Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2011, 01:13 AM   #91
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

SHOW ME A MEAN FACE

Old 07-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #92
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

...daaaamn....this performance of "The Everlasting Gaze" is fantastic >>>

[starts at 2:23]

Old 07-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #93
Monet LSD
Ownz

Location: ...Talk about dedication, going all the way to the down under to read a rolling stones.

Oh, that's that sickeningly good version of To Shelia

Old 07-02-2012, 01:20 AM   #94
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

My favorite moment was when Jimmy quit doing heroin.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:23 AM   #95
Shallowed
Braindead

I love threads like these. I get such a massive smile on my face when I watch these videos, I can't help it. No matter what was going on behind the scenes at any given time, the band had such chemistry on stage with each other and the audience.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:33 AM   #96
Shallowed
Braindead

Jimmy is a much better drummer than Billy is a guitarist. Probably equally good at drums as Billy is (was) at songwriting.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:08 AM   #97
Starla

I was listening to this the other day (my daughter loves this song), and noticed how much I liked Jimmy's drumming

Old 07-02-2012, 05:33 AM   #98
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

...such a perfect intro fill >>>

Old 07-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #99
subzero
Demi-God

come back jimmy >_<

Old 07-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #100
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

his hi-hat rhythm on the live versions of pomp. gives an awesome pulse to the song. i dont remember exactly what he's playing because i havent heard it for a long time, but he's either accenting up beats or playing a triplet on them. sounds like there are 2 rhythms being played if i remember correctly.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:51 AM   #101
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingeroGuitaro View Post
his hi-hat rhythm on the live versions of pomp. gives an awesome pulse to the song. i dont remember exactly what he's playing because i havent heard it for a long time, but he's either accenting up beats or playing a triplet on them. sounds like there are 2 rhythms being played if i remember correctly.
He's accenting it this way (X being the accent) >>>

•X• X•X •X• X•X

>>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uOOQoB_1Nw#t=2m1s

He's playing the ride cymbal with his right hand and the accents on the hihat with his left foot. You can see it here if you pay close attention (full screen) >>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D8JkUevhXw#t=3m44s

Here you can see it very clearly. The hihat is low in the mix though so you can
hardly hear it >>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H61IkX3cFak#t=2m35s

Old 07-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #102
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

Ha I was at the Dallas show you linked. That's where I noticed it- I was standing in front of Jeff. I mentioned it to jimmy after the show- his ears perked up and seemed surprised that someone noticed something so subtle, especially in a live setting, said thanks and talked a little about it but I couldn't hear him due to the chatter and photo snapping.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:15 AM   #103
Monet LSD
Ownz

Location: ...Talk about dedication, going all the way to the down under to read a rolling stones.

This is the kind of stuff that I wonder whether or not Billy Corgan noticed. Obviously there's no question that Bill knows Jimmy is amazing. But I wonder how many of these little nuances slipped through the cracks.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:56 AM   #104
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

I've always loved the outro to Lucky 13. And the intro too
It's so disjointed yet cohesive

Old 07-04-2012, 05:18 AM   #105
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
I've always loved the outro to Lucky 13. And the intro too
It's so disjointed yet cohesive

Love it >>>

[listen to the fills from 2:24 to 2:37]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofiKawNztkg

P.S.: Listen to Billy's voice when he sings "I don't exist" at 2:30 .

Last edited by amoergosum : 07-04-2012 at 05:27 AM.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:41 AM   #106
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

News >>>

Quote:
Meade wanted to help open the doors to a formal musical education and much-deserved recognition for Haffijy, and some of his musically gifted classmates as well. But the education part takes money. That’s when Meade hit upon the idea for an album. He started reaching out to his musical friends in the U.S. He’s hoping the guys he worked with on the recent Winter Boys 7-inch single — Jesse Tabish of Other Lives and Derek Brown of the Flaming Lips — will join in. He said his old friend, ex-Smashing Pumpkin Jimmy Chamberlin, has agreed to play drums on the album, and he’s invited former ex-Lone Justice lead singer Maria McKee to add her distinctive voice to the mix.
Source:
http://newsok.com/tyson-meade-perfor...688328/?page=2

Old 07-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #107
Monet LSD
Ownz

Old 07-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #108
Monet LSD
Ownz

Worth listening to for 6:40 onward...so frighteningly tight, on a stripped down kit.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:23 AM   #109
Monet LSD
Ownz

Old 07-04-2012, 06:26 AM   #110
Monet LSD
Ownz

Exploration of Music - Jimmy Chamberlin from Brendan Baldwin on Vimeo.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #111
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monet LSD View Post
Worth listening to for 6:40 onward...so frighteningly tight, on a stripped down kit.
Yep...incredible groove/feel/dynamics.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #112
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

...such an awesome groove >>>

Old 07-05-2012, 01:23 AM   #113
paranoid
Minion of Satan

It goes without saying that Jimmy's drumming is a huge, huge part about why I enjoy listening to the pumpkins. It's just irritating when folks don't understand why I can't really get into a new drummer who can't even fill a quarter of the void in the sound that was left with jimmy. Then again, everyone else has their favorite aspects about sp, which I still can't seem to grasp. Trying to enjoy Oceania, but it just doesn't have that strong ingredient that really gives the music it's full power, and yes jimmy is a huge part of that. Too bad corgan had to write shitty songs when jimmy came back, and too bad he's writing some de net material now while jimmy isn't there to make those songs pure gold.

