Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
Gish08
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Final Fantasy Versus XIII Details (finally)

Don't ask me where I got this
Quote:
FINAL FANTASY VERSUS XIII

PUBLISHER: SQUARE-ENIX
RELEASE DATE: TBA
PRICE: TBA
GENRE: RPG
CERO: TBA
PLATFORM: PlayStation 3

STAFF

* Producer: Shinji Hashimoto (FINAL FANTASY series/KINGDOM HEARTS series.)
* Producer: Yoshinori Kitase (FINAL FANTASY series)
* Image Artwork: Yoshitaka Amano (FINAL FANTASY series)
* Mechanic Concept: Takayuki Takeya (FINAL FANTASY VII ADVENT CHILDREN)
* Clothes Design: Himuro Takahara (Roen Creative Director)
* Scenario Writer: Kazushige Nojima (FINAL FANTASY VII, VIII, X, X-2/COMPILATION OF FINAL FANTASY VII/KINGDOM HEARTS/KINGDOM HEARTS II)
* Music: Yoko Shimomura (KINGDOM HEARTS series)
* Main Programmers: Hiroshi Harata (FINAL FANTASY VI, VII, VIII/KINGDOM HEARTS/KINGDOM HEARTS II)
* Main Programmers: Kentarou Yasui (FINAL FANTASY VII, VIII/KINGDOM HEARTS/KINGDOM HEARTS II)
* Planning Directors: Yuuichi Kanemori (KINGDOM HEARTS series)
* Planning Directors: Takayoshi Nakazato (FINAL FANTASY VII, VIII, X, X-2, DIRGE of CERBERUS FINAL FANTASY VII)
* Planning Director (World): Takeshi Endou (FINAL FANTASY VI, VII, VIII, IX/KINGDOM HEARTS series)
* Planning Director (Event): Jun Akiyama (FINAL FANTASY VII, XII/KINGDOM HEARTS)
* Graphic Director (Character Model): Tomohiro Kayano (FINAL FANTASY VII, VIII, IX, X/KINGDOM HEARTS series/DISSIDIA FINAL FANTASY/The 3rd birthday)
* Graphic Director (Animation): Tatsuya Kandou (FINAL FANTASY VII, VIII, IX/KINGDOM HEARTS series/World Ends With You/DISSIDIA FINAL FANTASY)
* Graphic Director (Map Model): Masahide Tanaka (FINAL FANTASY VIII, IX/KINGDOM HEARTS series)
* Graphic Director (Visual Effects): Shuichi Sato (FINAL FANTASY X/KINGDOM HEARTS series)
* Graphic Director (System Menu): Takeshi Arakawa (FINAL FANTASY VIII, IX/KINGDOM HEARTS series/World Ends With You/DISSIDIA FINAL FANTASY)
* Art Director (Character): Tomohiro Hasegawa (FINAL FANTASY VIII, IX, X/KINGDOM HEARTS series/World Ends With You/DISSIDIA FINAL FANTASY)
* Art Director (Map): Takayuki Ohtachi (FINAL FANTASY VII/KINGDOM HEARTS series/World Ends With You/DISSIDIA FINAL FANTASY)
* Movie Director: Takeshi Nozue (FINAL FANTASY IX, X, X-2/FINAL FANTASY VII ADVENT CHILDREN/KINGDOM HEARTS series/DISSIDIA FINAL FANTASY)
* Director, Concept Game Design, Character Design, Base Story: Tetsuya Nomura

OUTLINE

* Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII are two related titles that focus around the Fabula Nova Crystallis myth.

* Final Fantasy Versus XIII is not a sequel or a spin-off of Final Fantasy XIII, but a whole new game for the PS3 system. It has a completely different world, settings and characters in comparison to Final Fantasy XIII.

* Versus in Latin means to turn around and in English it means against. Both translations are the main keywords for this game.

* Early Final Fantasy Versus XIII artwork showed dark and heavy images in comparison to Final Fantasy XIIIs white background. This is going to be translated to the game in a very particular way.

* Premises and experiences that havent been seen in other Final Fantasy games or other games in general will be present in Versus XIII. Itll be something truly interesting.

* Versus XIII is a title that will unite the nostalgia of the past Final Fantasy games and will tie it to a whole new way to experience the franchise. Level and overall design will be extremely valued in this game.

* This game will involve a lot of action, but old Final Fantasy elements will be present as well. They will be taken to a whole new level with the technology that Crystal Tools and PS3 are able to provide.

* Real-time graphics is what youll see in most of the cutscenes, but fear not, CGI is also present even though there wont be much of it. This change has happened because the development staff has reached their target render for the world and the characters. Therefore, Jun Akiyama and the planning directors decided to scrap most of CGI scenes and re-do them in full real-time.

