Elphenor
Braindead

elitist douchebaggary, basically

Old 07-18-2014, 06:14 PM   #123
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
It's not a bad song, but there is no hook. No part of the song that forces you to push the replay button.
Yeah man, that shits boring. Sounds like grandpa music or something haha

Old 07-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #124
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post

yep no hooks here
Look how "different" these guys are, they're all wearing matching suits while having a little boy dancing around in front of them wearing the same suit that the band is. How creative of them

Old 07-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #125
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
fucking again, it's like you really actually have a learning disability

the fact that you are grouping a certain kind of band together is one thing, i'm not even disputing that

the fact that they're "hipster bands" is what pisses me off

shut the fuck up about "hipster bands"

and stop listening to nofx. jesus.
Nofx is a million times better than the shit I've checked out in this thread

Old 07-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #126
Elphenor
Braindead

Nvm

Old 07-18-2014, 08:15 PM   #127
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Look how "different" these guys are, they're all wearing matching suits while having a little boy dancing around in front of them wearing the same suit that the band is. How creative of them
Post-Punk says "hello"

Old 07-18-2014, 08:20 PM   #128
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Nofx is a million times better than the shit I've checked out in this thread

A good indicator of a shitty band os when the frontman thinks shorts are an acceptable thing to wear

Old 07-18-2014, 08:22 PM   #129
Eulogy
huh

I love the national.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:45 PM   #130
Shallowed
Braindead

I think The National are okay but I haven't heard enough to pass judgement.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:26 PM   #131
Mooney
Socialphobic

i've been a casual fan of national. i've downloaded all their albums and probably listened to them four or five times each for the most part.

i was driving some folks the other day that wouldn't necessarily enjoy my typical musical fare, so i put all songs of theirs on shuffle since i figured it would be pretty inoffensive. i must say, i won't use the dreaded 'h' word, but each song had that certain something that made me think, 'i like this song.' as trots mentioned earlier they could be considered boring, especially considering that most songs that came up on shuffle could have came from any of their albums as far as i was concerned. but each song had its own hoo.. er, certain something that made it stand out to me as 'a song of theirs that i liked'...and this happened 12 or 15 random songs in a row. i guess i'll chalk it up to amazing songwriting. i could have put a band i enjoy on the whole a hell of lot more than the national on shuffle and it wouldn't have been the same experience. i'm drunk, i hope that was readable. and i don't know what this all means.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:36 AM   #132
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU FUCKING FULL ON RETARD HOOKS.

clearly everyone using the word hook has differing opinions on what one is or isn't. JESUS CLIT CHRIST. if you're in marketing, okay, use hook. keep collecting your research on demographics and when the "hook" is needed to be heard. you fucking brain dead non-musicians talking about hooks as if it is an actual musical term or even slang please die. RIFFS RIFFS RIFFS. CHORUS BRIDGE CHORUS. FUCK DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE.

how this thread even turned into a discussion about "hooks" by the plebs is beyond me. i asked other people into the national to recommend songs. that's all. take your mental illness to the "cooking thread" about sandwiches.
look it up, it has a definiton. slang has definition. and don't call me a fucking pleb, come at me bro.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:55 AM   #133
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
look it up, it has a definiton. slang has definition. and don't call me a fucking pleb, come at me bro.
look up what. hook? don't need to, i already know what a "hook" is. quite clear on slang. i didn't call you a pleb i'm speaking directly to poots, fuzzyroes, eleohanttit and every other clown who keeps using the word hook as a descriptor of anything other than the moment marketing research discovers "this is when people pay attention" but if you want to fight about nothing i'll come at you.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:17 AM   #134
Trotskilicious
Banned

