Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2017, 09:49 PM   #1
Ram27
dumb

Default Pumpkins were supposed to film an MTV Unplugged set in July 1996

Quote:
Addicted to Noise reported on the 4th that the band would be back in Chicago for an "MTV Unplugged" session featuring the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. The projected set did not occur for unknown reasons.
fuck that would've been amazing

Old 07-11-2017, 09:58 PM   #2
Skradgee
Boardcaster

Yeah, yeah. Instead we got VH1 Storytellers. BFD.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:28 PM   #3
Zerospaced
Apocalyptic Poster

Even in 1996 Bobo was not following through on promises.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:14 AM   #4
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Melvoin died July 12.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:49 PM   #5
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
Melvoin died July 12.

By that time he already had OD'd twice. They were hanging on by a thread and knew it, that's why no MTV acoustic performance.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:13 AM   #6
qwerty sp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
I agree

It could have been the high point for the band

Old 07-12-2017, 03:27 AM   #7
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 07-12-2017, 03:38 AM   #8
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:

...regarding the Chicago Symphony Orchestra:

"Tonight, Tonight" is written in the key of G, performed on instruments tuned down a half-step so the actual pitch is G♭. In the original recording sessions, "Tonight, Tonight" was initially written in the key of C instead of G. However, since Corgan was unable to sing the song in C, he wrote a version during the Mellon Collie recording sessions to suit his range. The strings for the song were arranged by Billy Corgan & Audrey Riley, and recorded with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Corgan said that recording with a 30-piece string-section for the song "was probably one of the most exciting recording experiences I have ever had."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonigh..._Pumpkins_song)

Old 07-12-2017, 05:28 AM   #9
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

considering that the pumpkins' strong suit live was always the powerful drumming and guitaring, an unplugged set hampered by Cordman's shitty vocals would probably be nothing to write home about. no fucks given.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #10
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
considering that the pumpkins' strong suit live was always the powerful drumming and guitaring, an unplugged set hampered by Cordman's shitty vocals would probably be nothing to write home about. no fucks given.
i dunno man, that '93 "Black Sessions" show is magnificent

Old 07-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #11
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_soaker View Post
i dunno man, that '93 "Black Sessions" show is magnificent

man i haven't listened to that in ages. who would have thought 20 something years ago you'd find yourself having to explain why you like the pumpkins compared to their contemporaries.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:30 AM   #12
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 07-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #13
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I think he's trying to say something but with like videos instead of words man.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #14
TuralyonW3
Immortal

hole unplugged is stupid

Old 07-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #15
Ram27
dumb

Old 07-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #16
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:

Hahaaa...that's hilarious.

Rule #1: Don't piss off the sound guy.

YouTube description:

"Hole performing Celebrity Skin live at Don Hill's in NYC, Sept. 11, 2010.

I was hired through the venue to record this show (including many others throughout that week) and was then left standing with a hard drive and an invoice no one seemed to want. Four years later I still have the files and not really any idea what to do with them. But I like to share. So here we are.

What you are hearing are just Courtney's isolated vocal and guitar mics (with the obvious bleed from the rest of the band). I've muted everything else. EDIT: There seems to be some confusion about where/what the video footage is. It's a video of the same performance. It's just not my video. I did not shoot this video. I did not edit this video together. I have merely taken my audio recording of the same performance and synced it as best I could. Their edit is sloppy which is why it drifts in and out of sync. It's not about the video, anyway. It's there for context. The source video is here with their own audio: http://youtu.be/_HDMp8j7i1E Also, I've now uploaded a second video with my own mix of the full band here: http://youtu.be/13QNXpJugBc

To address the most obvious, inevitable question that I will be asked...this is not fake. Whether you think she's the worst or this just makes her all the more "punk rock" is for you to decide. I'm merely presenting the facts as they are. Make of them what you will.

UPDATE: If you want the rest of the show in the same manner you can download it for free here: https://www.oboom.com/SETT9F5K

UPDATE: Here's the best proof of authenticity anyone could ask for. Another 2010 video shot in Paris of Courtney Love playing, effectively, the exact same thing: http://youtu.be/BG6xZlBUDD4 Cheers to pentagonoenllamas for pointing it out."

