Old 08-14-2018, 01:23 AM   #6
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post

Old 08-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #7
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I heard something about her playing Batwoman, but even though I love Batwoman, I can't bring myself to give a shit about those CW superhero shows.

If people are saying she's not "gay enough" to play a gay character, though, that is a ridiculous sentiment. I don't remember anybody making the same argument about Sean Penn playing Harvey Milk, or Heath Ledger playing a gay cowboy. And they are, as far as I understand, less gay than this actor. Might as well say Daniel Radcliffe shouldn't have played Harry Potter because he wasn't really a wizard. Jesus Christ, people are dumb.

But that said, nobody should give a shit about Arrow in the first place, and everyone here should just go out and buy Greg Rucka and JH Williams III's run on Batwoman. The first Detective Comics arc is collected in the trade Batwoman: Elegy (the trade has a forward by Rachel Maddow, if you care about that, but I don't care about that, so). The stuff when Williams takes over as writer after Rucka's departure isn't as good, but it's fine. Skip all the shit by that subsequent writer that has to do with her getting raped by a vampire or some shit, it's dumb. Also, even though she's a supporting character in the current Detective Comics run, don't bother with that, either, because Tynion IV is a boring AF writer and I have no idea why he's DC's current superstar writer.

But seriously, the Rucka/Williams Detective Comics run featuring Batwoman is one of my favourite superhero comics, and has amazing art and layouts. It comes off the heels of 52, but you don't have to read all that go enjoy this book. Just fucking read it. I implore you.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:41 AM   #8
LaBelle
Socialphobic

The problem with straight people playing queer characters is that it leads to stereotyping and misrepresentation. As good as the actor may be it will always be a portrayal from the perspective of a straight person instead of their own experiences and that to me almost always feels unauthentic and forced (*cough* blue is the warmest *cough*). Not to mention plenty of queer actors who often get denied straight roles for being gay and then getting their roles taken away from them by straight people.

All that said, i'm not sure what happened to Ruby Rose. She closed her twitter because of harassment recently, but I like her and am looking forward to that show.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:44 AM   #9
LaBelle
Socialphobic

there's a serious lack of k-stew itt

#Ialwaysknew

Old 08-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #10
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

isn't acting fundamentally inauthentic? i mean, it's acting.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:02 AM   #11
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

fair point!

Old 08-14-2018, 10:05 AM   #12
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Yeah of course, let's cast straight cis white males in every role, why have women and people of color in movies even.

I mean it's just acting...

Old 08-14-2018, 10:14 AM   #13
artvase
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
The problem with straight people playing queer characters is that it leads to stereotyping and misrepresentation. As good as the actor may be it will always be a portrayal from the perspective of a straight person instead of their own experiences and that to me almost always feels unauthentic and forced (*cough* blue is the warmest *cough*). Not to mention plenty of queer actors who often get denied straight roles for being gay and then getting their roles taken away from them by straight people.

All that said, i'm not sure what happened to Ruby Rose. She closed her twitter because of harassment recently, but I like her and am looking forward to that show.
Well, by your own logic gay actors shouldn't be allowed to play straight people because it would come from the perspective of a gay person and that would be inauthentic and forced. Or for that matter, no one should play a serial killer unless they've killed a bunch of people, or no one should play a parent without having kids, etc.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #14
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvase View Post
Well, by your own logic gay actors shouldn't be allowed to play straight people because it would come from the perspective of a gay person and that would be inauthentic and forced. Or for that matter, no one should play a serial killer unless they've killed a bunch of people, or no one should play a parent without having kids, etc.
reductio ad absurdum

Old 08-14-2018, 10:34 AM   #15
LaBelle
Socialphobic

How fucking hard can it be to get.

If a character's sexuality plays a major part to that character's story it will always be preferable to cast an actor who shares the character's identity regardless of what it may be.

Last edited by LaBelle : 08-14-2018 at 10:41 AM.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:43 AM   #16
artvase
Pledge

Quote:

If 👏 a 👏character's 👏 sexuality 👏 plays 👏 a 👏 major 👏 part 👏 to 👏 that 👏character's 👏 story 👏 it 👏 will 👏 always 👏 be 👏 preferable 👏 to 👏 cast 👏 an �� actor 👏 who 👏 shares 👏 the 👏 character's 👏 identity 👏 regardless 👏 of 👏 what 👏 it 👏 may 👏 be.
key word, "preferable." It's also preferable for directors' and producers' to cast people who they think will play the part best overall regardless of sexual orientation. It's preferable to hire who they think gave the best audition. It's preferable to hire who they think will attract the largest audience. It's preferable to run a successful business, because that's what Hollywood is.

