Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2014, 08:19 AM   #61
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Didn't he say the same thing when Oceania was released?

Old 12-11-2014, 08:19 AM   #62
lucid_interval
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
which, last time i checked, sold 10 million copies.
1 day < 20 years.

Generally, the album's doing alright in the charts, the tours are sold out, the band are doing ok

Old 12-11-2014, 08:25 AM   #63
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid_interval View Post
the tours are sold out
the venues are tiny though. it'd be hard not to sell out that tour.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #64
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

A shame if true. The difference between this and Oceania is this is a decent record that deserves some success, much like MSOTS. They're playing Being Beige on Absolute Radio here in the UK. O&A or D&F would be better, though I doubt the choice of single will make much difference.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #65
fuzzyroes
Banned

The choice of a lead single can make a world of difference. Especially when you're talking about a fringe-mainstream band... At least at this point.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #66
T&T
Socialphobic

maybe billy just doesn't give a shit.

A lot of work has been going into the re-issues and maybe that's where his focus is.
M2AE & D4N might just be contractual albums in order to get the re-issues out.
he's doing the minimum promo required by the label to back the album.
the album is a 9 songs & 33 minutes. that's not the Billy I know.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #67
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
It's all Mike's fault...
He introduced Billy to the "ADD generation".

Old 12-11-2014, 10:18 AM   #68
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

I kinda figured it was the opposite. Like Billy said "If you want the reissues you have to give me a deal for my new albums"

Old 12-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #69
smashingschnauz
Pledge

Think we need to wait until the week ends. Surely, many of the sales will come from people Christmas shopping this entire weekend and seeing it. Not sure people just run out to buy a band that to them has been away for awhile on a Tuesday when money's tight. The promotion seems to be decent with Stern, Huffington, multiple interviews, concerts and even little things like twitter. Being on amazon for the week can't hurt either.

So do iTunes sales count on billboard sales?

Oh, and im buying two this week(one for a friend for Christmas). As I said Best Buy didn't have it on the first day at 6pm.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #70
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

he should have had a duo with Taylor Swift. That would have got the kids interested. She sang on stage with Def Leppard. Surely she wouldn't turn bolly down.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #71
smashingschnauz
Pledge

Maybe we should start calling him belly, to encourage him to lose some weight, because we care about his personal wellness?

Old 12-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #72
s0ss
Demi-God

the world's on fire guys.

until im ready on sunday.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #73
Spira|_
Apocalyptic Poster

Dont bother much. Album does not have level to sell more than what it is selling.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #74
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingschnauz View Post
Maybe we should start calling him belly, to encourage him to lose some weight, because we care about his personal wellness?
That could cause him to become anorexic. He isn't a huge fatty just a bit plump, he is 47. As long as he wears clothing that fits he is fine.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #75
SpFission
Apocalyptic Poster

A: Absolutely. Maybe I have to update my opinion on what a review means, as you are right, they don't mean what they used to. Currently I am unhappy with some of the reviews of Monuments to an Elegy, because they are saying it's an average record, but nobody I know believes it's an average record. People I talk to say this is the best record I have made in twenty years, and then you come here in the UK and people start writing all these reviews saying it's just OK. What will I have to do to get a good review?

Q: I think when critics have an opinion on someone it's quite difficult for them to admit they have changed it. So it probably takes a lot for reviewers to admit this is actually a pretty good record, because, as I am sure you are aware, people have always had strong opinions on you... since the beginning it has always been either love or hate.

A: No that was just hate. Especially at the beginning...

Q: Maybe I am wrong but all things considered, the reviews I have read so far weren't actually that bad...

A: Here in UK it has been either 3 out of 5 or 7 out of 10, which means good record but nothing special. But there is no way this is an average record. I have been making records for a long time and I know when I make a pretty good one. So it's a bit strange, but like you said, it just tells me it's an irrelevancy. They really believe they hold the keys to the gates, but they don't anymore. The people hold the keys to the gates, as it should be. So it doesn't really matter anymore, that's why I am not even that upset.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #76
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't put much stock into that 17 000 estimate. How can you even tell after 1 day of sales?
Exactly. Oceania outsold most of his contemporaries besides Pearl Jam and NIN, soo....this will probably be right around where he's been recently, #4-#10.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #77
SpFission
Apocalyptic Poster

A lot of people just don't know that SP has an album out. It's as simple as that. Its all about promotion. The album is good enough to sell ok by todays standards if given the proper exposure

Old 12-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #78
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
because they are saying it's an average record, but nobody I know believes it's an average record. People I talk to say this is the best record I have made in twenty years,
oh, okay, if that's what the people you know are telling you…

Quote:
Here in UK it has been either 3 out of 5 or 7 out of 10, which means good record but nothing special. But there is no way this is an average record. I have been making records for a long time and I know when I make a pretty good one. So it's a bit strange, but like you said, it just tells me it's an irrelevancy.
BC: I'm not irrelevant, you're irrelevant!