maybe i was a little defensive about ruining this thread

lets hug it out

ps also a little defensive about not playing music

Old 07-19-2014, 03:55 AM   #135
noyen
Immortal

no need to be defensive.. That's my frustration is as if anyone is actually proving anything about what good music is or isn't. And the "hipster bands" and the de-evolving of brain cells (not yours, you have made points and articulate them well and I think it's perfectly fine to dislike any kind of music. It's the 12 year old puppy brains Juliana loling at god knows what and this whole idea NOFX is some quality bar in whatever and that hipster bands and dad songs are even taken seriously. repetitive music (we which is what music is) is all hooks. where the hook is and what it is depends on who is listening and if the hook is the selling point, the memorable point or the point when boring turns into exciting. that's why I'm like what the hell is even being talked about here. Some dudes don't like the national. some do. the ones defending it are just as bad as the ones trashing it for lack of hooks because I personally dont get how some brains work and take their opinion as fact because they ate spaghetti once and know about Italian food and I tried a taco so I know about tacos and I went to a rest stop in butt fuck Minnesota so I know about america or I heard a hook once in a song I like so I know all about hooks and musical structure and being dismissive of a band because they do or dont look cool. it's function not fashion. substance over style. and I think some people are completely confuaed on what point theyre getting across. I prefer people like you who can say I dont like it because its not palatable. that's not a deal breaker where I can t handle it anf must convince you. cliche time; you dont choose music, chooses you. that's why I like a few national songs and dont like quite a few. I love a ton of cure songs and loathe an equal amount. I like tiffany and Grimes but also think half of it is garbage and she is dumb as hell on a lot of levels. I am sure people think the same about me but that's cool not everyone has to and if it's hooks people need then they must also be told what is okay by someone else and are living in boxed in worlds where radio serves up the hits with hooks. riffs are riffs and choruses are choruses and a riff can be anywhere in anything and used or abused and ruined because it's like crack and they jemust can't get enough of that intro to smells like teen spirit or when the lights go out in the shitter. basically driving into the ground that the only good song is a song that fits pop radio standards of attention span an repeatability. BTW nearly none of this is directed at you trots. Its me ranting off into the void so that some dimwit will reply and fall into my trap of making this a 95 page thread about what hipster, hook and dismissive and hypersensitve persuasion of either hate or love of a particular brand or style of music. poops thinks he's clever hating to break it to everyone that something is pop music. oh wow enlightening that if I hear something played with a demographic audience it's pop and shatters my fragile reality. NOFX slaaays "I insert any other band". there's not enough riffs. There's no hook. Cannot compute. Must find hook. Where is my brand name and layout? I want to die just understanding how dense and oblivious people who think they are anti establishment and left field by being just sheep.of another color and haven't broken through the thin film of realizing they are shit bags and everything is shit or good and it's okay because life is a stupid farce and the only things worth getting passionate over are things that are fleeting like life and love and good food and making sure everyone is heard not just some small percentage. everyone should feel good about something. everyone is allowed to like garbage if it isn't hurting anyone. it's not so serious that I even take this super long winded post not serious at all but its totally going to come off like I give a shit what someone considers palitable or not. adversity is fun and keeps things evolving on both ends. so good things come to an end and great things spring from nothing or out of spite for something else. that's why the definition of punk is perfectly fine to also constantly evolve. maybe at one point Madonna was punk. And Kanye or whoever. Or still is to some people.

I ain't even mad. I am trolling just as hard as the "all these hipster bands sound the same" without even giving an example of anything in particular.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:12 AM   #136
Trotskilicious
Banned

nah it is totally cool, my friend. i was definitely wrong but i think ultimately i know how much truth you are speaking and i feel my habits run counter of "letting everyone be heard" and not quite giving a fuck but still kind of giving a fuck and all of that. people get really offended when i make fun of bands and i don't quite get that but can get defensive when people dismiss everything they haven't already heard of/approve of as "hipster bands"

it's real frustrating to talk to dudes like fuzzy because he's got this whole bro mindset that seems to be completely unshakable because he thinks his opinion has as much weight as anyone else's because he thought it, just like the rest of us. he doesn't really have any respect for people that are diverse and listen to a lot of stuff because it's "hipster" or "pretentious" and then feels the need to tell me that swans is "kinda weak" because they "sound like sonic youth" or the ultimate, the time he said that wire is one of "those hipster bands today that don't even try." and his obsession with the way bands look, that shit about how they are all wearing suits and stuff...yeah dude people wear things on purpose. it's like some kind of idiot teenager in 1996 wearing a black trenchcoat and thinking he's not like the sheeple in A&F

i dunno why i have to argue with them, i don't get it. they banned netphoria at work so now i just troll nba blogs and it's just shitty i dunno. i feel like i'm guilty of a lot of it, i ate a taco so i think i know about tacos

