Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2014, 03:12 PM   #91
Bread Regal
Banned

glad duovamps on my side on this one

Old 02-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #92
Bread Regal
Banned

so i got under the car today and i think i made a silly mistake that needs to be addressed soon-ish.

i watched some tutorials online that advised to remove the caliper. it was a fucking bitch to loosen those bolts but they gave way eventually. three bolts. i checked the pads and they were pretty seriously worn down with some huge deep grooves. same with the rotor (which iguess i should have noticed before putting it up on the lift.

the mistake i think i made involved removing the brake line as well so i could inspect the piston (which looked fine). i pinched the brake line beforehand to avoid dripping the shit everywhere. i reattched everything as before and now the brake is much spongier than before. a cursory googling tells me that there is likely to be air in the brake line now, which makes sense...i guess? its not immediately obvious to me how one could avoid getting air in there, and if there is air in their, shouldn't it just rise to the top of the resevoir?

overall it was a fun time. the staff at the place was super nice and helpful and answering my dumb questions. totally chill atmosphere.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #93
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

It might not rise to the top of the reservoir, but if you lost fluid, you need to add some to make up for it. That'll have an immediate impact on your pedal feel.

It'll rise to a high point in the line, but if the line goes down at any point after that, it'll stay where it was. It's probably just low on fluid. Should be a couple bucks for a half quart of it. If you get some at an auto parts store, they'll make sure you have the right kind.

Glad the people there were cool. It always helps to have a second set of eyes or hands when doing this stuff.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #94
Bread Regal
Banned

i did top it off when i was done and it's still rather spongey. my basic knowedge of hydraulic systems is this:

fluid revevoir -> pump -> control valve -> brakes

am i wrong in assuming that if there is any residual air between brake piston and the pump, this would cause the sponginess and it is possible that the air isn't making back up it beyond the pump?

Old 02-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #95
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
Buy a car that has had 200 owners in the last year, all of whom didn't give a fuck? Sign me up!

Something to think about: https://www.google.com/search?q=rent...x-a&channel=sb
I'll pay attention when one of you actually does as I have suggested and look up some information about the liability of buying a used rental instead of just assuming your intuition is ironclad

Old 02-12-2014, 07:51 PM   #96
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
i did top it off when i was done and it's still rather spongey. my basic knowedge of hydraulic systems is this:

fluid revevoir -> pump -> control valve -> brakes

am i wrong in assuming that if there is any residual air between brake piston and the pump, this would cause the sponginess and it is possible that the air isn't making back up it beyond the pump?
If there's any air in the system, that air is going to compress a lot more than the hydraulic fluid.

When you replace the pads, it's always recommended you bleed the brakes too. That fluid gets extremely hot, and after enough heat cycles it loses its compressive strength. So bleed it out when you toss new pads on and you should be good. There are tons of guides for doing it, and it's 500 times easier if you have a buddy working with you to pump the brakes while you add fluid to the reservoir. Make sure you have an empty plastic water bottle handy and you should be good to go.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #97
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Buying a new car is fine if you have the cash. Buying a rental is pretty dumb, but if you're poor and are in desperate need of a car I guess you do what you have to do.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #98
Eulogy
huh

i feel like a bad NASCAR fan for not really knowing anything about cars : /

Old 02-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #99
Bread Regal
Banned

the internal combustion engine alone is a remarkable feat of engineering, to say the least. the supporting mechanical systems in the drive train are also incredible when you think about them, because it's all one part simplicity one part ingenuity.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #100
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
the internal combustion engine alone is a remarkable feat of engineering, to say the least. the supporting mechanical systems in the drive train are also incredible when you think about them, because it's all one part simplicity one part ingenuity.
Cars are really fascinating to me because of the complexity like you mentioned. I'm not mechanically inclined at all so can't/don't work on them but the machinery is nuts. Our vehicle's 4wd system is called Quotro or whatever and it alone is insane how it works. Mix in the fuel system, the cars featuring constant variable transmissions, emission limitations, etc. it is awesome. It's why I'm in love with airplanes and boats, too.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:04 PM   #101
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppunk View Post
Buying a new car is fine if you have the cash. Buying a rental is pretty dumb, but if you're poor and are in desperate need of a car I guess you do what you have to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I'll pay attention when one of you actually does as I have suggested and look up some information about the liability of buying a used rental instead of just assuming your intuition is ironclad

