Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #241
jparker800
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ss View Post
Well, I wouldn't call it quality.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:47 PM   #242
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Couldn't agree more..it's a good time to be an SP nerd right now
Yeah i agree, but its disheartening to know that without these leaks, it would SUCK. This brings life back into SP. And as a business model, why wouldn't BC want this renewed interest in all things SP? (besides the illegality of it all). It actually makes frickin sense. Release a fuckin unreleased track/ demo once in a while, BC. Keep old fans interested, get in the news, be relevant. Then I will be pumped up for your new release because it brings back nostalgia for my love for SP. Prior to the release of these demos, I was like, ok, new tour, yawn. i probably wont go. now, after these leaks, even though i know that they will not play these leaks on the tour, im like, ok, yeah, ill go. because i have a renewed interest that i didn't have last week. so ultimately, SP wins, they make more money. I even went online and bought a new SP shirt I didnt have. thats how much these leaks brought me back to SP.

(Although how friggin awesome would it be for them to play envelope woman or strength in #'s on the new tour...)

Old 03-14-2016, 05:05 PM   #243
sjpaterra
Ownz

i actually really much prefer this somewhat recently released version of I am One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v165QCaOYA

Old 03-14-2016, 05:11 PM   #244
eyeboogers
Demi-God

Appears to be the same old source for the Chicago Kid songs :-/

Old 03-14-2016, 05:17 PM   #245
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Prior to the release of these demos, I was like, ok, new tour, yawn. i probably wont go. now, after these leaks, even though i know that they will not play these leaks on the tour, im like, ok, yeah, ill go. because i have a renewed interest that i didn't have last week. so ultimately, SP wins, they make more money. I even went online and bought a new SP shirt I didnt have. thats how much these leaks brought me back to SP.

(Although how friggin awesome would it be for them to play envelope woman or strength in #'s on the new tour...)

I wanted to catch a gig on this tour anyway since I got to see a Plainsong show last year and it was fantastic. That plus JC, I'm in if I can.

For the main gig the setlist will have a SD songs suite this time, but he could still play say Sleeping Giant or Strength in Numbers at a pre-show. I'd love it, for one the songs are good, and I'd think the audience/fan reaction would be much better to that approach as it was to the fb post, let alone what the reaction could be if he starts talking about sueing a leaker on this tour.

I mean it happened already, nobody can change that, might as well make the best of it and play these songs live.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:26 PM   #246
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

no way will he play any of these leaked songs. only encourages it. keep in mind most people going to the in plainsong shows, even people going to the VIP shows, have no idea about these leaks and the last thing Bill wants to do is talk about it or explain where these songs came from. he'll never play them.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:32 PM   #247
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

he wouldn't have to explain it, would he?
when he played Pairie song or hell Jennifer Ever people didn't know these songs either. Say "never played before" and "unreleased" and people are happy anyway.
And the few who do know what they are and those who bashed SP endlessly with comments on that "those tracks were stolen" fb post until SP took it down, would likely find it funny. Win-win in my book.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:42 PM   #248
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyBullet View Post
those two are definitely fresh
No they aren't.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:42 PM   #249
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Win-win in my book.
exactly. go with it. no sense in ignoring it. its like a leaked sex video. run with it. look what it did for the kardashians. leak that shit. run with it. exploit it. use it to your advantage. to ignore it would be stoopid. In fact, even if bill leaked these hisself, that would be a smart business move. creates excitement.

it is what it is. go with it.

Arms of sheep wasnt good enough to release? but dorian is?

Old 03-14-2016, 07:06 PM   #250
palm0014
Oblivious Virgin

So...what should I label this collection of songs as if hypothetically there was already a label attached to the collection of songs?

Old 03-14-2016, 07:14 PM   #251
absof
Demi-God

caic to thread. he loves labeling stuff for itunes!!

Old 03-14-2016, 07:19 PM   #252
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by palm0014 View Post
So...what should I label this collection of songs as if hypothetically there was already a label attached to the collection of songs?
I'd love the "official" tracklisting as well. Right now I just have them in the order we got them, split into discs per era (MCIS, Machina, 2.0+)

Old 03-14-2016, 07:26 PM   #253
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Dunno about the proper tracklisting but this does seem to more or less be it, if you want a title:

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=181659

Old 03-14-2016, 07:33 PM   #254
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by absof View Post
caic to thread. he loves labeling stuff for itunes!!
caic when you give it a new name please consider this as album cover.
also I want buttons of that, I missed out on the oceania cruise souvenir buttons.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:55 PM   #255
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

Ok, so heres another question. So when Robin hood stole these tracks, how did he do it? ie: DL a bunch of files? random files? im assuming that BC has these files stored better than randomly. ie: pre MCIS, on the same cd/tape as Machina. So this person hand picked random songs? Or are there more tracks, that havnt been leaked yet? Im assuming so. And the track numbering would suggest this also. Someone had to go in there and label the song as, "14 Envelope woman". Which means there is a 12 and a 13, etc. If BC gave out cd's of stuff, like what happened with Eric Weinrich, then its not stolen - just misappropriated. Do we know the format/back story of how these were stolen? Its just odd - It would be interesting to understand why these particular tracks were stolen/released.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #256
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
If BC gave out cd's of stuff, like what happened with Eric Weinrich, then its not stolen - just misappropriated.
ding ding ding

unless - which is worth considering - the person(s) who gave out some CDRs/mp3/Flac folders at one point SAID it was okay for circulation (since not one of the takes has the quality for an official release) but obtained them in an illegal way and covered their tracks. (Corgan corrected his first claim that these could have been stolen by a fan by now, if anyone it had to be an SP employee.)

