Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2018, 11:32 AM   #1
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Default Did James revive SP because he knew he'd make millions?

I mean, he fucking called Corgan and initiated the whole thing. Jimmy was probably on board, but James is obviously the absolute selling point of this tour.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:33 AM   #2
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Also, he looks apathetic in all interviews so far. Like he knows the other guys know he's in it for the money and just wants 2018 to end so he can get his 3 million or whatever.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

They may have been speaking and friendly, and that may well have been initiated by James, but he sure as shit didn't propose the reunion and tour and all that.

Billy proposed it to everyone with the whole HELP IM IN A HOLE routine.

James & Jimmy looked at their lovely houses and wine cellars and thought "well it's kinda thanks to Billy that I have this great life" and are now.. paying back billy the 5 pence.

You wanna know how I know this?

I WAS THERE

Old 06-20-2018, 12:03 PM   #4
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuzzledMuzzle View Post
Also, he looks apathetic in all interviews so far. Like he knows the other guys know he's in it for the money and just wants 2018 to end so he can get his 3 million or whatever.
He prob knows that actually there's not gonna be all that much money in this after all but he's signed a contract now.

If he sticks around he'll probably make fuck all , if he breaks contract he prob has to pay a massive penalty.

Not good times for poor old James

Old 06-20-2018, 12:04 PM   #5
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
They may have been speaking and friendly, and that may well have been initiated by James, but he sure as shit didn't propose the reunion and tour and all that.

Billy proposed it to everyone with the whole HELP IM IN A HOLE routine.

James & Jimmy looked at their lovely houses and wine cellars and thought "well it's kinda thanks to Billy that I have this great life" and are now.. paying back billy the 5 pence.

You wanna know how I know this?

I WAS THERE
It’s amazing how that “therapy session” from Vieuphoria is so spot on and probably not at all a joke knowing what we know now about the band

Old 06-20-2018, 12:09 PM   #6
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

D’arcy:

"i'm just giving people the option of the truth, and trying to GET some TRUTH out of James Iha.
He burned me VERY badly and i want to know
why he did it.
But apparently there is just no getting through to him.
He KNOWS he betrayed me-
- in the worst, ugliest, most inexcusable way that anyone
can have their loyalty and friendship betrayed:
for MONEY.
That's all i can figure it's about since he tossed our friendship out the window and won't say why.
When Billy's 'people' LIED about me, and lied about the whole situation, and THEN
they called ME a liar ???
(and ONLY because I publically said that I was not going to be on the "Reunion Tour of the Original Band Members")
I got a little bit pissed off.
Billy knows better.
They ALL know better.
Billy has said over the years REPEATEDLY AND PUBLICLY that he respects me because I walk my talk and believe me:
i do my damndest to do just that.
I have a conscience that gives no quarter and is totally and completely unforgiving of me, so if i'm not always doing my absolute best in every facet of my life, i simply can't live w/myself.
They all know this about me.
They all know that honesty is huge with me, and when James just sat back and went with it?
I couldn't believe it.
I have been GRIEVING over this for a very long time now.
When i say "grieving",
i mean i'm currently, actively going through the 7 stages of grief that people go through when someone they Love dies.
I thought that James and i would be very close friends till the day one of us died.
- for those of you who might not be from a country where English is the 1st language, we have a saying.
It's something you say to someone who looks absolutely miserable:
"What's the matter?
You look like you just lost your best friend."
Well, i did.
... at least i thought i did, but i guess he wasn't really my friend at all.
i guess that's the whole point.
it certainly doesn't make it hurt any less, in fact it hurts a whole lot more
now that i feel like i've been a made a fool of as well.

You have to understand that I am a FIERCELY loyal friend, and that I have saved James' ass LITERALLY (Yes; i have literally saved his LIFE time and again when he obliviously walked into the street in front of oncoming traffic REPEATEDLY in countries where people drive on the left side of the road; i have also had to pull him backstage by the scruff of his shirt-neck after he wandered out into the audience of arena floors we were playing because HE THOUGHT THAT HE WAS WALKING ONTO THE STAGE!!!!!
AND i've saved his butt financially in every lawsuit between us and Billy that ever was, and believe me-there were more than a few.