CHARACTERS

Noctis Lucis Caelum:
He is the royal family Prince and a heir to the throne. His name in Latin means light of the night sky
Hes not a dark character and laughs at things usually with his friends but has an enigmatic face and a whole lot of mystery surrounding him. Hes a shy character to strangers and doesnt talk too much but he is a pretty confident man and sometimes he lets it show.
He is very calm and feels embarrassed when his words dont express the feelings in his mind. He can become extremely moody when this happens and he lets it show on his face.
His hair color will change as will his eye color when hes using his powers. The actual color of his eyes is blue.
He has the ability to manipulate a lot of weapons at once due to the crystal power he received as being its protector.
The only and most important adornment Noctis will use is a ring on his right hand and itll play a central role in the story of the game (the gloves are there for design purposes).
He has the ability to see the Light from the Dead and doesnt like to talk about it very much. It brings him bad memories.

Stella Nox Fleuret:
A young lady from the distinguished Fleuret family from the Kingdom of Tenebrae. Her first name Stella Nox means night star while Fleuret is the French word for rapier, which is reflected in her weapon.
She converses in very soft and polite way, generally goes directly to the point at hand and doesnt fear a harsh reply. She doesnt take things too seriously, but she will learn along the way that things are not the way we want, ever.
Stella has the ability to see the Light just like Noct has. She speaks openly about it without any restraints, feels intrigued by it and searches for answers on her first meeting with the Prince.
She turns unwillingly hostile towards Noctis and his companions due to unkown reasons.

WORLD

* The world where Noctis resides is a place with a different culture. It has advanced technology protected and blessed by the crystal. The surroundings of his familys kingdom are often called Outside World or Outer World.

* With the destruction of the Outside Worlds crystals the land begins to become a ruin and this is seen throughout the areas early, but there are still other cities with technology and heavy firearms but no longer protected by the Crystals. Noctis kingdom is very advanced, but the costumes and rules are still seen as the ones from middle ages, mainly when it comes to royal matters. Magic will have an important and intriguing role in the game.

* Noctis kingdom has been protecting the crystal from generation to generation and this burden is passed down onto him. The Outside World Armies decided to invade the kingdom to retrieve the crystal and they wont stop until they get it.

* A lot of cities like Venice and Tokyo are depicted within the game and serve as an inspiration for the locations in general.

* Goddess of Death/Shinigami Etro is worshipped in the game and it is a falCie.

STORY

* With life-like characters and a truly painful story the main theme the team wants to showcase is Bounds and how the characters relate to it.

* Its a dark and sad story which aims to show how heavy and painful the burden that the heroes are carrying is, how painful their paths can be, and how important flashes of happiness are in a world ravaged by greed and despair. The keyword for Versus XIII story is misery, and it can be applied to all main characters.

* Early regions in the game are heavily inspired by western bang-bang movies.

* The main design key point for the clothes is Jet-black and there will be a lot of scenes and circumstances where this design will show mainly because it is compatible with the mood of the game. Hiromu Takahara is working on the character clothes and his designs will be heavily influenced by the asymmetric forms as they have always been.

* Again only because Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII bear the same basic myth those games have completely different stories and characters.

* The hero, Noctis, attends a celebration party held in commemoration of the Agreement concerning the Peaceful use of the Crystal being created between two countries and as a Prince who will soon inherit the King title he meets the heroine of the game, Stella, for the first time.

GAME SYSTEM

Open field:

* Players will find a big world map with vast fields where the players will be able to explore as far as the eye can reach except the mountains.

* Use of a car for a faster movement is possible and will come in handy a lot of times due to the distance between places.

* Its possible to fly airships over the world just like in older Final Fantasy titles.

* Terrain diversity is much more detailed and vast than in Final Fantasy XIII.

* The day and night cycles, and floating of the clouds are done by physical calculation. It was decided to be made this way to have a smooth change between the cycles, and to have a more dynamic light system which reflects the mood of a certain region/place.

Seamless:

* The game is basically seamless, the only loading the player will experience is between large areas. Also theyre implementing a type of loading that happens while watching an event scene. This way its possible to give players the most immersive experience they have ever had.

* The monsters wander throughout the field and sometimes hostile ones appear suddenly to ambush you. Its been confirmed that a lot of different kind of monsters exist.

BATTLE SYSTEM

* It will be different from the battle system of Final Fantasy XIII. Versus XIII will draw the nostalgic feeling from old Final Fantasy titles and blend it with a whole new concept.

* Elements of TPS: The action and the pace will be similar to the battles of Kingdom Hearts but united with new mechanics. Both, FF and KH, styles will be mixed into this game.

