Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 11-02-2002, 03:54 AM   #1
Mason R Butler
walks among us

Default How do you guys organize your CDs?

I've got a lot of discs, and I wanna find an orderly way of putting them all in one place. Right now, I've got 2 sets of those Walmart detatchable cube things, a small box, a large box and a small nightstand wtih 2 drawers filled. It's a big mess. Should I buy some more of those Walmart things at $20 each? Maybe I should just sell some.
Ventolinn signed off at 11:21:50 PM.

Old 11-02-2002, 04:01 AM   #2
strange_one
No Chance

I put my cds wherever they can fit on the shelves, I tried putting them in alphabetical order once but it was taking too long, so they aren't in any real order. except I have the newer discs I've bought down on a small shelf next to my stereo

Old 11-02-2002, 04:28 AM   #3
strange_one
No Chance

Quote:
Originally posted by Graveflower
autobiographical.
I knew someone was gonna say that

Old 11-02-2002, 05:14 AM   #4
Red Wine Cage

i have my CDs on two Walmart stack things
my pumpkin stuff (albums, magazines, videos)
my pumpkin bootlegs in sleeves and in a small box thing
and my mix CDs in slim jewel cases in a shoebox

it works out nicely.

Old 11-02-2002, 08:29 AM   #5
Mr. Rhinoceros

I have this shelf my friend made that he doesn't use anymore. I put the CDs in alphabetical order because I am a logical being.

Old 11-02-2002, 10:03 AM   #6
armos
Oblivious Virgin

Alphabetical, then chronological.

Old 11-02-2002, 10:26 AM   #7
evol
Amish Rake Fighter

shoeboxes and a couple of shelves
every time i try to put them in alphabetical order they don't last a day
it's a mess

Old 11-02-2002, 12:09 PM   #8
Andy /

I have 800+ discs, so this summer I bought two 5-shelf bookcases at Kmart. It works quite well.

Mine are organized alphabetical by genre. I used to work at Best Buy, so I followed their method.

Old 11-02-2002, 04:23 PM   #9
Red Wine Cage

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rhinoceros
I put the CDs in alphabetical order because I am a logical being.
heh.

yeah, and i have mine in A-Z, too.

Old 11-03-2002, 01:06 AM   #10
dishpan
bestfriendless

i take the discs out of their cases, put the cases on the bookshelf and put the discs into my 3 flipbooks. tsp and zwan get their own flipbook, and then the others are organized with old favorites in the front, like jeff buckley and classic weezer, and newest acquisitions in the back, like centaur. i do try to keep the bands cds grouped together within that system though. dishpan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-03-2002, 03:48 AM   #11
Debaser
ghost

Default seriously.

at first i tried to organize my cd's by genre, but that got too complicated. So I just segregate my cd's by race. I have like 200+ black cd's on one storage rack, and another 200+ white cd's on the other rack. It works out pretty well. I just ask myself do I feel like listening to white music or black music today?

Old 11-03-2002, 05:47 AM   #12
BlueStar
Newly independent

alphabetical and chronological from most recent to oldest

and I have them all in several 20 cd holder things...on shelves and on top of my stereo

Old 11-03-2002, 12:44 PM   #13
Nate the Grate
Minion of Satan

I have two of those big cd holder things. I put the cds I like the most in the rack closer to my stereo, and the others on the outside. I don't have the biggest album collection, so it looks pretty nice.

oh yeah and I put all the other crap (singles, cd-r's, YHF type sleave things, and whatnot) in a shoebox that sits on my bookcase.

Old 11-03-2002, 12:45 PM   #14
Nate the Grate
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by dishpan
i take the discs out of their cases, put the cases on the bookshelf and put the discs into my 3 flipbooks. tsp and zwan get their own flipbook, and then the others are organized with old favorites in the front, like jeff buckley and classic weezer, and newest acquisitions in the back, like centaur. i do try to keep the bands cds grouped together within that system though. dishpan
I used to have one of those flipbooks but for some reason it scratched up my cd's. I think it was a cheap kind or something.

Old 11-03-2002, 02:42 PM   #15
MstrGhost
Apocalyptic Poster

6 cd towers by music type.

Old 11-03-2002, 03:39 PM   #16
bonsor
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by armos

Old 11-03-2002, 04:39 PM   #17
James is Cool
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

The first half is on a shelf and the second is in a CD tower. They're arranged alphabetically and chronologically.