If anyone sees James iha and has the opportunity?
Slap him good and hard and tell him it's from me."

Old 06-20-2018, 12:15 PM   #7
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Howard Stern interview:

James, it had to be particuly hard for you. Because when the band broke up you were sort of allies. And D’arcy has even said "I don’t even understand how James is back in that band", right? She is critical of you for this decision.

Yeah, I mean, I..I wasn’t involved with (giggling) with their conversations. And I just wanted to be like..dealing with my own relationship with Billy.

But do you..do you feel hurt, when she criticizes you for going back into the band?

Ah..sure!

Nah… What you’re gonna do?

What you’re gonna do...

https://i.imgur.com/1JbbWYB.png

Old 06-20-2018, 12:20 PM   #8
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

@Buttcannon

Have you spoken with D'arcy lately?

Old 06-20-2018, 12:49 PM   #9
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

I doubt there’s millions. A sideman on a touring gig makes decent money while they’re playing gigs but not that much. The real money is in publishing.....and that’s all Corgan unless they do a co-write that happens to sell..like Taylor Swift numbers.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:52 PM   #10
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
I doubt there’s millions. A sideman on a touring gig makes decent money while they’re playing gigs but not that much. The real money is in publishing.....and that’s all Corgan unless they do a co-write that happens to sell..like Taylor Swift numbers.
Except he's not a sideman lol. He's the reason this shit is even happening. Without Iha it would be SP 2007 pt. 2.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #11
paranoid
Minion of Satan

reality-

he was most likely making more $$ with a perfect circle at this point.

he's ALWAYS, ALWAYS been apathetic in interviews.

too much speculation and projection here. it's obnoxious.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:03 PM   #12
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
reality-

he was most likely making more $$ with a perfect circle at this point.

he's ALWAYS, ALWAYS been apathetic in interviews.

too much speculation and projection here. it's obnoxious.
You're right, almost anything on a message board will be speculation, but we can make educated guesses.

I sincerely doubt he was making more money with A Perfect Circle than he would be with Smashing Pumpkins. I'm sure, with both bands, he's paid as a salaried musician, but as others have pointed out, James's presence means a lot more to this iteration of the band as he represents a direct link to the old Smashing Pumpkins, and is really the only difference from the 2015 lineup that toured with Manson. A Perfect Circle, on the other hand, has pretty much been a semi-revolving door of band members since it began.

Between his importance to Smashing Pumpkins, and Live Nation throwing tons of money behind a "reunion" tour, he will make more than he would have playing the upcoming tour with A Perfect Circle. Additionally, if Iha is truly in it for money 100% like people say he is, wouldn't he have stayed with A Perfect Circle - who he played with for the last fourteen years - than jump ship to Smashing Pumpkins?

I'm sure money remains the motivating factor for James, but he gets other perks as well. He gets to play in the studio, something he was not able to do on the last APC album. Furthermore, as apathetic and "James-ish" as he may seem, I'm sure he enjoys getting to play these songs again in front of fans who have wanted him back since 2007.

Bottom line for me, the dude has earned the right to play a cash grab tour. He sat around for the last eighteen years being nothing but kind while Billy Corgan talked shit about James, diminished his contributions, and generally squandered any goodwill the band may have built during its initial run. I'm sure it aggravates him that the tour became more about D'arcy's absence, but if he wants to play with a band he co-founded and earn some money for his family, who the hell cares. His presence has been the one bright spot in this band's dreary year.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:11 PM   #13
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Millions? How is he gonna make millions sharing the stage with 4 other people, 2 of them being Billy and Jimmy? Plus, how many concerts they have booked so far? 20? 30?

I'm pretty sure APC would be a way more profitable band than the pumpkins right now.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:22 PM   #14
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
@Buttcannon

Have you spoken with D'arcy lately?
Haven't since last month, will check in soon to see how she's doing.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #15
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post
Haven't since last month, will check in soon to see how she's doing.
Fantastic.

