Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2019, 06:16 PM   #151
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Talking

Old 10-07-2019, 06:50 PM   #152
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
But if I only listen to muse because I love black holes and revelations and only listen to the Pumpkins because I love Machina, and the latter is not available on Spotify, I will probably not listen to the Pumpkins on Spotify.

Besides, the average muse fan is way younger than the average Pumpkins fan. I know a lot of Pumpkins that done listen to music online at all.
i listen to a lot of music online, the netphoria.org RealAudio fucking rules!

Old 10-07-2019, 11:35 PM   #153
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
But if I only listen to muse because I love black holes and revelations and only listen to the Pumpkins because I love Machina, and the latter is not available on Spotify, I will probably not listen to the Pumpkins on Spotify.

Besides, the average muse fan is way younger than the average Pumpkins fan. I know a lot of Pumpkins that done listen to music online at all.
Yeah, because I'm sure there's just millions of fans on Spotify dying to listen to Machina

Newsflash, nobody besides the hardcore fans gives a single fuck about Machina

Old 10-07-2019, 11:37 PM   #154
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

well it's available on Spotify so as far as i'm concerned your stupid post is nothing more than Shallowed bait

Old 10-08-2019, 02:38 AM   #155
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

Well, SP released their first album in 1991, peaked in 1995, and by 2000s begun to become a distant memory whereas Muse released their first album in 1999 and only got bigger and bigger over time, so yes, Muse will have younger fans. Muse has yet to have the post-2000 fade out that SP had. Many SP fans are older because they come from the period in the 90s when they had popular releases whereas Muse are still releasing charting albums and doesn't seem to have released a dud yet. Am I a fan of Muse's releases from Black Holes and on, no. Last album I enjoyed from front to back was Absolution. But that doesn't change that their later albums had even bigger success than the earlier albums that earlier hardcore fans praise. With SP, it's the opposite as in their later albums weren't mainstream successes. Sure, Shiny And Bright had some media buzz for a bit when it came out, but interest in it was quickly lost. Actually, it seems Muse's Simulation Theory was the first time where it felt the buzzing surrounding the album faded somewhat quickly. Their previous albums had a much longer lasting period in the mainstream.

Even if Machina becomes available on Spotify, you ain't going to see a huge uptick in listeners. The album was a failure. If you are a SP fan and on Spotify, you're already a listener. Machina ain't gonna change a thing. I have never met an SP fan that was ONLY a Machina fan. That album was the beginning of the end. And to be honest, even as a single disc, it's still a bloated mess with some terrible production and track choices. Billy would have to completely remix the album from the ground up to get any sort of mainstream support as the production of Machina is a mess.

Back in 2016...
Muse play record breaking show with Drones tour at The O2
https://www.gigwise.com/news/106530/...-the-o2-london

How Muse Became One of the World’s Biggest Rock Bands
https://www.vulture.com/2018/11/how-...ock-bands.html

SP versus Muse... hands down, Muse is the bigger band.
And this is not because I'm some Muse fan. I'll take Gish, SD, PI, MCIS, Adore over any of Muse's albums any day. But I'm not blind to their success. I'm actually a big fan of electronic music, probably why I love Adore, but to be honest, I wish Muse would go back to their older rock sound.

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 10-08-2019 at 02:56 AM.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:25 AM   #156
trev
charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
And this is not because I'm some Muse fan. I'll take SD, PI, MCIS, over any of Muse's albums any day. But I'm not blind to their success.

I wish Muse would go back to their older rock sound.
completely agree on this.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:54 AM   #157
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Well, SP released their first album in 1991, peaked in 1995, and by 2000s begun to become a distant memory whereas Muse released their first album in 1999 and only got bigger and bigger over time, so yes, Muse will have younger fans. Muse has yet to have the post-2000 fade out that SP had. Many SP fans are older because they come from the period in the 90s when they had popular releases whereas Muse are still releasing charting albums and doesn't seem to have released a dud yet. Am I a fan of Muse's releases from Black Holes and on, no. Last album I enjoyed from front to back was Absolution. But that doesn't change that their later albums had even bigger success than the earlier albums that earlier hardcore fans praise. With SP, it's the opposite as in their later albums weren't mainstream successes. Sure, Shiny And Bright had some media buzz for a bit when it came out, but interest in it was quickly lost. Actually, it seems Muse's Simulation Theory was the first time where it felt the buzzing surrounding the album faded somewhat quickly. Their previous albums had a much longer lasting period in the mainstream.

Even if Machina becomes available on Spotify, you ain't going to see a huge uptick in listeners. The album was a failure. If you are a SP fan and on Spotify, you're already a listener. Machina ain't gonna change a thing. I have never met an SP fan that was ONLY a Machina fan. That album was the beginning of the end. And to be honest, even as a single disc, it's still a bloated mess with some terrible production and track choices. Billy would have to completely remix the album from the ground up to get any sort of mainstream support as the production of Machina is a mess.