Old 02-12-2014, 10:17 PM   #102
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

ICEs are amazing, and one of my favorite things to study. Especially when they don't have pistons. Even the difference between 2 and 4 stroke engines is awesome. It's amazing how many ways there are to compress air, add fuel to it, then blow it up.

I also love how some engines are naturally perfectly balanced, or some naturally have a tertiary imbalance.

Speaking of drivetrains, my last car had a clutch-type limited-slip differential in the back, and I bought this car with an open diff. Finding out what kind if diff I wanted and putting it in was an awesome learning opportunity. Ended up with a Quaife (torque sensing) diff and I love it. The hard part was getting the backlash within a thousandth (!) of an inch.

Cars are fun. If you're a nerd, they can be really exciting toys to mess with.

Last edited by duovamp : 02-12-2014 at 10:39 PM. Reason: 2 funny typos

Old 02-12-2014, 10:25 PM   #103
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
Your fatal flaw is focusing on buying and not owning.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:35 PM   #104
redbreegull

k, I'll just wait for you to back that up

Old 02-12-2014, 10:38 PM   #105
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

dude duovamp is pretty unfuckwithable on this subject so you lost man

Old 02-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #106
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

RBG you keep saying "look up liability information" as if it's freely disclosed by the rental agency, as if the rental agency even knows what people do with their cars. You're going with your intuition here as much as anyone else, perhaps moreso considering you just shelled out some cash for a rental car. Sometimes logic is better than Google.

This is fucking funny
Top 5 Fun Things to do in a Rental Car Rent. Insure. Blast.

1. Nitrous. The quickest, easiest way to add 40 wheel hp to anything.
2. Tray Sliding. Take 2 trays from your local fast food joint, put them under the rear wheels, pull the E-brake and let it rip.
3. Off Roading or Rally X. Off-roading is a given, but rental cars are commonly used as an alternative to one's own car while learning to drive in Rally X.
4. Street Jumping. If getting dirty isn't your thing, do it in the street. Usually you'll find the best jumps disguised as parking lot entrances, large speed bumps and split level property connectors.
5. Burnouts. Duh, you don't have to pay for the new tires the car will need when you're done with it. Light 'em up to your heart's content.

Read more: http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/e...#ixzz2tAMzDfpp

Old 02-12-2014, 10:44 PM   #107
redbreegull

as the only one who isn't basing my opinion entirely on preconceived feelings, I'm gonna go ahead and say no, I did not lose. I got a car in near-new condition and saved a lot of money. again, just type in is it safe to buy a rental car on google and read the analyses that come up on the first page.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:45 PM   #108
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
RBG you keep saying "look up liability information as if it's freely disclosed by the rental agency, as if the rental agency even knows what people do with their cars. You're going with your intuition here as much as anyone else, perhaps moreso considering you just shelled out some cash for a rental car. Sometimes logic is better than Google.
"logic"

Old 02-12-2014, 10:48 PM   #109
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Bam's so delightfully trashy in this one.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #110
redbreegull

I mean if it's so logical that buying former rental is a patently bad idea, surely a lot of people who write for auto blogs, auto mags, etc. must have also come to that self-evident conclusion, right? Hence making it really easy to find lots of opinions from people with ethos on the subject to back you up. Right?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #111
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Let's look at what we know. All other things being equal:

1)rental cars are exposed to several orders of magnitude more drivers of varying driving styles than cars owned by individuals. Some of these individuals may drive the car in a manner which damages it over time. This is a statistical reality and has nothing to do with anybody's knowledge of cars.

