Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is Billy Corgan a sociopath?
Yes 23 52.27%
No 10 22.73%
Yes again 11 25.00%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #1
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Exclamation Is Billy Corgan a sociopath?

I think we have all the evidence we need to answer this amongst ourselves. The latest debacle with D'arcy is just the icing on the cake by now.

Here's a short list of reasons why I think he may be a sociopath:

1. He can be very charming and alluring, especially during past decades. Remember that recent story that surfaced about how he had manipulated 2-3 weirdos into doing shit for him in the 1980s?

2. He is extremely sensitive to criticism, during the last two album releases he quoted some reviews and their ratings by heart because he felt he deserved higher scores. [Same shit happened when that Chicago paper tore Siamese Dreams lyrics apart]

3. He's generally paranoid and doesn't believe in basic institutional powers such as the government. See the Alex Jones episodes.

4. He's a compulsive liar. He lies all the time. Meets no deadlines whatsoever and almost always breaks promises [2009-2018]

5. He holds a grand imagine of himself. He has on multiple occasions compared himself to bigger stars/musicians than himself, most recently Lou Reed, but also Kurt Cobain and others. [Put 25 on 32, do it]

6. He's a narcissist. This one is self-evident since he seems to always search for external validation from others and if he doesn't get it - he usually ends up slandering them [Members of Zwan, D'arcy]

7. Cold and calculating persona.

Last edited by PuzzledMuzzle : 04-10-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:40 PM   #2
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Also, this is just what's in the public eye. Imagine knowing the guy.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Even though narcissists and sociopaths share some characteristics, they aren't identical. I'm no doctor or nothin', but he seems more like a narcissist than a sociopath.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:57 PM   #4
pinetree
Ownz

Also in 90% of his instagram posts he uses the word "for" in the most annoying and pretentious way ever

Old 04-10-2018, 07:09 PM   #5
RAWK
Pledge

I don't think we need a poll. This is a fact. If you try to dispute it, you are just in denial.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:28 PM   #6
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Even though narcissists and sociopaths share some characteristics, they aren't identical. I'm no doctor or nothin', but he seems more like a narcissist than a sociopath.
this. he also has borderline traits. that kind of hot/cold personality where he loves people and then hates them and there's little middle ground, and everyone is just walking on eggshells waiting for the next time he'll blow up

Old 04-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #7
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuzzledMuzzle View Post
4. He's a compulsive liar. He lies all the time. Meets no deadlines whatsoever and almost always breaks promises [2009-2018]
is this even a recent problem? I'm sure it's been like that forever. He could just hide it better when he was successful and the label afforded him doing more things.
dude's had unfinished projects since the beginning of time. going back (sorry I'll forget a few)
American Gothic... spawn of residency songs... I'm sure he had a bigger plan here.
chicago kid
Zwan, djali zwan, zwan live
Last SP album, Abbey road style at the Metro
machina as a double album
adore was a start/start, "3 weeks in LA" he promised d'arcy/// disaster...
starchildren
There's got to be a bunch of 'books/memoirs stuff that's also fallen between the cracks..
lilith fair
gish month
produce album for manson

I don't think todays instant communication media does him any favours either.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:41 PM   #8
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

The man is the textbook definition of narcissistic personality disorder. He literally does not understand how people respond to the way he treats them or how his actions and words have made him appear in the eyes of others. D'Arcy even stated recently the thinks his fans enjoy it when he treats them like shit.

To act the way he does conscious of the impact he's had on people without changing his behavior after all these many years would require no less than the capacity to tie people to train tracks while twirling a moustache.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:02 PM   #9
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Dude is all kinds of fucked up.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:29 PM   #10
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
Last SP album, Abbey road style at the Metro
Oh like a medley?

Old 04-10-2018, 11:33 PM   #11
just1dood
Amish Rake Fighter

I'd say not any more mentally unstable than this board's average user.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:40 PM   #12
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy is truly the Donald Trump of Pumpkins.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:06 AM   #13
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1dood View Post
I'd say not any more mentally unstable than this board's average user.
if you are just1dood, then why are there two dudes in your avatar

Old 04-11-2018, 01:07 AM   #14
redbreegull

Old 04-11-2018, 01:07 AM   #15
redbreegull

pwned, bro

Old 04-11-2018, 02:32 AM   #16
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
The man is the textbook definition of narcissistic personality disorder. He literally does not understand how people respond to the way he treats them or how his actions and words have made him appear in the eyes of others. D'Arcy even stated recently the thinks his fans enjoy it when he treats them like shit.