Back in 2016...
Muse play record breaking show with Drones tour at The O2
https://www.gigwise.com/news/106530/...-the-o2-london

How Muse Became One of the World’s Biggest Rock Bands
https://www.vulture.com/2018/11/how-...ock-bands.html

And this is not because I'm some Muse fan. I'll take Gish, SD, PI, MCIS, Adore over any of Muse's albums any day. But I'm not blind to their success. I'm actually a big fan of electronic music, probably why I love Adore, but to be honest, I wish Muse would go back to their older rock sound.
The point here is you're comparing Spotify listeners, which is not a simple comparation to do. Period. One the numbers are open to analyses, two It doesn't exactly mean one is bigger or more successful than other.

How do you measure success anyways? Would you say Coldplay is bigger than the Beatles?

in-Collage-20191008-102328440

Or even

Screenshot-20191008-103816-com-spotify-music

Last edited by Forgotten Child : 10-08-2019 at 05:08 AM.

Old 10-08-2019, 05:35 AM   #158
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
The point here is you're comparing Spotify listeners, which is not a simple comparation to do. Period. One the numbers are open to analyses, two It doesn't exactly mean one is bigger or more successful than other.

How do you measure success anyways? Would you say Coldplay is bigger than the Beatles?

in-Collage-20191008-102328440

Or even

No, the point being that this all started as a response to this post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
I disagree that MUSE is as big as SP. MUSE never captured a cultural zeitgeist the way MCIS did in 1995. SP were the biggest band in the world at the time hands down. They sold more records than MUSE. I guarantee you more people know the name Smashing Pumpkins than MUSE. Also SP weren't blatantly ripping off other bands for their sound. MUSE has been mercilessly ripping off Queen and Radiohead since day one.
And my posts were pointing out that simply using album sales to determine popularity doesn't work anymore and how when Muse was only starting, the Pumpkins were already drastically fading in popularity, and physical albums were become a thing of the past when Muse became popular worldwide. Streaming has taken over. Nowhere here am I saying Spotify is the definitive answer, just showing that even with all of SP's album sales, they don't have as many listeners.

SP's latest musical videos for Solara and Silvery Sometimes got around 1.5-2.2 million views. Muse's latest videos 5.6 million to 14 million views.

And course, Coldplay ain't bigger than The Beatles.

But come on, Muse are clearly bigger than SP and have had a longer run in the mainstream than SP did. Even now, SP can't even play certain countries because they can't get the numbers to work. Why? Because the demand is not there. Whereas Muse is touring and selling out all over the world and have been doing so for quite some time. Muse are also attracting a younger audience that keeps their popularity going. SP had their peak for a few years whereas Muse has been doing great for a over decade.

All of these factors come into play.

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 10-08-2019 at 05:44 AM.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #159
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Muse’s last three albums have all been flops essentially. Compared to the album with that terrible Uprising song which was ten years ago they haven’t had a notable hit since then. They are entering the legacy act phase.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:58 AM   #160
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
No, the point being that this all started as a response to this post...

And my posts were pointing out that simply using album sales to determine popularity doesn't work anymore and how when Muse was only starting, the Pumpkins were already drastically fading in popularity, and physical albums were become a thing of the past when Muse became popular worldwide. Streaming has taken over. Nowhere here am I saying Spotify is the definitive answer, just showing that even with all of SP's album sales, they don't have as many listeners.

SP's latest musical videos for Solara and Silvery Sometimes got around 1.5-2.2 million views. Muse's latest videos 5.6 million to 14 million views.

And course, Coldplay ain't bigger than The Beatles.

But come on, Muse are clearly bigger than SP and have had a longer run in the mainstream than SP did. Even now, SP can't even play certain countries because they can't get the numbers to work. Why? Because the demand is not there. Whereas Muse is touring and selling out all over the world and have been doing so for quite some time. Muse are also attracting a younger audience that keeps their popularity going. SP had their peak for a few years whereas Muse has been doing great for a over decade.

All of these factors come into play.
You see, by "bigger" you mean "more popular". I wouldn't disagree with that. But I would say SP is bigger than Muse exactly because they helped shaping music, they were not only popular, but also influential, able to capture a cultural movement and be part of that.

MBV is not actually big in terms of popularity, but how many (popular) bands only exist/ed because of them? Even The Cure was influenced by loveless.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #161
FoolofaTook

Angry

If there was no Muse, there would be no Radiohead!

What do you think about that, fool?

Last edited by FoolofaTook : 10-08-2019 at 01:21 PM. Reason: got radiohead mixed up with coldplay

Old 10-08-2019, 03:27 PM   #162
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
If there was no Muse, there would be no Radiohead!

