Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2015, 10:32 AM   #61
dodoz
Demi-God

It does sound like a cover band. Billy has to know they totally suck.

It's funny how some people on social network went "oh, but the sound is bad", as if it was a huge criterion . Uh, there are old shows that sound like shit, recorded with a walkman or whatever, that i listen with more pleasure than this (and it's far from being unlistenable). This performance is poor, lackluster, no matter what the sound quality is.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:54 PM   #62
James
Demi-God

This live incarnation is unlikable and embarrassing. The exact opposite of what I would call inspired performances. I feel bad for Corgan because I know he is better than this. Just cashing the checks.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:37 PM   #63
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy's voice sounds weak as shit.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:19 PM   #64
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

The tempo of Wilk's drumming on that performance of 1979 was all over the place. I've never actually seen any previous SP drummer play that beat with the hi-hat syncopation...it's always straight 8th notes or whatever.

He created his own brand of sugar-free lemonade though, so I'll let it slide.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:45 PM   #65
Ram27
dumb

Agreed

I...does he not get why Jimmy is so good? It's almost not fair to expect anyone else to pull of a worthy version of United States/Cherub Rock/Tonight/etc to the level of being a professional musician as a member of the mighty SP. But I suppose that doesn't mean much anymore does it

Today is a really simple straightforward rock song...it's even on Guitar Hero. And it's a hit. Why not play that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dade View Post
you would think BC would stick to a setlist that didn't have many signature 'jimmy moments'
Today, 1979, Love, Lily, all of Adore, Oceania, MTAE, Rocket, Disarm, Mayonaise, Luna, Sweet Sweet, Soma (maybe), Daydream, Obscured, Soothe, Blew Away, Plume, Pennies would be cool live, Meladori Magpie, Zero probably, 33, Beautiful, With Every Light has a cool beat but it's not rocket science...

Lots of good stuff in there

Old 03-16-2015, 08:52 PM   #66
Ram27
dumb

Is Billy honestly believing that that lineup is playing worthy renditions of those songs?

I almost hope he's just trying to get paid

Old 03-17-2015, 07:48 AM   #67
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIsNoWhy4U View Post
That "United States" sounds like a high-school band version of the original song.

...now check out this version...yeah >>>

Old 03-17-2015, 11:03 AM   #68
dodoz
Demi-God

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lzup9rxLAI&t=1m53s

Old 03-17-2015, 05:29 PM   #69
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

united states sounds terrible. why the fuck would they play a song like that with a dude who uses a two tom kit? the essential thing about the original is the tremendous amount of drum sounds

Old 03-17-2015, 05:54 PM   #70
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

That United States is a complete and utter disgrace on the drums.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:40 PM   #71
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
united states sounds terrible. why the fuck would they play a song like that with a dude who uses a two tom kit? the essential thing about the original is the tremendous amount of drum sounds
I don't know why both him and Mikey B are using a one rack tom//two floor tom setup

You can never really get all the way over to the right that frequently in order to make that other drum really useful. I get that it allows better ride placement but there's less options for most fills and when you have 1/2 or 1/3 of JC's toms, it's not going to be a great rendition of US or Silverfuck or Set the Ray or whatever

Old 03-17-2015, 07:58 PM   #72
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

no comment on the performance, the recording is too shitty. but it's hilarious to hear an entire audience clapping along to and singing "it's you that i adore, you will always be my whore"

Old 03-18-2015, 12:32 AM   #73
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I think what it is with Brad Wilk is that he's such an "in the pocket" drummer that it sounds strange with SP's music. He keeps really steady time and never wavers from the meter, whereas Jimmy would push the beat more and would vary the tempo more as he sped up on certain parts.

I thought the performance of 'United States' was actually one of the stronger ones there. Wilk did a decent job and sounded great on the latter part of the song when they went into the metal jam.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:07 AM   #74
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
...now check out this version...yeah >>>

GOD what an incredible performance
especially Jimmy. definitely one of the all time greatest drummers

Old 03-18-2015, 03:12 AM   #75
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

what's amazing to me with Jimmy is that even though i KNOW what a monster of a drummer he is, he keeps surprising me occasionally. like, now i watched this United States video, and they played the ending like 5 times faster, and he did that blast beat thing so effortlessly.
and when i heard it on the record i thought 'wow i didn't know he could do that'!
you hear him going crazy on those records and then you see him not miss a single beat when he does it 10 times faster, it's just crazy

Old 03-18-2015, 07:29 AM   #76
Ram27
dumb

It's crazy when they play Cherub Rock fast and he just nails that outro without ever going a shit

Or the fast singles in the middle of Quiet when they speed that up live

I wish Chrysanthemum was recorded and popularized because that is an incredible drum track he wrote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfaeOnSHq2c

Check out dat fill at 3:13

Old 03-18-2015, 09:26 AM   #77
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
Even Ginger is rocking the bass hard. She sounds like MADM here.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:47 AM   #78
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
This performance is also pretty awesome (same show) >>>

Old 03-22-2015, 08:42 AM   #79
fuzzyroes
Banned

Default The new Pumpkins line-up sucks

I was just watching this concert the other day... totally lifeless and flat. Wilk really doesn't sound good here and Billy desperately needs someone to sing back-ups to harmonize with him. A keyboard player like Lisa Harrington that would play keys and sing would be a godsend to this line-up.

Also this set-list is super mellow and lame too.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:44 AM   #80
fuzzyroes
Banned

I was listening to a 1979 bootleg with Wilk a week or so ago that sounded awesome and I was definitely encouraged...

