Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2019, 10:00 PM   #1
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Listen. I don't play drums, but why the hate for Mike Byrne?

Obviously he's a talented musician. What's the beef?

Old 04-13-2019, 11:24 PM   #2
bright_doom
Ownz

Old 04-13-2019, 11:57 PM   #3
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

From a McDonald's employee to a professional musician for a few years:

Old 04-13-2019, 11:59 PM   #4
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

he was terrible for SP. great in his other band.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:04 AM   #5
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Old 04-14-2019, 12:43 AM   #6
Skradgee
Boardcaster

Nice guy, bad fit.
He tried.
Blame Pedobear Billy.
The guy was doomed from the start.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:24 AM   #7
T&T
Socialphobic

he had no jawline
and all the fried chicken made him have slippy fingers with the drum sticks.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:05 AM   #8
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Mike Byrne vs Jimmy Chamberlain - The Ultimate Showdown

which one wins?

Old 04-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #9
T&T
Socialphobic

does mike still get driven around by his mom in her minivan?

vs, does jimmy even have a mom?

Old 04-14-2019, 11:22 AM   #10
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Great idea for a thread, really looking forward to this discussion.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:42 PM   #11
Ram27
dumb

who

Old 04-14-2019, 02:59 PM   #12
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
who
Jimmy chamberlin

Old 04-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #13
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Exclamation

Chamberlain... The Ultimate Horseshit / Vol. 1 -please!

Old 04-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #14
SPLATTER
Demi-God

Mike's mom's minivan

v

Jimmy's white van

Old 04-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #15
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

more like chamberLAME, am i right?

#teammike #feelthebyrne #2019 #shinyandohsoSHITE

Old 04-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #16
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

could Jim Chamberlin ever accomplish the monumental children's-electronic-drumset-going-through-a-prolapsed-anus drum sound that was laid down on Oceania? yeah, you can keep your "jazz chops," bro

Old 04-14-2019, 11:24 AM   #17
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

i don't know actually, people act as though if Oceania and Shitgarden had Jimmy drumming it would somehow be better. really wouldn't make much of a difference

Really, we should embrace him b/c BC has been a dick towards him

Old 04-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #18
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i always thought he got much more hate than he deserved. naturally every SP fan became a drum expert and there would be postoffs on the board describing in detail how and why he fucked up the fill to Tristessa.

drummers are by far the most underrated musicians in a band, in the sense that once you take them out or replace them, nothing sounds the same and everything receives a different bone structure. even with a straight 4/4 drummer, like, try to picture Nirvana (yes sorry rock 101 example) with Tommy Lee on drums instead of Grohl. everything changes. so let alone with kind of a one-off musician like Jimmy. he is (was) truly special in what he does (did). no one could ever really sound right playing his parts except him.

tl;dr, Byrne is a powerful young drummer, kudos to him for getting such a big gig at such an early age. he tried his best, it was never quite right, and if i didn't know better about Purple Vicco'rrigan's streak for self sabotage i'd even dare to guess he was being set up to fail.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #19
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Oceania was great with him, it would’ve been a mid career masterpiece that would’ve kept SP at least as popular as modern day AiC if Iha and Jimmy had played on it.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:22 PM   #20
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Oceania was great with him, it would’ve been a mid career masterpiece that would’ve kept SP at least as popular as modern day AiC if Iha and Jimmy had played on it.
yet I can hardly remember a single melody from it

Old 04-14-2019, 11:36 AM   #21
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

He’s like that kid in your high school at the talent show who would get standing ovations from the whole school. Definitely talented, but not good enough to be successful. That’s really all there is to it. He has no touch, it just was bam bam all the time. SP is a band that demands touch, which is Jimmy’s best skill, as a jazz drummer.

That being said, Corgan destroyed the kid, and that’s awful.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:54 PM   #22
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
He’s like that kid in your high school at the talent show who would get standing ovations from the whole school. Definitely talented, but not good enough to be successful. That’s really all there is to it. He has no touch, it just was bam bam all the time. SP is a band that demands touch, which is Jimmy’s best skill, as a jazz drummer.

That being said, Corgan destroyed the kid, and that’s awful.
Agree on all counts. Sad times. Sad times.

Minimal dynamic sense, zero personal style, not as technically proficient at replicating JC’s parts as other drummers (Matt Walker was better in this regard), mostly - played the drums, not the songs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29DwZkz0jWI

Probably not the most of his egregious of sins but i can't be bothered watching his stuff again - but this over playing ... just urgh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka6AlxE_Jkw

Then again. Wilk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aFfcXu06Nk yeesh :\

Kudos for servicing some of JC's parts - but mostly he was worse that some of the cover band drummers you see pop up on here... This is mostly ghastly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x5AazICdr4 ...

