Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2017, 12:17 AM   #31
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
cool video. I bought a Big Muff in the mid 2000s to emulate Corgan and it sounds like shit. awful pedal, literally no presence, completely disappears when another guitar with different distortion (or any other instrument with an amplifier) is present. impossible to record. I figure Corgan found success with this because his rig costs $20k or whatever
Did you try layering overdubs with different settings on the tone control, like Billy demonstrated in the video?

This is the first I've heard of that particular aspect of the technique.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:50 AM   #32
he/she/it
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
NOW I believe Billy has turned a corner in his life. I never thought I'd see him touch a Big Muff again let alone happily appear in a video for EHX.
There was a Twitter post from I think earlier this year, though maybe last year, that showed Billy's acoustic tour pedal board, and on it was a Muffuletta, which is a pedal that includes the circuits for a bunch of different Big Muff versions, with those circuits being selectable via a knob.

http://pedals.thedelimagazine.com//w...etta-00031.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
cool video. I bought a Big Muff in the mid 2000s to emulate Corgan and it sounds like shit. awful pedal, literally no presence, completely disappears when another guitar with different distortion (or any other instrument with an amplifier) is present. impossible to record. I figure Corgan found success with this because his rig costs $20k or whatever
I also bought one of those re-issue NYC Muffs that were being sold around then, and that one is pretty different sounding from the op-amp Muff that classic SP uses.

I put together a clone kit of the op-amp Muff, from BYOC: https://buildyourownclone.com/produc...er-opamp-kit-1

I also custom added a mid-scoop toggle switch, which some of the originals had. It sounds very classic SP - more easily instantly so through a Les Paul with 490R / 498T pickups than through a strat. A lot of that thick-bodied sizzle and growl on the album is coming from the Les Paul humbuckers. And if wanting Billy's SD strat sound, then the Lace Sensors have to be set up the correct way. I might make a thread about that.

The Univox Superfuzz was also used a lot on SD, according to a couple people who worked on the album. One reference for that is here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/show...1&postcount=31

And there are a couple other places where it was mentioned, though I don't immediately recall where.

The MXR Distortion II was used together with an op-amp Muff for solos, according to Billy's "stompland" pedal video.

Last edited by he/she/it : 12-18-2017 at 05:19 AM.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:26 PM   #33
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by he/she/it View Post
There was a Twitter post from I think earlier this year, though maybe last year, that showed Billy's acoustic tour pedal board, and on it was a Muffuletta, which is a pedal that includes the circuits for a bunch of different Big Muff versions, with those circuits being selectable via a knob.
On his acoustic pedalboard

What's the deal with the lace sensor setup too? The red bridge pickup has a similar output to a humbucker from what I've read, so it wouldn't be surprising if normal single coils can't do the SD thing. I've tried it and it sounds like ass.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #34
T&T
Socialphobic

you need lace sensors if you want the SD tone.
LS golds will get you there too imho.

fender also had their 'strat plus' model in the 90's with noiseless humbucker (in single coil size)
it was a rip off of the lace sensor, should get you there.

big muffs... they're always so variable
last time I tried 3 NY classic big muffs (v9) next to each other ,
they all sounded different
Personally I've got an original DeviEver (INFANEM) Silver rose - sounds fantastic. IC muff (V4) & superfuzz clones.
the IC muff side is perfect.
I also have a custom Rams Head clone (V2) by SolidGold, we got our hands on an original, and he perfectly component matched. Best muff I've ever heard but fucking 500$, so cheaper to clone and unlaod. I think for a long time people thought these were what billy used on SD. It sounds REALLY FUCKING good. I prefer the tone to the IC.

This site does an excellent Muff rundown
THE BIG MUFF π - A HISTORY OF ALL VERSIONS - Part 1

and there's a decent section dedicated to billy & SD tone
BILLY CORGAN AND THE 'WALL OF MUFF' SIAMESE DREAM TONE

Last edited by T&T : 12-18-2017 at 05:49 PM.