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 07-19-2014 at 04:25 AM.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:26 AM   #137
Trotskilicious
Banned

i don't play music or basketball but i'm a self professed expert. i mean what a dick, right?

Old 07-19-2014, 04:26 AM   #138
noyen
Immortal

Guilty of same. But I think there is a majority of us too who realize we are not experts in anything, just opinionated about our own experiences and want to propel others to challenge their ideals and shatter their comfort zones because that's why we are the way we are. Constantly fucking up. Constant changes in perspective. Gaining confidence and then losing it and gaining it again. Giving things second third and fourth chances. Eventually shit I don't like one day is gonna rub off on me the right way cuz my frame of mind is changed or receptive because I'm fragile or the absolute opposite being a hardass and sticking to one thing because of conviction. Let's not pray that we ever get passionate about religion or any particular ideal too much and be one of these "I read this book it changed my life and it will save yours too because its the only thing that will because I found it" bs. taco pioneers and explorers are gonna know about tacos more so than the guy who thinks there is only one way to do it, his town, his ingredients, his access to whatever. it applies to everything. the only way to know about things is to explore polar opposites and learn all sides. then just keep your fingers crossed you fall on the right side of the fence and you're not some bible thumping Nazi racist vegan woman hater venture capitalist serial rapist sociopath. Its all a fine line. I watched this "documentary" called 40 years of hip hop with krs 1 and am blown away with how intelligent he is. Same with chuck d. But I don't agree with every single thing they say as if it were blind devotion.

Julianalol

Old 07-19-2014, 04:32 AM   #139
Trotskilicious
Banned

yeah krs-one is an amazing dude, and such a great big smile. i watched a documentary series about hip hop on cable a long time ago, he was always a highlight just to listen to him talk about hip hop

and yeah i guess that is true about pushing boundries and exploring i just get so down on my shit, i get told i'm "close minded" a lot because i'm so opinionated but i just know a few things are true 1) the religious right is fucking wrong 2) we're all shit 3) challenge things, ideas, people, you know. constantly editing. i think i'm coming to realize i'm exactly the dude i always wanted to be, and that's not a success to dudes in fancy condos or internet startups and "strategic marketing" entreprenures. i'm a fuck up, i drink too much and smoke a bunch of weed and say fuck a lot. i listen to really loud music and go to the "sketchy" restaraunts where real food is being made, instead of some kind of polished product complete with modern interior decor

i give stuff 3, 4 and 5 tries because when i first heard the pixies in high school i was like whatever that shit sucks it's all shitty and it's not as good as STP and then i would put on two princes. then once i got to my mid 20s i listened to it again and it just blew my shit apart. radiohead too, hated that high and dry and dumbass karma police but then i heard kid A in my early twenties and it blew my dick off. Daydream nation, My father will guide me a rope up to the sky, ghostface, guinness, straight wiskey, black coffee...all this shit. takes time to learn and appreciate.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:38 AM   #140
Trotskilicious
Banned

ghostface is seriously some kind of pulp homer

the greek one.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:53 AM   #141
noyen
Immortal

