Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
Default synth pop

Old 05-24-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

synth pop, anyone?
couldn't find any threads, but I can't believe nobody here is listening to it.

is it totally uncool to enjoy it or something?

I'm digging this. Very relaxing.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/016...G?v=1395939072

Old 05-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
Catherine Wheel
Banned

I like synth pop from time to time but Future Islands suck at it. Check out Chvrches or Purity Ring for some good modern synth pop.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
Order 66
Socialphobic

yeah its cool

Old 05-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
I like synth pop from time to time but Future Islands suck at it. Check out Chvrches or Purity Ring for some good modern synth pop.
I can't stand either. Especially Chvrches.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Purity Ring are kind of an acquired taste but Chvrches are very accessible and catchy. I'm kind of surprised you don't like them.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #7
Order 66
Socialphobic

you like Trust? they're cool

Old 05-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

yeah i was gonna come in and say someone will hate me for this but i love Chvrches. I think it's perfect synthpop, it was my fav record of last year and i don't care who knows it. Super catchy, tasteful pop. Nice voice and great vocal melodies. Earnest but not dumb lyrics. And yes of course i have a crush on ****** Mayberry, i'm that predictable. I don't like Future Islands though. Especially after i saw them on Letterman. What the fuck was that.... the dancing, the Tom Waits growl.... i don't get it. the music is passable but it's the singer that kinda ruins it for me.

You can't beat the masters though. And by that i mean Depeche Mode.

Also if we go back some years, Ladytron. Witching hour was a terrific record.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Yeah with a different singer I think Future Islands would be alright. Maybe. But he's godawful.

Light and Magic is my favorite Ladytron album. And Black Plastic is probably my fave Ladytron song.

Last edited by Catherine Wheel : 05-24-2014 at 02:09 PM.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #10
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
you like Trust? they're cool
Guess you are not referring to the French hard rock band, had to look them up, Canadian?
I'll try the Joyland album and will rage at you if it sucks.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #11
bignothing
Demi-God

God Chvrches is so annoying... I kinda wanted to like them cause I'm in this Scottish music kick, but their music is awful to me. I rarely enjoy synth or power pop though and I tend to be more critical of female vocalists. This girl's voice is just not interesting to me - also the band comes off as "cutesy," which makes me roll my eyes. Never paid attention to the lyrics, is it any better?

Old 05-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #12
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

I will say Chvrches are not a band i'd bother seeing live. ****** Mayberry does not seem at ease on stage. Maybe it'll get better with time since she's kinda really new at this. As for whoever asked if the lyrics were cutesy, no not in my mind. this record made me cry more than once :-/ Just because the girl IS cute (and also very clever, I may have watched too many interviews, also that thing she wrote for what was it, the independent I think? about all the sexual threats she received...) doesn't mean the record is cutesy.

And honestly it's one of those cases where I really liked the singles at first and once i got into the record I realized the singles were the least interesting songs. This record was almost enough to get me to stop bothering with guitars and basses and go full electronic but then I remembered good synths cost thousands of dollars.

I like her voice because she has a soft nice clean voice and can ACTUALLY sing but without having any annoying mannerisms. That doesn't happen a lot anymore.

But yeah Haim and St Vincent are in fact terrible ((it made me think less of David Byrne that he worked with the latter...) . If I have to see Haim's bassist pull just one more bass face on my tv I might lose my shit.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:19 PM   #13
Elphenor
Braindead

I like Soft Cell

Old 05-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #14
I'm Hardcore
Banned

the first small black record

Old 05-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #15
Catherine Wheel
Banned

I've recommended White Lies here before and will continue to do so. Great band.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:29 PM   #16
pavementtune

Thank you netphoria, my ears love you, this thread made my travelling playlist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
Trust
their first album TRST is my thing, very nice. Joyland isn't for me, too much poppitypoppop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
Soft Cell
well yea, but from time to time I want to stop living in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Hardcore View Post
the first small black record
direct hit, gonna pick up their debut EP. Not sure about the New Chain album, though, sounds very cleaned up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
I've recommended White Lies here before and will continue to do so. Great band.
saw them live in 08?, enjoyed their first album. When were they thrown into the synth pop genre?!

