Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2020, 12:53 PM   #91
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I don't believe that Billy Corgan ever really even had hair, man. It was just an act.

Old 10-20-2020, 01:26 PM   #92
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
This board kinda reminds me of that phase little girls go through when they start hating Barbie dolls as a way to show that they are no longer into stupid baby toys and are smart big kids instead.

Like, first everyone goes through the phase where they idolize their favourite rock star and impose an idealized personality on him. Then, they start seeing that he has flaws, but they are in some form of denial about it, so they become apologists and minimize his actions and say shit like "oh, creative people always have a screw loose, that's what makes them so unique and creative in the first place. He's rough around the edges, but that's just him and insanity is genius, blah blah blah."

Then, when they get consistently disappointed by their idol and can't escape the mounting evidence that he really kinda sucks as a person, in order to demonstrate that they are past the juvenile idealizing phase and are no longer naďve enough to think that the sun shines out of some dumb rock star's ass, they shift into having a hyperbolic vitriol for the guy and start saying shit like "he's probably a Nazi who doesn't even have human emotions and I think he's the true murderer of JonBenét Ramsey (did we ever solve that one? I forget. If so, pick a different funny example)."
Omg this is exactly how i quit playing with dolls, in my life

Are u been watching me thru my windows all this time? If so let me know so i can show u just how much i hate all my Barbie dolls tonite

Old 10-20-2020, 02:07 PM   #93
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
Netphoria 2021:

"I don't think Billy Corgan ever had a mom, For Martha was written about James' parakeet"
IS CHRIS FABIAN A REAL PERSON?

A NETPHORIA INVESTIGATION

Billy Corgan once said: “There is not and will not be any public record on my marriage – that’s one thing I have to draw lines around.”

WHY would he say such a thing? Because he was never actually married to her! But wait! There's more! It has been revealed that a widely circulated photo purported to be of Billy and Chris is actually a photo of the Pumpkins frontman and Fiona Horne. And not only that! She revealed that she is friends with Billy but they have NEVER had sex.

What can we deduce from this? It's very simple.

Chris Fabian is not a real person and Billy Corgan is a virgin. Augustus Juppiter and Philomena Clementine are actually clones that he made of himself that he will use to someday use to replace Jimmy and James.

You heard it here first.

Old 10-20-2020, 03:29 PM   #94
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

I think Billy has always been sensitive and in his own words kind of a pissant. But his insecurity about how people perceive him and the band have driven him crazy. I don't know what cracked in him after the Mellon Collie tour but he should have just stayed home and watched some Cubs games instead of going to LA and becoming all pretentious and weirded out. I can acknowledge Adore has some good songs, but it was a massive misstep, all of the fun of SP was completely drained out. Im a fan of the Machina era but that stuff about the band pretending to be perceptions of themselves was ridiculous and contemtuous. He can't get on the right track because its not about the music anymore, its either about poking a stick in peoples' eyes or bolstering his ego with the need to always play bigger shows with those ridiculous stage costumes

Old 10-20-2020, 09:23 PM   #95
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDogGlynis View Post
I think Billy has always been sensitive and in his own words kind of a pissant. But his insecurity about how people perceive him and the band have driven him crazy. I don't know what cracked in him after the Mellon Collie tour but he should have just stayed home and watched some Cubs games instead of going to LA and becoming all pretentious and weirded out. I can acknowledge Adore has some good songs, but it was a massive misstep, all of the fun of SP was completely drained out. Im a fan of the Machina era but that stuff about the band pretending to be perceptions of themselves was ridiculous and contemtuous. He can't get on the right track because its not about the music anymore, its either about poking a stick in peoples' eyes or bolstering his ego with the need to always play bigger shows with those ridiculous stage costumes
this is great stuff

also why those early zwan gigs were so good

Old 10-20-2020, 09:39 PM   #96
pinetree
Ownz

Quote:
very well stated

Old 10-21-2020, 02:38 AM   #97
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
how would you know that? and why would you decide of all things that this was something worth questioning
Because he plays off his sincerity and has stabbed endless people who have helped his career in the back including fans and personal friends.

There is three decades worth of Billys own interviews and interviews with his own friends that show you the truth about him and he is not the tortured soul he sold us all for the first 12 years of the his career.

Why do you feel the need to kneejerk react to defend a millionaire who will tell you to go fuck yourself if you dare ask him a question about a song he doesn't want to talk about?

Jesus just look at his Instagram Q&A's, it's like trying to defend Donald Trump at this point.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:45 AM   #98
Rider
Minion of Satan

Hell I have two decades worth of his pissants threatening me with lawsuits only to a few years later get dumped by him and forced to sign their lives away as exit clauses.

Let's list them.

Monte
Quinto
Tigershorty or whatever his name was from the Oboard....

Old 10-21-2020, 02:48 AM   #99
Rider
Minion of Satan

Let's turn this into a Billys fucked fan liaisons memory lane thread.