Struggling actors in Hollywood get denied parts every single day because they're too fat, too skinny, too pretty, too ugly, they have bad posture, they're posture is too good, they're not black enough, they're not white enough, they're not what casting has in mind. Actors in classes are told day after day to quit waiting on Hollywood to give them a shot, to write their own material, and to create their own future.

Film schools and festivals alike LOVE material made with a social cause as the focal point. People who have something important to say - anything to say - need to step up and make their own future instead of waiting around for the people who don't give a shit about them to give them a chance.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #17
FoolofaTook

nah labelle is right

i should have kept quiet

Old 08-14-2018, 11:14 AM   #18
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i will not stand for shitting on "Blue is the Warmest Colour" tho

Old 08-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #19
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

LaBelle is right, and the best lesbian film is Harold.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:31 AM   #20
ilikeplanets
Braindead

<3 Kate Moennig

<3 Tegan and Sara

Old 08-14-2018, 11:36 AM   #21
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

No Cara Delevingne pics? What are you people even doiinnngggg.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:51 AM   #22
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
Not exactly me, but this really speaks to my inner genderqueer self. In my case, it isn't so much about wanting to be a woman as it is about not wanting to be a man. And rather than feeling that gender is something essential about who I am, I feel that it is about the complex web of relationships that position me in a certain way in society - and whatever being a "man" means, it has placed me in a fundamentally uncomfortable place that has never agreed with what I consciously or unconsciously wanted in life. I don't mean this in a theoretical "yes, of course I'm woke and believe in feminism, equality, etc" way - it has meant a complete sense of alienation when faced with the idea of growing up to be a man. It has meant avoiding the milestones and rites of passage a teenage boy was supposed to go through. It has meant forming emotional bonds with women that are diametrically opposed to traditional cishet romantic/sexual relationships. It has meant a sense of displacement that is really very hard to convey to anyone who hasn't experienced it themselves.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:14 PM   #23
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rairun View Post
Not exactly me, but this really speaks to my inner genderqueer self. In my case, it isn't so much about wanting to be a woman as it is about not wanting to be a man. And rather than feeling that gender is something essential about who I am, I feel that it is about the complex web of relationships that position me in a certain way in society - and whatever being a "man" means, it has placed me in a fundamentally uncomfortable place that has never agreed with what I consciously or unconsciously wanted in life. I don't mean this in a theoretical "yes, of course I'm woke and believe in feminism, equality, etc" way - it has meant a complete sense of alienation when faced with the idea of growing up to be a man. It has meant avoiding the milestones and rites of passage a teenage boy was supposed to go through. It has meant forming emotional bonds with women that are diametrically opposed to traditional cishet romantic/sexual relationships. It has meant a sense of displacement that is really very hard to convey to anyone who hasn't experienced it themselves.
Please post more.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:41 PM   #24
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rairun View Post
I vibe with this 100%.
Growing up it always felt I didn't quite belong in any group in school. Because of that I was bullied quite a bit by both boys and girls and got regularly called a "sapatão" as early as 3rd grade way before even I knew what it even meant really.
That led me to reject and try to hide that part of myself for the longest time and I struggled a whole lot trying to fit what I thought other people's expectations of me based on my gender were.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:52 PM   #25
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Lena Waithe! <3

Old 08-14-2018, 12:54 PM   #26
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:

If a character's sexuality plays a major part to that character's story it will always be preferable to cast an actor who shares the character's identity regardless of what it may be.

with regard to casting, the idea seems very detached from reality to me.

actors or any other employee have personal rights, an employer is not allowed to make the information about sexual orientation mandatory (just as you have no right to force someone to provide details on their religion), as you know.

in other words, what you propose would require film studios or casting agencies to abandon all personal rights and add a line with "sexual orientation" to the casting card which everyone has to fill out.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #27
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
with regard to casting, the idea seems very detached from reality to me.

actors or any other employee have personal rights, an employer is not allowed to make the information about sexual orientation mandatory (just as you have no right to force someone to provide details on their religion), as you know.

in other words, what you propose would require film studios or casting agencies to abandon all personal rights and add a line with "sexual orientation" to the casting card which everyone has to fill out.
Sure, it is detached from reality because most actors still have to hide their sexuality as to not unload a full clip into the face of their career future, as it stands.

But idk, lots of roles got cast with the sexuality of the actor in mind, were those breaches of people's rights?

Old 08-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #28
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

nvm

Last edited by pavementtune : 08-14-2018 at 01:31 PM. Reason: nvm

Old 08-14-2018, 01:30 PM   #29
FoolofaTook

pubic sexual orientation lol

Old 08-14-2018, 01:31 PM   #30
FoolofaTook

sry i know thats neither here nor there