She hasn't posted anything on AN since:

https://i.imgur.com/YUhvsYm.png

I wonder if D'arcy has listened to Solara yet and what she thinks about James' comments (Stern interview).

P.S.:

It would be so awesome if she released some of her own music.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:09 PM   #16
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

james has to be one of the dullest people to ever become famous

Old 06-20-2018, 04:04 PM   #17
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Except he's not a sideman lol. He's the reason this shit is even happening. Without Iha it would be SP 2007 pt. 2.
Of course he’s a sideman.

Most frontman songwriters have a “keyman clause” in their record contracts, and maintain the legal equivalent of such an arrangement in all band affairs (such as a reunion tour.) A keyman clause renders the frontman as “the actual band” and the other members as hired guns even if the band is still presented as a democratic whole in the public eye. Google it if you’re interested. 99% of bands operate this way. It’s kinda fucked up really..

And we don’t have to speculate about whether Billy runs SP in this manner. He talked about the keyman clause in his 2011 Matt Pinfield interview.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:12 PM   #18
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
Of course he’s a sideman.

Most frontman songwriters have a “keyman clause” in their record contracts, and maintain the legal equivalent of such an arrangement in all band affairs (such as a reunion tour.) A keyman clause renders the frontman as “the actual band” and the other members as hired guns even if the band is still presented as a democratic whole in the public eye. Google it if you’re interested. 99% of bands operate this way. It’s kinda fucked up really..

And we don’t have to speculate about whether Billy runs SP in this manner. He talked about the keyman clause in his 2011 Matt Pinfield interview.
I've played in bands, I know how dynamics and pragmatic setups work. You're wrong tho. Some of D'arcys text-messages even implied a 25/25/25/25 split. Meaning an equal split between the original members. I'm sure Bates only gets 5-10 %, but you can bet your ass James split is equal to Jimmys, and probably even Corgans. Just because Corgan wrote the hits 25 years ago, doesn't mean James can't secure an equal cut in such a large reunion.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:13 PM   #19
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Doesn't matter if he's the keyman, this isn't 1996 and Corgan isn't a superstar. He's only a keyman in his own mind. Bet your ass Live Nation or whomever is arranging would never go for these types of shows were James not involved. It's only a reunion because James decided to partake, remember that.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #20
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Doesn't matter if he's the keyman, this isn't 1996 and Corgan isn't a superstar. He's only a keyman in his own mind. Bet your ass Live Nation or whomever is arranging would never go for these types of shows were James not involved. It's only a reunion because James decided to partake, remember that.
No one is making an argument against the point that “it’s only a renunion because James.” You’re making that argument, and making me defend it.

Corgan owns the Pumpkins and they do what he wants on his terms. That renders the other musicians employees of “SP, inc” so to speak. He literally could fire the whole band and hire new people tomorrow if he wanted to. I’m not saying there wouldn’t be backlash and headaches and drama. But it could be done. He’s been doing that every few years actually.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:22 PM   #21
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I've played in bands, I know how dynamics and pragmatic setups work. You're wrong tho. Some of D'arcys text-messages even implied a 25/25/25/25 split. Meaning an equal split between the original members. I'm sure Bates only gets 5-10 %, but you can bet your ass James split is equal to Jimmys, and probably even Corgans. Just because Corgan wrote the hits 25 years ago, doesn't mean James can't secure an equal cut in such a large reunion.
Okay. So that’s a cut of net profits. It’s not ownership, power, or control.

The fact that they are even negotiating cuts of net profits on a tour is proof in itself that the other musicians are essentially sideman. Who do you think controls the negotiation of those cuts? James? lol

Old 06-20-2018, 04:26 PM   #22
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

At any rate, to readdress the original point, I don’t think a 25% cut of net touring revenue (however they agree to tally that up) is gonna equate to millions of dollars.

