Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #31
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIsNoWhy4U View Post
No, I've just listened to a lot of music. I can distinguish a lot of different genres.
i think the general argument is that excessive genreization is actually pointless

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 01-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #32
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God
 
HereIsNoWhy4U's Avatar
 
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
i think the general argument is that excessive genreization is actually pointless
If I know music genres right, then I should be allowed and entitled to my opinion. Mellon Collie traverses more sub-genres within rock than any other album, and that is saying a lot. Not all the songs on this album fit into the mere category of 'alternative rock' as some would argue. Alternative is a broad bridge, but Mellon Collie is broader within the aspect of only being one album.

 
HereIsNoWhy4U is offline
Old 01-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #33
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

i could make up a bunch of sub-genres and apply it to any record i wished to make a counterargument, hence why everyone is laughing at you

you're not entitled to people respecting your opinion just because you thought it

besides every time you say that i think white album white album white album but i'm sure that doesn't have post-anti-hardcore funk rock on it

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 01-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #34
HereIsNoWhy4U
Demi-God
 
HereIsNoWhy4U's Avatar
 
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
i could make up a bunch of sub-genres and apply it to any record i wished to make a counterargument, hence why everyone is laughing at you

you're not entitled to people respecting your opinion just because you thought it

besides every time you say that i think white album white album white album but i'm sure that doesn't have post-anti-hardcore funk rock on it
Everyone here laughs at me because they are Netphorians, and their intelligence is as uncertain as the second coming of Christ. And the White Album fucking sucks.

 
HereIsNoWhy4U is offline
Old 01-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #35
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

okay guy you're a real music critic then

demonstrating your appreciation for music you are

white album sucks

how countercultural

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 01-09-2014, 01:48 PM   #36
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

how controversial i mean

doesnt' have post grungecore on it so i guess you're right

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 01-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #37
slunken
Virgo
 
slunken's Avatar
 
Posts: 39,246
Default

I'm going to have to agree with HereIsNoWhy's sentiment. Shallowed is a fucking idiot and was just trying to start a pedantic argument because he thinks that is what nethporia is.

But back to the sentiment - No, I can't personally think of another album that covers such a broad range of musical "styles" under one roof.

 
slunken is offline
Old 01-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #38
Shallowed
Braindead
 
Shallowed's Avatar
 
Location: A compostable condom made from 100% recycled materials
Posts: 17,041
Default

You should hit up fuzzyrose and jam together.

 
Shallowed is offline
Old 01-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #39
T&T
Socialphobic
 
T&T's Avatar
 
Location: montreal
Posts: 10,039
Default

so jimmy is not coming back and it's because of HereIsNoWhy4U?

 
T&T is offline
Old 01-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #40
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: WILD BOY
Posts: 30,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
Just noticed that Hendrix's Electric Ladyland isn't on there. Weird omission from a readership that worships the classic 60s rock genre.
probably because anyone who has purchased the album in the last 30 years has the single disc CD version

 
redbreegull is offline
Old 01-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #41
T&T
Socialphobic
 
T&T's Avatar
 
Location: montreal
Posts: 10,039
Default

is MCIS really even a double album?
when I bought it, it came with 5 disks.
and the LP is known to be 3 or 4 vinyls.

there was a thread on netphoria where fans made their own 1 disk MCIS,
so is it really a double album?

can HereIsNoWhy4U chime in as an expert!!?

 
T&T is offline
Old 01-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #42
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 1,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
probably because anyone who has purchased the album in the last 30 years has the single disc CD version
So is Blonde on Blonde and that's on the list. I have Exile On Main Street on one disc too.

 
Araneae is offline
Old 01-09-2014, 07:59 PM   #43
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: WILD BOY
Posts: 30,916
Default

Hereisnowhy4u, surely you realize that there is no objective genre classification and that all the lines you are drawing are arbitrary, right?

 
redbreegull is offline
Old 01-09-2014, 08:09 PM   #44
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: WILD BOY
Posts: 30,916
Default

I mean like "metal" is a classification having to do with the sonic and topical properties of music, but alternative is not a sound. Nothing can "sound" alternative, it's just a huge umbrella label for underground and then later mainstream rock music in the 80s and 90s. So you aren't even being consistent with what sorts of lenses you are applying. It sounds ridiculous.

 
redbreegull is offline
Old 01-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #45
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
musician
i forgot i was talking to this guy



jazz-funk

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 01-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #46
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
I'm going to have to agree with HereIsNoWhy's sentiment. Shallowed is a fucking idiot and was just trying to start a pedantic argument because he thinks that is what nethporia is.

But back to the sentiment - No, I can't personally think of another album that covers such a broad range of musical "styles" under one roof.
i'm not even going to go there to be honest and i'm not trying to deny that MCIS is incredibly diverse but!

the electric lady is all over the place and that was just released a few months ago.

doing that kind of thing is daring and audacious and it doesn't happen much but it certainly does happen

good call on shallowed his arguments are always the dumbest semantics

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 01-09-2014, 08:17 PM   #47
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

i mean generally i just have a problem with defining genres too closely to the point where there's multiple subgenres of things that are already subgenres

grouping stuff is necessary but music shouldn't be cataloged like living creatures

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 01-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #48
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: WILD BOY
Posts: 30,916
Default

honestly mellon collie is really diverse sounding because of Corgan's master adeptness at the loud/soft dynamic but I don't think it covers an unusually wide range of genres. I guess if you are going to invent a thousand sub-genres to prove your own point?

