Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #31
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Train simulators seem a little stupid....or aspergersy anyway, but i played X-Plane 9 for a while a few years back which is a flight simulator with the map of the ENTIRE EARTH to scale (yeah so the graphics were lacking but what do you expect, that being said xplane 10 looks great but can barely be run on modern machines) and there was just something terribly soothing in just flying from one place to another. I'd made an itinerary from Montreal to Honolulu (crossing southwest bound into the states) in a civilian propeller plane, stopping for fuel every two to three hours of realtime flying. Obviously i didnt play the whole like twelve hours in one sitting but yeah, it was a nice stress relief. Well except when it came time to land...

Old 10-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #32
slunken
Virgo

i didn't realize these were games. i thought some people just really loved trains and rail lines so they made simulations

Old 10-09-2014, 06:37 PM   #33
slunken
Virgo

i was looking through my playlists because i remember having some great ones saved that looked like they were made in 1995 with lots of long static shots with the train barely chugging along but they seem to be gone

Old 10-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #34
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Railroad tycoon 2 is the shiiiiiiiit btw

Old 10-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #35
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
i didn't realize these were games. i thought some people just really loved trains and rail lines so they made simulations
There's all kind of simulators out there. City bus simulators, street cleaner simulator (this one was kinda infamous upon release). The thing with trains is...they can only go this or that way....so i question how interesting it would be. I guess you need to check your speed and stuff but thats it.

i've had in mind many times to try a game called euro truck simulator 2 though. Yeah....you're driving trucks....hauling cargo...that's it. Well and you can like build up your business and hire other drivers, buy new better trucks. I always thought in real life theres a lot of shit jobs, but you can make all of them interesting in a game. Well...most of them (see the passport checking game...whats it called again? i forget just now)...also it depends how you approach the subject.

That being said being a truck driver seems like it would be a nice job for real...for like a week. Until you realise you have to be on speed and drive like 24 hours through if you hope to keep your job or make a good living...then it sounds like hell. But in theory it should be alright if they weren't overworked.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #36
Trotskilicious
Banned

Those games make me laugh

But then again ive played 500 hour of footy manager

Old 10-09-2014, 08:25 PM   #37
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Yeah i tried a hunting game once and realised i couldnt get myself to kill a helpless animal even in a game.

I was talking about it with someonw recently, i played Risen 3 and killing helpless non threatening animals gives you "glory" points which is what they call xp. First of all its fucked, there's nothing glorious about that, but of course you're like well i want the xp.... but i couldn't get myself to do it. It made me feel awful to kill a helpless turtle or monkey. I wondered if it meant i was insane or very sane. I mean it means nothing. Its just bits and pixels.

I hated that part of Far Cry 3 too because in that game hunting allowed you to get upgrades for your equipment. So it really sorta forced or strongly encouraged you to hunt. I feel if it was for food and survival that would be alright, but to make your grenades bag bigger? Lame. I hope hunting doesnt return in Far Cry 4.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #38
Trotskilicious
Banned

I loved the hunting on red dead redemption

Old 10-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #39
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
I loved the hunting on red dead redemption
This was like the game i been waiting for all my life (i'm pretty huge on westerns) and then that never got a pc release. I still hate rockstar for this (Even if im a hypocrite cause id have got a pirated version on pc......but you know....). So i never played it and most likely never will though i considered getting a used 360 just to play this and then resell it, the prices will only keep going down anyway.