Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2016, 04:19 PM   #241
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i can't think of a record that spoke so quietly for me the first time around, but with each successive listen, started to reveal itself more and more with its many, many nuances and soft touches. it really is beautifully crafted for the most part.
OK computer did that to me, but i was 15 at the time and didn't know to expect this sort of thing from radiohead.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:50 PM   #242
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

can we please return to the tangential topic of men shaving their legs?

Old 05-20-2016, 05:53 PM   #243
FoolofaTook

oh and this recording of true love waits is SUPREMELY SENESCENT, placing it amongs the elevated rankings of the upper echelons of sonic sublimity, joining such seminal tunes as Climbing Up the Walls, How to Disappear Completely, and Fake Plastic Treez.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:31 PM   #244
redbreegull

Quote:

this is definitely a big step sideways for radiohead.

i think this record showcases johnny greenwood at his absolute prime. the beautifully creative guitar work (ful stop, decks dark, that gorgeous fucking delayed harpstrum on identikit), the brilliant orchestrations, the choral arrangements - this just really goes to show how musically flawless this guy is. his presence alone is a huge part of what makes this record so enchanting to me.
a step sideways is a good way to describe it. It sounds just like the Radiohead we know, but then there's this second layer to all the songs that give everything a bit of a twist.

The orchestration is something else that fell flat for me the first time I listened (I actually thought it threw off the groove of some of the songs when the strings come in). Now I can't imagine these songs without the string section. The horror movie screeching in Burn the Witch basically makes the song for me. And the thing the orchestra does at 3:40 in The Numbers sends shivers down my spine. Reminds me of something off Madman Across the Water or Harvest.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:51 PM   #245
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

Did Johnny compose all the strings arrangements? That explains

Old 05-20-2016, 10:08 PM   #246
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Both are trash. Axl is a dick, Taylor a bitch. Not that different.
Axl Rose is an articulate intelligent guy though. Taylor swift is dumber than a bag of sand and shallower than most 14 year olds.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:16 AM   #247
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

my opinion is still so liquid (and i enjoy that) but the conclusion i'm arriving at again and again is that, although the songs themselves might not be as strong as their top work (as i mentioned before, they feel a bit sketchy sometimes - which may be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective), the creative arrangements, the lush and intriguing production work, and the accurate execution, makes up for it.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:18 AM   #248
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i just love those sprinkling, tinkling stacked layers of piano scattered throughout the record

and that trippy sound effect, that i could only describe as "cotton wool", at the end of Tinker Sailor

Old 05-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #249
redbreegull

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...psxhkyrpcn.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...psqygj7ek5.gif

Old 05-22-2016, 04:41 PM   #250
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I'm sure it's completely by accident but I've always hated the pompous look on his face, staring directly at the camera, as if he's the one being photographed.

I'm sure as a celebrity you're painfully aware of a camera's presence but something about that pic always rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe it's his posture but he looks painfully self-inflated.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:52 PM   #251
redbreegull

That's funny cause it is probably by accident, but it always looked to me like he was doing it to be funny, like look at me get in this random woman's photo

that's his ex with him btw

Old 05-22-2016, 05:43 PM   #252
thomas_bland
Ownz

Finally listened to the album. Pretty disappointing but I'll take people's advice and try a few listens. Other than the singles Decks Dark and Ful Stop stand out. TLW isn't murdered as horribly as I was led to believe so that's another saving grace.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:55 PM   #253
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I've only listened to it once, but I wasn't really paying attention and probably wouldn't be able to appreciate it anyway because I kind of lost interest in music again lately. It kind of goes in waves. I'll try again when I can bring myself to care about stuff.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:15 PM   #254
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_bland View Post
Finally listened to the album. Pretty disappointing but I'll take people's advice and try a few listens. Other than the singles Decks Dark and Ful Stop stand out. TLW isn't murdered as horribly as I was led to believe so that's another saving grace.
disappointing even in comparison to TKOL? I'm not sure I have seen a single person argue that it's a step down from that.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:24 AM   #255
thomas_bland
Ownz

I'm not going to argue that, It's been a while since I listened but looking back at the tracklist its definitely closer to everyday music for me, Magpie, Seperator and Bloom all stuck in my head. I love Codex. The album's flawed (and brief) f'sure but it's stuck in my head, too early to tell whether AMSP will do the same, I hope so.