so, we won't know, I guess. Unless someone calls BC, says "yo you know, back then, I think there was a misunderstanding what to do with those tracks" and the story goes back where it belongs. into the basement of spcamp.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:49 PM   #257
s0ss
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpaterra View Post
i actually really much prefer this somewhat recently released version of I am One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v165QCaOYA

I'd rather listen to Run2Me. fuck off.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:23 PM   #258
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
Strength in Numbers is so fucking good.
I discounted it on account of the Tonite sounding intro, but it really does shine as a whole.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:18 AM   #259
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
so, we won't know, I guess. Unless someone calls BC, says "yo you know, back then, I think there was a misunderstanding what to do with those tracks" and the story goes back where it belongs. into the basement of spcamp.
I cannot remember if it was just speculation, or something more substantial, but at the time the first portion of these tracks appeared, it was said that they came from a batch of songs given by SPCamp to the now-defunct, always-ridiculed Lucky Th13rteen leet fan collective to consider for possible release.

That still sounds like a very good explanation to me, for two reasons - because that would involve SPCamp picking possible tracks from all the different eras available, and because some of the tracks are from SP2, which is when L13 came and went.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:40 AM   #260
Ram27
dumb

Yeah, that makes a ton of sense. Otherwise it'd be insane to have such a random distribution of tracks throughout the eras

If only Lucky 13 actually achieved something

Old 03-15-2016, 07:56 AM   #261
DaveKShape
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
If only Lucky 13 actually achieved something
What a fucking mess that whole thing was.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:07 AM   #262
ButterflyBullet
Demi-God

Wasn't there like some survery thing then it just went dark

Old 03-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #263
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

The SPRC might have done better if they launched it with a limited physical outtakes EP that was mailed out to people in exchange for a few dollars and their login details.

And followed it up with monthly content at itunes prices.

Or just had any sort of incentive or system.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:03 PM   #264
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

I always imagined these were songs being considered for SPRC.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:59 PM   #265
DaveKShape
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyBullet View Post
Wasn't there like some survery thing then it just went dark
Yep - just some sort of survey, like, "HOW MUCH $$$ WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO PAY AND IN WAT FORMATS???!!?1??" and then nothing else.

To be honest, I think all the Lucky 13 people were just sycophantic fanboys/girls that were too busy drinking deeply from their tangential association with B0llz to actually accomplish anything.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:49 PM   #266
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy only has 100 hardcore old fans.. and a few thousand Gen Y hipsters who will buy anything he puts out.

p.s: Fuck Billy Corgan

Old 03-15-2016, 07:27 PM   #267
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKShape View Post
Yep - just some sort of survey, like, "HOW MUCH $$$ WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO PAY AND IN WAT FORMATS???!!?1??" and then nothing else.

To be honest, I think all the Lucky 13 people were just sycophantic fanboys/girls that were too busy drinking deeply from their tangential association with B0llz to actually accomplish anything.

Wasn't someone from this board part of the L13? (Not talking about Monte or Strawberry)

Old 03-15-2016, 07:41 PM   #268
absof
Demi-God

juliana? or marie from the picture archive?

Old 03-15-2016, 10:28 PM   #269
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm not sure

edit: I think it was her
celestials

Old 03-16-2016, 12:41 AM   #270
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Interview of Monte with Billy Corgan about Lucky 13 and the reissues, May 2012:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8by66BINoj0

From the publisher's "ByStarlight Site" comment:

Interesting Smashing Pumpkins facts revealed in the interview:
* There are 40-60 hours of 'Rubano Tapes' audio and video material from early Smashing Pumpkins concerts.
* On the Pisces Iscariot reissue, 'Soothe' is the only song with a new mix. On the original Pisces Iscariot release, 'Soothe' was from a home demo that was mixed to a DAT machine.
* The working title of 'X.Y.U.' was 'Spum'. The version of 'X.Y.U.' that appeared on Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness was a recording of the band playing live in the studio, and both Flood and Alan Moulder were present. There were no overdubs on the album version.
* For the Mellon Collie reissue, home demos, rehearsal material and every rough mix have been transferred to digital format.
* Billy is looking for the non-distorted version of 'Tales of a Scorched Earth'. If he can find the tape, the song might appear on the bonus disc of the Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness reissue.
* The reissue for Adore will be released on Record Store Day 2013.
* The reissue for Machina I & II will be released by the end of 2013. There might also be a reissue of 'The Greatest Hits' by the end of 2013.
* A DVD for 'The Final Show' that was taped on December 2nd, 2000 at The Metro will be released as part of a reissue.
* When Billy gets back the rights to Zwan material from Warner Brothers, he would like to release 65 previously unreleased Zwan songs.
* A vinyl of the Stigmata soundtrack will be released by EMI.
* Billy would like to release The Chicago Kid material in 2014.
* Billy could do a reissue of TheFutureEmbrace in 2015.
* Billy could possibly release an alternate version of Zeitgeist when he gets back the rights to the material.