does slip into it here (in the chorus).

https://youtu.be/J5RjBtcgwQk

Edit: I think youtube removed embed links? At least on mobile. All I can do is copy the URL. *shrug*

Last edited by pavementtune : 10-12-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:56 PM   #2
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insight_Scoop View Post

I don't think he's completely bullshitting because he kind of does slip into it here (in the chorus).
I don't think he's fully bullshitting either, while I haven't read this yet, I had odd acoustic pings of "whoa what is happening, this is the voice I know better than any other" several times during gigs in the past couple of years.
How much he can do it on the spot, willingly, and how much is extreme effort or actual slipping, I have no idea.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:08 PM   #3
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Of course he can. He's been acting like a huge jerk since 2004 about it.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:09 PM   #4
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

"...
Q: You have such a great, unique voice. But when you're young, as you've mentioned, uniqueness is not sometimes what you want to be or what others want you to be. When you started, what did you and others think of your voice?

A: I hated it. And I got very little positive feedback. Thankfully my band was cool with it. It's not like they patted me on the back and told me I'm a good singer, but they embraced by voice top to bottom -- the way I sang, the lyrics I wrote and the music I wanted to write. And as I've gotten older, I'm really grateful for how supportive they were. I have been critical in ways that, again, were not graceful. But when I really look back, I realize I couldn't have accomplished anything without them. They gave me that vote of confidence that nobody else gave.

Q: When I read Neil Young's book "Waging Heavy Peace," he talked about how no one liked his voice in the early days. It's like your voice -- when you hear it, you know who it is immediately and if you're into it, you love it.

A: Yeah, my dad was a great singer and a musician and he told me, "You can't sing." So, if your own father is telling you that you don't have what it takes, you know. And I love and respect my father. It was very difficult. The breakthrough for me was thinking of my voice as a guitar part. And once I did that, I thought I could orchestrate my voice among the other bunch of noise. I eventually developed whatever that thing is. It's so unconscious at this point that I don't even realize it. I was doing an interview the other day and the guys said my voice is changing, but honestly, it's exactly the same. I just sing different in character. I can sing all those old songs the exact same way -- my voice is totally intact. My voice on the new album is actually the way I sing. It's the least unadorned voice I've ever used.

Q: So you'd feel like you're covering yourself almost if you tried to mimic that voice from your earlier work?

A: It's weird sometimes. I'll do it just to freak fans out. It's like a ghost that shows up."

Old 10-12-2017, 08:37 PM   #5
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
"...
Q: You have such a great, unique voice...
Whenever anyone starts a sentence like this when talking to Billy Corgan, you can completely ignore everything else that follows.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:41 PM   #6
T&T
Socialphobic

I call BS. dude wants to make bank and if he could he would, but he just can't anymore. dude got old, it's ok.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
I call BS. dude wants to make bank and if he could he would, but he just can't anymore. dude got old, it's ok.
yeah. I think he can still sing like in the old days to a certain degree, but it's not as natural. He has to push himself and I think you can hear this on recent tours and on Ogilala. Most singers, and especially most men, experience a loss in range and depth to their singing voices as they get older.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:31 PM   #8
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
I can sing all those old songs the exact same way -- my voice is totally intact.
fuckin do it then

he cannot possibly think the new voice sounds better, right?

Old 10-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #9
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Old 10-13-2017, 03:31 PM   #10
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
yeah. I think he can still sing like in the old days to a certain degree, but it's not as natural. He has to push himself and I think you can hear this on recent tours and on Ogilala. Most singers, and especially most men, experience a loss in range and depth to their singing voices as they get older.
I love how you guys talk about Billy as if he ever had a good voice.

His voice always sucked... easily the worst thing about the Pumpkins. How he ever became as commercially successful as he has with his singing voice is a mystery to modern marketing.

It's like comparing turds with shit and trying to say that the turds are better.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #11
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Talking

GOODBYE ALL YOU WEEEEEIRDOS

Old 10-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #12
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Blossom View Post
I love how you guys talk about Billy as if he ever had a good voice.

His voice always sucked... easily the worst thing about the Pumpkins. How he ever became as commercially successful as he has with his singing voice is a mystery to modern marketing.

It's like comparing turds with shit and trying to say that the turds are better.
it's technically bad but had p e r s o n a l i t y

Old 10-14-2017, 02:21 AM   #13
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
it's technically bad but had p e r s o n a l i t y

Old 10-15-2017, 08:46 AM   #14
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

Saw the show @ Murmrr last night and as soon as he started playing some of the old SP stuff, he absolutely went back into that vocal style. Especially noticeable on Muzzle. It's as if the muscle memory in his vocal cords takes over

Old 10-15-2017, 04:42 PM   #15
patj825
Pledge

Yup. I was there too, last night. The 2nd set was amazing. Sounded like his voice hadn't changed a bit since the 90s.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:12 PM   #16
T&T
Socialphobic

vid or aud/sbd or it didn't happen

Old 10-15-2017, 05:47 PM   #17
Insight_Scoop
Demi-God

Still a lot of vibrato, but I hear a little bit of the of the old style poking through

P.S. looks like he played Gossamer too

Last edited by reprise85 : 10-15-2017 at 07:19 PM.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:17 PM   #18
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

gossamer sounds great