Quote:
The people hold the keys to the gates, as it should be. So it doesn't really matter anymore, that's why I am not even that upset.
"the people" haven't been all that hot over the album either. I think it's their lowest rated album on Amazon.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:20 PM   #79
smashingschnauz
Pledge

The Pumpkins to me are a HARD band to get. If you listen to some of his popular singles you are sure to at least think they are ok. But on first listen to Belly and Co. I think it's hard to get. Some may hate his voice, some may not understand how a hard rocker can play slow corny love songs some simply are not patient enough to finish his long songs. It could be many things.

Others never have dove deep enough into his work to understand the TRUE GENIUS. And for me by TRUE GENIUS I mean one of the best song writers in history. In fact, sometime it was even hard to say Smashing Pumpkins were your favorite band because you would get shit. If people don't have the patience with Belly's music they will never understand it. I have to literally make my friends listen to it for them to understand it. Once they understood they were on board but before they'd rather listen to red hot chili peppers or alice in chains or soundgarden. Those bands seem easier to get and maybe it's just the genius in Belly that makes it hard to get.

So I think belly is wrong saying he doesn't have true fans. That's bullshit Belly. Some of us have been with you all the way and waving the flag in the face of adversity all these years and even fighting bullshit battles you started. It's not our fault you don't get great reviews because some jackass doesn't understand or like it. I say quit worrying about it and trying to promote your own legacy which is already HOF worthy.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:25 PM   #80
SpFission
Apocalyptic Poster

Agree

Old 12-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #81
SpFission
Apocalyptic Poster

I also tend to dismiss any reviewer who thought Adore was a misstep or worse, that it sucked. That means they aren't really listening to the music and their taste in it blows.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:42 PM   #82
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

The very fact that he's still got people willing to give whatever new shit he does a chance after the colossal fuckups of the past ten-odd years proves he's wrong about his fanbase being gone. Diminished to hell? Sure, but not gone.

I just wish he wouldn't expect people to kiss his ass over every thing he does.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #83
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Sure, I don't mind if people reason their dislike of Adore, but saying it outright "sucks" isn't professional. I love the album, but I can certainly understand why some would not.

But I don't think Billy should be upset about getting 7/10 reviews, which is what he's mainly getting. That's really not a bad review. It's a good album but I don't think it's a "great" album. It's just missing several elements to elevate it to that standard.

Furthermore, the fact that he freely admits and promotes the notion that MTAE is shallow pop should not in the least bit surprise him that it gets some mediocre reviews.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #84
Implosion
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't put much stock into that 17 000 estimate. How can you even tell after 1 day of sales?
So, math, right? It's a thing.

How many albums have been released and tracked by bean counters? Hundreds of thousands? Millions? Surely in such a large set of data, patterns emerge. They can take MTAE's first day sales, compare the data to similarly performing albums, et voilŕ! 17,000 records. Extrapolation!

Old 12-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #85
Virex Kills
Apocalyptic Poster

MTAE is sitting at #21 in iTunes Canada - a shame really, considering what they used to move in Canada.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #86
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
But I don't think Billy should be upset about getting 7/10 reviews, which is what he's mainly getting. That's really not a bad review. It's a good album but I don't think it's a "great" album. It's just missing several elements to elevate it to that standard.
several elements

Old 12-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #87
gyang333
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
maybe billy just doesn't give a shit.

A lot of work has been going into the re-issues and maybe that's where his focus is.
M2AE & D4N might just be contractual albums in order to get the re-issues out.
he's doing the minimum promo required by the label to back the album.
I thought MTAE and D4N were on BMG and his reissues are on EMI?

Old 12-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #88
CupOMercury
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
That could cause him to become anorexic. He isn't a huge fatty just a bit plump, he is 47. As long as he wears clothing that fits he is fine.
I disagree, Billy needs to get his ass in shape. He is trying to take over the world right? He must have a sweetheart cooking for him, and rubbing his feet. That bitch needs to be put on hold.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #89
Jerry's Ray
Demi-God

In Australia, MTAE was number 15 two days ago.

Its now sitting at 49.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #90
CupOMercury
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry's Ray View Post
In Australia, MTAE was number 15 two days ago.

Its now sitting at 49.

Ok you cry. I'll be a Billy fanatic.