Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 12-16-2002, 06:29 PM   #1
Tessellation
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face Bread may be cause of pimples:

Refined foods may be cause of pimples and acne

Reuters
Dec. 4, 2002 02:03 PM

LONDON - Eating too much refined bread and cereal, rather than chocolate and greasy foods, could be the cause of teenage acne and pimples.

Loren Cordain and scientists at the Colorado State University in Fort Collins have published research showing that refined carbohydrates unleash a series of reactions in the body which increase the production of bacteria that cause acne.

''There's a lot of anecdotal evidence,'' Neil Mann, a nutrition researcher at RMIT University in Melbourne, Australia told New Scientist magazine Wednesday.

Mann and his colleagues are planning to test the theory and will be putting 60 teenage boys on low-carbohydrate diets for three months to see if it has an impact.

''Dermatologists will tell you they have put patients on low-carbohydrate diets and seen improvements. This will be the first controlled study,'' he added.

Although acne makes teenagers in developed countries miserable, it is almost unknown in some societies such as the Kitava Islanders in Papua New Guinea where processed foods are at a minimum.

According to Cordain, the Inuit people in Alaska did not suffer from pimples until the arrival of the Western diet.

''Acne may not be the only problem caused by eating large quantities of highly refined starches. Such diets have also been blamed for causing short-sightedness and contributing to adult-onset diabetes,'' New Scientist said.

Old 12-16-2002, 06:31 PM   #2
Samsa
Banned

you know that is so interesting. because i used to always wonder about that. not bread per se but why it only seems as if acne is a big deal in developed countries. probably 'cause we don't have much else to worry about but stil like sometimes i sit around and wonder if people had zits in the middle ages. nevermind.

Old 12-16-2002, 06:32 PM   #3
Affect
Fuck

Yeah, you're fifteen.

Grow up, pizza face.

Old 12-16-2002, 06:32 PM   #4
Samsa
Banned

what does refined mean? is that processed by a machine? nevermind. if it's just what happens or something then i'm wrong about people in the middle ages they ate bread too.

Old 12-16-2002, 06:38 PM   #5
Lie
Socialphobic

What the article is basically saying is that it's not bread, it's bread made with refined flours and diets which are especially high in refined carbohydrates. That could be true, but it might also have more to do with the fact that people who's diets are made up of a lot of refined carbs, starches, etc., which often goes hand in hand with sugary and greasy foods anyway, aren't getting very much nutritional value from their food to begin with. I doubt it's so much actually caused by refined carbs as aggravated and encouraged by excessive consumption of them, which also might link to several other factors, like the amount of artificial ingredients and preservatives that you're often consuming in these refined products, and the lack of vitamins and minerals.

Old 12-16-2002, 06:39 PM   #6
Peuloxian Cherub
Ownz

bread is eevil!
http://www.geekshelf.com/gallery/Cri...ng_crimson.gif

Old 12-16-2002, 06:43 PM   #7
Samsa
Banned

oh see i tend to break out towards like... i guess the end of my cycle , i don't know. and i wonder. like i wonder if i crave carbs at that time of the month??? that would be interesting. i'm sure teh zits are caused by teh hormones but it would be interesting if that's a factor they're not taking into account. maybe the same hormone that makes you have zits makes you want to eat refined flour.

Old 12-16-2002, 06:43 PM   #8
beef curtains
Immortal

Quote:
Originally posted by Peuloxian Cherub
bread is eevil!
http://www.geekshelf.com/gallery/Cri...ng_crimson.gif
damn that turns me on!

Old 12-16-2002, 06:44 PM   #9
Samsa
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Lie
What the article is basically saying is that it's not bread, it's bread made with refined flours and diets which are especially high in refined carbohydrates. That could be true, but it might also have more to do with the fact that people who's diets are made up of a lot of refined carbs, starches, etc., which often goes hand in hand with sugary and greasy foods anyway, aren't getting very much nutritional value from their food to begin with. I doubt it's so much actually caused by refined carbs as aggravated and encouraged by excessive consumption of them, which also might link to several other factors, like the amount of artificial ingredients and preservatives that you're often consuming in these refined products, and the lack of vitamins and minerals.
but oh yeah. people in 3rd world countries probably don't get a balanced meal either and THEY don't have zits. i am soo ojealous

Old 12-16-2002, 06:44 PM   #10
Tessellation
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Affect
Yeah, you're fifteen.

Grow up, pizza face.

sorry to disappoint, but I'm 18. quit jacking off and get a life.

Old 12-16-2002, 06:45 PM   #11
Lie
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally posted by Samsa
what does refined mean? is that processed by a machine? nevermind. if it's just what happens or something then i'm wrong about people in the middle ages they ate bread too.
Nah, I don't know precisely what's done to it but it's not something they did in the middle ages.

The problem is that you have to look at all the factors. Like, what exactly is it about refined flour that could aggravate skin conditions? They do a bunch of shit to it.

Refined Flour made from Wheat:

The calorie content of refined white flour actually increases about 10% because of everything else that has been taken out.
An average of 66% of the B vitamins have been removed.
An average of 70% of all minerals have been removed.
79% of the fiber has been removed.
An average of 19% of the protein has been removed.

My guess would be it has a lot more to do with the nutrition people with diets high in refined carbs aren't getting, rather than anything in the food that actually harms them. Carbs have been maligned by the media like crazy lately, when the conditions they're blamed for are usually a result of what's done to high-carb foods before they're shipped out.