What do you think about that, fool?
who would have thought a thread with as promising a concept as "D'arcy responds to Noel Gallagher insult" would devolve into such foolery

Old 10-08-2019, 03:28 PM   #163
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

if there was no coldplay there'd be no jeff buckley

Old 10-08-2019, 06:04 PM   #164
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Muse’s last three albums have all been flops essentially. Compared to the album with that terrible Uprising song which was ten years ago they haven’t had a notable hit since then. They are entering the legacy act phase.
Flops? The only album that was somewhat a flop was their latest album Simulation Theory, which did not chart or sell as high. What you said is a great opinion piece and do some actual research and you will see.

Absolution
#1 in UK, #107 in US, and in top 20 in numerous countries
1 million in US, 948k in UK, France not listed, 1 million Europe

Black Holes & Revelations
#1 in UK, #9 in US, In top 5 in numerous other countries
1 million in US. 1.1 million in UK, 300k in France, 2 million Europe

The Resistance
#1 in UK, #2 in US as well as #1 in numerous other countries
1 million in US, 780k in UK, 845k in France, 2 million Europe

The 2nd Law
#1 in UK, #2 in US as well as #1 in numerous other countries
500k in US, 300k in UK, 480k in France, 1 million Europe

Drones
#1 in both US and UK as well as #1 in numerous other countries
US not listed, 230k in UK, 200k in France, 1.1 million worldwide

Simulation Theory
#1 in UK, #12 in UK, in top 20 in numerous countries.
US not listed, 100k in UK, 100k in France

A bit too quick to say that they are in their legacy phase over their previous album still doing pretty good and their latest album not being a hit. Whereas SP has a much bigger fall off between MCIS and Adore. Even these Muse albums that you claim to be in their "legacy phase" are still charting higher and outsellling SP's legacy phase albums.

Quote:
You see, by "bigger" you mean "more popular". I wouldn't disagree with that. But I would say SP is bigger than Muse exactly because they helped shaping music, they were not only popular, but also influential, able to capture a cultural movement and be part of that.

MBV is not actually big in terms of popularity, but how many (popular) bands only exist/ed because of them? Even The Cure was influenced by loveless.
I see what you're saying, but Muse are still a bit of a newer band compared to SP. We haven't really felt their influence yet. SP peaked 25 years ago whereas Muse hit their stride around 12 years ago. Also, Muse did tap into the social/political climate and one of the big reasons they got as big as they did as their music is aware of the world around them.

I would say MBV had more influence on music than either SP or Muse.

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 10-08-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:10 PM   #165
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

poll: Weezer vs Muse

Old 10-08-2019, 06:14 PM   #166
FoolofaTook

MAKE A THREAD THAN

Old 10-08-2019, 06:19 PM   #167
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

I'll leave that to you plebs

Old 10-08-2019, 06:20 PM   #168
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

THE NEED FOR LOUD PLEBS

Old 10-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #169
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
poll: Weezer vs Muse
I'll take Muse if I'm honest. Weezer just reminds me of some meme band. Their hit songs keep trying so hard to capture the hipster youth. I just could never get into them after Buddy Holly and Hash Pipe and Island In The Sun. I find those songs grating.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:29 PM   #170
trev
charm

big doesn't mean influential, heaps of unpopular artists have been influential to others.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:38 PM   #171
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

Muse is and has always been the biggest band in the world and I will kill myself on Instagram Live, tagging Billy and Jack, if anyone says otherwise

I hope this settles things

Old 10-08-2019, 06:47 PM   #172
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy says he loves Muse...
https://rock947.com/news/articles/20...mpkins-covers/

Old 10-08-2019, 09:59 PM   #173
trev
charm

they were awesome, cherub sounded better than any sp2+ version!

Old 10-09-2019, 01:03 AM   #174
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev View Post
they were awesome, cherub sounded better than any sp2+ version!
Zero at 11:39

When Muse play SP songs better than SP now
Someone call Chino to join Muse and only perform SP songs

Old 10-09-2019, 02:32 PM   #175
myosis
Minion of Satan

if they have a half-hour SP tribute during their set i'll go see Muse

Old 10-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #176
FoolofaTook

Famous occultist Aleister Crowley contracted gonorrhea as a teenager. Or, as Crowley later wrote in the margin of one of his own books: “I caught the clap from attending a Muse concert in Glasgow.” The incident led to Crowley getting booted from the Tonbridge School in England. He also later caught syphilis from a different Muse lineup while attending Cambridge.

Birthplace: Leamington Spa, United Kingdom

Old 10-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #177
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

if this is true, well it would be rather large to say the least

Old 10-09-2019, 03:17 PM   #178
FoolofaTook

Old 10-09-2019, 07:15 PM   #179
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
well it's available on Spotify so as far as i'm concerned your stupid post is nothing more than Shallowed bait
Oh I was going off what that guy was blabbering on about, I don't use those intrusive, force-fed streaming platforms.

I'm all about the Soulseek and actually owning physical copies of my music

Old 10-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #180
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:

Or even

Wait a second, is the guy from 3 Doors Down the guy in Imagine Dragons?