Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
Alice
Minion of Satan

Default Do you like where you live?

Why or why not? Please answer in complete sentences.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:50 PM   #2
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Yes. I live in Somerville, NJ. It is a blue town with a varied, for the county, population. It's an old town with history, a downtown, interesting shops, old homes, a courthouse (it's the county seat) and many parks. It's arranged like an old town in a (somewhat, because roads were being settled long before) grid pattern of roads with mostly 1900-1930s homes on manageable lots. It's very Americana. Everyone is welcome. Within its borders is my favorite bakery for over 10 years, The Dessert Plate.

I dislike some aspects of it. There's definite gentrification happening. A "luxury" apartment building (so, an apartment with granite countertops) popped up downtown, as well as Starbux, a "Wolfgang's Steakhouse" and other chain, extremely expensive restaurants I refuse to be a patron to.

I think anywhere is guilty of this and possibly Somerville a little less so, but there are old boys' clubs. You know what I mean. I hope they die soon

Old 06-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #3
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Also nice to be along the Raritan Valley Line

Old 06-22-2017, 02:57 PM   #4
Alice
Minion of Satan

That sounds really nice. I've never been to NJ but I like old towns with history. I live in Los Angeles so not as much of that here. Among many things I dislike about Los Angeles is its constant erasure of the past. I haven't seen much of the east coast but I think I would like it. It's one of the parts of the world I could see myself eventually settling in. I miss seasons.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:35 PM   #5
Alice
Minion of Satan

I will be in Charlotte in about a week. Reading your post is making me more excited about it. I'll have a day or two at most. What, in your opinion, must I see in that time?

Old 06-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #6
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

I like where I live most of the time, but I suspect it's only because I'm used to it and the only other area I've lived in (central Louisiana) was terrible. Also, the weather. I live near Ft. Lauderdale, FL. The town I live in is technically urban but more like a suburb in a lot of ways. I'm not a big fan of the beach, but it's like two minutes from me. The people in this town are generally really nice, but the surrounding areas are notorious for asshole behavior. And the town I live in has some historical places but it's a really small place, so there's nothing too amazing. An old courthouse, schoolhouse, etc. Otherwise, there's strip malls on every corner of major roads. Not very pretty.

I'll probably be moving in about a year. Where to, I'm not sure.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:17 PM   #7
Alice
Minion of Satan

Florida blows my mind. Like, who settled in a place with giant deadly lizard monsters and said yeah this is fine? If living somewhere might involve finding a python in the cupboard when I make coffee in the morning then I think it might not be for me. I feel like I would never be able to relax.

I'm sure that's not all of Florida though, right? Any giant deadly lizard monster encounters? Where is a good place in Florida to see swamps? What's your favorite type of Floridian swamp? Mangrove and Cypress dome swamps seem pretty cool.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:23 PM   #8
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

There are a lot of lizards and stuff, even really huge ones. But, despite where I live being paved over the Everglades, there are no swamps around except what is left of the Everglades. It's not like Louisiana, for example, where swamps are like lakes and canals and all around everywhere. There's no swamps unless you go to the Everglades on purpose.

There are also not snakes everywhere. Maybe more in central and north florida. I've seen a few snakes but never inside of buildings.

It's mostly concrete and grass all around. It's literally built on a swamp but you'd never know it just by living here. There are some wooded areas but nothing big in my current city.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:25 PM   #9
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

I wouldn't go into small random bits of undeveloped land in Florida without a guide.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:35 PM   #10
Alice
Minion of Satan

Yeah I don't imagine that going well for me. I am both fascinated by and terrified of the idea of swamps. It just seems like the type of place in which humans do not belong.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:36 PM   #11
Alice
Minion of Satan

Then again think of the rush you'd enjoy right before being drowned by a large reptile

Old 06-22-2017, 04:51 PM   #12
Eulogy
huh

Chicago is great except for traffic and winter weather (but over the last two winters I've only had to dig my car out once so it hasn't been so bad). Top notch food and drink. A few lovely and peaceful parks and beaches if you know where to look.

What else do you really need

Oh and compared to other large cities it's cheap af.

I thought this was gonna be about actual living spaces and I also like that very much as of mid-May.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:56 PM   #13
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

I kinda miss Chicago. Def. the best city I ever lived in.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #14
Ram27
dumb

I live in a suburb in Indiana. I love it for the most part. I grew up here, the weather is lovely -- you feel the full effects of all four seasons. The atmosphere is nice, there's enough 'to do' around, at least for me, since I mostly just stay home, do stuff online, read, and play my drums. Pretty great schools; our marching band is like one of the top 5 in the country. The town's been growing and we're finally starting to get real proper restaurants instead of shitty chains.

Politically I've been hating it more and more as I grow up and actually become aware of things. There are all these gross 'back the blue' signs around (which I genuinely thought was a Colts promo thing for a while).

Old 06-22-2017, 05:05 PM   #15
Eulogy
huh

I should note that Chicago is horrifically segregated and there is all the bad stuff that comes with that

So uh. So noted

Old 06-22-2017, 05:11 PM   #16
LaBelle
Socialphobic

The city I live in has all the hallmarks of a shithole. High crime, high cost of living, bad street maitenance, horrible with pollution laws, there's open sewage running across the city, not many cool places to go, barely any band ever comes play here.

Yet it's what I call home. There is this indescirnible charm to it imo. Couldn't see myself living anywhere else tbqh.

I live in Porto Alegre, Brazil.

Just for those who might not know.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:12 PM   #17
Alice
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
Chicago is great except for traffic and winter weather (but over the last two winters I've only had to dig my car out once so it hasn't been so bad). Top notch food and drink. A few lovely and peaceful parks and beaches if you know where to look.