To act the way he does conscious of the impact he's had on people without changing his behavior after all these many years would require no less than the capacity to tie people to train tracks while twirling a moustache.
Came on here to post this, he absolutely falls into this category which makes a lot of his more 'interesting' behaviour understandable. He has lots of positive traits too, but really does match so many of the characteristic of NPD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcis...ality_disorder - take a read of this, it could have been written about Billy

Old 04-11-2018, 08:37 AM   #17
Candy Cane
Demi-God

Location: Where the willows weep and the whirpools sleep you'll find me.

None of you even really know Billy. I highly doubt he's a sociopath. But I suppose we need threads like this since the music isn't worth talking about anymore.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:42 AM   #18
artvase
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Cane View Post
None of you even really know Billy. I highly doubt he's a sociopath. But I suppose we need threads like this since the music isn't worth talking about anymore.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:37 AM   #19
FoolofaTook

FARTFACE

Old 04-11-2018, 04:38 PM   #20
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

In his business dealings he definitely appears to be. Ultimately I think he’s extremely insecure and has always had feelings of inadequacy stemming from sort of childhood and adolescent trauma. I think he overcompensates and lashes out as a result of any criticism. Because despite putting on the air of ‘big tough arrogant rock star’ he’s actually hypersensitive and criticism wounds him. But removing any sort of excuses for his bad behavior, he’s just a childish, pampered rich guy, who acts like a huge asshole way too often.

It has been made very clear to us that someone has hurt you Billy, who hurt you?

Old 04-11-2018, 04:48 PM   #21
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

I think he's just a prick.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #22
FoolofaTook

ol' couch ass

Old 04-11-2018, 08:31 PM   #23
fuzzyroes
Banned

Remember how Sharone Osborne said in her book that he started swearing and raging at Kelly Osborne when she was a little girl, just because she sat in his seat while he got up to use the washroom?

That's definitely some weird shit

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 04-11-2018 at 08:48 PM.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:43 PM   #24
T&T
Socialphobic

billy's fucked up.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:50 PM   #25
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Billy is contaminated with paranoia.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #26
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
It has been made very clear to us that someone has hurt you Billy, who hurt you?

Old 04-19-2018, 10:06 AM   #27
artvase
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
FARTFACE
your father was a cuckold with a cheap belt buckle your mother was a flower with a meth mouth chuckle

Old 04-23-2018, 09:19 PM   #28
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Hey yo. I have a master’s degree in social work for what it’s worth and a background in clinical work (aka diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders.) I’ll be the first to admit that diagnosing celebrities is slippery business at best, and that one professional’s opinion is hardly ever the final word on a client, so take this with a grain of salt. But in my opinion Billy is NOT by any stretch a sociopath (a word we typically use to describe someone with no empathy, no morals, and no normal emotions like love, fear, hope, etc.)

What Billy definitely does seem to be however is someone with very strong narcisstiic tendencies. Unlike sociopaths, narcissists are not intrinsically cold and unfeeling. They are arguably extremely sensitive people, in fact, who just lack empathy for others as a byproduct of having developed a maladaptive way of dealing with the world which includes being so self-aborsobed as to not notice when they are psychologically nut-punching others or to be extremely efficient at rationalizing said nut-punches.

The reason I would put forward that BALD BULL is on the narcisstistic spectrum moreso than being a sociopath is that he has consistently demonstrated an incredible wealth of powerful emotional sensitivity not in the least through his music. My take on him is that he was born with a strong dispossession toward emotionality and moral virtue but had his natural self abused so badly as to be left scarred, burned, disfigured, and an unrecognizable monstrosity...more or less the emotional equivalent of a burn victim.

Thus while BULLY annoys the hell out of me, I feel a great degree of compassion for the pain he has suffered throughout his life, and I have tremendous respect for the degree to which he has found the courage and fortitude to live a normal, functional existence, even if he fails at it quite spectacularly sometimes.

There is no faking the raw emotion in his voice, his words, and his music in a song like “Disarm.” That is literally the cry for help and redemption by a person completely emotionally disfigured (“disarm-ed”) by unimaginable early childhood abuse. Billy is NOT sociopath. Wounded as fuck, yes. A horrible person by many measures, yes. But a man without a heart? Hell no.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:45 PM   #29
jczeroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
This.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:11 AM   #30
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Lightbulb

Expert talk: