Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2018, 11:55 AM   #1
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Red face Other bands with James/D'arcy situations

I was talkin' with someone today about The Holy Bible by Manic Street Preachers, and when we got to talking about Richey Edwards & his role in the band I said I thought it seemed like a James/D'arcy situation where he had a minimal presence on the records but was a huge part of the band's image & persona.

Another one could I guess be Happy Mondays, with Bez, though I don't know how much they actually "inducted" him as a full-on member of the band. & after reading Peter Hook's book on New Order, it seems Gillian Gilbert was a similar situation as well

One thing at least half of these have in common is that despite the arrangement, when these members left their respective bands for even a finite amount of time, fans complained that the music "wasn't as good" because of it

I dunno, seemed like a good diversion from all the Monuments to an Allergy talk, so have at it

Old 11-02-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
Catherine Wheel
Banned

James has songwriting credits on mayonnaise and soma and I am one. Those are considered important songs by most fans. You could say that Darcy was all image / no substance but not James.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:42 PM   #3
Catherine Wheel
Banned

As far as Mellon collie didn’t he also co-write farewell and goodnight another song that is considered important and he came up with guitar solo for zero and love even though he’s not credited. He really did play enough songwriting role with first three albums to say he’s more than just a pretty face.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:00 PM   #4
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

I said minimal presence on the records not none ya fuckin' TIT

Old 11-02-2018, 02:33 PM   #5
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

he's just trying to get ppl riled up by talking shit about darcy

that's some low level trollationing, kimono sharter. i would know.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:33 PM   #6
Catherine Wheel
Banned

James doesn’t have a minimal presence on sp songs. That’s what I’m trying to say. I don’t agree. His Role in the band is a lot like Kim thayils role in soundgarden to me. James has way too many songwriting credits in early days of band for me to see him as having a minimal presence

Old 11-02-2018, 08:00 PM   #7
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

LOL, what? Kim Thayil’s presence is noticeable on like every fucking Soundgarden song.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:43 PM   #8
redbreegull

The Beatles. George Harrison is a James Iha and D'arcy is a Ringo

Old 11-02-2018, 08:44 PM   #9
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Kim doesn’t have many songwriting credits on later stuff like down on the upside. But on earlier stuff like superunkown and the one before that he has bigger role. But even on those early albums he’s not songwriter on every song.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:13 PM   #10
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
Kim doesn’t have many songwriting credits on later stuff like down on the upside. But on earlier stuff like superunkown and the one before that he has bigger role. But even on those early albums he’s not songwriter on every song.
He is the focus guitar player in the band. Billy is the primary guitar player in SP, not James. Every single Soundgarden song has what is blatantly obviously Kim Thayil jizzing fat riffs all over it.

James' influence is way more sparse and subtle, and even if you believe he played or wrote parts for most songs, that's a huge assumption we don't have evidence for

Old 11-02-2018, 10:08 PM   #11
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

WTF Kim Thayil is the thing that makes Soundgarden sick. Down on the upside is a snoozer anyway. That's like saying Jerry Cantrell isn't important to Alice In Chains.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:13 PM   #12
redbreegull

yo Kim Thayil has some sick fucking guitar work on Down on the Upside.

I understand that it's like their Machina, but it's kind of an underrated record IMHO

Old 11-02-2018, 10:22 PM   #13
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

I knew I was skirting somewhat close to Cat Wheel territory with this thread but little did I know the Mad Cat would come in & fuck shit up in such a beautiful, trademark way. God bless you Cathy

Old 11-03-2018, 12:20 AM   #14
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Chris, Tina, and Jerry from Talking Heads all played James-ish roles, their influence is there, but it just adds flavor. Byrne is Billy and Eno, when present, is Jimmy. They other three, as one reviewer described them, are just David Byrne's somewhat talented backing band.

And yes, I know about the Tom Tom Club.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:06 AM   #15
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Ed o Brian comes to mind. Haven’t people remarked over years that he’s the only Radiohead member with no real talent? And what about the bass player for Coldplay? Wasn’t he just hired cus of his looks essentially?

