Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2007, 10:06 PM   #181
paranoid
Minion of Satan

check out "All You Need To Know About the Music Business" by donald Passman for all the details on recording contracts and how they are dealt, who makes what and how the artists are paid.

also, MCIS sold a lot in its prime, but i dont think it's flying off the shelves these days. Im sure Billy's not collecting a large sum of money on a yearly basis for this record anymore, same with all of the others.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:12 AM   #182
Dominion
Pledge

Zeitgeist drops to number 33 in the UK charts...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/albums.shtml

Old 07-23-2007, 11:58 AM   #183
Dr B DDS
Pledge

Doesn't Billy get a larger cut of each album since Martha's Music (the actual label the record is on, WB just distributes it I think) is really just a corporation or label name for Billy Corgan? Plus, it has always been said that the money comes from touring and merch, not record sales. That's why we pay $30-40 for a damn t-shirt that the band has all of $4 invested in overhead...

Old 07-23-2007, 08:26 PM   #184
blue_june_destroyer
Pledge

Who gives a flying fuck how much the band are making from the album and assorted merchandise!

I'm just glad they're making music again - I'm a collector, so I really couldn't care less about the upwards of $200 that I spent on Zeitgeist editions and merch so far this year.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:27 PM   #185
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_june_destroyer
Who gives a flying fuck how much the band are making from the album and assorted merchandise!
the band

Old 07-23-2007, 08:45 PM   #186
monkeyfritters
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_june_destroyer

I'm just glad they're making music again - I'm a collector, so I really couldn't care less about the upwards of $200 that I spent on Zeitgeist editions and merch so far this year.

whoa.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:08 PM   #187
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

i feel like bring the light as a single would give them a boost more than that's the way will

Old 07-23-2007, 09:13 PM   #188
SpFission
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR
i feel like bring the light as a single would give them a boost more than that's the way will
I agree.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:14 PM   #189
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

If anyone thinks this album is going to hit it big, please save yourself the disappointment.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:17 PM   #190
SpFission
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28
If anyone thinks this album is going to hit it big, please save yourself the disappointment.
quiet you.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:18 PM   #191
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

Cause Bring the Light doesn't exactly fit in next to mall punk, nu metal, and rap

Old 07-23-2007, 09:20 PM   #192
SpFission
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28
Cause Bring the Light doesn't exactly fit in next to mall punk, nu metal, and rap
I think it would be a great single....of course it wouldn't be a huge crossover hit or anything, but I think it would at least sustain Zeitgeist in the charts somewhat.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:15 AM   #193
Pug Superstar
Demi-God

I think Bring the Light could make a good single. Of course, the two songs on the album that I think would work the best as singles seem to be the two everyone but me hates: (Come On) Let's Go and Starz. I think COLG would appeal to the casual fans out there who just want to hear a good, straightforward rock song with some cool riffs and lead work. Starz, I believe, would appeal to those who are looking for something odd that stands out but is still catchy.

I know the netphorians have been ripping these two songs a new asshole for whatever reason, but I seriously think both of them would be much stronger singles than That's the Way. It's not that I think That's the Way is a bad song; I just think it comes off a little too "poppy" and will end up turning off people for that reason. The more I've listened to the song, the more I think that Billy wasn't trying to make it uber-pop radio friendly, but radio listeners who aren't as attuned to SP as the hardcore fans are may write it off in favor of Insert-Emo-Band-Here's new song about cutting themselves.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #194
questionsleep
Pledge

On Hits Daily Double nearly 70% sales are in and Zeitgeist is standing at #18 with sales of about 18,000.

So it appears although the album will more than likely climb several spots on the chart, it doesn't appear like it will be in the top 10 in it's second week.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:29 PM   #195
I Like Birds
Amish Rake Fighter

Their final chart has it at #13 with 37,158 sold. Massive decline, and really if there's not a big turnaround it'll be a big test for Billy Corgan's future. It's no secret that he wants to a big sales success, but if he comes to terms with the possibility that 1m copies sold worldwide of each future album is about the ceiling, he might just find himself in a pretty cool, relaxed place artistically.

