Old 08-30-2018, 04:19 PM   #61
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

"Courtney's legacy..."

The fuck,?

Old 08-30-2018, 04:48 PM   #62
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

If you unironically prefer Hole to Nirvana it shows you have shit taste and probably still haven't gotten over your riot grrrl phase even in your mid-30's. I mean, you actually must like Kurt's songwriting if you enjoy Live Through This, right?

Old 08-30-2018, 06:17 PM   #63
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

This version is my favourite

She's like a sacrificial lamb of sorts...and a kind of troll...like, she causes things like this thread, where women get to see what men are made of, and which ones to avoid. I'm grateful to her, for that.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:28 PM   #64
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Soaked in Bleach

Old 08-30-2018, 09:10 PM   #65
HerVelvetSpleen
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_princess View Post
Of
I also unironically prefer Hole to Nirvana!
#riotgrrrls4life

Old 08-30-2018, 10:57 PM   #66
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Soaked in Bleach
You mean that fictionalized drama film?

Old 08-31-2018, 12:18 AM   #67
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

What part was fiction? The part where she lied on the phone about where the note was found?

Old 09-14-2018, 07:01 AM   #68
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Interview with Melissa about that tribute:

https://www.stereogum.com/2014140/au...ses/interview/

Quote:
STEREOGUM: Another anniversary this year was Smashing Pumpkins’ 30th. You were there at almost the beginning and, sort of, one of the endings.

AUF DER MAUR: I didn’t realize it was their 30th, I just all the sudden saw they were playing Madison Square Garden. I was like, “Oh, whoa, how did that happen? And James is part of it!?” Especially because I don’t read news online. I read local newspapers. I didn’t know it was happening until recently. I mean, yeah, full-circle in terms of that band. That’s a band that changed my life. It was in 1991. So their 30 years, what’re they saying is their 30 years?

STEREOGUM: They’re going back to a gig in 1988.

AUF DER MAUR: Right. So I met them in ’91, and then my band in Montreal opened up for them on the Siamese Dream tour in 1994. That band and Billy Corgan are single-handedly some of the most influential turning points in my life as a musician. Their legacy isn’t in the gutters of YouTube. He hasn’t stopped. He just keeps going in these strange, new versions. I am not in touch with them. But that’s not necessarily a bad thing. It’s just … maybe he doesn’t use the internet, either, I don’t know. I’m happy they’re playing the hits for the diehard fans. They were playing in Montreal, but I was on an island of 200 people in the Baltic Sea playing a silent film festival score. [Laughs] It was the same week, otherwise I would’ve gone to the show in Montreal. I would’ve liked to have seen it.

STEREOGUM: So you have similarly warm feelings towards the past there as you do Hole.

AUF DER MAUR: Truly that band, that album Gish, changed my life. Seeing them live, and then when I met Billy Corgan and he really believed in me and had my band open up for him and recommended me to Hole. He’s a major mentor in my life. And that will never go away, even if we never speak again. The things that I love, I don’t necessarily have to have in my day-to-day life. I can just love it and remember it. And sometimes it’s better that way, like ex-boyfriends. [Laughs] I love my ex-boyfriends but I don’t necessarily hang out with them and their wives. So yes, very very fond memories, and I do wish I could’ve gone to the Montreal show and heard “I Am One” all these years later. That would’ve been incredible.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:11 AM   #69
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Only they didn't play I Am One.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:29 AM   #70
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Why didn't you play I Am One?

Old 09-14-2018, 08:39 AM   #71
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

BTW Melissa, Billy didn't ask you because you "play all over the guitars" apparently.

Not like Jack Bates.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:41 AM   #72
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Melissa seems like a decent, down-to-earth person.

No wonder B0lliam doesn't talk to her.