I could be wrong. But I just don’t see it happening.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:31 PM   #23
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Also I apologize for being a little snappy. Nothing personal I just get that way on message boards. I respect where you’re coming from.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:32 PM   #24
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtSampson View Post
It’s amazing how that “therapy session” from Vieuphoria is so spot on and probably not at all a joke knowing what we know now about the band
This.

All of this.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #25
epinson
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Jack Bates (as most hired guns) probably just gets a flat salary per show, regardless of ticket sales, merchandise, etc. I also wouldn't be surprised if everyone in A Perfect Circle (with the exception of Maynard and Billy) were considered hired guns, as their studio/writing involvement is minimal (or in James's case, nonexistent).

Billy, James, Jimmy, and Jeff (to a much lesser extent, as he has much less pull in a reunion) probably get splits after expenses, you are right about that. And for a big tour, that would be more lucrative than simply touring wages from APC.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:46 PM   #26
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

johncg seems to understand how these type of "mega-bands" work. Even if Billy, James and Jimmy split their part of the proceeds equally, which I sincerely doubt, Billy still runs the show. As the key member, he has final say in obligating the band, what to release under the band name, and approval over major artistic decisions outside the music (promotional images, artwork, etc.).

Just as an example, if Jimmy/James had some major issue with playing a certain festival or appearing on a certain show, Billy could unilaterally still obligate "Smashing Pumpkins" to play that show. Of course, Jimmy and James could say "fuck it" and bolt, but they would have no bearing on making the final decision. D'arcy, James, and Jimmy could have all voiced their disapproval of Billy continuing on with the name Smashing Pumpkins (I don't think any of them actually did so publicly), but they could not prevent Billy from doing so. It all has to do with looking at a band as a legal entity rather than an organic one (they way we like to think of them in the abstract). Bands who are considered "key members" are partners in the business that is the band, and have all the rights that confers. That being said, even though Billy remains the "key member," I know the full band does get some say on certain issues per their contract. He mentioned (possibly in that Pinfield interview, but definitely some interview around that time) that the "original 4" still have to sign off on any reissues. Of course, they would have no motivation to block those as it would just be money in their pockets.

Who gets considered a "key member"/partner varies from band to band, but as johncg said, it will almost never be every member of the band (I cannot think of any band that does this). Some bands, like Smashing Pumpkins, have all the power in one member (I believe Bon Jovi is another famous band with one decision-maker). For other bands, it will be founding members or members who most actively contribute to songwriting (for instance Mick Jagger and Keith Richards in The Rolling Stones or James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich in Metallica).

Last edited by themadcaplaughs : 06-20-2018 at 04:54 PM.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:49 PM   #27
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by epinson View Post
Jack Bates (as most hired guns) probably just gets a flat salary per show, regardless of ticket sales, merchandise, etc. I also wouldn't be surprised if everyone in A Perfect Circle (with the exception of Maynard and Billy) were considered hired guns, as their studio/writing involvement is minimal (or in James's case, nonexistent).

Billy, James, Jimmy, and Jeff (to a much lesser extent, as he has much less pull in a reunion) probably get splits after expenses, you are right about that. And for a big tour, that would be more lucrative than simply touring wages from APC.
You could be right about Jeff, particularly since he's been in the band for so long and Billy seems to consider him an important part of Smashing Pumpkins. That being said, every indication seems to suggest Jeff would just be paid as a salaried musician. Some fans talked to him in 2007 after one of the residencies, and he said something to that effect. Also, in 2016, he did that Yamaha video were he admitted he had no idea where Billy was (he was travelling the country at that time) and hadn't spoken to Billy in months. Billy probably just calls him up as needed. All joking about Billy being an asshat aside, I would imagine that is what has allowed Jeff to manage as long as he has. The dude does not get any say in the band's business or opportunity to oppose Billy. He just shows up to the studio, rehearsals, and shows and can focus on music.

