Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #301
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Billy retweeted this >>>

Quote:
Sera ‏@seramarta
I had a dream I went on a date with @Billy. Needless to say, I didn't want to wake up for work this morning.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #302
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

i don't know what you kids are doing on twitter these days in my day we had ICQ and we were happy

Old 08-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #303
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

fer reals dude

you remember the icq song?

Old 08-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #304
rottenugly
Banned

remember aol

Old 08-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #305
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

A-O-Hell, as I called it. Maybe they had chat features people liked to use, but christ almighty if you tried to cancel their internet service after the 40 hours free trial period...

And then there were all those mid-90's ISPs (AOL, Prodigy, Compuserve) which charged PER HOUR, leading to a wave of daytime talk shows dedicated to discussing university kids who racked up thousands of dollars in debt.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #306
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpycat View Post
A-O-Hell, as I called it. Maybe they had chat features people liked to use, but christ almighty if you tried to cancel their internet service after the 40 hours free trial period...

And then there were all those mid-90's ISPs (AOL, Prodigy, Compuserve) which charged PER HOUR, leading to a wave of daytime talk shows dedicated to discussing university kids who racked up thousands of dollars in debt.
AOHell was some script kiddie hack program that let you use AOL while you were uploading in the background and shit like that. back in those days they locked the rest of the service if you were uploading. luckily, i was leet and understood how to use netscape to cheat the system

Old 08-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #307
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
AOHell was some script kiddie hack program that let you use AOL while you were uploading in the background and shit like that. back in those days they locked the rest of the service if you were uploading. luckily, i was leet and understood how to use netscape to cheat the system
I loved using AOHell to crash chat rooms with dummy text.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #308
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpycat View Post
leading to a wave of daytime talk shows dedicated to discussing university kids who racked up thousands of dollars in debt.
student loans?

Old 08-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #309
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpee View Post
I loved using AOHell to crash chat rooms with dummy text.
Seriously - had this program (wish I could remember the name) that would shoot the IM Bomb at people to punt them offline. Man, that thing was great. Neighbor kid started some beef with me, then I got ahold of his entire family's S/N's and would punt any/all of them the MOMENT they showed online. It was great.

ICQ was pretty non-user friendly, wasn't it?

Old 08-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #310
Trotskilicious
Banned

it was like instant messaging by way of the telegram

Old 08-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #311
myosis
Minion of Satan

uh-oh

Old 08-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #312
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Seriously - had this program (wish I could remember the name) that would shoot the IM Bomb at people to punt them offline. Man, that thing was great. Neighbor kid started some beef with me, then I got ahold of his entire family's S/N's and would punt any/all of them the MOMENT they showed online. It was great.
Pretty sure AOHell had that. It also had the slightly more malicious "Password Phishing" feature, for my less honest friends who needed more than their 10 hours / month to download warez.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:27 AM   #313
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
student loans?
No, that would have at least been more justifiable (relatively.) These were students who suddenly found themselves with internet access abilities and thousands of dollars in internet usage fees since they apparently couldn't contain themselves to just 20 minutes of internet usage per day. People forget just how exploitative that shit was back in the day...hell, ISPs are still running a scam compared to the rest of the world, but not like that.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:41 AM   #314
Trotskilicious
Banned

i'm sorry i consider student loans to be more exploitative of youth than pay by the minute internet

basically even the very smart get suckered into enormous loans because your future! but racking up a huge internet bill is just dumb and careless.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:08 AM   #315
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah, but there's a whole ingrained system to blame about how far out of control tuition has spun. The causes range from intentionally exploitative practices and unintended consequences of well-meaning programs alike. Whatever tuition is actually being extracted, institutions nevertheless still complain about the increased funding crunch in many departments and the need for more resources. (I'm not even touching the "for profit" institutions here which for the most part ought to be considered outright criminal.) The ISPs, however, were just being shitheads for no particularly good reason other than to make quick profit much like airlines who've found completely shameless ways to extract increased profit far beyond any need to compensate for increased fuel prices.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:57 AM   #316
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Follow me on twitter at @Billy

Old 08-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #317
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

yeah "for profit" post grad universities are such shit

Old 08-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #318
Trotskilicious
Banned

