Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2019, 09:08 AM   #61
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
solo billy = stupid hats

Old 03-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #62
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

and also stupid pseudo-"olden" words like "neath"

Old 03-20-2019, 03:29 PM   #63
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Screenshot-2019-03-20-19-31-23

Old 03-20-2019, 03:53 PM   #64
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

Vol. 2 is nothing but synths and one strange crunching noise at the beginning

After months of speculation Billy reveals on Instagram that the crunch is the sound of the Gish Strat smashing clean through the SD Mellotron

Old 03-20-2019, 09:06 PM   #65
Modern90's
Demi-God

its odd that now he is going back and reach for all the old instruments and equipment he used throughout SP1.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:36 PM   #66
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

I don't think anyone believes that "original" instruments can make this work out well.
Only a Saturn Return can.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:54 AM   #67
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Odd or weird, I see it as positive!

If it means no more TgbK synths then that's a good thing.

Now, if he could just rediscover that old voice...

Old 03-21-2019, 06:17 AM   #68
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

I don't find it weird to embrace old gear, many people including artists and other professionals hang on specific items, for example authors often keep their old typewriters or even fountain pens. Or photographers picking up their first analog camera now and then, they don't do it because they don't have better gear at this point.
I don't think it's about believing you could recreate something you once worked on many years or decades ago, but feeling comfortable and "at home", consciously and probably to a bigger part subconsciously being connected to memories from the time by using that item.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:49 AM   #69
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Screenshot-2019-03-20-19-31-23

I'm waiting for the relationship with D'arcy to be freshly repaired and to allow her to do one song's bassline, to become overwhelmed by nostalgic feelings...

Old 03-21-2019, 11:18 AM   #70
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
I'm waiting for the relationship with D'arcy to be freshly repaired and to allow her to do one song's bassline, to become overwhelmed by nostalgic feelings...
Stranger things have happened.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:56 AM   #71
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
I hope Rubin isn't working on it again. He sucked every ounce of energy and soul out of Jimmy's drums.
Rubin didn't actually work on the first one. He's more a brand name at this point. He shows up once a month to check what his underlings are doing.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:06 PM   #72
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

...and take a nap.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:54 PM   #73
fuzzyroes
Banned

Rubin seems like a pretty cool guy. Definitely an original. I'm readin' the Beastie Boys bio right now. It's a helluva book, highly recommend. One of the most unique ones I've read.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:05 AM   #74
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

It's just a marketing ploy

"Hey look! here are some photos of instruments that I used when I was younger and could write good songs!"

Old 03-22-2019, 04:09 AM   #75
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Screenshot-2019-03-22-07-14-38

Old 03-22-2019, 04:15 AM   #76
Cool As Ice Cream

cougared

Old 03-22-2019, 05:20 AM   #77
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Well it's encouraging that they are working on it so soon, and not delaying till later in the year for whatever blah blah blah reason.

I just hope they take their time working on the guitars, vocals, arrangements, and production / mixing. And that we don't get a "it was done in 5 days" album.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:45 AM   #78
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
And that we don't get a "it was done in 5 days" album.
I think that's how Jimmy likes to work now. He comes in, hits the boom booms for a take each song and leaves. He's got his legacy in stone already. Now it's about appearances and making his kids' athletic tournaments.

Honestly I think Jimmy needs to join another rock band to show that he's still got it. He can sleepwalk through SP now.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:06 AM   #79
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

I think at this stage they can only benefit from this process. Billy tends to overproduce his music more than the other way around.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:12 AM   #80
epinson
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
I think that's how Jimmy likes to work now. He comes in, hits the boom booms for a take each song and leaves. He's got his legacy in stone already. Now it's about appearances and making his kids' athletic tournaments.