For A Perfect Circle, I would agree Billy Howerdel and Maynard are probably the only full-time members of the band. I believe Josh Freese was as well, he was technically in the band before Maynard, but he quit some time ago.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:01 PM   #28
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
johncg seems to understand how these type of "mega-bands" work. Even if Billy, James and Jimmy split their part of the proceeds equally, which I sincerely doubt, Billy still runs the show. As the key member, he has final say in obligating the band, what to release under the band name, and approval over major artistic decisions outside the music (promotional images, artwork, etc.).

Just as an example, if Jimmy/James had some major issue with playing a certain festival or appearing on a certain show, Billy could unilaterally still obligate "Smashing Pumpkins" to play that show. Of course, Jimmy and James could say "fuck it" and bolt, but they would have no bearing on making the final decision. D'arcy, James, and Jimmy could have all voiced their disapproval of Billy continuing on with the name Smashing Pumpkins (I don't think any of them actually did so publicly), but they could not prevent Billy from doing so. It all has to do with looking at a band as a legal entity rather than an organic one (they way we like to think of them in the abstract). Bands who are considered "key members" are partners in the business that is the band, and have all the rights that confers.

Who gets considered a "key member"/partner varies from band to band, but as johncg said, it will almost never be every member of the band (I cannot think of any band that does this). Some bands, like Smashing Pumpkins, have all the power in one member (I believe Bon Jovi is another famous band with one decision-maker). For other bands, it will be founding members or members who most actively contribute to songwriting (for instance Mick Jagger and Keith Richards in The Rolling Stones or James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich in Metallica).
Right. And in addition to “legal” jurisdiction over band affairs, Billy has more money than James and Jimmy (this literally cannot debated given mechanical royalties alone,) and publicly has incredible leverage over how the other members are perceived (it’s no joke what D’Arcy said about Billy making it impossible for her to work post-SP.)

Even if most of us know he’s an asshole, he still has tremendously more fame and notoriety and can instantly ruin the other band members’ reputations in ways that will make their lives much harder for years to come just by talking to a media outlet (and I guarantee all the current members have signed away their ability to talk about the band outside of Billy’s direction) or some
industry insiders. His past behavior (see Devi Ever) shows us that he not afraid to wield this power with an iron first. He literally could drum up a totally fabricated lawsuit (like, say, sexual harassment against Jimmy) and have Jimmy at his mercy because he wouldn’t be able to pay as much to defend himself and Billy could spend to prosecute him.

So when you add in those factors...even IF Billy entered into a contractual agreement for this tour that elevates the other members to equal legal status with respect to “SP inc,” he still has enormous leverage over them, and they are all still his bitches to the extent that he chooses to crack the whip.

And if there’s anything Billy is known for, it’s cracking that fucking whip.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:01 PM   #29
epinson
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
You could be right about Jeff, particularly since he's been in the band for so long and Billy seems to consider him an important part of Smashing Pumpkins. That being said, every indication seems to suggest Jeff would just be paid as a salaried musician. Some fans talked to him in 2007 after one of the residencies, and he said something to that effect. Also, in 2016, he did that Yamaha video were he admitted he had no idea where Billy was (he was travelling the country at that time) and hadn't spoken to Billy in months. Billy probably just calls him up as needed. All joking about Billy being an asshat aside, I would imagine that is what has allowed Jeff to manage as long as he has. The dude does not get any say in the band's business or opportunity to oppose Billy. He just shows up to the studio, rehearsals, and shows and can focus on music.

For A Perfect Circle, I would agree Billy Howerdel and Maynard are probably the only full-time members of the band. I believe Josh Freese was as well, he was technically in the band before Maynard, but he quit some time ago.
The main reason I am guessing that Jeff gets some sort of split (although probably much smaller) is that he takes part in the photoshoots and his name is listed in the ads and posters, while Jack's isn't, although that could just be some arrangement to make some people think he's an original member. Cue the "Kenny Aronoff in the Perfect Video" debates.

It's all speculation though, he definitely seemed more of a hired gun in the Zeitgeist days.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:36 PM   #30
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
No text messages say that, that's what she told AN. We can say it's true.