Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2018, 01:23 PM   #1501
D.
Consume my pants.

hey can someone PM a 320kbps or FLAC of Gossamer? Preferably from the bonus EP.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #1502
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I never thought Melissa was that great. I think girls get judged by a different standard to guys, on bass. Especially hot girls. She was OK. I guess aesthetically she fitted in. But musically I've never been interested, I listened to a bit of her album and it was a bit like the JCC, very proficient but just not terribly engaging IMO.

I would probably rather listen to Bearcubbin'. I thought Mike Byrne was a bad fit for the band. but I liked his playing. so what do I know, obviously nothing

Old 11-03-2018, 01:49 PM   #1503
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy drevpile View Post
In "math rock" though he is really nothing special. At all. There is nothing that makes him particualry good in terms of his drumming contemporaries in that genre. Unless I'm missing something? Listen to 10 bands of that ilk and you won't here anything Mike does that makes him stand out as particualry special. I won't argue that his "style" (overplaying with [fluid] time keeping) seems more suited to that type of music though.

For being able to hold down -some- of JC's parts to a serviceable level - he can have some credit. But his butchery of the majority of them he will remain the worst drummer sp have played with by a mile. He was mostly ghastly. Brad Wilk did give him a run for his money though. His style isn't really suited to do either, but for different reasons.
i listen to a lot of math rock and he's definitely not a standout.

Still a very technically proficient drummer. Good drummer all round. Imagine trying to fit in Jimmy's shoes.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:58 PM   #1504
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Star View Post
Speaking as a bass player, there’s a lot wrong here. Yer in Oasis the bass doesn’t do anything more than provide low end, but in SP it plays a more important role. Generally it comes down to the era of the band, if the song was written when the band was a functional unit and songs came out of jams with everyone contributing (88-96, Oceania-era) then the bass does some important stuff rhythmically, tieing the drums to the guitars, establishing groove and feel and providing melodic counterpoints. Look at Rhino, Windowpain, Silverfuck, Hummer, Rocket, Set The Ray, and most of Oceania... not to mention Mary Star of the Sea, which is full of beautiful playing. If it’s one of the eras where Billy isn’t working with a bass player and works the parts out himself (lots of Adore and Machina, Zeitgeist, Monuments) the bass playing becomes less interesting and more functional very quickly. Billy specifically denied this in an interview I did with him, but he’s wrong (Nicole called the comment “deluded” on facebook.)
I’m going to have to request citations for the interview in question and Nicole’s comment. This is juicy.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:10 PM   #1505
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Star View Post
Speaking as a bass player, there’s a lot wrong here. Yer in Oasis the bass doesn’t do anything more than provide low end, but in SP it plays a more important role. Generally it comes down to the era of the band, if the song was written when the band was a functional unit and songs came out of jams with everyone contributing (88-96, Oceania-era) then the bass does some important stuff rhythmically, tieing the drums to the guitars, establishing groove and feel and providing melodic counterpoints. Look at Rhino, Windowpain, Silverfuck, Hummer, Rocket, Set The Ray, and most of Oceania... not to mention Mary Star of the Sea, which is full of beautiful playing. If it’s one of the eras where Billy isn’t working with a bass player and works the parts out himself (lots of Adore and Machina, Zeitgeist, Monuments) the bass playing becomes less interesting and more functional very quickly. Billy specifically denied this in an interview I did with him, but he’s wrong (Nicole called the comment “deluded” on facebook.)
You're right that the bass line is more prominent in some earlier tracks, but in the context of their live shows, the bass like is either defined by the song, or there is no space to improvise. The bass part is functional due to the material itself. Touring musicians generally try to be functional unless specifically asked to add some creativity into it. It doesn't sound to my ears like Billy ever asked his bass players to get creative. He thinks his own root note playing is sufficient, I don't think he really cares what the bass player is doing, so long as it doesn't draw attention to itself, which is probably why all of the bassists he's employed since D'arcy have a rather deferential, non imposing manner, aside from Melissa Auf der Maur.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:24 PM   #1506
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

alongside b0llzebub's godawful voice, the weak bass lines tsp's major flaw.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #1507
T&T
Socialphobic

with all the guitars being full frequency, there's barely any room for the drums... and there's NO room for the bass.
best to cut some space out to bring up the vocals at least.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:10 PM   #1508
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

He specified himself the order of "SP importance" was something like guitars - > drums - > vocals ----> bass

i mighta mixed up vox & drums but bass was most certainly at the end & guitars were most certainly at the top

btw, Raindrops + Sunshowers' bassline is sweet

Old 11-03-2018, 03:18 PM   #1509
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
I mean, why would you want this...

when you already have THIS?!!!

Bates needs to show more underboob.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:19 PM   #1510
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
Lookout Loretta
Wow now THAT'S a song title I haven't heard in a while!