Old 05-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #17
Catherine Wheel
Banned

The last two albums for the most part. Ritual and Big TV.

Ritual still has some semblance of post punk but it's balanced out with synth pop. Big TV is synth pop with occasional loud guitars.

I saw them a couple of months ago here. Great live act.

Last edited by Catherine Wheel : 05-25-2014 at 12:58 PM.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #18
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post

well yea, but from time to time I want to stop living in the past.

Most days I don't see why I should. Everything being done today music wise has been done better in the past. I mean sure I listen to some current bands but most of the times its just cause i've listened to the originals so much that I figure I can bear to listen to some of the copies for a bit. Its a real problem but after 60 years of rock what you could do with a bass guitar drums and synths and computers has all been exhausted.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #19
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

St. Pop

Old 05-25-2014, 07:07 PM   #20
Elphenor
Braindead

Has everything truly already been done or has every decade said that?
Like in the 90's was everyone like "man, everything has already been done this generation sucks" before Nirvana became huge? And did people realize we'd still be talking about him 20 years later?

I think you could argue everything had already been done right after The Beatles, Floyd, and VU

Old 05-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #21
Elphenor
Braindead

Music seems to get a higher focus on originality than other forms of art. Like of you write a fantasy novel and it has Wizards and Dragons no one cares that it's unoriginal.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #22
I'm Hardcore
Banned

New Chain was the album i was trying to get you to listen to!

Old 05-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #23
pavementtune

Ha, I went for the debut EP. totally messy sound, enjoyed it. Next up was New Chain and it sounded polished in comparison. Heard the first 2 tracks, and fell asleep.
Since an almost empty ipod is all I currently have, I'll listen to it on repeat anyway.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:09 PM   #24
I'm Hardcore
Banned

horse to water, etc

Old 05-25-2014, 08:23 PM   #25
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

I really would like to hear music right now that hasn't ever been done before. I haven't heard it. And if its out there, then it probably sucks because there's only so many different ways you can arrange notes and sounds before it becomes unpleasant to the ear. I mean when noise music started happening, you know it meant we had reached the bottom of that barrel (yeah the first few who did it had something interesting, then it became all about people randomly hitting instruments)

I mean ok everyone's take on whatever style they play or on the music that influenced them differs somewhat from another with the very same influences, theres always a bit of a personal take i suppose, you process your influences through in your own personal way, but at some point the differences become so slight they don't really count. I mean i do think originality is probably overrated in music but I really think the reason we don't hear much new in music anymore is sut because it peaked. Ran out of things to try. Last time anything real new came about was electronic music and then by about the mid 90's what you could do with this had also been pretty much all explored.

If one needs to be convinced that music has stagnated, take an average radio song from 1982. Then take one from 1992. You'll know the difference right away (well assuming in this scenario that you don't know the songs). Now take one from 2004 and one from 2014..... good luck guessing which is from when. And sure some of this is technology, it kinda has peaked in terms of recording and production and all that, but it's not just that. I think some time in the early 2000s rock music in its wide encompassing definition (basically anything else it spawned) pretty much stopped evolving in significant ways. Its all about revivals now (And fuck me i don't want to go through grunge again)

Anyway i derailed this thread but who cares, nobody reads my long posts.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:36 AM   #26
TuralyonW3
Immortal

"Synth pop" is like saying "guitar rock"

Old 05-26-2014, 12:59 AM   #27
Elphenor
Braindead

Noise Rock is awesome. Avant garde stuff. You just have to understand that it is literally about making "noise".

Not all music is meant to sound pleasant to the ear, the same way not all visual art is meant to be pleasant to the eyes.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:22 AM   #28
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
You just have to understand that it is literally about making "noise".
no, no it is not.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:31 AM   #29
Elphenor
Braindead

Some of it is.
The music EB was describing sounded like it.
I'm thinking of like Lou Reed's "Metal Machine" esque stuff.

But I guess technically that's not noise rock.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:32 AM   #30
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Metal Machine Music is a piece of shit