yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

just press da button

Old 11-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #32
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
very surprised to see that i dont remember this song at all except the main hook
extended intro?

Old 11-27-2017, 07:03 PM   #33
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
I have a recommendation for Thread Theme Tune

Such a good, underrated band. Shame most people only remember them for Love Fool.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:05 PM   #34
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

This would be a good theme:

Old 11-27-2017, 07:05 PM   #35
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Old 11-27-2017, 07:06 PM   #36
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

all 3 of my fellow 3EB fans should peep that one. This was the theme song to my Life Reset circa 2015.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:07 PM   #37
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

This is another good one for Netphoria.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:08 PM   #38
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Or this.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:09 PM   #39
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Elphenor, you better be listening to these. They'll put hair on your chest.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:33 PM   #40
yo soy el mejor

i should stop listening then

Old 11-27-2017, 08:37 PM   #41
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
extended intro?
i went past that to the actual song

Old 11-27-2017, 08:42 PM   #42
FoolofaTook

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
i should stop listening then
Two late.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:04 AM   #43
yo soy el mejor

i pretty much made that joke already without misspellings

Old 11-28-2017, 10:18 AM   #44
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

man vixnix's post was underrated. seriously great post vix. enjoyed reading

Old 11-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #45
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Vixnix your location is beautiful: it brings a tear to my eyes.
It brings a tear to my eye also

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
man vixnix's post was underrated. seriously great post vix. enjoyed reading
aha. thanks for saying that. Insomnia is giving me strange ideas about what to spend my time thinking about, so it helps relieve my embarrassment about all of that, to know that you enjoyed it.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #46
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Thumbs up

the thing about what you wrote is, i know all of it, but i'm approaching it from the other end - i am the non-native who writes cumbersome lyrics/walls of text and wish i could be as agile as a native speaker - and it makes me frustrated that you point all this out so accurately, because it's something that i can't fix about my english. i can only take my english so far, and it'll never be as fluent as i want it to. and spare me the 'but you have good engilsh, rly' stuff - honestly not going for that i swear - it's just that it almost doesn't matter how proficient you can become at playing by a language's rules, you'll still never juggle it quite like people who grew up speaking it. well i dunno people who are smarter than me probably do it, but for me there's that barrier and i guess except continuously pushing it a bit further every now and then, there's not much i can do but accept it and try better next time.

then i go and read a text by an English author or artist that i like, and they have that special streak of fluidity to their words, and i can only be jealous, what can i say. i think i once posted a thread here about this poem i like, that has a line going:

I have desired to go
Oh I have asked to go
Where a few lillies blow
To fields where flies no sharp and sided hail
And spring not fail

man. "to fields where flies no sharp and sided hail". so fucking great.

the thing about English is, you can be proficient in it in various ways. the flexible grammar and deep vocabulary allow for very cerebral pinpointing of extremely particular threads of thought, whereas in Hebrew for example i would say it's definitely less flexible and more "crude" in a way, but it possesses a beauty and emotional weight to a lot of words that very rarely exists in English, if at all. when a motherfucker gets something right in Hebrew, like poetry or lyrics or prose, it can be unbelievably beautiful in ways English could never capture for me, and always comes out sounding too "technical" in comparison.

Quote:
Yeah because I think if you're writing in your native tongue you feel like it's not 'enough' to write as you would speak, and a lot teenagers look in all the wrong places to make their lyrics something 'more' than their ordinary speech, and turn to a thesaurus or dictionary.

I'm not talking about shitty "I don't wanna fight/every single night" lyrics, but ones that have been crafted and carefully chosen, and edited and tested and agonised over.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:52 AM   #47
yo soy el mejor

abba had americans in the studio ruining things, i'm sure. i love nina personn, i love abba, and i never realized 'no more ace to play' should sound weird to english-speaking americans. it's a legit expression over here, y'all.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:53 AM   #48
yo soy el mejor

you can't tell what someone agonizes over since some songwriters are better than others. it's more like 'what do i like better'

Old 11-28-2017, 11:00 AM   #49
yo soy el mejor

anything translated from spanish to english sounds dumb

what do y'all think it's like for fluent bilingual people?

they should probs go learn a third language or something

Old 11-28-2017, 11:28 AM   #50
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

No more ace to play reads as broken English, to me. A google search returns a solid page of Abba lyrics hits and nothing else...