a song like tonight tonight can't even really be classified alongside anything else IMO. orchestral rock is not really a thing (or maybe it is, we should ask the genre professor). Then there are some hard rock songs not too far removed from the style cut on SD (Jellybelly, Here is no Why, Muzzle, Ruby), and some thrashy metal type numbers (cyber punk is what corgan called it) like zero, toase, bodies, love. then you have the soft songs, which are pretty indicative of corgan's gentler offerings from all across his career, including some weird shit like cupid de locke. Certainly a lot of sonic diversity

 
redbreegull is offline
Old 01-09-2014, 09:02 PM   #49
slunken
Virgo
 
slunken's Avatar
 
Posts: 39,246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
honestly mellon collie is really diverse sounding because of Corgan's master adeptness at the loud/soft dynamic but I don't think it covers an unusually wide range of genres. I guess if you are going to invent a thousand sub-genres to prove your own point?

a song like tonight tonight can't even really be classified alongside anything else IMO. orchestral rock is not really a thing (or maybe it is, we should ask the genre professor). Then there are some hard rock songs not too far removed from the style cut on SD (Jellybelly, Here is no Why, Muzzle, Ruby), and some thrashy metal type numbers (cyber punk is what corgan called it) like zero, toase, bodies, love. then you have the soft songs, which are pretty indicative of corgan's gentler offerings from all across his career, including some weird shit like cupid de locke. Certainly a lot of sonic diversity
The point isn't to correlate MCIS with Billy's other work but MCIS within itself.

I would prefer to use the word "styles" over the word "genres", and there's a wide range of styles happening. More so than any other album I can think of but admittedly I'm not trying very hard.

 
slunken is offline
Old 01-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #50
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: WILD BOY
Posts: 30,916
Default

I really think what you are trying to articulate has a lot more to do with the power of Corgan's songwriting and the striking individuality of each track a lot more so than covering a large number of styles or genres or anything. the soft songs are soft and the heavy ones are heavy, each one stands clearly apart from its bookends, but with much of the Pumpkins music I find it difficult to apply genre labels to a lot of it. The band had an absolutely superior approach to dissecting its influences and then putting them back together in unexpected and often not immediately recognizable ways.

buuuut it's all still very SP. The White album probably covers more styles and does so intentionally out of novelty. you have songs that are consciously bluesy, rockabilly, tin pin alley, folksy, psychedelic noise, plus a lot of totally weird shit. I don't see MCIS as trying to do this. I think its vision is more just to take the sound the Pumpkins had cultivated (fairly original sounding already) and then press all those different sides into the far corners of the room so to speak.

 
redbreegull is offline
Old 01-09-2014, 09:32 PM   #51
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,643
Default

the white album sucks man, totally overrated. beatles are boring. i'm a musician.

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 01-09-2014, 10:25 PM   #52
starlightvideoproductions
Ownz
 
starlightvideoproductions's Avatar
 
Location: Honk Honk, Bitch!!
Posts: 930
Default

I was gonna say "You don't know what your talking about!" but you are a musician apparently, so you must be 100% right

 
starlightvideoproductions is offline
Old 01-10-2014, 02:38 AM   #53
T&T
Socialphobic
 
T&T's Avatar
 
Location: montreal
Posts: 10,039
Default

musicians know music. that's how they be musicians and stuff. there's like degrees given to these people too.

 
T&T is offline
Old 01-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #54
qlitchford
Pledge
 
qlitchford's Avatar
 
Posts: 176
Default

Found this on Digg the other day:

100 Years of Rock Visualized

http://www.concerthotels.com/100-years-of-rock

My wife and I had a fun time playing the samples for each other and trying to guess the artist and genre.

Last edited by qlitchford : 01-10-2014 at 10:35 AM.

 
qlitchford is offline
Old 01-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #55
Ram27
Minion of Satan
 
Ram27's Avatar
 
Location: Iha: All right! I can't fucking hear you! (laughs) I'm just kidding. Stop your enthusiasm.
Posts: 6,874
Default

I categorize all my Pumpkins stuff as Rock in iTunes because it doesn't fucking matter.

 
Ram27 is offline
Old 01-10-2014, 10:36 AM   #56
qlitchford
Pledge
 
qlitchford's Avatar
 
Posts: 176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
I categorize all my Pumpkins stuff as Rock in iTunes because it doesn't fucking matter.
Same here. I don't tend to do playlists at all, much less categorized as genre. Sometimes it is nice to find the genre for songs/artists you like to track down similar music.

 
qlitchford is offline
Old 01-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #57
T&T
Socialphobic
 
T&T's Avatar
 
Location: montreal
Posts: 10,039
Default

I have so much SP in my catalog, I just gave then their own genre. i only bother giving appropriate genres to music I'm not familiar with.

 
T&T is offline
Old 01-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #58
slunken
Virgo
 
slunken's Avatar
 
Posts: 39,246
Default

I've never bothered with genre tags in iTunes

 
slunken is offline
Old 01-10-2014, 05:20 PM   #59
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: WILD BOY
Posts: 30,916
Default

I was really into genre categorization when I was in high school but now I'm not

 
redbreegull is offline
Old 01-10-2014, 06:09 PM   #60
Order 66
Socialphobic
 
Order 66's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,885
Default

i live the chillwave lifestyle

 
Order 66 is offline
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1979 doesn't belong on Mellon Collie. Candy Cane Pumpkins Archive 69 09-10-2012 01:09 PM
Billy's imploding voice slippedonshoe Pumpkins Archive 8 06-20-2012 01:22 AM
COUNTERCULTURE MAINSTREAM Jesus Cambodia Pumpkins Archive 5 01-17-2009 09:24 AM
"something is being created which millions of people are holding their breath over" davin Pumpkins Archive 18 10-30-2006 07:43 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:03 PM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2019