Honestly I think Jimmy needs to join another rock band to show that he's still got it. He can sleepwalk through SP now.
With the decline of album sales, artists (especially if you aren’t on a major label) don’t have the budget anymore to set up camp in a studio for six months at a time, track 100 songs, etc. Drums are generally tracked first, with everything else built on top. I’m a drummer myself (and I’m NO Jimmy) and I’ve generally been able to track at least six songs a day (with 2-3 takes per song, minor editing such as adding a missed cymbal crash, and any percussion overdubs needed). The piecemeal approach also means James and Jeff can just add their parts individually afterwards, again, over a period of days rather than months.

Generally I agree though, I think the fact that they don’t live in the studio for months at a time helps. They all have families, and it’s easier to do side projects away from Smashing Pumpkins. However, it also means that the songs are a little bit safer, more structured, and less “jammy” than before.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:24 AM   #81
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by epinson View Post
Generally I agree though, I think the fact that they don’t live in the studio for months at a time helps. They all have families, and it’s easier to do side projects away from Smashing Pumpkins. However, it also means that the songs are a little bit safer, more structured, and less “jammy” than before.
It also leads to a "this'll do" approach. As they don't have time to sweat over each note, or work on a 30 second piece of music for two weeks.

Really though, I don't know why Billy doesn't just set up a home studio and work there, he can spend as long as he wants on getting the sound right without being "away" from his family.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:35 AM   #82
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Thumbs down

Corgan has become lazy old. When they needed an intro for "Being Beige" and drummer Tommy Lee was already gone, he thought, a crappy drum machine would be ok for the first notes...

Old 03-22-2019, 09:44 AM   #83
FoolofaTook

he also forgot to shave for a couple of weeks, it seems

Old 03-22-2019, 10:08 AM   #84
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

I have faith the album will be fine musically and have all the good callbacks etc of past

But in classic Corgan style he’s going to sing with vibrato instead of like he did on Marchin On, and then he’s gonna neuter any grit to the songs, ultimately releasing 13 bland, toothless “rawk” tracks with some echoes of Siamese Dream with the mellotron and the Gish guitar

For a guy who brags that he likes to move forward, he sure is stuck in the past

It’s all safe inoffensive dad rock, whether or not it’ll be passable is up for debate, i’d like something at least on the level of AiC’s latest, but I know that won’t happen

Old 03-22-2019, 02:53 PM   #85
dustrocck
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
I have faith the album will be fine musically and have all the good callbacks etc of past

But in classic Corgan style he’s going to sing with vibrato instead of like he did on Marchin On, and then he’s gonna neuter any grit to the songs, ultimately releasing 13 bland, toothless “rawk” tracks with some echoes of Siamese Dream with the mellotron and the Gish guitar

It’s all safe inoffensive dad rock, whether or not it’ll be passable is up for debate, i’d like something at least on the level of AiC’s latest, but I know that won’t happen
I'd agree with all of this.

You can have bands like Slowdive releasing great albums years later that don't have to shake the zeitgeist. Don't try to make a hit single, what does that even mean in 2019?

Just make great songs.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:53 PM   #86
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Screenshot-2019-03-22-07-14-38
What will the lineup be like this time? Mikey, D'arcy, and James?

Old 03-22-2019, 10:55 PM   #87
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post

I haven't once had any interest since November to go back and listen to any songs on SOSB. There's no just memory of them at all. It's strange.. I remember the days when I used to be excited to listen to SP albums over and over again.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:37 PM   #88
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

volume 2

cause so many people listened to SAOSBV1LPNPNFNS and thought “god I need more”

Old 03-23-2019, 05:54 AM   #89
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

it would be worse to release a volume 1 and then not go through with the announced volume 2. also who cares what it's called, I don't really expect it to sound like volume 1.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:15 AM   #90
Kahlo

I think he is just trying to find his feet again - but I'm more interested in what comes after Volume 2.

This feels like a transition period, hopefully to something more ambitious musically but those days are most likely in the past as he tries to chase commercial success. I don't think we'll get anything world changing under his Smashing Pumpkins (tm.) brand.

The best I can hope for is another interesting diversion like TFE.