Btw machina era jimmy is monstrous.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:37 AM   #114
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monet LSD View Post
haha
even on some random drum wank video there's slander on iha and d'arcy

Old 07-05-2012, 05:51 AM   #115
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
haha
even on some random drum wank video there's slander on iha and d'arcy
He was talking about the beginning though, the first rehearsals.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #116
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

54 Backers
$5,021 pledged of $17,000 goal
25 days to go >>>

Quote:
Tyson Meade, frontman for Norman, Oklahoma glam-punk rock bands the Chainsaw Kittens and Defenestration, has announced plans to collaborate on a new album with high school and college students in Shanghai, China. This will be the first album in nearly 10 years for Meade, who has been living and teaching in Shanghai for the past 5 years.

Meade walked away from a fulltime career in the music business in 1996 (just briefly popping up here and there since that time) after feeling like his creative well had run dry. "I had lost my inspiration to write songs," he explains. "Maybe the fire was gone. Maybe I no longer thought of the process as being inventive or mysterious. Maybe I thought I was no longer doing this for the purity of music. For whatever reason, I stopped writing music."

For a complete change of focus and pace, Meade began teaching grammar to international students at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York City. Shortly thereafter, Meade relocated to China, a country whose culture had always fascinated him. He settled in to a college prep position teaching at a boarding school and was eventually appointed Dean of Students there. He was incredibly moved by his experience as a teacher and slowly the desire to play and write music returned. One of his students in particular, a boy called Haffijy who played violin, was especially impressed with his teacher's musical past. "I played Haffijy some of my songs from my music days and he quickly wrote parts for them," Meade recalls. "Not only did he write parts, he played with such love and honesty that I was touched immeasurably. Birds chirped in some sort of Far East Disney way."

Meade was eager to explore a further musical collaboration with Haffijy. "I became very curious as to how he might score a song still in development, one that I had no preconceived notions about, one that I had just written -- though I had not written any songs in some years at that point," Meade says. "I was now driven to write a song."

The result was "Stay Alone" (listen here: http://tysonmeade.bandcamp.com/), which became the catalyst for the entire China project. Meade played the song for some of his Western music friends, including fellow Norman-based, alt-rockers the Flaming Lips (who covered the Chainsaw Kittens' "She's Gone Mad"), Jimmy Chamberlin of Smashing Pumpkins, Maria McKee, and Other Lives (Meade has previously collaborated with Other Lives’ Jesse Tabish and the Flaming Lips’ Derek Brown on a project called Winter Boys). After hearing “Stay Alone,” these friends became interested in being a part of this unique, cross-cultural project and have agreed to contribute to this record as well.

Meade will return to Shanghai this July and begin work with various high schools and universities both there and in the United States for the project. His goal is to write and record at least a dozen tracks, which he will release as an album next year. A series of live performances is also in the works.

"I lived in China for five years and every Chinese person that I ever encountered is wonderful," says Meade. "They love America and Americans and I would love for America to love them back. I want the people who hear this project to hear their jubilation for living and for mankind in general."

Tyson Meade is an American musician, painter, writer, and teacher from Bartlesville, Oklahoma. Meade has recorded more than a dozen critically acclaimed records for major and indie labels since 1984 with his bands Defenestration and the Chainsaw Kittens, whose 1991 debut SPIN magazine described as "The Smiths meets the New York Dolls meets the devil." He's also released records as a solo artist and has contributed songs to the soundtracks for “Hellraiser III,” “Clerks” and “Bug.”
Source:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...album-in-china

Old 07-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #117
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post

Btw machina era jimmy is monstrous.
i listened to MI & II while taking a long drive earlier this week, probably for the first time in at least 3 years. the drumming alone was absolutely killing me. it really did carry the songs.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #118
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

Comparing Mike Byrne to Jimmy Chamberlin is like comparing a piece of chewing gum to an eight-course steak dinner. They both are technically food, but when it's time to eat, which would you rather have?

Old 07-15-2012, 06:29 AM   #119
brendo_91
Minion of Satan

thats a terrible analogy because the gum might possibly last in your mouth longer than the steak and nobody wants that to happen

Old 07-16-2012, 12:17 AM   #120
subzero
Demi-God

mike is a mcrib