Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #31
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPumpkin View Post
I was there at 2 shows in Detroit. The show was horrible. Bill made a point to rag on everything the locals held dear. He brought out a dummy and pretended to kill it and called it Bob Seger. He ripped into Ted Nugent, the car industry, the USA, atheists, etc. Then he started a 40 minute feedback solo and 60% of the place cleared out. He started calling everyone leaving names. That was the 1st night. The 2nd show he didn't say shit and they still left. Beastie Boys were really good and I'm not a big fan by any means.
Why the hell does he have these episodes where he makes a show of wigging out when there's been no apparent provocation? I mean, what was the fucking point of that. Not that I necessarily disagree about what he was shitting on...but why? Would the term for this kind of thing be "premeditated displacement?"

And yeah, it would make sense if the Frogs were the two others in a three-on-three game. God forbid it was D'arcy and James. Jimmy Flemion is really tall, too....so maybe Bolls didn't lose after all.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:34 AM   #32
T&T
Socialphobic

Bolly was playing with two of the Beasty Boys against three dudes from Guided by Voices.

or so i've gathered.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #33
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpycat View Post
Why the hell does he have these episodes where he makes a show of wigging out when there's been no apparent provocation?
He's from Chicago and he likes wrestling.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #34
CoryB
Amish Rake Fighter

Regarding Lollapalooza 94, I remember there being lots of speculation before the line-up was offically announced that either or both Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins were in discussions to headline, with Nirvana being the preferred choice. Then Kurt Cobain had what many now acknowledge as a failed suicide attempt. A few weeks later the offical Lollapalooza 94 lineup was announced and surprised people by excluding Nirvana. A day or two later Kurt Cobain was found dead.

The Pumpkins were clearly calling the shots on this tour though, from getting their friend Courtney Love time to speak on stage, to the second-stage gig for the Frogs and even playing their own sets on the second stage. I don't recall hearing anything overall negative back then about other bands complaining about them. The other reality of things is that at the time the Pumpkins were the biggest band on the tour so it would have made sense for the organizers to be trying to keep them happy.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:54 AM   #35
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

wasn't there some talk that billy got pavement kicked off the tour? i could be misremembering however.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #36
aldango
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Then he started a 40 minute feedback solo and 60% of the place cleared out. He started calling everyone leaving names. That was the 1st night. The 2nd show he didn't say shit and they still left. Beastie Boys were really good and I'm not a big fan by any means.
Someone I know who saw one of the Dallas shows claims the same thing - the show was ruined by the apparent noisefest at the end.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #37
Trotskilicious
Banned

copying mbv worked for him most of the time

Old 04-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #38
redbull
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldango View Post
Someone I know who saw one of the Dallas shows claims the same thing - the show was ruined by the apparent noisefest at the end.
I don't see how you get "noisefest" out of either of those dates, unless you can't deal with silverfuck

Old 04-02-2011, 12:53 AM   #39
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

pwned by the master

Old 04-02-2011, 12:53 AM   #40
FoolofaTook

and people who left during old school silverfuck freakouts don't deserve to live

Old 06-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #41
stripes
Apocalyptic Poster

sure they do

Old 06-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #42
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

I was at the now infamous Randalls Island show on that tour. It is to this day hands down the worst performance I have ever seen put on by a band. Beastie Boys should have been the closing act that year, They would end their set with this insanely amazing version of Sabotage and then we would wait an hour and get cry baby Billy. Billy just has no clue how to handle an audience, I think he purposely designed those setlists to piss off the crowd. It was the same exact shit as the anniversary tour, I'm going to do a half hour psychedelic jam and you better sit there and worship me. If they had come out and just played a fast hard rock set for an hour they would have ruled the festival, but Billy refused to do that, he refused to try to impress a crowd of people that were not his fans.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #43
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

There is this book, where sonic youth, beck, and courtney love talk about the good times of Lolla, and how Cypress Hill had a huge bong they all ripped:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...Online_Diaries

On the pavement dvd they show clips of them getting pelted with mud in kentucky or something, and how they thought the festival was stupid.

When I saw Yo La Tengo on the freewheelin' tour they joked about Lollapalooza 95, I remember james saying "Open your textbook to page 173 kids, 'The Great Lollapalooza tour of 95! Oh yes..." .. and going on about how that was the first time they felt like rock stars.