You know saying you pay by the minute up front and then going over that allowance is not a company's fault it's yours. I'm usually very much about consumer rights but as long as they're above table with it, gouging the stupid is fine with me.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #319
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
You know saying you pay by the minute up front and then going over that allowance is not a company's fault it's yours. I'm usually very much about consumer rights but as long as they're above table with it, gouging the stupid is fine with me.
I guess it was easier to tell them to go fuck themselves back then, right? I mean, now the internet is basically a utility that you're pretty much screwed if you don't have reliable access to and still want to get on with life. I fucking hate all the ISP options I have but I have to choose one and I can't do a damned thing about it! I think the way internet access is dealt with in America is unethical in whole.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #320
Trotskilicious
Banned

i hate that i'm about to say this but

the market pretty much pushed pay-by-minute services out the window because the internet was no longer a novelty it was a necessity so companies started offering monthly rates which pretty much doomed the pay-by-minute plan

Old 08-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #321
Trotskilicious
Banned

also i had pay-by-minute "free" netzero back in the dial up days in college and when i hit my limit and it went from free to pay i just picked my ass up and went to the computer lab

Old 08-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #322
Trotskilicious
Banned

lol netzero

Old 08-30-2012, 12:44 AM   #323
slunken
Virgo

i didn't have personal internet until 2000 and then used free aol monthly passes. i only paid for it a few times and had it shut off a few times for a period of time. but didn't really get heavy into it until 2006 i think is when i got high speed

Old 08-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #324
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
also i had pay-by-minute "free" netzero back in the dial up days in college and when i hit my limit and it went from free to pay i just picked my ass up and went to the computer lab
I was pushed into Netzero when it became a PAY company (LOL) because the Texas company I was with (EV-net out of Houston) was bought out.

And regarding market pressures, when in the hell is someone going to invent the fucking service model that pushes these assholes out of their current business practices? It seems like these days, rather than anyone hedging their bets with a no frills "budget basics" model that makes up for sales in volume (basically like what Walmart did to attract everyone to its stores initially) they all work in concert so that any new services merely copycats the preexisting models by touting either "special/premium" value added bullshit that's supposed to make them better (but not cheaper) so simply cornering a geographic region and buying everyone else out of the area where there are high barriers to entry so that, effectively, there's no real competition. Ultimately, all this shit going into our homes (whether it's from Verizon, ATT, etc.) is coming from the same damned phone line and/or set of communications towers.

Yeah, I totally know what you mean about playing the system to find clever ways to pay as little as possible - however, as with many technologies or services of this sort, in some respects it sort it seems a lot easier to play the system in its early years than when it becomes increasingly structured, codified, and merged into a mere handful of corporate players (from a relatively large field of regional and sometimes local competitors) as what happened with telecom or even the airlines for that matter. They're all on the same damned page.

Last edited by stumpycat : 08-30-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:21 PM   #325
slunken
Virgo

i can't read all that

Old 09-10-2012, 04:58 AM   #326
MustardLies
Pledge

not a billy tweet, but amusing nonetheless.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:59 AM   #327
Monet LSD
Ownz

Location: ...Talk about dedication, going all the way to the down under to read a rolling stones.

bahahahahaha

Old 09-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #328
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

@SabrinaDeep
"Last show of the day = cumshot. pussy or face you decide Come watch me ht.ly/dzFvE #webcam"

...3 minutes later...

@Billy in reply to Sabrina Deep
"@SabrinaDeep Happy Birthday beautiful"

Old 09-28-2012, 04:22 AM   #329
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Billy Corgan ‏@Billy
Bad news SP fans. All our stage clothes (except those in the wash) were stolen out of our cases in from Mexico. Sad end to a great trip!

Billy Corgan ‏@Billy
HERE IS OUR STUFF!!! Really appreciate the agents who went and found where it had been hidden

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A31Aa4hCMAA_Bw9.jpg

Old 09-28-2012, 04:24 AM   #330
LalaPumpkinhead
Ownz

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
Billy Corgan ‏@Billy
Bad news SP fans. All our stage clothes (except those in the wash) were stolen out of our cases in from Mexico. Sad end to a great trip!

Billy Corgan ‏@Billy
HERE IS OUR STUFF!!! Really appreciate the agents who went and found where it had been hidden

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A31Aa4hCMAA_Bw9.jpg
you are sure paying a lot of attention to band that you don't like