* Seamless Battles

* Battles will take place in real-time environments using all regions of the field, from up high buildings to down low streets.

* Some battles will happen in very intense places throughout the game, such as vertical locations.

* Two or more weapons can be used by Noctis, and theyre summoned by him whenever he feels like it.

* There will be different plastics of attack depending on the weapon Noctis chooses. Those weapons can also be used as a shield alongside the crystal power.

* Weapons can be customized and what is obtained in the early stages of the game can be used until the end.

* Noctis can move faster while teleporting from location to location on the battle field as seen in the trailers.

* His companions have other weapons and abilities yet to be revealed.

INTERVIEWS

Mr. Hashimoto interviews Tetsuya Nomura (Twitter): SQUARE ENIX MEMBERS (SQEX_MEMBERS_JP) on Twitter
"Mr. Nomura: (On Versus XIII completion rate): Its already possible to fly with an Airship on the World Map but the progress level of each setting is different and some parts still dont tie together."

Interview with Tetsuya Nomura on the TGS 2009 Handcam showing for Versus XIII (Famitsu.com): 쑺N玁ƐCr[I TGSTvCYf̓eɔ - t@~.com
"We prepared this off-camera footage from the game to easy people down and show them the game is still in development, this footage was from a technological verification we often do"

"Noctis riding a motorcycle? - Hahaha, Maybe."

"Development accelerated quite a lot since last spring and we have good prospects for it and it'll accelerate even more when FFXIII is completely finished."

Interview with Tetsuya Nomura on TGS 2008 Closed Mega Theater trailer for Versus XIII. (Famitsu.com): t@~.comƐXN[v!! XNEFAGjbNXu[X ʌJɍ킹āAN[YhKVA[̊ςǂ닳܂I - t@~.com

Interview with Producer Mr. Shinji Hashimoto on FFXIII (Famitsu): őCr[I wFFXIIIx{Akvf[T[ - t@~.com
Versus XIII on Xbox 360? There are no plans for that at all. There is no change about this game situation and Itll release on the market exclusively on the PS3 system.

Mr. Nomura likes to focus on only one platform when developing a game

Interview Final Fantasy Versus XIII with Nomura (Dengeki Online): インタビュー『ファイナルファンタ ーXIII』 - 電撃オンライン

Fabula Nova Crystallis interview with 5 Key people (Famitsu.com): ̍iȂwFF XIIIxɂ‚āA5l̃L[}ɌĂ!! - t@~.com

Fabula Nova Crystallis Directors Interview (Famitsu.com): "t@u m@ NXX FFXIII"3l̃L[}ɃCr[ - t@~.com

DEVELOPER COMMENTS

"Dont be fooled by the dark mood the trailer leads you to, what youve seen is merely a representation of whats to come but I can disclose that the character (Noctis) is not solitary or dark even though the burden he carries is very heavy" - Tetsuya Nomura on Versus XIII main character, Noctis Lucis Caelum.

"I would say misery and worry play a huge part in the story and when the plot was being first considered I spoke with Mr. Kitase and we decided to take an even more sad direction for the story" - Tetsuya Nomura on Versus XIII Story

"People will cry because of the story, they will get involved into it and will be crying for a whole week and on!"- Yoshinori Kitase giving his view on Versus XIII story

"Itll be that awful?? Well balance it very well because playing and seeing those unpleasant sad scenes for hours could become a problem for avid players so well work on that" - Tetsuya Nomura responding to Kitase's comments.

"KH team is involved with the gameplay system and they already have the knowhow from other titles. Of course its not a Kingdom Hearts-like system because it's a FF title and we have previous "FF" staff with us, so itll be a balanced mix of those two with lots of action. Imagine it for yourselves because I cant say anything!" - Tetsuya Nomura on Versus XIII gameplay and battle system.

"Latin is a very mysterious language that no one uses on a daily basis anymore. Doesnt matter what kind of word we use in Latin, people all around the world wont be able to understand and yet appreciate it. Thats what we wanted, a sense of equality between the everybody" - Tetsuya Nomura explaining why they're using Latin in the game.

"Its title means Sleep and the tune is about it and alot of real situations we see everyday. - Tetsuya Nomura on Somnus"

"Somnus, the song is represented by the shut-eye in the games logo, as for more details youll have to wait because Producer Hashimoto does not allow me to talk further" - Tesuya Nomura hinting at the game's plot.

"Artwork and pre-production are all done by now. And I want to make a FF title that has not been seen before, so well experiment a bit before we show some more things" - Tetsuya Nomura on the game's development (2006)

"Well have a level and upgrade system to be operated, it doesnt mean that because in the trailers he has all those weapons the player will too when they actually start the game. - Tetsuya Nomura on the gameplay system.