But he just blows when it's the more up-tempo stuff... And I sorta get the feeling Billy's purposely sticking with the mellow, simple songs because of that.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:13 AM   #81
Shallowed
Braindead

you suck more

Old 03-22-2015, 10:16 AM   #82
Ram27
dumb

They can't even do mellow right

Old 03-23-2015, 04:03 AM   #83
thedeadofnight
Ownz

God, that version of Cherub Rock was absolutely awful. That first verse, how laggy does the tempo get? It's embarrassing to listen to. The groove is completely missing from the whole song.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:33 AM   #84
Ram27
dumb

tbh the groove has been missing since the SD tour

Performances get worse the the further away it is from the original release

Even with the original lineup

But yeah the groove is quadruple gone here

Old 03-24-2015, 03:44 AM   #85
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dade View Post
i've always thought wilk was a good solid drummer, but the more recent performances i see of particular songs the more i think tommy lee would have likely made for a better lineup.. wilk just seems like he's struggling on songs like united states, tonight, and yes even 1979 for some strange reason.. heavy metal machine is just a complete embarrassment, you would think BC would stick to a setlist that didn't have many signature 'jimmy moments', because he can hang pretty well with the new songs and a handful of others..
Tommy Lee would have been much better. He plays with an energy and enthusiasm... Listening to Wilk just sounds so subdued and flat. They're these energetic songs and he's just lightly using the ride, slow and steady without any character.

Byrne sucked cause he was way too sloppy and all over the place, Wilk sucks because he's just too plain jane and it doesn't work with SP at all. They're like the 2 opposite ends of the spectrum in a terrible way.

I definitely expected a lot better outta Wilk.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:49 AM   #86
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeadofnight View Post
God, that version of Cherub Rock was absolutely awful. That first verse, how laggy does the tempo get? It's embarrassing to listen to. The groove is completely missing from the whole song.
It's bad... And it's like that for the whole concert. What's worse is that the set list is terrible because it seems like Billy's just picking songs that he feels Wilk will have an easy time with and then you just end up with the stereotypical snoozers.

I realize that festival crowds still wanna hear the songs like Tonight tonight, Disarm, 1979, stand inside your love which is fine... But when you put those songs all together in the heart of the setlist surrounded by stripped down monuments songs it makes for a lousy experience.

What's even more odd is that from my understanding, Jimmy left the band because he didn't wanna put up with the busy schedule of the band and that he wanted to spend time with his families... BUT... if Billy was just doing the odd festival and club gigs like he is with this lineup I actually think Jimmy would have been down to participate.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:37 AM   #87
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

can't tell if the backlash against wilk & co. pumpkins is just a fuzzy thing at this point or a more widespread phenomenon, i remember the reaction being really positive when they were just starting up

listening to the chile thing now, still more preferrable than the "oceania crew"
my thoughts on this era still stand

yeah it'd be great if jimmy came back around, even just for a show or two, but right now there is a very "billy + session musicians" feel which is honestly probably how he's actually wanted things for a long time now

Old 03-24-2015, 07:00 AM   #88
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
i remember the reaction being really positive when they were just starting up
yep, mainly from folks who were actually at a gig or at least bothered to listen to one of the good shows of this line-up on LMA.
this however is the "we found the average-to-shitty gigs on youtube and now declare the entire line-up to be worse than the prior ones" thread. that's a widespread phenomenon...

I have yet to hear that they sucked from a single person who saw this line-up live, compared to bambam and Nicole oceanianing.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #89
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
What's even more odd is that from my understanding, Jimmy left the band because he didn't wanna put up with the busy schedule of the band and that he wanted to spend time with his families... BUT... if Billy was just doing the odd festival and club gigs like he is with this lineup I actually think Jimmy would have been down to participate.
I think a significant aspect of JC leaving was that he was done with the way Billy was treating fans, selling out, and overall mismanaging the SP b(r)and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
I can no longer commit all of my energy into something that I don't fully possess. I won't pretend I'm into something I'm not. I won't do it to myself, you the fan, or my former partner. I can't just, 'Cash the check' so to speak.
And/or he was just burnt out from playing so much rock stuff and wanted to settle down

__

I really hope if JC ever comes back, he records an album and they primarily play that live. Or they don't tour at all. Going around playing Cherub Rock and Tonight overly legitimatizes SP5.0

Old 03-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #90
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
And/or he was just burnt out from playing so much rock stuff and wanted to settle down
>>>

Quote:
“I’ve got an identity behind the drum set, for better or for worse.
I certainly think that what I play all starts to sound the same.”

“This is a genuine concern of yours?

“Absolutely. I mean, of course it’s important to have your
own identity as a musician, but I think you can wear it out.”

“So did you wear it out?”

“I think it wore me out. When Billy [Corgan] and I got
back together as The Smashing Pumpkins to do Zeitgeist in
2007, it’d been seven years since our last record. During that
time I’d done lots of other things, including my own record
as the The Jimmy Chamberlin Complex. When I got back
into trying to play Pumpkins music, I found I didn’t make
the same choices, musically, that I used to. I had to go back
and listen to a lot of songs and almost relearn how to play
like that again, because I felt as a musician I’d moved on.
My relationship with music just became really awkward.
Every time I’d go into my studio to play, I’d be thinking,
‘what am I doing here? Was that just an intro to the next
hit song? Am I writing here?’ There was always an agenda.
So I just stopped playing. I had to stop. But there’s stuff I
hear on records where I just cringe.”
Quote:
in a rock context, as much as I
love what rock has given me, there’s not really much I think
I could do anymore.”
Source:
http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...ssue-Eight.pdf