Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 10-22-2020, 10:29 AM   #151
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaldust View Post
So millionaires don't deserve the same type of sympathy for being suicidal as everyday people? That doesn't make any sense to me. It doesn't matter who is experiencing those feelings.

Your consistent linkage of BC's suicidal admission to record promotion demonstrates a negation of his subjectivity.

The point is not that you are hurting BC's feelings. More that the thought patterns here tend to be cruel.
If someone, anyone, claims to have been suicidal then you should never doubt them or be mean about them, regardless of contradictory evidence or context or their own subsequent shitty behavior?

BC's suicide admission was made during record promotion. Feel free to correct me on that. It was intrinsically linked by him to the song Today. As in he was at rock bottom and then he wrote Today.

Also, Bon Iver broke up with his girlfriend and wrote his debut For Emma, Forever Ago alone & heartbroken in a remote cabin. The White Stripes are brother and sister, Kings of Leon grew up in a commune. No artist's would lie about themselves to promote the records they are trying to sell.

True or not, I'm just saying in the context of 90's alt-rock a suicide survival story would not have hurt the single or album.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:31 AM   #152
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
I happen to know that Woody, being a Smashing Pumpkins fan in the year 2020, has some serious mental health issues and is also a suicide survivor.
I actually succeeded and my spirit has been bound to Netphoria as eternal punishment.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:09 AM   #153
run2pee
Minion of Satan

If it helps let me return to the example of my dad once again for a second

This is a man who bullied me and my sister with narcissistic abuse from the time we were infants which resulted (at least in my case) in a near-total destruction of selfhood to say nothing of self esteem (the latter of which remains a daily struggle to even approach). His bullying/invalidation of me, which continues to this day, has led me to the brink of suicidal plan making at many low points in my life

You know what he does if u ever try to bring any of these things up to him? Tell sob stories about his terrible childhood, brag about his own suicidal ideations. All of this to teach me that there’s nothing i could ever, ever complain about because my own suffering is nothing compared to his. Also he can treat anyone however he likes because he’s just a damaged man, doing his best

So then he gets to skip off happy as a clam, having solved the temporary inconvenience/boredom of having to listen to my emotions. And im left even more alienated than before i attempted to reach out to him.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:13 AM   #154
run2pee
Minion of Satan

So to return to big willie, i think woody has a point in that we can be skeptical of the possibility someone is advertising their own suffering in an opportunistic way, especially when you’re dealing with a narcissist. The narcissist understands that suffering can be currency. And that there’s no better shield to deflect criticism/questioning than “i hurt too, yknow”

Basically im pretty sure big willie doesn’t “hurt” today—if he did the music would be better! Instead, he gets his kicks hurting others. The way he treats fans on instragram is straight-up abusive. Big willie doesn’t know if he just smashed some 11-year-olds dreams, he just goes LOL and goes on to the next one

Last edited by run2pee : 10-22-2020 at 11:29 AM.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:29 AM   #155
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

His social media persona is cool, good and "netphorian".

Old 10-22-2020, 11:33 AM   #156
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

+ I think if you say "Rocket is my favorite song ever!!" he reads it as "I'm 37 years old and first heard Rocket when I was a teenager. My tastes haven't matured at all since then and I haven't enjoyed anything you've done in the last 10 years!!" and he's probably right 99% of the time.

Old 10-22-2020, 12:36 PM   #157
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: a melting apocalyptic jungle bleeding out of me like a dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
So to return to big willie, i think woody has a point in that we can be skeptical of the possibility someone is advertising their own suffering in an opportunistic way, especially when you’re dealing with a narcissist. The narcissist understands that suffering can be currency. And that there’s no better shield to deflect criticism/questioning than “i hurt too, yknow”

Basically im pretty sure big willie doesn’t “hurt” today—if he did the music would be better! Instead, he gets his kicks hurting others. The way he treats fans on instragram is straight-up abusive. Big willie doesn’t know if he just smashed some 11-year-olds dreams, he just goes LOL and goes on to the next one
How is admitting suffering anything other than admitting suffering? You can be skeptical of anything, so why choose his suffering? Why not aim that skeptical eye upon your own approach to how other people feel pain?

The so-called "opportunistic" motivation behind this admission is something imagined, something created that should not be accepted as a fact.

So is the "fact" of his narcissism, which is used here so casually and without nuance (i.e. every human subject necessarily adheres to some degree of narcissism) as a way of defending the most determined negative opinions about him.

Old 10-22-2020, 12:37 PM   #158
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

And...how the fuck do you know he doesn't hurt now?

Old 10-22-2020, 12:38 PM   #159
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
If it helps let me return to the example of my dad once again for a second

This is a man who bullied me and my sister with narcissistic abuse from the time we were infants which resulted (at least in my case) in a near-total destruction of selfhood to say nothing of self esteem (the latter of which remains a daily struggle to even approach). His bullying/invalidation of me, which continues to this day, has led me to the brink of suicidal plan making at many low points in my life

You know what he does if u ever try to bring any of these things up to him? Tell sob stories about his terrible childhood, brag about his own suicidal ideations. All of this to teach me that there’s nothing i could ever, ever complain about because my own suffering is nothing compared to his. Also he can treat anyone however he likes because he’s just a damaged man, doing his best

So then he gets to skip off happy as a clam, having solved the temporary inconvenience/boredom of having to listen to my emotions. And im left even more alienated than before i attempted to reach out to him.
This sounds awful. I'm sorry you went through it man. I can relate.