"Well, if the player isnt able to level up by his own work and fighting its not an RPG, right?" - Tetsuya Nomura on gameplay features.

"Swords will gather and appear depending on the players will to go after them. That trailer image is nothing but a representation. And we decided as a development option to make him that strong for the trailer. But dont worry, Noctis can be as strong as you seen in the trailers if you have the will to do it" - Tetsuya Nomura on the character development

"The Crystal is enshrined inside the pillar behind Noctis throne weve showed a little in previous trailers. But, no one knows the content inside this pillar because they dont see it" - Tetsuya Nomura on the so talked Crystal

"Yes, its one of the most central points in the game" - Tetsuya Nomura on the Crystals role for the story.

"Myth VERSUS Real" - Kazushige Nojima explaining Versus XIII in one phrase.

OTHER

Curiosities:

* A subwindow that copies Noctis expression will be shown in the bottom of the page, just like Kingdom Hearts but extremely more detailed.

* Summon beasts are in the game and to obtain them they have to be defeated like in Final Fantasy XIII.

* Yoshitaka Amano artworks will appear as paintings throughout the game and they will not be exclusive to falCie Etro.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
Order 66
Socialphobic

i haven't played FFXIII yet but it seems sort of uninspired and terrible. and that's saying alot because there's never been a Final Fantasy i didn't rush out and buy on day 1. i really hate what the series has become.

this versus shit sounds cool though. sounds it'll be alot better, like its "the real FFXIII" rather than a spinoff or anything

Old 08-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
Gish08
Apocalyptic Poster

Versus is supposed to be better. It's like an action RPG with traditional FF elements.

I completed XIII. It's very linear but overall a very good/great RPG. Definitely give it a try. Gamestop has it on sale until the 8th for $30 (PS3 and 360).

Old 08-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
exactlythesame
Minion of Satan

Location: I thought what I'd do is I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes

dammit, these FF titles always rape me in the ass with it's pricing

i bought it when i came out and haven't even played it

Old 08-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Luke de Spa
someone more...punk rock?

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

post/av

Old 08-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
exactlythesame
Minion of Satan

well played, sir

Old 08-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
Gish08
Apocalyptic Poster

This game is going to be epic. Better than XIII most likely.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
exactlythesame
Minion of Satan

The aesthetics look a lot better than FFXIII. I hated the look and feel that world. Glad to see this getting into some dark(er) territory. I'll probably buy this game and, for once, actually play through it.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Bla. I'll just play VI again.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #10
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

I've heard Versus will be the darkest FF game yet, and its battle system will be similar to that of Kingdom Hearts (with a more realistic edge). Both of these rumors make me excited.

Finished XIII...disappointed by the ending (too similar to VII for my tastes, including how rushed it felt). I've heard that there might be a direct sequel to it though...so we'll see what happens with that. Though the story wasn't my favorite, I really liked the battle system...it was nice to actually have to plan attacks as opposed to just button-mashing and grinding for three-quarters of the game.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:47 AM   #11
TuralyonW3
Immortal

waiting for the remake of 7 (which apparently could actually happen now)

Old 08-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #12
Order 66
Socialphobic

I'm more interested in a remake of 6. that would be epic.

I don't feel like 7 needs a remake quite yet. 1997 wasn't that long ago and as much as the graphics have aged it's still not too rudimentary in relation to the newer games (3D, cutscenes, ect)

Old 08-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #13
Astur
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post

Since FF10 I've pretty much just downloaded the soundtracks and don't even bothered with the games. Meh. I watched a friend play most of FF13 and the story and characters seemed quite retarded. Anyways this versus 13 thing looks really good.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #14
DiscoJon
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLlll

Old 08-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #15
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

I am uninterested. "Any regular old JRPG with a long and tedious story" with a "Final Fantasy" label slapped on it isn't quite a FF game to me.

No menus and meters, no care. Go play Ehrgeiz.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #16
Astur
Apocalyptic Poster

Ehrgeiz was pretty cool

Old 08-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #17
Toast
Apocalyptic Poster

it's cool that they're using Latin. I took it for several years and it's awesome.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:24 AM   #18
exactlythesame
Minion of Satan

that's the gayest thing about it

Old 08-09-2010, 01:26 AM   #19
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

I agree with whomever said that there should be an update of 6 before an update of 7. 6 still has the best story, music and villain of the series (Kefka was pure evil; Sephiroth was just a whiny little bitch and I don't understand why gamers are so goddamn in love with him). Shit, I'd almost rather see an update of 8 than 7.