Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2017, 05:04 PM   #331
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i got a 4.5 on the writing section of the GRE. it's considered a good mark but probably the lowest mark that could be called that. i was hoping for a 5. but most people who get 5 to 6 follow strict guidelines to get it and have really boring essays. i should have done it though.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:22 PM   #332
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

How do they grade that shit? I can't remember what I got, but it wasn't good.

Overall the GRE was a miserable, pointless endeavor...

Old 10-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #333
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Some dude making $20 an hour grades it in 3 minutes and so does a computer program and you get the average. so one of them gave me a 5 (prob the computer) and the other gave me a 4. but there are two essays so idk how it's always x.0 or x.5. probably rounds up.

Last edited by reprise85 : 10-01-2017 at 09:25 PM.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #334
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i did fairly well on the GRE overall but I could have done much better if I actually studied. I basically did nothing for verbal except get a feel for the type of questions (which is a big deal, but i didn't actually study material). quant i probably studied for something like 30 hours overall which is nothing. i basically said fuck geometry and didnt learn any of that. basically it was spent on number properties and learning how to solve specific, common question types.

if i had actually systematically studied i probably could have gotten 165+ verbal and around 160 quant. and you need those scores to get into harvard, standford, etc. but my hopeful school (univ of miami), i'm at or slightly above average (163v/155q). they dont even have stats for the writing portion which tells you how little they care about it. my big strengths for UM are 1) my gpa 2) i match highly with their evo psych lab members as far as research interests 3) my honors thesis is evo psych based (mostly) and my adviser is a well known pioneer of evolutionary psychology. he even has a wikipedia page and shit.

in the end i didnt have the focus to study like maybe i should have. whether this was laziness or not wasting time studying to a test i would never have to deal with again, you decide

but still they only accept about 10% of applicants

Old 10-03-2017, 06:56 AM   #335
Ram27
dumb

I'm really, really fucking up this semester. I don't know why I'm doing this to myself. Not turning in work, just not caring anymore. It's like watching a trainwreck. I could work hard and try to stop it but it's ultimately pointless and I have no power anymore

And part of me just doesn't care. And another part is so scared.

this class I'm really fucking up, it's a good class, professor is good. If I could go back in time a month I'd probably be fine but....it's just fucked

Old 10-03-2017, 07:15 AM   #336
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Can you ditch the semester on medical grounds, thereby leaving your record unscathed?

I'm thinking it'd qualify as a depressive episode, I mean.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:39 AM   #337
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
I'm really, really fucking up this semester. I don't know why I'm doing this to myself. Not turning in work, just not caring anymore. It's like watching a trainwreck. I could work hard and try to stop it but it's ultimately pointless and I have no power anymore

this class I'm really fucking up, it's a good class, professor is good. If I could go back in time a month I'd probably be fine but....it's just fucked
man, i feel you. i pulled the lamest move of all time and missed my very first saturday class (of a 12-week class). like, i straight-up forgot about it. i was laughing and having coffee with tim before he said Hey, didn't you have class today.

i got serious real quick and whined about how irresponsible and embarrassed i felt. i couldn't even move. i just kept looking at the clock and thinking FUUUUUUUUUUCK and all about how easily the mistake could have been avoided and just so disappointed in myself. and i was way too anxious to stroll into class two hours late. so i read the syllabus and then emailed the teacher without being too apologetic (cause i'm only hurting myself, not him) and told him i intended to be at the next class and complete the course.

he told me it would tough to make up that much time, but he isn't aware of my super-student nature.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #338
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post

can you still drop classes? if not, you might still be able to on medical grounds after the drop period. sorry you're feeling so bad

Old 10-03-2017, 09:50 PM   #339
Ram27
dumb

hey guys, thanks so much for the advice. really appreciate it

it was a motherfucker of a depressive episode....most of this year, that is. i just wasn't mentally ready at all to come back to school and do stuff i hate.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:08 PM   #340
Ram27
dumb

[don't read any of that shit, long story short is that life is hell]

but genuinely, thank you all for being super cool and having wise words and reading my stupid posts about jimmy chamberlin and being sad and stuff

Last edited by Ram27 : 10-04-2017 at 07:33 AM.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:41 AM   #341
yo soy el mejor

i totally get how all that bullshit would sour and pretty much f up a semester at school. don't think about it too much. figure out what you gotta do to make the grade you want to make. if it's feasible and you have the motivation, time, and a plan, then do it. otherwise, you need withdraw asap or before it's too late.

the worst thing would be letting that deadline pass and burying yourself and ultimately not doing your best work and having it show in your grade.