Pumpkin Queen.

Did we ever get the full story on that short lived disaster?

Old 10-21-2020, 03:19 AM   #100
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
how would you know that? and why would you decide of all things that this was something worth questioning
Have you paid ANY fucking attention to the guy's reputation in the 90's, interviews over the last 20 years, his instagram posts, and the testimonies of people he worked with?

Old 10-21-2020, 03:53 AM   #101
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

PumpkinsMediaMilitia (or what was the name of the guy who did the sp.com website in 2007?)
dunno. the guy got fired because he didn't get enough clicks, and dared to ask for more money (and i believe also for a bit of content, so people would have a reason to visit sp.com). if i remember it correctly.

Old 10-21-2020, 05:12 AM   #102
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
PumpkinsMediaMilitia (or what was the name of the guy who did the sp.com website in 2007?)
dunno. the guy got fired because he didn't get enough clicks, and dared to ask for more money (and i believe also for a bit of content, so people would have a reason to visit sp.com). if i remember it correctly.
Yes that episode was called "The Scarcity Principle".

Quote:
"We had this guy, he called himself a web developer but I don’t know. Uncreative, very uncreative guy. The idea was the website would be a hub, community and resource for the fans but we’d get into these endless circular arguments. “I need content, I need content” or “you need to post on the forum”. In business of course there’s this thing, the scarcity principle. He refused to or was incapable of understanding this.

If something is free and abundant then it’s not precious anymore. That's the scarcity principle. You're the web master, it's your job to make a site that people want to visit on a daily basis. Figure it out.

Then he’d ask for more money. Get me results and I’ll get you money. It’s not difficult to understand. Lazy, uncreative, not business minded, greedy, he had to go. I downloaded Adobe DreamWeaver which does his job better than he did. Actually it inspired a song called The Dream Machine, which might be on the next record."

Old 10-21-2020, 05:24 AM   #103
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
SP have been fun/silly for a while now but fans bitch about it. Never been kissed by a girl like you whooo hooo.

Old 10-21-2020, 05:38 AM   #104
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
Yes that episode was called "The Scarcity Principle".

"We had this guy, he called himself a web developer but I don’t know. Uncreative, very uncreative guy. The idea was the website would be a hub, community and resource for the fans but we’d get into these endless circular arguments. “I need content, I need content” or “you need to post on the forum”. In business of course there’s this thing, the scarcity principle. He refused to or was incapable of understanding this.

If something is free and abundant then it’s not precious anymore. That's the scarcity principle. You're the web master, it's your job to make a site that people want to visit on a daily basis. Figure it out.

Then he’d ask for more money. Get me results and I’ll get you money. It’s not difficult to understand. Lazy, uncreative, not business minded, greedy, he had to go. I downloaded Adobe DreamWeaver which does his job better than he did. Actually it inspired a song called The Dream Machine, which might be on the next record."
Is this a real quote or parody? Hard to tell. Read it in Donald Trump's voice.

Last edited by VoxUpDoc : 10-21-2020 at 06:22 AM.

Old 10-21-2020, 05:47 AM   #105
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Apparently The Dream Machine is on the Oceania 3D blu ray.

Old 10-21-2020, 06:00 AM   #106
Cool As Ice Cream

i was really hoping for a quote from the webmaster about his firing, but that'll do.

i swear i've read it somewhere, but i can't seem to find it.

Old 10-21-2020, 06:25 AM   #107
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
i was really hoping for a quote from the webmaster about his firing, but that'll do.

i swear i've read it somewhere, but i can't seem to find it.
http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=172497

Quote:
I had a Web guy for a while, not a very creative person, who ultimately got fired. At one point he wanted a raise, and I said to him, “You haven’t grown the Web site. When I write a song that becomes a hit song, I sell more tickets and more records. It’s a results-oriented business. So if 10,000 people visit the site every day and 6 months later there’s only 9,000 people visiting the site, that’s a real thing. I can’t guess what they’re thinking, I can just see the numbers.” He said, “Well, if you would visit the site more often or post something, then our numbers would go way up.” I replied, “Yeah, but there’s a reason they don’t put somebody on TV 24 hours a day. It’s the Scarcity Principle.”
Quote:
So it turns out that he was never fired at all - exactly the same as Jimmy. Corgan made this up.

From the o-board

" Basically, PMM (Paul) stated this is the first time he heard he was "fired." His contract ended and both parties were interested in parting ways so they did. Billy asked for this and that, wanted to change things, somehow make money off the website to pay for PMM's salary, but all ideas PMM presented didn't take off and he couldn't do much because he needed content with which to run certain ideas.

Also, Billy once played "G.L.O.W." acoustic for Paul at his house and said something creepy when he was leaving about being such an evil genius ... something along the lines of "I really am something great, aren't I" but with that Mr. Burns look on his face with his hands steepled."

