Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2018, 05:20 AM   #1
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster
 
cardiac's Avatar
 
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,406
Default So the new line up is BC, JC, James and Jeff

As everyone guessed. There's been a mention of this in another thread, but I thought it warranted one of it's own.

Someone posted a picture from the photoshoot Billy mentioned on his instagram page. Expect this to go down real soon:




So does this mean Jeff plays bass, or is SP a three-guitar band (like Zwan) now?

 
cardiac is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:33 AM   #2
amoergosum
Minion of Satan
 
amoergosum's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,528
Default



 
amoergosum is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:37 AM   #3
amoergosum
Minion of Satan
 
amoergosum's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac View Post
So does this mean Jeff plays bass, or is SP a three-guitar band (like Zwan) now?

They need promo pictures for the "reunion". Billy, Jimmy, James and Jeff record
the new album. The unannounced bass player is only going to be there for the tour.
So it makes sense not to inclu*de him/her in the pictures. That's what I think is going on.

Last edited by amoergosum : 02-04-2018 at 05:48 AM.

 
amoergosum is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:03 AM   #4
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster
 
cardiac's Avatar
 
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
They need promo pictures for the "reunion". Billy, Jimmy, James and Jeff record
the new album. The unannounced bass player is only going to be there for the tour.
So it makes sense not to inclu*de him/her in the pictures. That's what I think is going on.
Didn't Peter Hook say that his son Jack is playing with the Pumpkins this summer? I'm not sure though, can't find a link anywhere.

 
cardiac is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:18 AM   #5
amoergosum
Minion of Satan
 
amoergosum's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac View Post
Didn't Peter Hook say that his son Jack is playing with the Pumpkins this summer? I'm not sure though, can't find a link anywhere.
That would be awful. Both Jack and Jeff have absolutely NO stage presence.

>>>




 
amoergosum is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:31 AM   #6
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster
 
cardiac's Avatar
 
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
That would be awful. Both Jack and Jeff have absolutely NO stage presence.

>>>



And that would mean the much talked about reunion is just the lineup from that video + James.

 
cardiac is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:33 AM   #7
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Forgotten Child's Avatar
 
Location: SP, Sao Paulo - Brazil
Posts: 2,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac View Post
Didn't Peter Hook say that his son Jack is playing with the Pumpkins this summer? I'm not sure though, can't find a link anywhere.
That was back when they were recording Day for Night. He would be playing that album tour with them... That could've changed now.

 
Forgotten Child is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #8
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster
 
cardiac's Avatar
 
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
That was back when they were recording Day for Night. He would be playing that album tour with them... That could've changed now.
Thank god.

I'm really hoping Jeff plays the bass this time around. If there are indeed three guitarists, I have a feeling that James' involvement will be extremely low effort. Meaning that he wouldn't have to carry the song ever, just noodle on top on suitable spots and half assedly strum along. Minimal preparation required - he'd just be there to cash the check and boost ticket sales. Had it been just him and Billy on guitars, they would've at least had to practice a lot together to make it work after all these years.

 
cardiac is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:08 PM   #9
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Forgotten Child's Avatar
 
Location: SP, Sao Paulo - Brazil
Posts: 2,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac View Post
Thank god.

I'm really hoping Jeff plays the bass this time around. If there are indeed three guitarists, I have a feeling that James' involvement will be extremely low effort. Meaning that he wouldn't have to carry the song ever, just noodle on top on suitable spots and half assedly strum along. Minimal preparation required - he'd just be there to cash the check and boost ticket sales. Had it been just him and Billy on guitars, they would've at least had to practice a lot together to make it work after all these years.
I doubt Jeff would be playing bass live tho. I guess they will have 3 guitars, Jeff's been doing most of the leads in a while, and James would probably do his usual parts from allowing Billy to focus on the singing. I'm assuming they won't be playing all songs together, not the three of them... Jeff plays a few other instruments himself, and so does Billy.

They will probably have a guest bass player live... I think Katie Cole has more changed than Jack Bates tho.