2)there are some people who abuse the shit out of rental cars, therefore it is possible that your car has been raced, off-roaded, redlined, drifted, etc. The fact that this was not disclosed to you at the time of purchase does not mean that it did not occur. In fact, the agency has a vested interested in withholding this information if it does know for certain that such acts occurred.

3)even if a rental driver doesn't consciously abuse their rental, there is less incentive to drive the vehicle in a manner which preserves it functionality

On top of our expert testimonial, I think I'm done devoting any more thought to this issue. Do some rentals work out? Sure. Some people probably fuck hookers raw and don't get any STDs.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #112
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
as the only one who isn't basing my opinion entirely on preconceived feelings, I'm gonna go ahead and say no, I did not lose. I got a car in near-new condition and saved a lot of money. again, just type in is it safe to buy a rental car on google and read the analyses that come up on the first page.
that's funny because the first page of results imply no.

like killtrocity said, do you think there's a database of epirical data that would answer this for us? if there is,it's probably inaccessible to plebians like you and me. all i'm saying is consider human nature. ever shower in someone else's house and use 5 times as much shampoo than you would if it were your own? the same psychology comes into play when people rent cars. they have no incentive to drive the car well so they don't.

rental cars have no way of knowing if their patrons:
excessively redline the engine
ride with both feet on the pedals in an automatic
haul ass over speed bumps
etc

so why do rental companies sell their cars after a year in service? it's because they start to deteriorate in the second year, by which time the factory drivetrain warranty will have expired. if you're going to ignore human nature in assesing the risk of buying from a rental agency, you do so at your own peril.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:56 PM   #113
redbreegull

I'm on the third page of results, perusing each one, ratio is about 4-1 in terms of opinions being that rental cars are not generally any more dangerous than any other used purchase. Sorry guys, you are wrong.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:57 PM   #114
redbreegull

oh there are some people who are very against it, but over half of them are guys on message boards like you with no evidence

Old 02-12-2014, 10:58 PM   #115
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ental+car&sm=3

Let's say one out of 250 people in the US treats cars like shit. A rental car has hundreds of owners. A used or leased vehicle has... maybe 2 or 3, possibly even 4. When you have more owners, your chances of having a bad owner increase. And at least when you buy a car used, you can either buy it from the owner, or have some way of knowing the vehicle's history.

Also people do NOT treat rental cars like they treat their own cars, as stated earlier. In every case study since the ancient Romans humans have proven that when they collectively own something, they treat it worse. And that's what a rental car is. It's the hooker of the car world. If you want to get in a long term relationship with a hooker, by all means. That hooker might have a heart of gold and be dead reliable. Maybe that hooker was treated very well.

If I were a betting man, which I'm not, I wouldn't count on it.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:59 PM   #116
redbreegull

Quote:
so why do rental companies sell their cars after a year in service? it's because they start to deteriorate in the second year, by which time the factory drivetrain warranty will have expired. if you're going to ignore human nature in assesing the risk of buying from a rental agency, you do so at your own peril.

they sell them because of the profit doofus, some Enterprise branches make more money off auto sales than rentals. I'm arguing with a bunch of people who literally have never researched or read anything on this topic but are sure they are correct because they understand human nature. You're using heuristics to come to these conclusions

Old 02-12-2014, 11:03 PM   #117
redbreegull

if you really want to argue at a high school level, how many people do you know that bought rental cars and had them fell apart? I know several other people who bought rental cars and none of them have thus far had problems unusual for the age and mileage of the vehicle

Old 02-12-2014, 11:07 PM   #118
redbreegull

but you know, just give it time. I'm sure when my car hits 200,000 miles the abuse it suffered in its infancy will finally catch up to and prove you guys right

Old 02-12-2014, 11:13 PM   #119
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
oh there are some people who are very against it, but over half of them are guys on message boards like you with no evidence
then show me the evidence that's in your favor. i mean really. if it's there, show me the mountains of evidence.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:15 PM   #120
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
but you know, just give it time. I'm sure when my car hits 200,000 miles the abuse it suffered in its infancy will finally catch up to and prove you guys right
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1...q53o1_1280.png