As for those who say he was great in his Math Rock band. He was clearly better suited to that style it seems - but did he stand apart from his contemporaries in that genre though? Not in the least. Sorry.

Anyway, palette cleanser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Imf_anNCY

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
I know squat about drumming but am very suggestible, so every time someone was like "Can you believe he hit the tom at 1:06 during Cherub Rock at the 9/11/01 headliner in New York" I would just nod and be like "Yes, who does this joker think he is"
:lol:

Old 04-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #23
Ram27
dumb

Agreed about Oceania. Only SP record since 2000 that felt like it had some sort of soul and warmth to it. Might've just been the production, or Billy getting excited with a whole new lineup....but as that era went on the whole thing just got awkward. The whole band had an impossible role to fill, trying to compete with the past. Mike had the hardest time because Jimmy's such a virtuoso and has been drumming longer than Mike has been alive. The age/experience difference in the band was weird too - I'm sure part of the reason he sounds better doing his math rock stuff is because he's with his peers, not trying to be a contributing musician as a mcdonalds worker writing songs with the guy who started and embiggened the band in the first place

re: hate I think part of it was just frustration at how SP was getting shittier and shittier and MB was an easy target. I was a dumb kid just starting to play around that era and it was fun bitching about it too

Old 04-15-2019, 09:13 AM   #24
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
Agreed about Oceania. Only SP record since 2000 that felt like it had some sort of soul and warmth to it. Might've just been the production, or Billy getting excited with a whole new lineup....but as that era went on the whole thing just got awkward. The whole band had an impossible role to fill, trying to compete with the past. Mike had the hardest time because Jimmy's such a virtuoso and has been drumming longer than Mike has been alive. The age/experience difference in the band was weird too - I'm sure part of the reason he sounds better doing his math rock stuff is because he's with his peers, not trying to be a contributing musician as a mcdonalds worker writing songs with the guy who started and embiggened the band in the first place

re: hate I think part of it was just frustration at how SP was getting shittier and shittier and MB was an easy target. I was a dumb kid just starting to play around that era and it was fun bitching about it too
Absolutely. It is the only SP2 release where Corgan seemed to let the songs cook, so to speak. It feels very organic and has a certain vibe about it. The songs are the most proggy, Grateful Dead hippie music he’d ever done, and he was incredibly excited about it. I know the album is regarded very well outside of here, and that’s because it is solid overall even with Mike and shitty vocals. But even his vocals—outside of Wildflower—aren’t bad and don’t seem half assed like everything else SP2.345.

I’m probably fond of the album and the early live incarnations because I saw them front row at Cain’s Ballroom play Oceania the whole way through and Corgan was so feeling it, and the band seemed very organic, excited about the album. It was sold out, in a tiny venue, and the air was really electric. By the end of the tour we had gotten asscrack, 1/10th full arenas, etc and the band seemed to very visibly falling apart at the seams...but the beginning had lots of potential.

Like most Corgan things, it started earnestly, but he killed it.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:35 PM   #25
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Red face

Old 04-14-2019, 02:06 PM   #26
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Talking

Old 04-14-2019, 03:17 PM   #27
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

He was fine and not the worst SP drummer.

Billy made a bad choice - like replacing Messi with some kid off the streets because he can do some fancy tricks - but the kid was decent and almost did Jimmy Chamberlins job, which is a massive achievement.

The hate is mostly jealousy from people upset that Billy didn’t ride in and save them from their fast food jobs.

Old 04-14-2019, 04:14 PM   #28
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Still available as a drummer by his website. And you can still have drumming lessons:

http://www.mikebyrnedrums.com

"Mike Byrne is a drummer and musician based out of Seattle, Washington. From 2009 to 2014, Mike played drums for multi-platinum alternative rock band, The Smashing Pumpkins. While with the Smashing Pumpkins, he recorded on several releases including Oceania, the band’s eighth major release. In addition, Mike has performed on several major tours on arena and festival stages worldwide. Mike is also a founding member of Portland based loop-rock band, Bearcubbin’!, and has recently worked with such artists as Kesha, Børns, and Moon Honey."

http://www.mikebyrnedrums.com/#lessons-section

"Mike is currently available for touring, session work, scoring, and drum lessons. Mike is an accomplished drum teacher and teaches students of all ages and abilities. Lessons are available in person at Mike’s studio in the Wallingford neighborhood of Seattle and also via Skype to students in other parts of the country or world."

A Smashing Pumpkins song he posted as a reference for his work:

Old 04-14-2019, 05:34 PM   #29
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

sounds pretty good on that

Old 04-15-2019, 09:16 AM   #30
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Also that version of Tonight Tonight is probably my favorite live arrangement.