Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2017, 06:20 AM   #1
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Default Rolling Stone: Billy Corgan Talks Solo LP, Making Peace With Original SP

"The only person to play on the record outside of Corgan and a string quartet is original Smashing Pumpkins guitarist James Iha, who appears on "The Processional." It marks his first time on a song with Corgan since the 2000 Smashing Pumpkins LP Machina II/The Friends & Enemies of Modern Music. They were estranged for many years following the dissolution of the original Pumpkins that year, but in March 2016 they shocked fans when they performed a series of songs from Siamese Dream at a handful of shows on the Pumpkins' In Plainsong tour. "I sent him some [songs] and said to him, 'I feel like this is right up your alley' as far as the kind of music he likes to work on," says Corgan. "He picked out two songs, though one will likely be a B side." "

"...and even reestablished a relationship with reclusive bassist D'arcy Wretzky. "I talk to D'arcy all the time," says Corgan. "We reconnected, I guess, about a year and half ago. We talk really regularly. I'm really happy to have her back in my life." "

"That doesn't mean a reunion tour of any sort is anywhere near a definite thing. Iha has commitments with his band A Perfect Circle through the end of the year and Corgan is going to support Ogilala with a solo tour. Even when both projects wind down next year, they're in no hurry. "[A reunion tour] has been knocked about," says Corgan. "There's certainly gears that turn and things get waved around, but until it's inked, I'm in the dark as much as anybody … But I'll say this and I mean it: If we never play a note together again, that's OK. I'm way, way more interested in the fact that we have peace with each other." "

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...mpkins-w504739

Old 09-24-2017, 06:30 AM   #2
fuzzyroes
Banned

Oh man, a reunion tour is so gonna happen!

Really interesting to hear he's in touch with D'arcy again!

That was the only link in the chain that I wasn't sure was reparable but fuck... An OG Pumpkins tour will do huge business.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:35 AM   #3
fuzzyroes
Banned

Dude, you quoted the weirdest shit...

How did you miss this?!?!?!

"That doesn't mean I haven't had help, but I think my interest in working on just the name Smashing Pumpkins is not as interesting to me without original people involved. It doesn't seem to have the same resonant energy for me. I like to think that if I do any work in the future it would be with them, if possible."

Old 09-24-2017, 06:37 AM   #4
fuzzyroes
Banned

he reached out to Rick Rubin to see if he had any ideas for a producer. "I thought he'd recommend some guy in the Valley that was like some wizard," says Corgan. "But he told me to send him some stuff. About a month later he said, 'I love this. Write more. I want to produce it.' I was totally shocked."

Lmao... As if that wasn't a clear invitation for Rubin to produce the album.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:45 AM   #5
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

And JIMMY is already talking about touring with the PUMPKINS next year.
They have a leak in their own lines...

Old 09-24-2017, 06:46 AM   #6
fuzzyroes
Banned

It's hilarious seeing these old timely shots of Jimmy

http://img.wennermedia.com/760-width...355433aae1.jpg

You can look at this image and almost vividly imagine him in 1991 going: "Fuck! Fine! I'll wear this gay ass flower shirt, now leave me alone and don't ever try to tell me that I never try to fit in with the bands image anymore!

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 09-24-2017 at 06:51 AM.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:48 AM   #7
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post

"That doesn't mean I haven't had help, but I think my interest in working on just the name Smashing Pumpkins is not as interesting to me without original people involved. It doesn't seem to have the same resonant energy for me. I like to think that if I do any work in the future it would be with them, if possible."

That's the 2017 version of "I want my band back".

Old 09-24-2017, 07:01 AM   #8
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

lololo is this writer taking the piss out of bill?

Quote:
He then did something he'd never done at any point in his career by putting the unfinished album on the shelf and completely walking away from it.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:12 AM   #9
fuzzyroes
Banned

haha nice find.

It really is an action packed article. Where to start, who the fuck knows. Just close your eyes and point at a part and it would create enticing dialogue.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:14 AM   #10
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
I honestly think he's noticed the mind-boggling success of the slapped together GnR tour and figures "hey, if we have 1 tenth of that kind of success we'll all be jumping for joy".

Old 09-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #11
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:

Bill finally realized what we all did a decade ago

Old 09-24-2017, 10:38 AM   #12
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
I'm 100% expecting a press release of that nature the day Oligaga is launched. just like he did when TFE was released.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:51 PM   #13
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:

Translation: My releasing material under the Smashing Pumpkins name by myself has proven to be a commercial and critical failure in recent years and I now know that in order to continue using the SP brand I need to reconnect with the original members in order to sell the product to fans and promoters.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:18 PM   #14
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:

ok this makes me angry

Old 09-24-2017, 06:19 PM   #15
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

and happy, sure, but fuck dude, did it really take all that time to make you realize this?

how is this anything less about money than everything that came before?

