Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2017, 10:06 PM   #1
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Default Jimmy Chamberlin: Interview with WGN Radio 2017/06/27

A new interview of Jimmy Chamberlin, back in Chicago, with Justin Kaufmann from WGN Radio:
“When we got together and started playing you knew it was going to be a great crazy dangerous ride.”

http://wgnradio.com/2017/06/27/smash...angerous-ride/

Smashing Pumpkins drummer Jimmy Chamberlin joins Justin to talk about his great career in music, how he grew up playing jazz music, what he learned from jazz that is still with him today, auditioning for the Smashing Pumpkins, the transition the band was making from “Gish” to their major label debut, “Siamese Dream,” going from local darlings to being one of the biggest rock bands in the world, his well-documented battles with addiction, the relationship between rock and roll and drug addiction, the bond he shares with Billy Corgan, the current state of the music industry, the importance of discipline, hard work and practice, the challenge of returning to jazz music after years of playing with Smashing Pumpkins and how he is preparing for the next Smashing Pumpkins tour.

https://tribwgnam.files.wordpress.co...chamberlin.jpg

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 06-27-2017 at 11:03 PM.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:41 PM   #2
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
The role of the swing drummer is really to be a part of the narrative...and that's something I keep with me today....when you listen to a Pumpkins drum part, you should be able to identify that song; it should be as identifiable as the verse or the chorus
It's weird listening to 1979 or Cherub Rock bootlegs: some people will cheer at the opening drum riff, but the majority only cheers once the guitar comes in

Quote:
Jazz to me is a very sacred space...it really demands a lot of dedication...you don't come off a Pumpkins tour and go play the Green Mill....I took about a year, a year and a half, and really just worked up to the point where I felt like I could at least come in and hold my own
Quote:
Drumming is a long, slow arc...that's the great thing about drums, it's just never over.
Quote:
What was great about it, from a drummer's standpoint, is we were really catching a wave. Me, Steve Perkins from Jane's, Grohl, Matt Cameron...we were gonna be the guys to eliminate hair metal, we were gonna play this polyrhythmic, syncopated, cool stuff with lead guitar solos.
Quote:
Could you feel the excitement and anticipation around the possibility of having something worthwhile in Siamese Dream?

It's really not that palpable in the moment. We knew that we were good, we knew that we were dangerous. I knew that I could play. I knew that Geek USA was gonna be a rollercoaster ride that most people hadn't been exposed to. I knew that songs like Soma were gonna catch people off guard, songs like Disarm. We had a deep bench, because of Billy's ability to write both things that were very symphonic, and things that were kinda rooted in Judas Priest. The parameters in which we could operate were so wide, because I could go from brushes to 2Bs in a heartbeat, we could roll songs like Soma out, or Mayonaise, and go to a Geek USA, which a lot of bands really couldn't....when people ask me 'what parts were most challenging?', it was really songs that were more symphonic, like Tonight Tonight, or Porcelina, or those types of songs that really required you to come up with things that were compelling.
Quote:
The thing they don't prepare you for in rock and roll school, when you sign up as a teenager, is the other 22 hours of the day. You're in a very high octane emotional state, because of your job -- that's your job, to be in that state, and create in that state. So you have a lot of that stuff on tap, which doesn't really prepare you for the world everybody else lives in. ....I don't drink or smoke or anything, for 15+ years now, when my daughter, my oldest was born, my wife and I decided we would raise our kids without escapism. Nobody tells you what they did after they got to the top of Everest.
Quote:
Was that a good time, when you look back, playing in front of thousands of people?
It's a transformative time. .... So when I look at that stuff, I say, yeah, it was awful. My father died, I went into a tailspin, I didn't know any other way to deal with it, there was no one to talk to, my bandmates and I didn't have that type of relationship, management was not interested in anything that didn't make money. The more excess you create, the more record you sell, the more magazine covers you get on, you become more of a celebrity by being more of a jackass, and all of that stuff just adds up to this cauldron of your responsibility.

Last edited by Ram27 : 06-27-2017 at 11:54 PM.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:59 PM   #3
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
The danger is that you wake up and realize what a hollow existence it is, and you say, all the things that have become accolades really have no value. Unless you're prepared to take it back to your relationship with your instrument, which is a sacred space, and say that my life is going to be rooted in this relationship; that's really the only way to be an artist. You can't be an artist relying on peripheral metrics, because once you start relying on peripheral metrics, that are quantifying your existence from outside, you're going to be second guessing and re-second guessing your own value.
someone send that to billy

Old 06-28-2017, 12:04 AM   #4
Ram27
dumb

the way he talks about current SP, it kinda sounds like a full, proper reunion

Old 06-28-2017, 03:22 AM   #5
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post

http://i.imgur.com/upYag98.png

Old 06-28-2017, 04:53 AM   #6
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Jimmy:

"We were talking about playing next year with the band and somebody asked me, you know, 'what's it like to coordinate that?'. I said 'it's like Grumpy Old Men 3, only there's three grumpy old men and one's a woman'. That's how it has gotten to be."

