Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #2821
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

I dunno, maybe it just caught me in the right mood, but the combination of bright colors and stupid jokes hit me just right. One of those rare theater experiences where a 2+ hour film didn't feel butt-numbing. I enjoyed it as the fluff entertainment it was meant to be.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #2822
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Then again, I'm also the guy who liked Kong: Skull Island a lot, so who knows?

Old 05-29-2017, 11:05 AM   #2823
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I think it's more that i'm fatigued by so many superhero films than the fault of this particular film. idk.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:17 AM   #2824
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

I get that. Especially when it comes to the Marvel assembly-line stuff. But Guardians feels like a totally different breed.

Also, I've been feeling somewhat depressed lately, so maybe the whole "Saturday morning cartoon on the big-screen" vibe appealed to me.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:18 AM   #2825
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Then again, I'm also the guy who liked Kong: Skull Island a lot, so who knows?
Yeah that did very little for me too.
I loved the post credits scene more than the film itself... lol.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:28 AM   #2826
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

I'm just a sucker for a good, old fashioned "event" flick, and these films just hit that sweet spot in ways that stuff like Jurassic World and Independence Day 2 (ugh) completely failed.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:28 AM   #2827
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
Yeah that did very little for me too.
I loved the post credits scene more than the film itself... lol.
Come now. My fellow horror fan, you had to have loved the giant spider scene, at the very least!

Old 05-29-2017, 11:43 AM   #2828
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Come now. My fellow horror fan, you had to have loved the giant spider scene, at the very least!
Oh for sure, and the giant octopus!
But those ended up almost being teases. Shortly after the film settled into the generic boring monsters for Kong to fight and became a snoozefest.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:15 PM   #2829
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

So apparently (per Rotten Tomatoes) Wonder Woman is great and the DC Extended Universe's losing streak is over.

I'm hoping it is. It'd be nice to see a movie with a superheroine as a lead be a good movie and do well at the box office.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:20 PM   #2830
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Get Out

(Can't think of a funny way to re-title this movie without being politically incorrect).

Some great tension and some LOL moments. Surprisingly well-acted and well-shot, to boot. Not as scary as I hoped it would be, though. Not bad for what amounts to The Stepford Wives with black people instead of robots (spoiler, I guess?).

B

Old 05-31-2017, 09:21 PM   #2831
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchocky View Post
So apparently (per Rotten Tomatoes) Wonder Woman is great and the DC Extended Universe's losing streak is over.

I'm hoping it is. It'd be nice to see a movie with a superheroine as a lead be a good movie and do well at the box office.
Yeah, it's a shame that the shadow of Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Martha and Suicide Squander will be looming over it and maybe even driving people away from seeing it in theaters. You know, fool me once and all that.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:39 PM   #2832
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:

If this is true I may go tomorrow

I want to see the new Alien too

Old 05-31-2017, 09:44 PM   #2833
Elphenor
Braindead

Could be the first movies I see since the excellent Mall Cop 2

Old 05-31-2017, 10:09 PM   #2834
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:

i understand you for still checking rotten tomatoes (i do too sometimes tbh) but their ratings aren't really worth a fucking shit anymore, just fyi

Old 05-31-2017, 11:24 PM   #2835
buzzard
Minion of Satan

I only trust IMDb ratings when there're less than a few thousand votes.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:02 AM   #2836
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i understand you for still checking rotten tomatoes (i do too sometimes tbh) but their ratings aren't really worth a fucking shit anymore, just fyi
True, true.

Seen a few stinkers that Rotten Tomatoes said were good (Haywire and World War Z to name a couple).

Old 06-01-2017, 12:32 AM   #2837
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Same here. Fuck Bridge of Spies.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:35 AM   #2838
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i still remember the distilled mixed feeling of disappointment, insult and murderous rage when i finished watching Frank starring Michael Fender Bass

it had like 99.9% on rotten tomatoes and i was straight up pissed about how much i hated it when i was done

Old 06-01-2017, 02:55 AM   #2839
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Just watched Jaws with the kids, figured they would laugh at how shitty the effects are, but they were glued to the screen and frightened. I really enjoyed it. I don't think I've seen it in twenty years and I didn't remember it being so moby-dick-esque. I don't remember the book being like that either, but I remember the chief of police's wife cheating on him, or thinking seriously about cheating on him. I guess they just didn't have room for that in the film.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:04 AM   #2840
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

how do you know if the shark that's following you around is gay?

Old 06-01-2017, 08:05 AM   #2841
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i still remember the distilled mixed feeling of disappointment, insult and murderous rage when i finished watching Frank starring Michael Fender Bass

it had like 99.9% on rotten tomatoes and i was straight up pissed about how much i hated it when i was done
It's ok to disagree with opinions, because they're just that, opinions.
There is no such thing as universal consensus.

Except when it comes to me being awesome, then it is law across the universe.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #2842
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Angry

usually when there's a general consensus it's at least indicative of some special streak or quality.
that movie was straight up stupid garbage.

in my (correct) opinion.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:22 AM   #2843
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Just watched Jaws with the kids, figured they would laugh at how shitty the effects are, but they were glued to the screen and frightened. I really enjoyed it. I don't think I've seen it in twenty years and I didn't remember it being so moby-dick-esque. I don't remember the book being like that either, but I remember the chief of police's wife cheating on him, or thinking seriously about cheating on him. I guess they just didn't have room for that in the film.
Jaws is just so fucking great. I still watch it at least once per summer. I can never get enough of that movie.

Glad to see kids still like it too.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:24 AM   #2844
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Old 06-02-2017, 06:40 AM   #2845
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Yeah, i'm totally supportive of kids enjoying Jaws! Glad it still works.

This movie made me stay away from the beach the entire summer as a kid.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:40 AM   #2846
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Gonna watch Wonder Woman tomorrow. Can't believe this movie is actually getting good reviews.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:24 PM   #2847
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Diana Prince: The First Justice Leaguer

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so it would seem. This is essentially Thor with Gal Gadot instead of Chris Hemsworth mashed up with the first Captain America movie. Warner Bros and DC Studios have finally figured out why people flock to Marvel's movies and have essentially replicated the MCU formula with this movie. So instead of DC's trademark cinematic gloom and doom you get a formulaic origin story with humor that usually works, a villain that's underdeveloped, and of course a charismatic lead actor (Gal Gadot is MUCH better here than she was in Batfleck vs. Supermannequin, largely due to the fact that she isn't an afterthought like she was in that movie). The action was 300-lite and (again, similar to the issue that consistently plagues the MCU movies), the villain was largely forgettable. Also, don't even try to deny that Chris Pine basically sleepwalked off the set of the new Star Trek movies (he's playing a variation of Captain Kirk in this).

Is it a step in the right direction for the DCEU? Yes. Is it a step in the right direction largely because DC Studios is now parroting Marvel Studio's shtick? Also yes.

Do better, DC. Do better.

C

Old 06-02-2017, 10:37 PM   #2848
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

I always get Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth confused. What a great time we live in.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:42 PM   #2849
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I always get Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth confused. What a great time we live in.
Incidentally, Chris Hemsworth played George Kirk (Captain Kirk's dad) in the first Star Trek reboot movie.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:51 PM   #2850
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Chrisception