The likes of, for example, Tom Waits, Nick Cave & Leonard Cohen have never, ever had the luxury of being as huge as Corgan (even today he has far more 'built in' sales from a pretty sizeable hardcore) yet they've all ploughed a very solid artistic furrow and have produced myriad classic albums & made many, many millions of $$££ between them without ever attempting to hit the top of the charts.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:33 PM   #196
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

it'd suck if they called it quits after this album/tour because it didn't do as well as past albums

Old 07-24-2007, 05:06 PM   #197
Pug Superstar
Demi-God

I'm SO worried that will happen. And that would totally fucking suck. The only saving grace about that situation is that at least it would mean that SP went out with a great album instead of Machina. (I know this is a matter of opinion of course, but I think Zeitgeist is a much better effort than Machina I or II).

Old 07-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #198
harrow
Demi-God

Too bad the t shirts are so ugly!

Old 07-24-2007, 05:27 PM   #199
if there is a llama
Demi-God

I doubt they'll call it quits again because of poor record sales. I think Billy really just wanted his band/songs back.

He wouldn't be surprised by poor record sales after Adore and Machina. Hell, this album has already sold way more than TFE did.

They'll probably make alot more from touring than they would even if the album sold well.

I'm guessing/hoping Billy will be content with being able to tour and almost always selling out 3000-5000 people venues. That's not a bad living.

I'd be surprised if they quit after one album and tour. Billy and company have put alot of effort into getting a touring band together (rehersing, learning old songs, building chemistry), and I don't think he would want to waste that effort, especially when the new members have not been able to contribute anything to an album yet.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:53 PM   #200
oddhandle
Pledge

The thing is, I doubt he will continue to sell out shows. Once the revival thing wears off people won't be driven to the tour by new material. The venues will get smaller and smaller until he's playing state fairs and rib cook-offs.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:54 PM   #201
daevil1
Demi-God

Dont claim it to have poor sales yet, the second single hasnt even been released yet. If that catches on, it could re-enter the top 10 and stay for a while. Many albums do this although I doubt it will happen.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:01 PM   #202
Gossamer
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: We got it like three quarters of the way in whilst on vacation last week. Minor success. Unfortunately she is leaving for England in a couple of days.

That's The Way is not a strong enough 2nd single for that to happen though.

I agree that Bring The Light would of been a fantastic choice.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:33 PM   #203
harrow
Demi-God

del

Last edited by harrow : 07-24-2007 at 06:56 PM.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:56 PM   #204
questionsleep
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by daevil1
Dont claim it to have poor sales yet, the second single hasnt even been released yet. If that catches on, it could re-enter the top 10 and stay for a while. Many albums do this although I doubt it will happen.
Yeah, I agree. It's a possibility that if the second single is a success, the album will get a reboost in the sales department.

I think the second single needs to be rushed to radio, by the time the second single is released in September the album in all likliness will have dropped off the top 200.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:50 PM   #205
WhiteHotSoul
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR
Quoted for truth.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:53 PM   #206
Virex Kills
Apocalyptic Poster

#13 isnt bad considering previous drops. Didnt machina sink like mad? Or was it MSOTS? Or both?

Old 07-24-2007, 10:36 PM   #207
marymary
Pledge

Second week at #1 in new zealand:

http://www.rianz.org.nz/rianz/chart.asp

Woot!

Old 07-24-2007, 11:24 PM   #208
uncannyy
Oblivious Virgin

Well, it's probably going to hold more #1's in other countries. The US isn't exactly the be-all and end-all.

Anyway, #13 is pretty good... I agree that a radio single should be released now to sustain sales.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:50 AM   #209
Pug Superstar
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrow
Too bad the t shirts are so ugly!
Yes, this is clearly the reason the album hasn't sold a million copies yet.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:51 AM   #210
Effloresce
Banned

to the OP: Could you gather the latest results and update them in the first post so we don't have to dig through the thread and all of the unnecessary bullshit ("too bad the t-shirts are ugly, LOLOL")