Old 07-12-2017, 02:23 PM   #17
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate
Talking

Quote:
She's still a better guitarist than me.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #18
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
no, this is not real. i see the thing posted from the sound guy above, but even shitty courtney can play much better than that. it sounds like one of those "shred" videos. and it's not even distorted right. no i refuse to believe this

Old 07-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #19
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
no, this is not real. i see the thing posted from the sound guy above, but even shitty courtney can play much better than that. it sounds like one of those "shred" videos. and it's not even distorted right. no i refuse to believe this
then how do you explain the vocals

Old 07-12-2017, 02:55 PM   #20
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtSampson View Post
then how do you explain the vocals
I dunno, maybe someone got the isolated vocal track (with band leakage) and added a "shred" style track.

i mean, i there's no way to tell if it's real or not, but it's so hard to imagine her playing THAT shitty

Old 07-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #21
Ram27
dumb

thanks for posting, didn't know they did a black sessions set

july 4th london show is also excellent:

Old 07-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #22
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

god who could even care they're not even good plugged in

Old 07-12-2017, 02:24 PM   #23
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

I love that there is nothing left to talk about with SP other than "things that never happened."

Old 07-12-2017, 05:44 PM   #24
slunken
Virgo

It's an isolated dry mix without any effects on her guitar and there is obviously another mix he could have made with her guitar how it really sounded with the effects on it.

So to be fair the video isn't being completely fair.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:54 PM   #25
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
It's an isolated dry mix without any effects on her guitar and there is obviously another mix he could have made with her guitar how it really sounded with the effects on it.

So to be fair the video isn't being completely fair.
that's got nothing to do with it - her notes don't even come out sounding right, it's all muted and buzzing and shitty due to bad left hand chording.

this seems allllmost real to me - although i sort of agree with turdlion it kinda has that shred video vibe.
like, who would even bother making up this story and playing shitty guitar and bothering to sync it up so accurately?
....then again, it's the internet. so who knows.

what bugged me, though, was that she stops playing and puts both her hands up in the air multiple times during the course of the song, and there is no feedbacking or even pickup noise whatsoever. that's what kills it for me, and makes me think it might be fake. we don't even need to assume she's too fucked up to bother with a volume knob, you can see she's not even reaching for it

Old 07-13-2017, 01:36 AM   #26
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
that's got nothing to do with it - her notes don't even come out sounding right, it's all muted and buzzing and shitty due to bad left hand chording.

this seems allllmost real to me - although i sort of agree with turdlion it kinda has that shred video vibe.
like, who would even bother making up this story and playing shitty guitar and bothering to sync it up so accurately?
....then again, it's the internet. so who knows.

what bugged me, though, was that she stops playing and puts both her hands up in the air multiple times during the course of the song, and there is no feedbacking or even pickup noise whatsoever. that's what kills it for me, and makes me think it might be fake. we don't even need to assume she's too fucked up to bother with a volume knob, you can see she's not even reaching for it
lack of feedback is really weird

just the fact that he has the isolated vocals as well vouches a ton for the guitar being real, though. even if that wasn't the real track, i can't imagine the actual one would sound much better; her playing looks really sloppy

that paris video where she could barely play it was aug 26 2010, the iso one is sept 11 2010. sounds like she actually got worse over the two weeks

Old 07-12-2017, 10:03 PM   #27
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i still have no explanation to the feedback thing (even tailoring a gate to be that accurate in a live setting would be a challenge), but - this is really much harder to deny. same thing from another concert

apparently it's real, folks

what a fucking joke, this is mind boggling

Old 07-12-2017, 10:35 PM   #28
slunken
Virgo

What I'm saying is that it wouldn't sound quite as shitty with fuzz or whatever on top.

I've heard isolated sources like this before and I'm certainly not calling her a talented guitar player but everyone knows you can get away with shitty technique when you're using effects. What you are hearing is completely dry with zero effects. No one in the club heard that except the soundman when he got home.

This is not exactly an isolated incident. Plenty of bands would sound this terrible if you took the effects away from the front person.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #29
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
What I'm saying is that it wouldn't sound quite as shitty with fuzz or whatever on top.

I've heard isolated sources like this before and I'm certainly not calling her a talented guitar player but everyone knows you can get away with shitty technique when you're using effects. What you are hearing is completely dry with zero effects. No one in the club heard that except the soundman when he got home.

This is not exactly an isolated incident. Plenty of bands would sound this terrible if you took the effects away from the front person.
yeah but also the guitar is out of tune, but even beyond the tuning it sounds like she's playing wrong notes, and most importantly her rhythm and "touch" and the way she's voicing the chords is fuuuucked

Old 07-12-2017, 10:36 PM   #30
slunken
Virgo

The reason you hear no feedback is because it's a 100% DRY SIGNAL