...of course the interviewer didn't ask the obvious follow-up question: 'So D'Arcy is going to join the band next year?'

---

Jimmy:

"Do I potentially record some more music? Hell yeah, it's super fun. When Billy and I get together, amazing things happen."

Old 06-28-2017, 10:24 AM   #7
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Well, fucking A. Make it happen. I'm looking forward to it.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:52 AM   #8
myosis
Minion of Satan

so when was the last time the SP bassist was not a woman?

Old 06-28-2017, 11:00 AM   #9
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Flashback (2016):

"Now, in a new interview with BlastEcho, Wretzky revealed that she’s been asked four times to rejoin the band and would “consider going back.”

“Circumstances would have to be a certain way,” she said of a potential reunion. “It’s much too complicated.” Wretzky added that she hasn’t spoken to Corgan personally since she was fired from the band in 1999. She does, however, remain in contact with Iha and called his recent onstage collaborations with Corgan “really healthy.” Perhaps Iha can bridge the relationship between Corgan and Wretzky as Duff McKagan did for Axl Rose and Slash?

Elsewhere in the interview, the first she’s given in several years, Wretzky claimed she is “healthier now than she’s even been,” adding that her life is full of “weekend-warrior” activities, including hang-gliding, skydiving and scuba diving.

Update – Monday, May 2nd at 4:55 p.m. CT: In a new Facebook posting, Corgan wished Wretzky a happy birthday, adding, “I’m encouraged to hear that she is playing music once more, and writing songs. As I’ve often said, no one had better musical discernment in our band than she.”

Regarding the future of Smashing Pumpkins, Corgan wrote, “It’s crazy to think that it was nearly 30 years ago that I began this wild and wooly journey, and that meeting James, then D’arcy, then Jimmy would alter all of our lives forever; for the better, I would argue. Which I suppose makes the hardships that came too, bittersweet. And as I feel speculation start to swirl about what happens next for SP, I’d like to say quite simply and directly that what matters most to Jeff and I is the music. Because from our darkest days together over the last 10 years it’s been our faith that the music we make, and by extension our loving curation of the songs made from the beginning on, that’d sail this old, creaky ship forward to another year.” "

https://consequenceofsound.net/2016/...hing-pumpkins/

Old 06-28-2017, 02:22 PM   #10
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
so when was the last time the SP bassist was not a woman?
Since Nicole left. When was that, 2013? After that we got Mark Stoermer and Jack Bates.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:00 PM   #11
glass85
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Since Nicole left. When was that, 2013? After that we got Mark Stoermer and Jack Bates.
Yes, but also Katie Cole and Sierra Swan played bass on Plainsong tours.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:48 PM   #12
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass85 View Post
Yes, but also Katie Cole and Sierra Swan played bass on Plainsong tours.
You're right, their playing completely negates the previous point.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:49 PM   #13
Insight_Scoop
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
Yeah, caught my ear because that was an unsolicited signal. As in, the interviewer did not ask WHO Jimmy was talking about playing with, and then Jimmy went right into that. Kinda surreal.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:34 AM   #14
Bomb The Moon
Demi-God

perhaps this recent period of silence is being spent whipping everybody (darcy?) into shape for a proper SP reunion?

Old 06-29-2017, 10:18 AM   #15
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

"Smashing Pumpkins Member Hints At 2018 Reunion Tour"

https://www.alternativenation.net/sm...-reunion-tour/

---

"Smashing Pumpkins’ drummer hints at 2018 reunion for original line-up"

http://www.nme.com/news/music/smashi...l-line-2095998

---

"Jimmy Chamberlin Hints At Smashing Pumpkins Reunion Tour"

http://www.stereogum.com/1949553/jim...ion-tour/news/

---

"SMASHING PUMPKINS Drummer Hints At 2018 Reunion Tour Featuring Original Lineup"

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sma...Czd58kj2GHX.99

Old 06-29-2017, 10:19 AM   #16
Kahlo

NME are touting it as an original re-union. I'd put money on

James, Jimmy, BC and MADM though. D'Arcy won't be coming back.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:19 PM   #17
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

MaDM retired 5 years ago now. She hasn't played the bass and has has no interest in playing music again.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:19 PM   #18
myosis
Minion of Satan

we used to say that of d'arcy

Old 06-29-2017, 04:33 PM   #19
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

...check out Jimmy's garden:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BV7otFbD7Gq/

http://i.imgur.com/QJwx0xF.jpg

Old 06-29-2017, 04:36 PM   #20
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

https://twitter.com/theheavyjamz/sta...66212016861185

It also looks like Chamberlin responded to one of Matt Sweeney's tweets; crazy shit.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:30 PM   #21
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

http://i.imgur.com/BKGRSgc.png

Old 06-29-2017, 07:08 PM   #22
Disco King
Minion of Satan

If they want this to last, they should probably never, ever hang out with each other, except for when they're playing music.

