Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2015, 08:19 AM   #61
Whir34
Pledge

I very rarely / never criticise Smashing Pumpkins or Billy Corgan but I have to question his judgment here. Releasing what in my opinion (and many others I think reading the reviews) is the worst song on the album to a pretty poor video nearly a year after the release of the actual album is baffling to me to say the least. Firstly, I am not sure what he hears when he listens to this song but although it is not terrible there are much better songs that could be released from Monuments - Dorian, Tiberius, even Anaise is much better than this one, in fact every single song that hasn't been released is better than this one. It is the worst song on the album. It smacks to me of a desperate move to generate some more sales making a very poor judgment on the song choice to achieve this objective. I was expecting an announcement on the next album soon, not the release of Run2me as a single. If he had released Tiberius or Dorian it might have got at least some positive attention. I just wonder who is advising Billy these days or what he is thinking. As much as I love Monuments and Oceania and it pains me to level any criticism at Billy (I am a big fan of most of his work post 2007) I just cannot understand this at all. Maybe I am taking it too seriously.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:47 AM   #62
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

I am sure the video was just competed way beyond schedule. It's not like there is an audience waiting to see it. Maybe bill twill sign some DVDs of it and sell them with herbal tea.
This video has way to many edit cuts for me. It is dizzying to watch.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:54 AM   #63
Kahlo
BAN HAMMER.

More music for Tampon adverts.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:29 AM   #64
october
Pledge

I'm really surprised that BC isn't in this video doing all sorts of hand motions and what not. I feel he exercised restraint in that (lack of)move(ment).

Old 10-25-2015, 12:11 PM   #65
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whir34 View Post
I very rarely / never criticise Smashing Pumpkins or Billy Corgan but I have to question his judgment here. Releasing what in my opinion (and many others I think reading the reviews) is the worst song on the album to a pretty poor video nearly a year after the release of the actual album is baffling to me to say the least. Firstly, I am not sure what he hears when he listens to this song but although it is not terrible there are much better songs that could be released from Monuments - Dorian, Tiberius, even Anaise is much better than this one, in fact every single song that hasn't been released is better than this one. It is the worst song on the album. It smacks to me of a desperate move to generate some more sales making a very poor judgment on the song choice to achieve this objective. I was expecting an announcement on the next album soon, not the release of Run2me as a single. If he had released Tiberius or Dorian it might have got at least some positive attention. I just wonder who is advising Billy these days or what he is thinking. As much as I love Monuments and Oceania and it pains me to level any criticism at Billy (I am a big fan of most of his work post 2007) I just cannot understand this at all. Maybe I am taking it too seriously.
I have to imagine (at least I have to really hope) that the record label probably had nothing to do with choosing or financing this music video. The vibe and promotion of it feels more like the post-Zeitgiest/TbK. Billy probably had Linda make it for free and then sent it to every website he could imagine in hopes at least one would run it. The "Being Beige" and "Drum + Fife" videos actually seemed well-produced and professional. This video seems more like the "Superchrist" and "G.L.O.W." videos Billy shit out back in 2008.

On a more positive note, it's still better than the "Owata" music video. That was probably my lowest point of shame as a Smashing Pumpkins fan.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:37 PM   #66
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Firstly, I am not sure what he hears when he listens to this song but
what he hears is something he thinks sounds current.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:00 PM   #67
Bomb The Moon
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
you know, like matchbox 20.

Old 10-25-2015, 04:54 PM   #68
T&T
Minion of Satan

have you guys heard silverchair lately?

Old 10-25-2015, 06:08 PM   #69
reprise85
Wizard

Location: I'm surprised you guys are so big on rap, considering it's the most masochistic music of any genre.

i actually like run2me but aint no radio station on earth going to play it

Old 10-25-2015, 10:29 PM   #70
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
Quote:
Firstly, I am not sure what he hears when he listens to this song but
Howard points to the radio

Old 10-28-2015, 05:27 AM   #71
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm calling it, the next video will be for Monuments

Old 10-28-2015, 05:29 AM   #72
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

LOVER,YOU'RE STRANGE

Old 11-14-2015, 03:06 AM   #73
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

This thing has been out for a few weeks, and I really just managed to bring myself to watch it? I'll echo all that's been said herein - why this song? Why now? What the hell was that?