12 hours down the line and my feelings towards TLW is somewhat souring things though.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:56 AM   #256
redbreegull

The closing tracks on their albums often feel disconnected from the rest to me. TLW still seems out of place to me, but Codex, Videotape, Street Spirit also all have a vibe that feels different than the rest of the albums they belong to.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:31 PM   #257
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

codex is not the last track on king of limb. probably just a lapse but still worth mentioning.

anyway how can you guys not see how brilliantly they used True Love Waits as an album closer? after an album that starts off with Burn The Witch (also older piece brilliantly contextualized to seemingly speak about the longtime partner who left), and slowly disintegrating throughout the record... it's just the darkest album closer. it could be viewed as wry, dark commentary or as sincere faith in love. and it's calling a lover to stay, long after it's been well established that they're gone.

i mean i dug it. it really hit me super hard and i think it's one of their best album closer, or maybe second to The Tourist. Motion Picture Soundtrack is there somewhere too.
i'm so grateful to be alive in the time of radiohead.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:00 PM   #258
redbreegull

Quote:
codex is not the last track on king of limb. probably just a lapse but still worth mentioning.

anyway how can you guys not see how brilliantly they used True Love Waits as an album closer? after an album that starts off with Burn The Witch (also older piece brilliantly contextualized to seemingly speak about the longtime partner who left), and slowly disintegrating throughout the record... it's just the darkest album closer. it could be viewed as wry, dark commentary or as sincere faith in love. and it's calling a lover to stay, long after it's been well established that they're gone.

i mean i dug it. it really hit me super hard and i think it's one of their best album closer, or maybe second to The Tourist. Motion Picture Soundtrack is there somewhere too.
i'm so grateful to be alive in the time of radiohead.
yeah I meant Separator, not sure why Codex popped into my head

I don't dislike TWE studio version, but I also don't think it's one of the best songs on the album. I do prefer the old version, but my thought was that TWE was probably written for/about Thom's ex and the new version is like a mournful look back.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:49 AM   #259
Cool As Ice Cream

twe?

Old 05-24-2016, 02:50 AM   #260
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
disappointing even in comparison to TKOL? I'm not sure I have seen a single person argue that it's a step down from that.
why do you always have to compare?

Old 05-24-2016, 02:51 AM   #261
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
twe?
dude I don't know I meant TLW as in true love waits, my mind is malfunctioning severely today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
why do you always have to compare?
there is no meaning without context

Old 05-24-2016, 02:57 AM   #262
Cool As Ice Cream

so this last radiohead album can't mean anything to you if you can't compare it to the rest of their discography?
ok.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:59 AM   #263
redbreegull

how could it even be possible to not judge an artist's new album at least somewhat in relation to what they have done in the past

Old 05-24-2016, 03:03 AM   #264
Cool As Ice Cream

why do you always have to judge?

Old 05-24-2016, 03:27 AM   #265
redbreegull

I'll be the judge of that

Old 05-24-2016, 04:12 AM   #266
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

http://2static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Ju...75_5720041.jpg

Old 05-24-2016, 05:21 AM   #267
Cool As Ice Cream

how could it even be possible

Old 05-24-2016, 09:55 PM   #268
slunken
Virgo

A POON SHAPED MULE

Old 05-24-2016, 11:37 PM   #269
redbreegull

if you listen carefully to the low murmuring at the beginning of Identikit, you can hear thom sing something about a "moon shaped pool"

I think I've OD'd on this album. I've listened to it dozens of times already and today I found I was actually tired of it. I popped in The Bends, then IR, but I didn't want to hear old Radiohead either. I just wish we had more new Radiohead already. oh well, 5 more years to go

Old 05-25-2016, 12:10 AM   #270
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/0...-this-evening/