As soon as things don't go his way, Corgan is sure to have a tantrum that will drudge up drama from two decades ago.

Even though I've heard that Iha and Chamberlin also hate each other, they at least seem like relatively normal human beings who could probably have a professional relationship despite that, or maybe even see past old slights and not be bitter about shit from the '90s.

Corgan, though, probably has a personality disorder and doesn't quite seem to be able to distinguish between "I just had a negative interaction with this person" and "this person is out to get me and is literally Satan."

Also, don't expect any new music. Or, at the least, any good new music. The reunion will be for the nostalgia of seeing the old crew back together, but pretty much the only member of the band who still seems to be in top-form as a musician is Chamberlin. Corgan has been a shit songwriter for as long as he was ever a good one at this point.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:57 PM   #23
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
If they want this to last, they should probably never, ever hang out with each other, except for when they're playing music.

As soon as things don't go his way, Corgan is sure to have a tantrum that will drudge up drama from two decades ago.
Oh, if.....if this happens I don't think its supposed to last. make some new music. maybe get a few good songs. do a reunion tour, try to get a descent slot at some festivals which pay more money than your typical shows. Get one last cash grab and get out. Maybe Bolly does some solo stuff after that.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:52 PM   #24
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post

Even though I've heard that Iha and Chamberlin also hate each other, they at least seem like relatively normal human beings who could probably have a professional relationship despite that, or maybe even see past old slights and not be bitter about shit from the '90s.

Corgan, though, probably has a personality disorder and doesn't quite seem to be able to distinguish between "I just had a negative interaction with this person" and "this person is out to get me and is literally Satan."

Also, don't expect any new music. Or, at the least, any good new music. The reunion will be for the nostalgia of seeing the old crew back together, but pretty much the only member of the band who still seems to be in top-form as a musician is Chamberlin. Corgan has been a shit songwriter for as long as he was ever a good one at this point.
I'd probably go see them if they'd play here but i think it will have imploded before they get that far. Would love to see what happens after that

Old 06-29-2017, 11:48 PM   #25
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

this reunion will still sound like shit, guys, get over it.

as long as the singer is the same person who recorded Zeitgeist, it will never sound like it once did.

but that's fine with me. i want the reunion to happen, but not because i'll ever get to see them (probably) and not because i'm in it for the music anymore.

i'm happy for all four of them, as people, though, for finally being in that place of wanting closure and peace in their lives. it would be great to see them playing again together and not hating every minute of it after so many years of seeing and hearing shit being tossed around, usually from Corgan's end.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:05 AM   #26
TuralyonW3
Immortal

-lol why the hell would Billy come back with Auf Der Maur? She's cool I guess (and hot unf) but like anyone would give a shit, she was in the band for 3 months

-where was it said that Jimmy and James hated each other?

Old 06-30-2017, 04:58 AM   #27
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
-
I remember two particular quotes

@ the Chris Isaak Hour

"Chamberlin also makes some petty comments about former bandmates James Iha and Darcy Wretzky, claiming their only contribution to the band was “high fashion” and implying they didn’t know how to play their instruments."

I also remember Jimmy saying on one of his drum clinics circa 2013 that James and D'Arcy didn't want him in the band and he didn't want them in the band.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:43 AM   #28
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
I remember two particular quotes

@ the Chris Isaak Hour

"Chamberlin also makes some petty comments about former bandmates James Iha and Darcy Wretzky, claiming their only contribution to the band was “high fashion” and implying they didn’t know how to play their instruments."

I also remember Jimmy saying on one of his drum clinics circa 2013 that James and D'Arcy didn't want him in the band and he didn't want them in the band.

>>>

https://youtu.be/0rtJSTp-VVA?t=7m55s

Old 06-30-2017, 10:16 AM   #29
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
-lol why the hell would Billy come back with Auf Der Maur? She's cool I guess (and hot unf) but like anyone would give a shit, she was in the band for 3 months

jimmy is subtle but in multiple interviews i got the impression he didn't respect james' musicianship at all and was more in the billy camp. it was like d'arcy and james vs. billy and jimmy.

this is all speculative though, probably. who knows how things really went down

Old 06-30-2017, 10:56 AM   #30
Ram27
dumb

I think you're right. It's disappointing. A lot of the stuff he talks about in this interview about what makes the Pumpkins special is because of James' influence -- notice how that stuff was entirely missing from Zeitgeist, and what a shit album that was.

Quote:
The parameters in which we could operate were so wide...we could roll songs like Soma out, or Mayonaise, and go to a Geek USA, which a lot of bands really couldn't....
http://i.imgur.com/hoSRrf7.png