Last edited by yo soy el mejor : 10-04-2017 at 12:48 AM.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:44 AM   #342
yo soy el mejor

/reminds self to stare at planner

Old 10-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #343
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

the thing with withdrawing that sucks is that if you have a pell grant and/or loan you have to pay some of it back, plus if it's after drop/add you have to pay for the class you just dropped. that alone makes it unfeasible for me to ever drop a class. i mean i'm at the end now so it doesn't matter but keep that shit in mind

ram one semester won't kill you, if you can't drop at least try to pass. you have at least 7 other semesters plus summers. this is about the long game

Old 10-04-2017, 12:06 PM   #344
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

my thesis adviser just said my thesis draft is 'very good' and he wants to discuss with me next week. it's a partial draft (30pgs and I need about 50) but it's awesome to hear those words.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:41 PM   #345
Ram27
dumb

cheers reprise

certainly gonna try. i have no idea why, but on monday, knowing i didn't even try on two projects, looking at my grades and seeing 0s really fucked my shit up.

but then today i fuckin went to class anyway and paid attention and stuff. still have ~2 weeks until the next project's due. gonna really try

nice job on the thesis

Old 10-04-2017, 08:02 PM   #346
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

good man, you can do it! you can even try talking to the professor and saying you've been depressed and if there is anything you can do to make up some work. some of them are surprisingly helpful

i skipped class tonight. usually i go in and do all the work for my other three classes on wednesday during the day (which is possible believe it or not). i did some of that work on tuesday and will need to finish it tomorrow. this week I wrote 1000+ words for my thesis which is good. i feel like im almost done explaining the background theoretical information about deception (comparing human deception to other animals, describing a framework for understanding deceptive sophistication, explaining why if getting caught lying can result in severe penalties we might do it anway, etc). that is really the hard part. now i can go into why people deceive and there are actual studies to write based on instead of it all being theoretical. information control, convenience, mating resources, to avoid conflict, to help and hurt others (the former being much more common). although once i finish that if i get into self-deception it is very theoretical again.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:01 AM   #347
LaBelle
Socialphobic

My gf got a 10 on her script for screenwriting class, I helped her with the formatting and revising a few errors here and there.

I feel like that's partially my 10.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:49 PM   #348
Ram27
dumb

about to do a project review for my software engineering class. the guy is late so i'm just sitting here boarding

Old 10-06-2017, 07:58 PM   #349
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Old 10-06-2017, 08:28 PM   #350
FoolofaTook

I'm about to clean toilets at college.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:28 PM   #351
FoolofaTook

Inshallah.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:43 PM   #352
Ram27
dumb

about to meet my advisor and talk about how fucked everything is ��

Old 10-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #353
Elphenor
Braindead

how bad is it to have gaps where you stopped going even if you finish your 2 year degree

Am I basically already barred from schools of any prestige even if I continue with straight As

Old 10-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #354
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I always just assumed that nobody cares so long as you have the degree, grades, and most importantly, applicable skills.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #355
Ram27
dumb

anybody who cares about gaps is a wanker

Old 10-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #356
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
how bad is it to have gaps where you stopped going even if you finish your 2 year degree

Am I basically already barred from schools of any prestige even if I continue with straight As
you're only 20. it's no big deal. i went back to school after 7 years. it's an asset in some (maybe most) cases to have experience besides doing homework.

don't rely on what your parents tell you and what you've "heard"

so to answer the question: not bad at all. and no.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:38 PM   #357
Ram27
dumb

wait you're only 20 elph?

Old 10-11-2017, 06:09 PM   #358
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post

I went to school in 2008 and got sick and had 2 Ws and an F. And then I went back starting in 2012 and have all As since then. i dont think it will hurt me, in fact i have something to talk about in my letter of purpose for graduate school. overcoming adversary is looked upon highly in some fields.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:24 PM   #359
buzzard
Minion of Satan

All you need is some putty to fill in those holes.

Humanitarian work, for example. Caring for a dying relative in their final throes of existence will also typically go down a treat.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #360
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

applying at graduate schools is fucking expensive

$27 to send them my GRE scores. sam houston state has $45 fee plus $20 for graduate department. $15 for my two college transcripts. fucking more than $100 for the privilege to apply. then once i graduate in december another $10 to send them a new transcript

UM is even more