From Paul himself:

"Thanks for the support people, it's been a rough day and in the end, I hope none of you ever have 3 years of your life summed up in 2 very trite and self-serving sentences by the very person you worked day in and out to please. It's also humorous that the only reason you ever had and still have this place to even make a judgment call is because of yours truly. [Billy constantly tried to shut down the board, but PMM argued otherwise]

Keep fighting the good fight, I know I am, and loving it every day! "

Old 10-21-2020, 07:26 AM   #108
Cool As Ice Cream

thx.

i hereby transfer my title of google-meister to you.

Old 10-21-2020, 09:48 AM   #109
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Because he plays off his sincerity and has stabbed endless people who have helped his career in the back including fans and personal friends.

There is three decades worth of Billys own interviews and interviews with his own friends that show you the truth about him and he is not the tortured soul he sold us all for the first 12 years of the his career.

Why do you feel the need to kneejerk react to defend a millionaire who will tell you to go fuck yourself if you dare ask him a question about a song he doesn't want to talk about?

Jesus just look at his Instagram Q&A's, it's like trying to defend Donald Trump at this point.

I think dismissing anyone's mental illness as fake (especially if it was 30 yrs ago) contributes to an overall atmosphere where anyone else being honest about their own mental illness is more likely to be dismissed, mocked, etc. It's just bad form.

Everything else about Bill is garbage, though. I'm not defending his generally shitty personality and behavior.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:48 AM   #110
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I don't believe that Billy Corgan ever really even had hair, man. It was just an act.
Or maybe he *does* have hair, and that's an act!

Old 10-21-2020, 11:59 AM   #111
dustrocck
Demi-God

man that o-board stuff is just incredible.

Bring me web traffic...and a cookie.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:04 PM   #112
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

does anyone still have a picture of the shirt the webmaster apparently designed after this whole debacle? according to the thread linked above, that was a thing!

Old 10-21-2020, 01:27 PM   #113
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

we can still use "Oboarder" as a slur though, right?

Old 10-21-2020, 01:39 PM   #114
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I think dismissing anyone's mental illness as fake (especially if it was 30 yrs ago) contributes to an overall atmosphere where anyone else being honest about their own mental illness is more likely to be dismissed, mocked, etc. It's just bad form.

Everything else about Bill is garbage, though. I'm not defending his generally shitty personality and behavior.
But bad people can't be suicidal

Old 10-21-2020, 04:10 PM   #115
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: a melting apocalyptic jungle bleeding out of me like a dream

Sometimes the cruelty on this board far outweighs the most extreme examples (those often inflated, cited; the interpretations of which are often reiterated on this board) about WPC's supposed cruelties.

It's fucked up that some of you are so comfortable sublating or so casually denying someone's personal experiences to suit your own biases or impression of another human being.

It's disgusting.

Old 10-21-2020, 04:59 PM   #116
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Well, I don't know if they far outweigh them

Old 10-21-2020, 05:01 PM   #117
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Like, what could any nerd who visits a forum of two dozen members say about Corgan on it that has as negative an impact as Corgan's transphobic, livelihood-threatening comments about a pedal builder, broadcast to his thousands of followers?

Old 10-21-2020, 05:45 PM   #118
Ram27
dumb

yeah there's a huge difference between random nerds criticizing a celebrity, who for better or worse in our culture is meant to accept that, and i guess absorb that with their 'character' persona, than the celebrity, with power and reach, going on instagram and bitching

Old 10-21-2020, 05:54 PM   #119
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaldust View Post
Sometimes the cruelty on this board far outweighs the most extreme examples (those often inflated, cited; the interpretations of which are often reiterated on this board) about WPC's supposed cruelties.

It's fucked up that some of you are so comfortable sublating or so casually denying someone's personal experiences to suit your own biases or impression of another human being.

It's disgusting.
Billy never did or said any disgusting fucked up things to another human being like oooh... Stephen Malkmus literally yesterday, webmaster guy, Mike Byrne, pedal person, shapeshifter he wanted to bang, D’arcy...

Solid take, vd.

Last edited by VoxUpDoc : 10-21-2020 at 06:03 PM.

Old 10-21-2020, 06:49 PM   #120
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: a melting apocalyptic jungle bleeding out of me like a dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Billy never did or said any disgusting fucked up things to another human being like oooh... Stephen Malkmus literally yesterday, webmaster guy, Mike Byrne, pedal person, shapeshifter he wanted to bang, D’arcy...

Solid take, vd.
BC never explicitly invalidated the entirety of another person's experiences in order to disseminate or reify an opinion about them.

It's one thing to say that someone is a hack, a bad employee, a bad fit for the band, an unethical business partner and quite another to respond to their own accounts of suffering and suggest that it never happened.

I think there is a clear difference there.

Many members here take an anecdote and believe they are in full possession of the truth.