I know there is a video clip of GBV, Beasties + Billy playing basketball at Lolla while Stephen Drozd from the flaming lips wheels around on a miniature bicycle or something...truly surreal 90's rock moment... does anyone have it?

Old 06-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #44
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
I was there at 2 shows in Detroit. The show was horrible. Bill made a point to rag on everything the locals held dear. He brought out a dummy and pretended to kill it and called it Bob Seger. He ripped into Ted Nugent, the car industry, the USA, atheists, etc. Then he started a 40 minute feedback solo and 60% of the place cleared out. He started calling everyone leaving names. That was the 1st night. The 2nd show he didn't say shit and they still left. Beastie Boys were really good and I'm not a big fan by any means.
I remember being at those shows and It wasn't anything like what you describe. I don't remember people leaving either. They rocked. As far as Seger and Nugent go, nobody who went to Lollapalooza back then gave a shit about either of those two dinosaurs. Ted Nugent was and is a joke and Bob Seger wasn't far behind. Nobody who was into alternative music back then gave a shit about bob seger or Nugent.

Wasn't as great, though, as the year that the Chili Peppers headlined and everyone tore up the lawn at Pine Knob and threw it at the stage during the Ministry set, and Al Jourgensen threatened to walk off. And everybody lighting shit on fire during the Chili Peppers set.

IMO, each year the Lollapalooza tour went on it got slightly worse, though. I still think the first year with Jane's Addiction was the best.

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 06-06-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #45
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
I remember being at those shows and It wasn't anything like what you describe. I don't remember people leaving either. They rocked.

Wasn't as great, though, as the year that the Chili Peppers headlined and everyone tore up the lawn at Pine Knob and threw it at the stage during the Ministry set, and Al Jourgensen threatened to walk off. And everybody lighting shit on fire during the Chili Peppers set.

IMO, each year the Lollapalooza tour went on it got slightly worse, though. I still think the first year with Jane's Addiction was the best.
People always leave during the headliner no mater what. There is always a large chunk of the audoience that has no interest in the headliner and leaves.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:26 AM   #46
Cool As Ice Cream

this is what the breeders have to say.
http://www.4ad.com/breeders/ephemera/the-breeders-dig/
check out the lollapalooza diary.

http://downloads.cissme.com/tid/99e0...ved_image.jpeghttp://downloads.cissme.com/tid/7a12...ved_image.jpeg

http://downloads.cissme.com/tid/e0f5...ved_image.jpeghttp://downloads.cissme.com/tid/618b...ved_image.jpeg

http://downloads.cissme.com/tid/d643...ved_image.jpeg

Old 06-07-2011, 06:29 AM   #47
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

4 boxes of cereal and a whole roast chicken. Fucking Rock Stars!!!

Old 06-07-2011, 07:09 AM   #48
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

They let a woman drive the bus?

Old 06-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #49
slunken
Virgo

it was lolla - doing doughnuts in a field to make mud doesn't constitute as "driving" really

Old 06-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #50
slunken
Virgo

i hate how my gf went to lollapalooza a few years back and whenever she refers to it she calls it "lolla" every. single. time.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #51
slunken
Virgo

y'know - as if it were some sort of insider slang that only the people that have actually been there know about.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #52
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

lol hahahahaha

Old 06-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #53
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Grox don't you mean LOLla

Old 06-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #54
slunken
Virgo

heh

Old 06-08-2011, 02:12 AM   #55
Trotskilicious
Banned

well if she talking about it a lot man why she gotta say the whole thing

Old 06-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #56
slunken
Virgo

eh idk we both work in restaurants and agree that abbreviations are mostly unnecessary if not just totally absurd. she contradicts herself a lot though, as 21 yr olds will.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #57
slunken
Virgo

like i hate when spinach dip is called spin dip i can't keep a straight face it's too goofy

Old 06-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #58
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
like i hate when spinach dip is called spin dip i can't keep a straight face it's too goofy
So you work at TGIF?

Old 06-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #59
slunken
Virgo

no but i remember in like 2002 or 03 when spinach dip was real popular that's when i decided what side of the fence i was on.

i was just using that as my best example. though i do find some occasional pleasure in saying "black chicks" as opposed to "blackened chicken" nowadays

Old 06-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #60
slunken
Virgo

3 black chicks, 2 in the sand all day