What else do you really need

Oh and compared to other large cities it's cheap af.

I thought this was gonna be about actual living spaces and I also like that very much as of mid-May.
Yeah I miss Chicago a lot. I get to visit fairly often though so I'm happy for that. This is another city I could see myself eventually settling in.

And yeah I moved there for cheap rent. I couldn't rent a room where I am now for what I paid for my first apartment in Chicago, which was a decent sized one bedroom that was a 10 minute walk from the Blue Line.

I'll be back in July. What are some of your favorite lesser known parts of the city? I'll have a day to myself while I'm there. Any recommendations? I only lived there long enough to kinda start to get to know the city.

Also, my intention was cities/towns but I will gladly accept answers about living spaces. Tell me about your place.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #18
Alice
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
I should note that Chicago is horrifically segregated and there is all the bad stuff that comes with that

So uh. So noted
Yeah I definitely noticed this. Although it seems like most big, diverse American cities are like this, no?

Old 06-22-2017, 05:19 PM   #19
cork_soaker
full of longing

bay area, california

cons:
incredibly expensive and rapidly gentrifying. bad traffic (though i use public transit for work). i don't like the density of urban areas in general. im not from here -- it's never felt like "home" and i don't think it ever could. wish there were more distinct seasons. no thunderstorms, no fireflies

pros:
the unbelievable number of parks, reserves, national forests, and natural beauty available in all directions. coastal redwood trees. lots of good food.

probably will make a move in the next year or two.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:26 PM   #20
MeAndMyLlama

I don't really go outside much. So I guess it doesn't matter where I live.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:35 PM   #21
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

we live in west garfield park (in chicago) and i loves it. our neighborhood has a bad rep (cause it's full of minorities) that it doesn't deserve. there are lots of community gardens and a huge park and rent goes a long way. but there are holes in the street and overgrown lots that the city ignores.

the first day we moved in at least 5 neighbors came out to introduce themselves and a guy down the block invited us to a potluck. we lived in humboldt park for 4 or 5 years and never once did that happen and in a building with 40 units we only knew the old man luis who lived right next to us. we saw that neighborhood gentrify worse and worse the entire time we were there. and the apartment itself was shitty. not this one, though; our landlord put a lot of care and thought into renovating the place and using original woodwork. tim and i spend a lot of time at home and i can't believe we put up with that other place for so long.

i like chicago. it has a lot to offer, but i wouldn't settle down here. i am looking at transferring to a school in los angeles next spring. i have a brother and cousin (along with her husband and child) out there so there's that.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:36 PM   #22
Alice
Minion of Satan

The redwoods are so cool. And I also miss thunderstorms and fireflies. I used to live near a big semi empty lot that filled up with fireflies in the summertime and it was magical. I still remember the first time I saw it. It took me a few minutes to realize what I was seeing. I miss the sound of cicadas too.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:39 PM   #23
Alice
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
we live in west garfield park (in chicago) and i loves it. our neighborhood has a bad rep (cause it's full of minorities) that it doesn't deserve. there are lots of community gardens and a huge park and rent goes a long way. but there are holes in the street and overgrown lots that the city ignores.
I like the conservatory but never saw much else in Garfield Park. I did always feel like people were the nicest to me in the parts of Chicago that were designated "bad neighborhoods"

Old 06-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #24
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

I like my apartment and its close proximity to where I work.

What I don't like is my nosy neighbor downstairs who has no sense of boundaries and the neighbors behind my bedroom wall who spend all of their evenings outside smoking and being loud while their baby cries. My girlfriend and I had to listen to them have what sounded like really bad, unpleasant sex while their baby cried a few weekends ago.

I'd really like to move. I am quickly outgrowing this town and I feel like I have virtually no privacy. I live right off of a heavily trafficked street and the noise in the summer is so annoying, which is to say nothing of all the drunk yahoos causing trouble all hours of the day/night. The homeless population here is really out of control.

I plan on making a significant move once my pup passes and my financial affairs are in better shape. I give it two years.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:42 PM   #25
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I miss the sound of cicadas too.
i'm with you

Old 06-22-2017, 05:45 PM   #26
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I did always feel like people were the nicest to me in the parts of Chicago that were designated "bad neighborhoods"
this is not surprising in the least. it's just too bad the people who are afraid of neighborhoods like mine will never come and get proven wrong.

i worked at the conservatory off and on for about three years. in a few instances white women would call and ask if the neighborhood was safe. i would only say that i felt safe and actually felt less safe in neighborhoods like lakeview (a bro-dude trump supporter neighborhood) but, anyway, that one should also exercise caution in chicago (or anywhere for that matter). or i might say there is crime in almost every neighborhood and lots of good people live in gp so yes of course it's as safe as anywhere else.

i really couldn't seriously entertain such an ignorant question.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:06 PM   #27
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Portland, Oregon. What can I say, been here all my life and I'm not planning on moving so it couldn't be that bad. The hipsters are definitely the fucking worst though.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:23 PM   #28
Alice
Minion of Satan

I liked Portland but only got to see a little bit of it. I would love to spend more time there eventually. Hiking in Forest Park (I think?) was really cool. I felt like I might see a dinosaur at any moment. My favorite part of Portland is that everything is covered in moss. I thought that was only a wilderness thing until I visited. I found it quite charming.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:24 PM   #29
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

haha yeah, you're not the first one to mention that

Old 06-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #30
D.
Consume my pants.

kansas city, missouri, is just fine; i have fun here.

https://youtu.be/jEXPYh_lqxI

i really love chicago tho

Last edited by D. : 06-22-2017 at 06:35 PM.