But...BC is not your dad.

Old 10-22-2020, 12:47 PM   #160
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Do you really not see the difference between callus and unsympathetic statements about an individual's struggle with mental illness and responses that attempt to point out the inhumanity of those statements?

I am being critical of the unilateral negativity here not the people as people that populate this board. I never once suggested that anyone's subjective experience was illegitimate. The snuck premise that my comments enact the conditions of my criticism bypasses that simple point. I have only suggested that understanding, sympathy, and compassion are often ignored here and that they shouldn't be.

If suggesting that someone's admission of being suicidal should be taken seriously puts me on a high horse, then so be it. Ride on, motherfucker.

lots of anger here vitaldust. ironic you can't see that. and if understanding, sympathy, and compassion are ignored and shouldn't be, start by being the example first. otherwise you're being hypocritical.

god speed

Old 10-22-2020, 02:00 PM   #161
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

No, not anger. Just advocating against unwarranted cruelty towards another human being and the invalidation of their lived experiences. It's not ironic.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:23 PM   #162
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Billy has been plenty cruel to others himself. So what about that?

Old 10-22-2020, 02:42 PM   #163
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
No, not anger. Just advocating against unwarranted cruelty towards another human being and the invalidation of their lived experiences. It's not ironic.
Calling me motherfucker, lyric or not, is anger. It's ironic because you are the self-appointed behavior police for the board.

Here's a mirror. Try to focus

Old 10-22-2020, 03:38 PM   #164
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

"Ride on, motherfucker" is a lyric from Slunk

And I was the one apparently riding the horse, therefore calling myself a motherfucker.

Old 10-22-2020, 03:41 PM   #165
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Billy has been plenty cruel to others himself. So what about that?
It's the nature and type of cruelty that matters. I have made this point clear in my previous posts.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:01 PM   #166
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Superfluousdust.

#Cruella

Old 10-22-2020, 11:11 PM   #167
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
"Ride on, motherfucker" is a lyric from Slunk

And I was the one apparently riding the horse, therefore calling myself a motherfucker.
Well in that case, ride on, motherfucker

Old 10-23-2020, 06:13 AM   #168
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

The substitute:

Linda Strawberry's masterpiece:

Old 10-23-2020, 09:15 AM   #169
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

That crooked teeth shirt is an embarrassment.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:14 AM   #170
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

A t-shirt referencing a line nobody remembers, from a song which has dated poorly and video nobody really liked.

I'm starting to think my feelings on the Pumpkins are too negative even for Netphoria.

Old 10-23-2020, 11:17 AM   #171
Ram27
dumb

i bet she downloaded that font off a google search two minutes before opening MS Word to make that

Old 10-23-2020, 11:20 AM   #172
Ram27
dumb

we all want you to change since 1993

you're all whores and i'm a fag since 1996

suck you like the sap from a tree since 1997

enchanted in the rapture of your sentimental sway since 2000

Old 10-23-2020, 12:31 PM   #173
dustrocck
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
A t-shirt referencing a line nobody remembers, from a song which has dated poorly and video nobody really liked.

I'm starting to think my feelings on the Pumpkins are too negative even for Netphoria.
"I'll always be your whore" would have worked better.

Old 10-23-2020, 12:46 PM   #174
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Remember when Trent Reznor did this as an April Fools joke:

Billy did it for real.

Old 10-24-2020, 01:00 PM   #175
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

I am all in on the Bill ride, shit is fun.

Old 10-24-2020, 06:24 PM   #176
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

It's getting bad, that zoom q and a was total embarrassment .

Old 10-24-2020, 09:30 PM   #177
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDogGlynis View Post
It's getting bad, that zoom q and a was total embarrassment .
How so, didn't watch it

Old 10-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #178
Candy Cane
Demi-God

Location: Where the willows weep and the whirpools sleep you'll find me.

Smashing Pumpkins are dead to me.

The new releases are always bland shit. The last good album was Machina.

I rarely listen to Smashing Pumpkins, Alice In Chains and Nirvana anymore, my three favourite bands for a long time.

Generally music just isn't exciting anymore when you get to a certain age. I just listened to Marliyn Manson's new album today and...meh.

I won't be posting on Netphoria ever again. This is my last post.

Goodbye guys, it's been fun trolling you, trolling Billy and vice versa.

Forever your servant,
Candy Cane.

EDIT: Just watched the Cyr video for the first time. LOL.

Last edited by Candy Cane : 10-25-2020 at 12:42 PM. Reason: LULZ

Old 10-25-2020, 01:36 PM   #179
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

so you're just going to keep editing your "last" post, forever?

ok, whatever you prefer, candy cane. if that is in fact your real name.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:39 PM   #180
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

That Zoom might’ve been the last nail
He’s just methodically destroying everything I love about this band
I mean the guy essentially said the music isn’t sincere, it’s just to sell records. And like I said obviously I know that and you gotta make a living but dude...keep that to yourself, some of these songs mean something to us.