Old 12-19-2017, 04:56 PM   #35
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

I should bite the bullet and get a set of Lace Sensors. I nearly bought a dually red bridge pickup but it's probably not the same.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:03 PM   #36
spguitar0
Demi-God

This thing is amazing fyi.

https://media.sweetwater.com/images/...035414fc55a189

Old 12-19-2017, 06:28 PM   #37
Pizza Club
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by he/she/it View Post

http://pedals.thedelimagazine.com//w...etta-00031.jpg

I also bought one of those re-issue NYC Muffs that were being sold around then, and that one is pretty different sounding from the op-amp Muff that classic SP uses.

I put together a clone kit of the op-amp Muff, from BYOC: https://buildyourownclone.com/produc...er-opamp-kit-1

I also custom added a mid-scoop toggle switch, which some of the originals had. It sounds very classic SP - more easily instantly so through a Les Paul with 490R / 498T pickups than through a strat. A lot of that thick-bodied sizzle and growl on the album is coming from the Les Paul humbuckers. And if wanting Billy's SD strat sound, then the Lace Sensors have to be set up the correct way. I might make a thread about that.

The Univox Superfuzz was also used a lot on SD, according to a couple people who worked on the album. One reference for that is here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/show...1&postcount=31

And there are a couple other places where it was mentioned, though I don't immediately recall where.

The MXR Distortion II was used together with an op-amp Muff for solos, according to Billy's "stompland" pedal video.

I appreciate reading these kinds of posts even though I don't know 90% of what's going on. I feel like I'll eventually learn something!

Old 12-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #38
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

I took a look at your moms big muff last night

Old 12-22-2017, 12:42 AM   #39
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

allow me to demo this pedal for u

Old 12-22-2017, 01:22 AM   #40
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I don't like the way you stare while playing.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:53 AM   #41
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by butthurt View Post
But, does it djent?

Old 12-22-2017, 07:40 AM   #42
he/she/it
Ownz

Quote:

What's the deal with the lace sensor setup too? The red bridge pickup has a similar output to a humbucker from what I've read, so it wouldn't be surprising if normal single coils can't do the SD thing. I've tried it and it sounds like ass.
Yeah, it was on his acoustic pedal board, I guess maybe from some Zuzu's performance. Now that I think about it a bit more, I think it was an Instagram post by JHS Pedals - that, or they commented on it, or re-posted it...

I just did a bit of a search for it, but couldn't find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
you need lace sensors if you want the SD tone.
Also, minimum 500k pots on the volume and tone controls. I think 1 Meg pots should be used for the volume control.

Single-coil strats normally have 250k pots in them, and that makes the Lace Sensors way too dark-sounding, and not very pleasant or usable, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spguitar0 View Post
I bought one after hearing your recordings with it, and it really is amazing. I love that pedal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butthurt View Post
Sweet. It sounds really interesting. I might get one, even though I already have 2 clones of the op-amp Muff.

The EHX reissues usually sound a bit... less when compared directly to the originals. For example, the Small Stone, and the Russian Big Muff, both have small deficiencies in their sound when compared to the originals of those pedals. The Small Stone Nano just has slightly less deep, less colourful tone, and the Russian Big Muff Nano doesn't have as much wavyness in the distortion as the original does, which I think is one of its best qualities.

I'll be interested to see if someone makes a true original vs reissue comparison of the op-amp Muff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza Club View Post
I appreciate reading these kinds of posts even though I don't know 90% of what's going on. I feel like I'll eventually learn something!
Cool. I like the technical details, as well.

Old 12-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #43
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

your playing also sucks. shitty tone overall.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:49 AM   #44
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Old 01-06-2018, 11:05 PM   #45
he/she/it
Ownz

Quote:

I just came across the post again with his pedal board with the Muffuletta on it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDgx27Gh87I/

Also, Jeff's pedal board:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDgx_iwh87f/

The post is from March 2016, so, during the In Plainsong tour.

Found 'em here:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...#post-21673654

Last edited by he/she/it : 01-06-2018 at 11:31 PM.