 
Forgotten Child is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:04 AM   #10
amoergosum
Minion of Satan
 
amoergosum's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,528
Default

Billy wants to play it safe.

Asking D'Arcy to join the band would have been the biggest risk obviously since nobody knows if she could handle the pressure.

Billy likes that Jeff has been loyal to him so he didn't fire him. James and Jeff have no chemistry though. Even though D'Arcy is not involved, it would have been a stronger "reunion" without Jeff.


Who knows...maybe it's gonna be awesome. I would have preferred a real reunion of course. It would have been unpredictable but the buzz would have been pretty amazing.

 
amoergosum is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:18 AM   #11
Gooch
Ownz
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Location: Pancakes in my area
Posts: 838
Default

Ah but will Jeff wear a see through shirt???

 
Gooch is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #12
amoergosum
Minion of Satan
 
amoergosum's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Ah but will Jeff wear a see through shirt???



 
amoergosum is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #13
Corgan's Bluff
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Corgan's Bluff's Avatar
 
Location: D'arcy's stable boy
Posts: 3,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
Maybe this will be more JAMES part now. Still wonder, why he wasn't involved in the recordings yet, but JEFF...

 
Corgan's Bluff is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:30 PM   #14
Bomb The Moon
Pledge
 
Bomb The Moon's Avatar
 
Posts: 243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
been away a while. this is fucking beautiful. this is why i .

 
Bomb The Moon is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:52 AM   #15
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Funbags's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,212
Default

It's even worse when you consider D'arcy was willing to come back.

Maybe they should bring back Mike as well. Just have a whole jamboree.

 
Funbags is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:02 AM   #16
Corgan's Bluff
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Corgan's Bluff's Avatar
 
Location: D'arcy's stable boy
Posts: 3,399
Default

Worst to me is that they didn't reach out to D'ARCY to improve her skills in the last two years, but left her uncertain until the recordings and having to find out herself.

 
Corgan's Bluff is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:24 AM   #17
srt4b
Ownz
 
srt4b's Avatar
 
Posts: 818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
Worst to me is that they didn't reach out to D'ARCY to improve her skills in the last two years, but left her uncertain until the recordings and having to find out herself.
How do you know they didn't do exactly that and they told her as they went into the studio?

 
srt4b is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:21 PM   #18
FoolofaTook
Immortal
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Posts: 25,917
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
Worst to me is that they didn't reach out to D'ARCY to improve her skills in the last two years, but left her uncertain until the recordings and having to find out herself.
Yeah. I'm guessing she is in no state to perform. But Billy handled it terribly.

 
FoolofaTook is online now
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:51 PM   #19
Corgan's Bluff
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Corgan's Bluff's Avatar
 
Location: D'arcy's stable boy
Posts: 3,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Yeah. I'm guessing she is in no state to perform. But Billy handled it terribly.
She probably played two years her ass off to be involved again in the band, to be confronted with the beginning of the recordings, not to be wanted at all.

 
Corgan's Bluff is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:39 AM   #20
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Shadaloo's Avatar
 
Location: up on the cross you go little fella
Posts: 1,553
Default

She even said she'd been playing bass again, and Bill said he was encouraged to hear that. It really seems like he thought a full reunion was in the cards and it turned out she wasn't capable.

Somehow I don't think the current line up would be happening unless both James and Jimmy agreed it was for the best.

Sucks but as long as they don't bill this as a reunion tour it's fine.

 
Shadaloo is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:46 AM   #21
Ram27
Minion of Satan
 
Ram27's Avatar
 
Location: if drumming was a contest we'd've all already lost - JC - 10/22/16
Posts: 6,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
She even said she'd been playing bass again, and Bill said he was encouraged to hear that. It really seems like he thought a full reunion was in the cards and it turned out she wasn't capable.

Somehow I don't think the current line up would be happening unless both James and Jimmy agreed it was for the best.

