Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 12-18-2014, 03:49 AM   #151
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
I only had Dookie and Insomniac, saw them live in 95? I think, but somehow the two albums didn't age that well for me, I stopped giving a shit long before American Idiot.

bascet case and she, that's all I remember, I enjoyed those.
If i ha to name my favorite GD song id probably go with She yeah. Supposing i still have a fav GD song.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:50 AM   #152
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
I like the dudes voice and he drops the occasional really relatable teenage angst line but there's not a ton of substance ultimately
I think I wasn't looking for more substance, it was perfect at the time, so I give them that much credit, it worked fine in terms of "relatable teenage angst lines"

Quote:
She...
She screams in silence
A sullen riot penetrating through her mind
Waiting for a sign
To smash the silence with the brick of self-control
Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
Supposing i still have a fav GD song.
ha, I didn't think I had a favorite Green Day song until just now, I simply haven't thought about their songs in a long time. I made it halfway through She just now, still sweet, sort of.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:52 AM   #153
Elphenor
Braindead

Basket Case is really good no qualifiers

Old 12-18-2014, 03:54 AM   #154
Elphenor
Braindead

Wait I'm thinking of a different song, that song actually kind of sucks

Edit: Longview is the song that's actually really good

Old 12-18-2014, 03:57 AM   #155
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

you can call me fuzzy. here is a youtube video, just because.
I admit I sang along, in 2004, so there, said it, enternal teenage angst appreciation

Old 12-18-2014, 04:00 AM   #156
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
I think I wasn't looking for more substance, it was perfect at the time, so I give them that much credit, it worked fine in terms of "relatable teenage angst lines"

ha, I didn't think I had a favorite Green Day song until just now, I simply haven't thought about their songs in a long time. I made it halfway through She just now, still sweet, sort of.
I liked the part where he screams then the instrumental break.

I would listen to this song at 16 and daydream about some maladjusted misunderstood (like me) girl i could run away with.

Of course at 16, most people feel maladjusted and misunderstood...

Old 12-18-2014, 04:01 AM   #157
Elphenor
Braindead

Longview is the most relatable song to my teens because it's just about masturbating

Old 12-18-2014, 04:02 AM   #158
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Wait I'm thinking of a different song, that song actually kind of sucks

Edit: Longview is the song that's actually really good

Basket case is where i learned the word shrink. It took some years too before i learned what it meant but it bugged me for a long time.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:03 AM   #159
pavementtune

see, there is something for every teen situation in Green Day.

teb dreamed about running away, elph masturbated, I hopped on my bed and yelled "scream at me until my ears bleed" to drive my family nuts. perfect.

and I just noticed I could say the same about a huge part of the SP discography. dreaming, masturbating, and yelling.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:05 AM   #160
Elphenor
Braindead

14-17 are seriously the worst years of any person's life

Old 12-18-2014, 04:06 AM   #161
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

The truth is most people who are now between 24 and 38 listened to Green Day at some point in their teens but DOES IT MEAN THEY HAVE TO BE IN THE HOF BEFORE ALL THOSE OTHER MORE WORTHY BANDS?

I mean the HOF doesn't matter. But its because of shit like this specifically that it doesn't.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:06 AM   #162
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
lol

your so wise elph

Old 12-18-2014, 04:07 AM   #163
pavementtune

Quote:
wait a bit, you might want to refute that.
seriously though - emotionally - pretty much, of course. my worst years in terms of puberty-fuckery-emotional-shitfest started at 11 though.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:11 AM   #164
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
wait a bit, you might want to refute that.
seriously though - emotionally - pretty much, of course. my worst years in terms of puberty-fuckery-emotional-shitfest started at 11 though.
Yeah, I don't actually know. But I do know that suicide rates skyrocket between 14-18

Old 12-18-2014, 04:14 AM   #165
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I used to think that....

Then i got older and life didn't get better (well for me, for some people it does).

Worst years of my life are the last three by far. and if i had to name others, i coud pick quite a few before i'd pick 14 to 17.

I mean sure those teen years sucked but in retrospect, what sucked about them was trivial.