Old 09-24-2017, 06:20 PM   #16
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

it will all implode again before they're starting with the actual tour. I'm willing to bet on that

Old 09-24-2017, 07:03 PM   #17
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

"Smashing Pumpkins is not as interesting to me without original people involved"

Can't wait to see how much of them he needs to be original nowadays, to feel comfortable again...

Old 09-24-2017, 07:14 PM   #18
Ram27
dumb

he seems to be on good terms with everybody though

Old 09-24-2017, 07:15 PM   #19
Ram27
dumb

somehow

Old 09-24-2017, 09:02 PM   #20
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Blossom View Post
Translation: My releasing material under the Smashing Pumpkins name by myself has proven to be a commercial and critical failure in recent years and I now know that in order to continue using the SP brand I need to reconnect with the original members in order to sell the product to fans and promoters.

that's awfully cynical, but I get the point.

Maybe, just maybe, he has a better understanding of how band alchemy works. He got lucky with Melissa, even Melvion as they added to the existing element. There's no way he's oblivious to the dynamism that was present in the band through 2000, but perhaps he took it for granted and went down the "Me and Jimmy are world class musicians, James and D'arcy were not -- it was an issue." Uh, actually no, it never was to the fans. It was perfect for a while there how it all blended.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:13 PM   #21
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

like i said in the other thread with his daily videos, he sounds utterly defeated and shut down. he talks like a vain man who got a very humbling lesson in humility. which is not far from what actually happened, but let's not forget he was basically a genius during the band's heydey. it's just sad to see. note how the article ends with "you can call me anything you like (Billy, William) as long as you call me". what is that if not desire to not be forgotten and abandoned, to remain relevant?

i'm at least happy for him that he seems genuinely thrilled with finally making peace and having james and d'arcy in his life again.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:17 PM   #22
Insight_Scoop
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern View Post
that's awfully cynical, but I get the point.

Maybe, just maybe, he has a better understanding of how band alchemy works. He got lucky with Melissa, even Melvion as they added to the existing element. There's no way he's oblivious to the dynamism that was present in the band through 2000, but perhaps he took it for granted and went down the "Me and Jimmy are world class musicians, James and D'arcy were not -- it was an issue." Uh, actually no, it never was to the fans. It was perfect for a while there how it all blended.
I was thinking the same thing. It seemed like he wanted the original band to reconvene in 2005 and was really mad when they didn't want to. Then for like the next 7 or 8 years he was insistent that they didn't matter. Seemed like after Oceania he gradually chilled out about fighting that battle. There was in interview in iike 2013 where he it seemed like he was beginning to acknowledge the importance of the original band's mojo. I hope they tour.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:48 PM   #23
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Lol rolling stone

lol bElli crogna

lol tsp

lol netphoryans who care

Old 09-24-2017, 11:51 PM   #24
FoolofaTook

This will be yet another failure. Especially after Airplane Mode meets the God Stud aka Jimmy Chamberlain.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:51 PM   #25
FoolofaTook

I called it first! Rmember this, servile worms!

Old 09-25-2017, 12:54 AM   #26
myosis
Minion of Satan

it brings a tear to my eye when i read about the reconciliation

Old 09-25-2017, 05:49 AM   #27
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

"There's certainly gears that turn and things get waved around, but until it's inked, I'm in the dark as much as anybody … But I'll say this and I mean it: If we never play a note together again, that's OK."

>>>

Jimmy (interview with WGN Radio, 2017/06/27):

"We were talking about playing next year with the band and somebody asked me, you know, 'what's it like to coordinate that?'. I said 'it's like Grumpy Old Men 3, only there's three grumpy old men and one's a woman'. That's how it has gotten to be."

"Do I potentially record some more music? Hell yeah, it's super fun. When Billy and I get together, amazing things happen."

Old 09-25-2017, 10:50 AM   #28
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
until it's inked
ugh
that means he's all talk and going to treat them the way he's treated the faux SP hires from the last few years... zero good faith.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #29
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah, gotta get the deal inked first.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #30
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

"I’m Spiritual Dammit | Billy Corgan on Spirituality, Solo Album & Smashing Pumpkins Reunion"

A new interview of BILLY CORGAN with JENNIFER WEIGEL from WGN-Radio (2017-09-25).
The same radio station where JIMMY CHAMBERLIN had an interview a few months ago with JUSTIN KAUFMANN...

http://wgnradio.com/2017/09/25/im-sp...pkins-reunion/

https://tribwgnam.files.wordpress.co...zerender44.jpg