Sucks but as long as they don't bill this as a reunion tour it's fine.
I mean, according to BC/JC/many others, she wasn't capable in the 90s either

 
Ram27 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:00 PM   #22
ilikeplanets
Socialphobic
 
ilikeplanets's Avatar
 
Location: Ignore List
Posts: 12,995
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
She even said she'd been playing bass again, and Bill said he was encouraged to hear that. It really seems like he thought a full reunion was in the cards and it turned out she wasn't capable.

Somehow I don't think the current line up would be happening unless both James and Jimmy agreed it was for the best.

Sucks but as long as they don't bill this as a reunion tour it's fine.
oh that's absolutely how they're going to sell it, to as many places as will write about it too

 
ilikeplanets is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:10 PM   #23
douglas78
Apocalyptic Poster
 
douglas78's Avatar
 
Location: IL
Posts: 2,879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
oh that's absolutely how they're going to sell it, to as many places as will write about it too
Absolutely! You know for a fact this will be labeled a 30th anniversary tour to boot. It's just going to suck to see this stamped REUNION when basically all we're getting is what we've always got since 2007. Yeah well, James is in tow, but who cares? Don't call it a reunion unless it's all 4 original members...no one else.

 
douglas78 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #24
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Shadaloo's Avatar
 
Location: up on the cross you go little fella
Posts: 1,553
Default

She was capable enough to handle world tours for years and there's enough video evidence out there to prove that. Who knows now though.

 
Shadaloo is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:13 PM   #25
amoergosum
Minion of Satan
 
amoergosum's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,528
Default

Quote:
"My apologies to all of the Smashing Pumpkins fans out there who are excited about this oncoming reunion tour of the original members of the band. I know this is a huge disappointment for me, as well, but it's not going to happen [with me]," Wretzky told Blast Echo [via Alternative Nation].

She added, "I only just found about yesterday that the band has decided to go with a different bass player."

It just sucks to read this.

 
amoergosum is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:14 PM   #26
Corgan's Bluff
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Corgan's Bluff's Avatar
 
Location: D'arcy's stable boy
Posts: 3,399
Default

It's all speculation. But "I only just found about yesterday that the band has decided to go with a different bass player.” doesn't sound to me like they were much engaged on her.

Like, I guess JAMES will play guitar more on the older songs, as only JEFF is involved in the new ones.

 
Corgan's Bluff is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:18 PM   #27
MyKeyZ
Ownz
 
MyKeyZ's Avatar
 
Location: Freak U.S.A.
Posts: 704
Default

This is not The Smashing Pumpkins

This is Little Billy And The Jaybirds

 
MyKeyZ is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:46 PM   #28
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Forgotten Child's Avatar
 
Location: SP, Sao Paulo - Brazil
Posts: 2,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post

Like, I guess JAMES will play guitar more on the older songs, as only JEFF is involved in the new ones.
How do you know that?

 
Forgotten Child is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:03 PM   #29
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster
 
cardiac's Avatar
 
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
How do you know that?
Guess he meant "new" as in songs from Teargarden -> MTAE. I wouldn't want to see James play Being Beige either. Might as well play only James-era stuff including the upcoming album.

 
cardiac is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:06 PM   #30
Corgan's Bluff
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Corgan's Bluff's Avatar
 
Location: D'arcy's stable boy
Posts: 3,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac View Post
Guess he meant "new" as in songs from Teargarden -> MTAE. I wouldn't want to see James play Being Beige either. Might as well play only James-era stuff including the upcoming album.

Yes, I meant they may mostly play their period of time of involvement in the band.
And JAMES isn't yet involved in the new recordings...

 
Corgan's Bluff is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
shit fuckers can type! sickbadthing General Chat Message Board 54 04-26-2018 02:21 AM
Jeff vs. James Extremis Pumpkins Archive 107 05-12-2014 08:29 PM
netphorian haikus Dogfighter28 General Chat Archive 93 08-04-2013 11:53 AM
Post your Winamp Playlists! Mr. Rhinoceros General Chat Archive 19 01-19-2003 10:31 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:56 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2014