Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
Nate the Grate
Minion of Satan

Default Are the Smashing Pumpkins your favorite band? (serious thread!)

If they're not, were they your favorite band at some point? Were they your favorite band when you joined Netphoria? What has changed?

I began thinking about this after making fun of Izzle a while in the "Corgan v. Dylan" thread on the Music Board. I came to the conclusion that I can't blame him for his inane opinions because there was a time when I was as rabid a fan as he is. I remember when I joined Netphoria thinking I could never love a band like I love SP, and I also figured that everyone else loved the band as obsessively as I did. Then, in 2001, I purchased Yankee Hotel Foxtrot by Wilco knowing nothing of the band other than "Jesus, Etc.", which was on some free compilation I got. After that, I pretty much fell in love with Wilco, and their music would become the soundtrack for my high school years. Now I would consider Wilco my favorite band, which is something I would have never thought could be possible when I was obsessed with SP. Over time, my tastes in music have changed, and even though I still have that connection with SP, they're not my favorite band anymore. I honestly can't listen to a song like Zero or XYU without cringing (but it's an appreciative cringe!). It's not that I don't like them anymore, I still do. No song will ever match what Tonight, Tonight and 1979 mean to me. But I don't know, they're not the same to me anymore. I guess I just changed in the 6 years since I started posting here.

So, how bout you?

Old 01-17-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
TuralyonW3
Immortal

XYU is so tight though

Old 01-17-2007, 06:39 PM   #3
hereisnowhy
Minion of Satan

They're still my favourite. Actually, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is one of my favourite non-pumpkins albums. But the pumpkins are my favourite for various reasons:

-- They have a huge catalogue. I don't spend more than an hour or so a day listening to music, so for me to listen to all their stuff would take weeks or months without repeating anything.
--Sentimental value, as you say with 1979 and Tonight Tonight.
--The music has enough depth that I keep finding new things in it. Every time I listen to Mellon Collie or Adore (not just have it on in the background, but really listen) I hear things I've never noticed before, both in the instrumentation and in the lyrics.
--The pumpkins inspired me to learn guitar myself, and I enjoy playing a lot of their songs.
--Corgan can be silly, but simultaneously helps me figure out things about my own life.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:41 PM   #4
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

They are still my favorite band though I don't much care for Billy anymore.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
dudehitscar
Apocalyptic Poster

I was a hard rock junkie in high school. Metallica was my favorite band and I had a variety of other bands that I loved like Nirvana, Soundgarden, White Zombie, Offspring, etc. I had two SP albums but didn't like them very much with the exception of BWBW and Cherub Rock and a couple others. So I never listened to them.

Enter College years and my tastes where blown wide open by working in record store for the last two years of high school. I cared about lyrics a lot ever since Rage Against The Machine and the renewed focus on lyrics allowed me to appreciate a lot of slower stuff. That's when I decided to pop in Siamese Dream for a spin and that changed everything.
Other the next two years I discovered and grew to like almost every era of the band and developed a love for Corgan's music abilities.

Since then my music tastes have changed a lot and am always looking for new things to appreciate but The Smashing Pumpkins always had everything I wanted in a band and therefore remain the best band in the world to me.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:45 PM   #6
Mablak
Minion of Satan

Location: Well, if it isn't my old friend, Mr. McGreg, with a leg for an arm and an arm for a leg!

SP is my favorite band, but I listen to no music. Almost literally NO music. In middle school a lot of my friends and I were into generic alternative bands like everclear, third eye blind, incubus, Nirvana, RATM, sublime, etc, and SP a little. But then everyone's musical tastes evolved a different way... my two main friends started listening to nothing but punk / ska, and try as I might I've never liked a punk band, too much of the same stuff. Same with ska although, it's hard to dislike it. I felt like I was left with nothing to listen to, I stopped liking most of those bands and began to only like the pumpkins, I really listened to nothing else throughout high school. I felt like alternative as a genre had basically become dead, and that there was almost no other genre of music that would work from me, as I attach almost all of the meaning of a song to the lyrics, so I was more and more convinced I'd never like another band again.

So yeah I only like a few bands now, and I don't think I'll ever like a band as much as SP, but I don't have much basis for this considering I reject almost all bands after hearing a few songs by them.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:14 PM   #7
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

honestly, yes. they're the only band i've liked for so long and got into the whole mindset of the band. you know what i'm saying? i mean, the old stuff is what i felt all the emotions attached to it. whatever. i don't know what i'm saying.
they've got a place close to my heart. siempre

Old 01-17-2007, 09:19 PM   #8
Boycott Graceland
Socialphobic

i think they were mine until the zwan album came out. then i was all "WTF?"

i believe i've been registered on here under one name or another since 1999. i remember reading about darcy's crack arrest for the first time on these boards.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:43 PM   #9
j u n e
Apocalyptic Poster

smashing pumpkins are my favorite band.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:49 PM   #10
Izzle
Banned

there are alot of bands and different kinds of music that i love, but when i listen to any of them, even if i shut the door, close my eyes and forget everything else, and just listen as intently and sincerely as i can...it takes alot for that music to make me feel anything.

when i listen to the pumpkins though...i feel everything. right away. there's a truth and power in their music that i just don't believe exists anywhere else.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:51 PM   #11
Ever
Minion of Satan

Yeah pumpkins are. You can't erase past glory even if you can't recreate it later.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:53 PM   #12
<sp3

been my favorite band since 6th grade, that was 13 years ago. That was right about the time i started actually listening to music for the first time, other than what was just on the radio, and it was right around the MCIS era. I can still vividly remember the first time i heard Bullet with Butterfly Wings on the radio, which made me run out and get the album (on tape).