see that makes you not a shitty person to me. it makes me think even if you're not where you've figured out shit you will. I struggle with the same stuff. I hate that things are based on looks and superficial is the standard. And social media is a pyramid scheme not worth fighting against because either these really great people rise to the top or the complete and worst do. And being baited into thinking you matter when you're just falling into line to praise some cunts ego. How its quantity over quality. I adore people who think they are scum because to me theyre humbled I'm some way. They may be wrong but its the same with people who do have power and influence and actually attempt to use it for good despite falling into the same traps as everyone else. I lose respect for people daily based on tiny trivial things. I'll resent them until they redeem themselves. Somehow I think.I have this informed view when I really dont. I get jealous and depressed and suicidal and want attention and get mad when I dont get it and at the same time am a hypocrite for being far too harsh and judgemental towards people who just have their head in the clouds the same way I do sometimes. Like what I think matters. What my shoes look like matters. And showing off. The self aware self loathing seem to have a better view on things than people who are already the societal definition of pretty and rich and have never seen adversity in their lives sitting telling me what I need to do and to love yourself and a billion other cliches when they are the fucking Antichrist and are just selling you something. To fall in line and consume what they're selling. To stand on your back. To forget about praising yourself and spend time praising them because they made it. I loved hearing krs say "I don't want you to be like me. I'm not interested in having you strive to be like me. I want you to challenge me and be different and show me something I've never seen before. That to learn to like yourself or even be proud of yourself you may have to go through losing everything to get that. You may have to fight yourself and be contrarian." I think it's true and inspiring a dude so confident about himself seema genuinely interested in challenging people to be so different than him and to challenge him because its the only way he learns. And that pride is something hard to earn. And that you are history and making history. And that while people are talking about working out differences and complaining about things there are already people that have done it and got there and are doing it and no one may be paying attention to you at all ever. And to be okay with that is hard as fuck but you never know who's watching or how you're inspiring other people by just doing your own thing, doubting yourself.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:09 AM   #142
Elphenor
Braindead

Yeah, music is pretty much entirely subjective.

But if someone was all "Mark E Smith is just a rambling drunkard". My reaction would be to try to show them differently, not like freak out and shit. But whatever, The National are a good band and all.

Edit: Sorry to interrupt

Old 07-19-2014, 05:12 AM   #143
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Yeah, music is pretty much entirely subjective.

But if someone was all "Mark E Smith is just a rambling drunkard". My reaction would be to try to show them differently, not like freak out and shit. But whatever, The National are a good band and all.

Edit: Sorry to interrupt
Shut the fuck up this is all over your head.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:19 AM   #144
Elphenor
Braindead

It's really not, man.

But, yeah, carry on

Old 07-19-2014, 05:24 AM   #145
Trotskilicious
Banned

it is, we're grown ass men talking about grown ass man shit, you'll get here maybe but right now you're just full of cum

Old 07-19-2014, 05:26 AM   #146
Trotskilicious
Banned

and i'm not prepared to accept that music is entirely subjective that means ICP, Limp Bizkit and Nickelback are legitimate and they are not and they suck and i'm sure there's some kind of equation that perhaps are tiny monkey brains cannot even comprehend that proves that they fucking suck and should die asap

Old 07-19-2014, 05:37 AM   #147
Elphenor
Braindead

I think you got the wrong idea about me from some dumb shit I said about sex at like 2am. Idk. But it's funny.

Music is cool because it's so subjective. But it's also insanely annoying that try as a might I'm never going to be able to get any of my friends to dig VU and stuff.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:41 AM   #148
noyen
Immortal

Why do you need to get anyone into anything. Let them live their lives. Do you need credit for having someone like something you like that a ton of other people like? you are missing the point if you say "yeah I agree". You haven't read shit in this thread if you followed up with your whimsy about oh the sufferage no one will ever appreciate social distortion the way that I do.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:43 AM   #149
Trotskilicious
Banned

i like exposing people to things because then maybe they will go to a show with me

it is pretty fun when you are listening to something like and one of your friends is like what is this and you're like it's such and such and they go "that's totally awesome!" but you got to return the favor to other people and not be a big stick in the mud and think you know it all because you don't

Old 07-19-2014, 05:43 AM   #150
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
I think you got the wrong idea about me from some dumb shit I said about sex at like 2am. Idk. But it's funny.
look junior, grown men realize the shit they say reflect who they are