Old 11-03-2018, 03:31 PM   #1511
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Razor Star, I don’t quite follow. Billy worked out all the basslines on Gish and SD and he plays the bass on almost every one of the songs on those albums.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:43 PM   #1512
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Razor Star, I don’t quite follow. Billy worked out all the basslines on Gish and SD and he plays the bass on almost every one of the songs on those albums.
Oh, this again?

Old 11-03-2018, 03:49 PM   #1513
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

He was saying that albums where Billy does the bass himself are somehow inferior. And yeah it’s very well documented that he played the bass on those albums. D’arcy plays on Luna only on SD.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:51 PM   #1514
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
Wow now THAT'S a song title I haven't heard in a while!
I know, right? Can't say I've listened to it more than like 3 times but... I'm a completist, so it counts.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:58 PM   #1515
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
He was saying that albums where Billy does the bass himself are somehow inferior. And yeah it’s very well documented that he played the bass on those albums. D’arcy plays on Luna only on SD.
Wait you just said he "worked out" the basslines of SD in advance. Now you are saying he just recorded them himself?

Which is it?

Old 11-03-2018, 04:09 PM   #1516
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

A bit thick are we? Obviously Billy both wrote the basslines himself and recorded them himself.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:12 PM   #1517
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
A bit thick are we? Obviously Billy both wrote the basslines himself and recorded them himself.
Wow! So on the two completely different set of live-recorded rehearsal demos from 1992, he's somehow playing both his guitar and bass simultaneously?

Old 11-03-2018, 04:27 PM   #1518
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Yeah because it’s definitely not possible that he taught everyone the parts to his songs.

tbh, I enjoyed when you got owned by Corgan on instagram for that whack Machina tracklisting you came up with. When the most self important man in the world calls you self important you’ve got
issues.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:28 PM   #1519
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

you guys need to chill

Old 11-03-2018, 04:32 PM   #1520
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Yeah because it’s definitely not possible that he taught everyone the parts to his songs.

tbh, I enjoyed when you got owned by Corgan on instagram for that whack Machina tracklisting you came up with. When the most self important man in the world calls you self important you’ve got
issues.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:33 PM   #1521
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:

issues.
lol Getting personal are you? I must have hit a chord.

Anyways, it's not probable based on 1) we have two sets of band demos of them all playing altogether, with similar basslines as what ended up on the album; 2) the length of time he'd have to prepare this in between touring and a general writer's block; 3) Corgan's justification for playing most all the bass was that he was just playing the parts she wrote in the first place; 4) Corgan has had ample opportunity to state "I wrote all the bass parts" instead of "I recorded all the bass parts", but he hasn't.

I could be wrong of course, but feel free to prove it instead of getting all emotional on the internet.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:45 PM   #1522
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I’m not even remotely emotional about this. You’re the one being a pedantic twat. I’d say with certainty that Billy wrote all the basslines for Gish and SD. D’arcy only ever received a writing credit for the basslines on “Daughter” as I recall. Most of the basslines follow the guitar anyways on the albums with a few exceptions like Rocket and Hummer.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:49 PM   #1523
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I’m not even remotely emotional about this. You’re the one being a pedantic twat. I’d say with certainty that Billy wrote all the basslines for Gish and SD. D’arcy only ever received a writing credit for the basslines on “Daughter” as I recall. Most of the basslines follow the guitar anyways on the albums with a few exceptions like Rocket and Hummer.
Oh is that how it works? If you write a bassline, you get an actual songwriting co-credit?

Old 11-03-2018, 04:52 PM   #1524
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Shouldn't you?

Old 11-03-2018, 04:54 PM   #1525
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

I mean, I'm not "picking sides" here but I was always under the impression Corgan wrote the majority of the basslines as well, but if someone writes the entirety of a part for any element of a song, wouldn't they at least get a fractional writing credit? I guess it all depends on what the band decides among themselves/their lawyers

Old 11-03-2018, 04:55 PM   #1526
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
Shouldn't you?
That's not what we are discussing, is it?

Old 11-03-2018, 04:56 PM   #1527
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
I mean, I'm not "picking sides" here but I was always under the impression Corgan wrote the majority of the basslines as well, but if someone writes the entirety of a part for any element of a song, wouldn't they at least get a fractional writing credit? I guess it all depends on what the band decides among themselves/their lawyers
Usually not, no. Unless the bassline creates the core of the definable song.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:57 PM   #1528
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy 100% didn’t write all the bass or James’ guitar. Butch Vig has said so, and I think Billy has too.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:00 PM   #1529
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Post the quotes then

Old 11-03-2018, 05:01 PM   #1530
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

What's being discussed is whether or not there is enough going on with the bass in any given SP set list to believe that any one hired bassist is notably better than another at principally following along with the root notes the whole time. Even in the case of a song like Rocket, if they don't play that little riff in the verses as it was done on the record, they're basically screwing up the song.