Old 01-17-2007, 09:54 PM   #13
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

I like what someone else said...when listened to carefully, the songs always open up in new ways. Just the other day I was in my bed, and listening to Beautiful, and it was like I heard it for the first time.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:49 PM   #14
aztec litany service
Apocalyptic Poster

yeah

Old 01-17-2007, 10:51 PM   #15
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

They were the first band I really discovered and fell in love with totally on my own and for that reason alone they will always rank pretty high up there. Before that, a lot of the music I listened to was older music my parents had introduced me to and was all over the place otherwise, sampling different kinds of newer music but nothing really stuck. I heard a lot but never really connected with any of it. Then I heard the Pumpkins when I was twelve and something just clicked. I wasn't just a casual listener anymore, I absorbed. I discovered so many other bands, great bands, because of them and had I not connected with them all the music I listen to would still be thirty years old. A large chunk of it still is, but the Pumpkins really got me looking into newer stuff.

While I don't listen to them as often anymore, I will still always remember playing Siamese Dream on my shitty boombox and having my dad ask me what the hell I was listening to. When I told him he listened for a minute, scoffed and said, "Hmph. Jimi Hendrix did that thirty years ago and did it better." The difference was Jimi Hendrix was his and the Pumpkins were mine. So, yeah, in a way I guess they will always be for sentimental reasons, even if I don't listen to "Soma" fifty times a day anymore.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:56 PM   #16
neopryn
let's see your penis!

No. They weren't my first favorite band either, R.E.M. was. But I was pretty obsessed with them from about '97-'01. I don't really have a favorite band anymore but I don't think I will ever like a band as much as I liked them.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:57 PM   #17
neopryn
let's see your penis!

and everytime there's a "list your favorite albums" thread, MCIS is always #1. even though i never listen to it or any Pumpkins anymore I can't imagine ever putting another album in that spot.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:33 PM   #18
Nate the Grate
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopryn
and everytime there's a "list your favorite albums" thread, MCIS is always #1. even though i never listen to it or any Pumpkins anymore I can't imagine ever putting another album in that spot.
Same here. Don't know why, I just wouldn't feel right putting something other than MCIS at #1. Even though I never listen to it anymore. Hmm.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:39 PM   #19
vanilla
Minion of Satan

yes, they always will be. right now my like current favorite band is Sigur Ros.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:42 PM   #20
benjamin619
Apocalyptic Poster

They'll always be my favorite band, the way Padington will always be my favorite bear. But I don't spend too much time with either, anymore.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:09 AM   #21
<sp3

still to this day, i would have to say i listen to the pumpkins for a minimum of 20 hours per week. Not that i just sit there and listen and do nothing else.. ill put it on at work, while i surf the net.. etc.. but i haven’t stopped listening since i started as a 6th grader. Kinda obsessed i guess..

To me the pumpkins are just the only band that never gets old. Aside from their massive library of music, i hear different songs in different ways every time i hear them, depending on my mood. The connotation associated with different songs reminds me of old times.. spanning more than half of my life time.

I cant get enough. I find myself getting giddy like a school girl at the thought of having a new album and seing them live at some point this year.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:14 AM   #22
Averageprheight
Banned

Basically it's like this for me:

1.Smashing Pumpkins

2. Led Zeppelin

3. Pink Floyd
4. The Mars Volta/Rage Against The Machine
5. Mewithoutyou/Dredg/Porcupine Tree/Third Eye Blind

I don't listen to SP as much anymore just because those albums are like friggen sacred to me.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:18 AM   #23
Rarely
Shh

used to be

i've learned to not be such a fanboy and understand that many other bands are better than the sp

Old 01-18-2007, 12:25 AM   #24
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

They will always, always be my favorite band. Their music changed my life and it is meaningful to me on more levels than I can describe. My second favorite band is probably Pearl Jam or Soundgarden, and I don't like them even remotely as much as I like the Pumpkins.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:31 AM   #25
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin619
always be my favorite bear. But I don't spend too much time with either, anymore.
did the bear maul someone and they had to put it down?

Old 01-18-2007, 12:33 AM   #26
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

MCIS definately holds favorite album for me, I don't know about favorite band.. They definately were for a while my favorite band and for absolute sure turned me onto some great music and lead me down the path I'm in musically

Old 01-18-2007, 01:03 AM   #27
Mablak
Minion of Satan

Location: Well, if it isn't my old friend, Mr. McGreg, with a leg for an arm and an arm for a leg!

Well I'm sure the fact that SP has been dead for 6-7 years plays into it

Old 01-18-2007, 01:36 AM   #28
hereisnowhy
Minion of Satan

This calls for a new poll thread!

2007 will see the Smashing Pumpkins revive in a manner reminiscent of:
A) A phoenix
B) A zombie

Old 01-18-2007, 01:47 AM   #29
neopryn
let's see your penis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciGarki
some of you who no longer listen to the pumpkins or don't have a favorite band, has music become less important in your life? is it less theraputic, or just not as nessasary? as we get older i can see some of us who grew up in the ninties with the pumpkins and who are now in our out of college "using" music differently.
no, i listen to music more than ever

Old 01-18-2007, 01:54 AM   #30
Thomas
Demi-God

Smashing Pumpkins is my favorite band, then comes Tool and... a lot of bands.