Old 12-16-2002, 06:45 PM   #12
Tessellation
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Lie
What the article is basically saying is that it's not bread, it's bread made with refined flours and diets which are especially high in refined carbohydrates.

right, but that describes most bread that's purchased in the Western world.

Old 12-16-2002, 06:47 PM   #13
Tessellation
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

but oh yeah. people in 3rd world countries probably don't get a balanced meal either and THEY don't have zits. i am soo ojealous

the Kitava Islands aren't the 3rd world, and neither is Alaska, where pimples were a rare sight until it became a state.

Old 12-16-2002, 06:50 PM   #14
Samsa
Banned

Angry

third world
(place) by pingouin (1 mon) (print) ? Sat Nov 13 1999 at 9:04:44

The "rest of the world"; the underdeveloped world, and in recent years, the "emerging economies" of places like Indonesia and Malaysia. Also known as "The South", "North" roughly being the old Cold War power blocs: the "first world" of Western industrialized nations (or the "Me First!" world of gluttonous use of the planet's resources), and the "second world" of the Soviet bloc and China.

"Although acne makes teenagers in developed countries miserable, "

i figure the opposite of developed is undeveloped and another word for undeveloped is third world. oh look. underdeveloped does that make a difference? :erm

Old 12-16-2002, 06:51 PM   #15
Lie
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally posted by Tessellation
right, but that describes most bread that's purchased in the Western world.
Yeah, but it's just kind of silly to say that bread is a problem. There are plenty of kinds of bread you can get that aren't made with refined products. People are going to read that article and get scared and then do some stupid shit like the Atkins diet or whatever. It's not just bread, it's just that carbs have been so hyped within the last ten years as being this horrible thing that people have become afraid of them in general instead of just looking into healthier ways to get them.

Old 12-16-2002, 06:51 PM   #16
Peuloxian Cherub
Ownz

hey! so all you americanz have zits? yuck.

Old 12-16-2002, 06:52 PM   #17
Samsa
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Lie

Yeah, but it's just kind of silly to say that bread is a problem. There are plenty of kinds of bread you can get that aren't made with refined products. People are going to read that article and get scared and then do some stupid shit like the Atkins diet or whatever. It's not just bread, it's just that carbs have been so hyped within the last ten years as being this horrible thing that people have become afraid of them in general instead of just looking into healthier ways to get them.
soooo. what about the bread one finds in a health food store?? :erm

Old 12-16-2002, 06:53 PM   #18
Lie
Socialphobic

Quote:
Stop it, you're scaring me.

Honestly, maybe it's an ethnic thing? White people tend to get zittier generally, or so I've noticed.

Old 12-16-2002, 06:54 PM   #19
Tessellation
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
third world
(place) by pingouin (1 mon) (print) ? Sat Nov 13 1999 at 9:04:44

The "rest of the world"; the underdeveloped world, and in recent years, the "emerging economies" of places like Indonesia and Malaysia. Also known as "The South", "North" roughly being the old Cold War power blocs: the "first world" of Western industrialized nations (or the "Me First!" world of gluttonous use of the planet's resources), and the "second world" of the Soviet bloc and China.

the Kitavas are in Oceania. They are NOT part of the 3rd world.

Old 12-16-2002, 06:54 PM   #20
Lie
Socialphobic

Quote:
soooo. what about the bread one finds in a health food store?? :erm
What about it?

Old 12-16-2002, 06:55 PM   #21
Samsa
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Tessellation

the Kitavas are in Oceania. They are NOT part of the 3rd world.
hrrm? oceania? wtf is this 1984?

Old 12-16-2002, 06:56 PM   #22
Samsa
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Lie

What about it?
is it.... refined? :erm

Old 12-16-2002, 06:57 PM   #23
Samsa
Banned

oh papua new guinea

Old 12-16-2002, 06:57 PM   #24
Peuloxian Cherub
Ownz

Quote:
Originally posted by So very sad about me

damn that turns me on!
really?!

Old 12-16-2002, 06:59 PM   #25
Samsa
Banned

and uhh. maybe it's like how i get gas when i drink milk 'cause i'm jewish and can't digest it??? (remember that weird guy on the daily show who said milk was racist? yeah)

Old 12-16-2002, 07:00 PM   #26
Lie
Socialphobic

Quote:
is it.... refined? :erm
You can get lots of kinds that aren't, like sprouted wheat, etc. But eating refined bread isn't bad for you with a capital B. It's just important not to make it a staple in your diet.

Old 12-16-2002, 07:01 PM   #27
Lie
Socialphobic

Talking

Quote:
and uhh. maybe it's like how i get gas when i drink milk 'cause i'm jewish and can't digest it??? (remember that weird guy on the daily show who said milk was racist? yeah)
I can't digest milk either but I never get zits.

Old 12-16-2002, 07:03 PM   #28
Best Looking Boy
Apocalyptic Poster

Too bad jews aren't race.

Old 12-16-2002, 07:04 PM   #29
Peuloxian Cherub
Ownz

hmmm... i think pollution has something to do with pimples too. and of course, shit food full of Es

Old 12-16-2002, 07:04 PM   #30
Samsa
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Best Looking Boy
Too bad jews aren't race.
dude tell that to the guy on the daily show

he was a cook and he said milk is racist cuz people of colour and jews can't digest it

anyways

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Tr...ird_World.html