Old 11-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #51
vixnix
Socialphobic

I'm monolingual but my mum is bilingual and speaks a fair bit of broken English, so I have what I consider to be a keen ear for broken English but I'm sure it returns a number of false positives.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:37 AM   #52
vixnix
Socialphobic

She didn't want me to be bilingual just to speak her first language, because there is such a small population of people who speak it, she felt it would hold me back, to invest time and energy learning it.

She was sick of the shit that comes with the Polynesian package, too. She didn't want me hanging out with other Samoans. If she met another Samoan who wasn't part of her family, she gave them a very wide birth. She was like racist against her own race.

And many others

Old 11-28-2017, 11:49 AM   #53
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
the thing about what you wrote is, i know all of it, but i'm approaching it from the other end - i am the non-native who writes cumbersome lyrics/walls of text and wish i could be as agile as a native speaker - and it makes me frustrated that you point all this out so accurately, because it's something that i can't fix about my english. i can only take my english so far, and it'll never be as fluent as i want it to. and spare me the 'but you have good engilsh, rly' stuff - honestly not going for that i swear - it's just that it almost doesn't matter how proficient you can become at playing by a language's rules, you'll still never juggle it quite like people who grew up speaking it. well i dunno people who are smarter than me probably do it, but for me there's that barrier and i guess except continuously pushing it a bit further every now and then, there's not much i can do but accept it and try better next time.

then i go and read a text by an English author or artist that i like, and they have that special streak of fluidity to their words, and i can only be jealous, what can i say. i think i once posted a thread here about this poem i like, that has a line going:

I have desired to go
Oh I have asked to go
Where a few lillies blow
To fields where flies no sharp and sided hail
And spring not fail

man. "to fields where flies no sharp and sided hail". so fucking great.

the thing about English is, you can be proficient in it in various ways. the flexible grammar and deep vocabulary allow for very cerebral pinpointing of extremely particular threads of thought, whereas in Hebrew for example i would say it's definitely less flexible and more "crude" in a way, but it possesses a beauty and emotional weight to a lot of words that very rarely exists in English, if at all. when a motherfucker gets something right in Hebrew, like poetry or lyrics or prose, it can be unbelievably beautiful in ways English could never capture for me, and always comes out sounding too "technical" in comparison.
Hebrew is such an ancient language, it has a fascinating vocabulary and grammar structure I reckon. Some words are loaded with so much meaning because of the worldview of the ancients who originally spoke it. I've mentioned it before but like ruah for instance, in the Hebrew bible (as I learned it during my Ancient Hebrew classes which I sure could have been full of inaccuracy - I was learning in a small city in New Zealand after all) can mean wind, breath or spirit - because those three separate things were fused/smudged together in ancient times - ancient peoples personified natural phenomenon and perhaps associated a person with their own breath because when a person stopped breathing, they were no longer "there". So their language reflected that.

English has nothing like that because it's such a new, mongrel language. It is very technical.

That line is great though. I loved that verse the first time you shared it, too.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #54
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
No more ace to play reads as broken English, to me. A google search returns a solid page of Abba lyrics hits and nothing else...
origin

-abba

Old 11-28-2017, 12:17 PM   #55
yo soy el mejor

i mean, if you gotta google it

Old 11-28-2017, 12:41 PM   #56
vixnix
Socialphobic

There's still nothing

Old 11-28-2017, 10:26 PM   #57
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
I've mentioned it before but like ruah for instance, in the Hebrew bible (as I learned it during my Ancient Hebrew classes which I sure could have been full of inaccuracy - I was learning in a small city in New Zealand after all) can mean wind, breath or spirit - because those three separate things were fused/smudged together in ancient times - ancient peoples personified natural phenomenon and perhaps associated a person with their own breath because when a person stopped breathing, they were no longer "there". So their language reflected that.
yeah, just out to say that that's pretty accurate.

language idiosyncrasies are fascinating like that.

"keyi ma?" "keyi la!"

Old 11-28-2017, 10:29 PM   #58
FoolofaTook

jedi govno