Old 11-04-2002, 05:55 AM   #18
vertencre
Demi-God

i've got a shelf across my ceiling i think is a 2x4 i screwed up there and that are cds and eps alphebetical and chonological, and then another shelf with the singles and soundtracks done the same way. and then my records are on a big book case i got at wal-mart... the peice of shit kept falling apart i had to screw it together alot cause my records are too heavy, it would have been about the same worrk as building my own really. my bootleggs are on a little shelf that holds like 100 i think and in one of those flappy cases. i also have a flappy case for burned movie cds and one for burned music. then others, i guess those are for random things like going places or sothing. i enjoyed this question for some reason.

Old 11-04-2002, 12:12 PM   #19
Mason R Butler
walks among us

Alphabetical/chronological people: How many CDs do most of you have? I've tried doing the alhpabetical thing, but it was amazingly hard work and it all fell apart after about a week. By chronological, I assume you mean by which record came first by which artist, right?
Ventolinn signed off at 11:21:50 PM.

Old 11-04-2002, 12:46 PM   #20
The Gaddrow
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by I Hate Music
Alphabetical/chronological people: How many CDs do most of you have? I've tried doing the alhpabetical thing, but it was amazingly hard work and it all fell apart after about a week. By chronological, I assume you mean by which record came first by which artist, right?
Yeah. I have two 220 disc towers with various bands a-z, then chronological by album release. The singles go under the album they came from in order of their release (I'm not always precise about that). I traditionally keep any bootlegs above a bands releases, but I will probably start a new tower or something just for live recordings, as it is getting out of hand, and I am completely out of space in those two towers. I have a shitty 40 disc tower which I keep all soundtracks, and compilation discs in. I have one 110 disc tower for all my official SP releases, all organized by release date, with singles grouped together below the albums (as I have too fucking many versions of tonight, tonight, etc.) And yet one more 110 disc tower of SP live shows / demos which has runneth over in the past week.

I think I am going to buy a big bookcase type shelf thing and do a similar method there, just including everything in one unit.

I can't understand how people can not respect their cd collection. If I didn't know exactly where a CD is when I want it, I would go out of my mind.

Old 11-04-2002, 02:25 PM   #21
frail_and_bedazzled
Ownz

i don't! if they're not on the floor i've done well.

Old 11-04-2002, 02:43 PM   #22
Junebug
Minion of Satan

I feel so unworthy. I have about 55 CDs which, of course, are in no order at all as it takes about 30 seconds to look through all of them. Although my SP albums/singles/boots are in my cedar chest. It's basically my SP cedar chest now that I think of it hahah.

Old 11-04-2002, 03:21 PM   #23
mirrar
Braindead

Unhappy

I had a ghetto cd rack i made in grade 9 because it was the only thing big enough to hold them all, but that isn't enough anymore so now they're absolutely everywhere, on the floor, in piles on my stereo.. yeah.

Old 11-05-2002, 05:56 PM   #24
Lhabia316
Pledge

Quote:
Originally posted by armos
DARN Stole my line, took bloody ages with over 400CDs not including my Pumpkins CDs

Bootlist
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-05-2002, 08:33 PM   #25
twice
Socialphobic

Default Re: seriously.

Quote:
Originally posted by Debaser
at first i tried to organize my cd's by genre, but that got too complicated. So I just segregate my cd's by race. I have like 200+ black cd's on one storage rack, and another 200+ white cd's on the other rack. It works out pretty well. I just ask myself do I feel like listening to white music or black music today?
haha

Old 11-05-2002, 08:34 PM   #26
twice
Socialphobic

oh, yeah.

I don't.

Old 11-06-2002, 02:18 AM   #27
Lie
Socialphobic

I do the alphabetical/chronological thing.

Old 11-06-2002, 04:46 PM   #28
THRILLHO
Apocalyptic Poster

random order is the best.
in order of the color of the spine so that your shelf becomes a rainbow is the second best.

Old 11-06-2002, 09:46 PM   #29
Karl Malone
BANNED

Lightbulb

Karl Malone have Wayman Tisdale section and Thurl Bailey section.

Old 11-06-2002, 10:44 PM   #30
Mason R Butler
walks among us

http://my.tele2.ee/veikovet/Karl%20Malone.jpg