Between teenage suffering and adult suffering, no comparison...the earlier was a breeze looking back. I cried and hit things a lot and had pathetic stupid daydreams about shooting up the school. Meh. It all didn't matter. The shitty people. The no girlfriend situation. The bullying. The stupid teachers. Only later do you realise how none of it mattered pretty much at all. But it did then. For some reason.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:15 AM   #166
Elphenor
Braindead

Well according to google, the largest amount of suicides are still committed by middle aged white males, so great I have that to look forward to

Old 12-18-2014, 04:16 AM   #167
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

yeah see....

Old 12-18-2014, 04:17 AM   #168
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I really like Sassafras Roots and Waiting

Old 12-18-2014, 04:18 AM   #169
ilikeplanets
Braindead

12-17 were the worst so far, i don't know if it gets better or if i just stop caring

Old 12-18-2014, 04:18 AM   #170
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
I used to think that....

Then i got older and life didn't get better (well for me, for some people it does).

Worst years of my life are the last three by far. and if i had to name others, i coud pick quite a few before i'd pick 14 to 17.

I mean sure those teen years sucked but in retrospect, what sucked about them was trivial.

Between teenage suffering and adult suffering, no comparison...the earlier was a breeze looking back. I cried and hit things a lot and had pathetic stupid daydreams about shooting up the school. Meh. It all didn't matter. The shitty people. The no girlfriend situation. The bullying. The stupid teachers. Only later do you realise how none of it mattered pretty much at all. But it did then. For some reason.
But you see it's all relative. You can always look back and say "Oh why did that affect me like it did" but you're not in that state of mind anymore.

But I mean if you're poor to the point of being homeless but as a kid you lived in a nice house then no your adult life isn't better.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:21 AM   #171
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

[quote=ilikeplanets;4128380]I really like Sassafras Roots and Waiting[/QUOTE

Yes sassafras roots was my favorite bassline then (well probably after longview). I would play this song all the time the first year of playing or so.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:24 AM   #172
Elphenor
Braindead

Considerably more white men commit suicide than any other group this is fascinating stuff

Old 12-18-2014, 04:30 AM   #173
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
But you see it's all relative. You can always look back and say "Oh why did that affect me like it did" but you're not in that state of mind anymore.

But I mean if you're poor to the point of being homeless but as a kid you lived in a nice house then no your adult life isn't better.
My childhood is by far the best years of my life but thats different.

The teen years, summer holidays were great i guess. School sucked but you know... I miss having my life ahead of me... And feeling safe. This is the thing. The main thing maybe. For all the shit that happened in teens, i was safe. There was no risk of not having food or a house. I only had to answer to my parents and they weren't gonna throw me out. It's the safety i miss in my adult life. The idea that things could only ever get SO bad...

Old 12-18-2014, 04:30 AM   #174
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Considerably more white men commit suicide than any other group this is fascinating stuff
And...common knowledge.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:31 AM   #175
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i had a very abnormal childhood, but i'd say 14-19 was the worst... although my life pretty much sucked from as early as i remember until about 26. the situation i was in robbed me of an adolescence and im a wee bit bitter about that still

Old 12-18-2014, 04:35 AM   #176
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Yeah i want to say i do realise that the fact that i felt safe as a kid and teen is a privilege not everyone has had...some people never were safe.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:35 AM   #177
Shallowed
Braindead

Women attempt suicide at a higher rate than men, men succeed in killing themselves at a higher rate than women.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:37 AM   #178
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

THATS CAUSE WOMEN ARE JUST ALL ATTENTION WHORES AND DRAMA QUEENS GAWD. OOH I WILL COMMIT SUICIDE NOW LOOK HOW UNHAPPY I AM IN THIS RELATIONSHIP.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:37 AM   #179
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

(j/k guys)

Old 12-18-2014, 04:37 AM   #180
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
My childhood is by far the best years of my life but thats different.

The teen years, summer holidays were great i guess. School sucked but you know... I miss having my life ahead of me... And feeling safe. This is the thing. The main thing maybe. For all the shit that happened in teens, i was safe. There was no risk of not having food or a house. I only had to answer to my parents and they weren't gonna throw me out. It's the safety i miss in my adult life. The idea that things could only ever get SO bad...
I've never had to spend a night sleeping outside, so I can't really say I guess.

But the more freedom and responsibility I get the better I feel. The teenage years you're just trapped in someone else's house where someone controls everything you do and you have no money and nothing to do but masturbate.

Or at least those were my teenage years