All of those aside: YouTube auto-played 1979 right after. What a perfect video/song pairing that thing is. Just flawless. I'd give a finger to go back in time and be at that house party for this shoot.

The dichotomy between the two was painful.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:56 AM   #74
Ram27
Minion of Satan

Location: Iha: All right! I can't fucking hear you! (laughs) I'm just kidding. Stop your enthusiasm.

I knew in my heart that I hated run2me, but totally forgot how bad it was until now. it almost seemed like fucking satire. I love how every comment on youtube is slagging it off

I watched the tonight video after this. I don't even like music videos usually but that's one of the best pieces of media I've ever seen. The whole aesthetic is gorgeous, and how they timed the ship taking off with the chorus, and the main characters in danger with the snare rolls in the prechorus. so well done.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:04 AM   #75
Ram27
Minion of Satan

Location: Iha: All right! I can't fucking hear you! (laughs) I'm just kidding. Stop your enthusiasm.

Quote:
I'm the turd sitting in the shower kissing his girlfriend. We were extras and the director saw us cuddling by craft services and asked us to be in that scene. It was only the 2nd time we'd kissed. I also started that pit in the living room because i didn't really like the Smashing Pumpkins at the time. I liked minor threat and opp ivy and we had to shoot that living room scene for over 5 hours. Billy Coorgan yelled "we don't like mosh pits at our shows and we don't want them in our videos". Everyone froze like kids being reprimanded by the principle. It's completely surreal to see this video 20 years later. Still close friends with her and we revisited the video the other day. Such a great song!!
imagine seeing MCIS era pumpkins play right in front of you for 5 hours

living the dream

Old 11-14-2015, 07:13 PM   #76
Run To Me
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Actually, "Inkless" might be my favorite song to come out of SP since 2007. I think it really represents what most people expected a new Smashing Pumpkins song to sound like when Billy announced he was reviving the band.
Agreed. Inkless is easily easily easily my favorite bill track post pre-msots zwan. Gorgeous melodic riff, fantastic guitar tones, a playful sense of structure, lead guitar harmonies that conjure for me that golden old sp exhilaration.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:01 AM   #77
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

And it has a guitar solo that doesn't just mimic the vocal melody. It's automatically better than anything on Monuments.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:11 AM   #78
Mals Marola
Minion of Satan

Location: Church of United Bald Lords, praying for your souls

glissandra is my favorite from that album & strangely underappreciated

i guess the strangest (loverest) thing about all this is how oceania was what, almost an hour with 12 songs & had 0 videos but here we've got a third of monuments covered by some sort of official video representation

crazy shit in 2015...

Old 11-15-2015, 01:25 AM   #79
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
imagine seeing MCIS era pumpkins play right in front of you for 5 hours

living the dream
wait I missed something where is this quote from?

on the commentary on the dvd Jimmy says they caught those kids having sex in the shower

Old 11-15-2015, 10:01 AM   #80
Ram27
Minion of Satan

just some guy on the youtube comments, andres garza

Old 11-15-2015, 01:29 PM   #81
FoolofaTook
Immortal

Location: Trump first sold Hawaii to the Japanese to now be right saying Barack Obama isn't born in the United States. -Crognan's Bluff

does she show her tits in it like she did here?

Old 11-15-2015, 01:30 PM   #82
FoolofaTook
Immortal

Location: Trump first sold Hawaii to the Japanese to now be right saying Barack Obama isn't born in the United States. -Crognan's Bluff

and hella lulz at you poor fuckers who have actually listened to oceania and monuments.

what a sad bunch of mongoloid fucks