Old 11-03-2018, 07:23 AM   #16
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

agreed, the talents of their bass player are DWARFED by those of the other Coldplay members

Old 11-03-2018, 07:24 AM   #17
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
WTF Kim Thayil is the thing that makes Soundgarden sick. Down on the upside is a snoozer anyway. That's like saying Jerry Cantrell isn't important to Alice In Chains.
Hey now, we shouldn’t discount Cornell’s incredible vocal performance. Best singer of the grunge/alternative era, technically at least.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:23 AM   #18
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
The Beatles. George Harrison is a James Iha and D'arcy is a Ringo
Fuck oooooooooff. The George-James comparison is worse than anything Kimono Shithead has ever conjured up.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:34 AM   #19
Shallowed
Braindead

Bilinda Butcher is kind of like a combination of D'arcy and James, I feel.

She joined the band on the condition that she learned to play guitar. I don't know if she actually plays guitar on any of their records. Definitely not Loveless. When they play live, she often doesn't even play guitar at all. On most live recordings, her guitar is almost always completely inaudible, or extremely quiet.

However she does write a lot of the lyrics and of course sings and is a huge part of MBV's image. See: the To Here Knows When music video.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #20
FoolofaTook

man i don't know. bilinda has an wonderful voice. fits the music perfectly.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:58 PM   #21
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Andy Fletcher of Depeche Mode seems to do nothing, or at least very, very little musically in the band & is often credited as their "financial manager" despite having always been credited & presented as a full-on member of the band

Ever since Alan Wilder left the actual musical "core" of the band has basically been Martin, Dave and whoever's producing them at the time

Old 11-04-2018, 01:59 PM   #22
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Curt Smith of Tears for Fears was relegated from lead vocalist/bassist to bassist/vox on maybe one song if he was lucky and additional "pretty boy" within like an album

Old 11-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #23
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
Fuck oooooooooff. The George-James comparison is worse than anything Kimono Shithead has ever conjured up.
George Harrison was more talented than any Pumpkin, but I think the dynamic is similar. His guitar style makes a subtle impact in their music but he didn't write very much of it, and when he did attempt to contribute he was often edged out by the more extreme personalities in the band.

the main difference in this analogy is that George proved himself to be an astounding songwriter and musician in his own right once he graduated from the band, and James' most glorious post-band moment was playing Mayonaise live in Japan and having people call it a cover

Old 11-04-2018, 02:36 PM   #24
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

There was also the difference of George's Beatles songs being ones you'd often here in "best of Beatles" lists, i.e. Taxman & While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Who's out here reppin' "Blew Away" as a top 5 Pumpkins? Not to undercut James because I do like some of his tracks, but he wasn't really on par with Corgan in the way Harrison was with Lennon/McCartney

Old 11-04-2018, 02:44 PM   #25
redbreegull

That is certainly true, but I still think it is a fairly accurate comparison vs. most of the others which have come up ITT. Two guys dominate the band, then there is an underappreciated, understated 3rd person, and a 4th person who actually contributes almost nothing to the creative process, but the 3rd and 4th person are perceived as being critical to the band's identity regardless.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:51 PM   #26
myosis
Minion of Satan

george played on the records

Old 11-04-2018, 02:52 PM   #27
myosis
Minion of Satan

what about the boys in Prodigy?

Old 11-04-2018, 03:06 PM   #28
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
george played on the records
James also played on the records.

Paul McCartney would also go back and rerecord the parts played by other band members.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:09 PM   #29
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
what about the boys in Prodigy?
I guess if we're going this direction might as well throw in The Real McCoy

Old 11-06-2018, 02:51 AM   #30
Shallowed
Braindead

Some bands have a member that is analogous to George Harrison. As in, the under-appreciated occasional songwriter that was allowed a couple of their songs on each album, and were usually the best, or at least stand outs.

Sonic Youth - Lee Ranaldo
The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Matt Hollywood