Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2015, 07:40 PM   #61
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

I actually concur

Why would anyone bother with this when you've got James Blake?

Old 07-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #62
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

to deepen their unhealthy, oversaturated obsession w Daniel "Danny-baby" Johns?

Old 07-08-2015, 11:54 AM   #63
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

i think i spoke too soon on silverhchair, btw

don't necessarily know what i heard previous to this (coupla the first two album singles, maybe a thing or two off young modern?) but on inspection of some of the neon ballroom stuff, they ain't bad at all. in fact, pretty good, & now i want to hear that whole record

Old 07-08-2015, 10:40 PM   #64
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
Anyone been listening to the full album? It's called Talk and is on spotify. I like several of the songs quite a bit, there are at least 2 that I skip each time, but overall I dig it
Yeah not bad

Old 07-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #65
TheDeuce
Apocalyptic Poster

Neon Ballroom's a great album. i don't really care for much they did outside of it. not whole albums at least. but Neon Ballroom is great.

his solo album is disgusting

Old 07-09-2015, 10:00 PM   #66
fuzzyroes
Banned

You gotta do what you gotta do if you wanna make money with music these days.

Even at Silverchairs best, they were never all that original.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:33 PM   #67
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Jesus I hadn't heard Silverchair in like 15 years. Wow, flashbacks.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #68
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

I like his new solo album thing. It's pretty neat.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:37 PM   #69
fuzzyroes
Banned

I listened to Frogstomp awhile back... God damn it's fucking awful... Just pure cheese. It seems like it must have been easy for alt-rock bands to get signed back in those days.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:44 PM   #70
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

silverchair are theoretically exactly the kind of band you'd endorse, but instead of that you pick their weakest album to shit on in a discussion about the guy's new solo album? there is some true magic at play here

Old 07-12-2015, 09:50 PM   #71
fuzzyroes
Banned

Not really big on Silverchair to be honest. Neon Ballroom is pretty great and I like cemetery and the lead single off of Diorama... The rest has not aged well at all

I mean this is pretty much to Nirvana as Creed is to Pearl Jam

Old 07-12-2015, 09:52 PM   #72
fuzzyroes
Banned

Johns is just a trend-hopper. Whatevers popular is the bandwagon he jumps on... I can't really respect that level of artistic integrity.

Anyone remember this crap?

Old 07-12-2015, 10:59 PM   #73
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

that was pretty original

Old 07-12-2015, 11:24 PM   #74
slunken
Virgo

1. silverchair got famous based on winning a local radio contest when they were 15.
2. freak show is the best silverchair album.
3. daniel johns went insane during the late 90s.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:27 PM   #75
slunken
Virgo

straight lines is, at its best, as good or if not better than anything off of future embrace if you ask me, both of which are pretty limp-wristed electro pop solo efforts indicative of an insane lead singer

Old 07-13-2015, 11:40 PM   #76
fuzzyroes
Banned

I disagree. The future embrace was largely original and unlike anything else that was going on at the time whereas a song like straight lines was a desperate attempt at fitting in with the other stuff that was currently on the radio. I can't remember the band names but there was a lot of that Maroon 5 type stuff happening at the time and it seemed like that was the bandwagon Silverchair was jumping on.

I mean they have a few great songs, so I can't hate on em too much but they were like the biggest grunge bandwagoners if you ask me. I mean, everyone shitted on STP and Bush, but they had much better songwriting and a lot more originality than Silverchair ever had... Yet Silverchair seemed to get away unscathed.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:41 PM   #77
fuzzyroes
Banned

But yes, they were both definitely limp efforts.

There was one kinda cool song on Young Modern though, sort of still had an alt-rock feel going to it. I never downloaded the album or anything. It was actually at my local library so I took it out and gave it a few spins.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:05 AM   #78
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I mean, everyone shitted on STP and Bush, but they had much better songwriting and a lot more originality than Silverchair ever had
Well they recorded Neon Ballroom when they were still in their teens and they were long past grunge at that point. You're shitting all over the band for the two first albums that they did when they were 14-17. Most of their recorded output has absolutely nothing to do with grunge and even Freak Show had stuff like Petrol & Chlorine.

Diorama and Young Modern are acquired taste, but they are pretty unique albums.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:18 AM   #79
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
The future embrace was largely original
Dude do you remember that time you refused to stop giving me shit for liking Moby?

Old 07-14-2015, 10:06 PM   #80
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac View Post
Well they recorded Neon Ballroom when they were still in their teens and they were long past grunge at that point. You're shitting all over the band for the two first albums that they did when they were 14-17. Most of their recorded output has absolutely nothing to do with grunge and even Freak Show had stuff like Petrol & Chlorine.

Diorama and Young Modern are acquired taste, but they are pretty unique albums.
So you figure the alt-rock music scene and the press gave them a free-pass due to how young they were? I suppose that's feasible. Young or not, it doesn't change the fact they were responsible for some the more popular bland and generic alt-rock out there at the time.

It was laughable how much they aped Nirvana. If you watch the early videos the lead singer even has the exact same hair and clothes as Cobain

Would have thought i was watching Smells like Teen Spirit if I had the sound on mute

Old 07-14-2015, 10:11 PM   #81
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
Dude do you remember that time you refused to stop giving me shit for liking Moby?
Yes.

TFE sounds nothing like Moby. The only similarity is that it's electonica influenced music made by egotistical bald,pale, skinny guys

Old 07-14-2015, 10:12 PM   #82
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

I was wondering how long it would be till you were back to spouting shitty generalisations and treating them like gospel truth.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:15 PM   #83
fuzzyroes
Banned

There you go again in your pitiful attempts at belittling me without even providing a reasoning for what you disagree with.

Figures that an Aussie would be butt-hurt about someone criticizing Silverchair.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:21 PM   #84
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
straight lines is, at its best, as good or if not better than anything off of future embrace if you ask me, both of which are pretty limp-wristed electro pop solo efforts indicative of an insane lead singer
you mean this album
young modern was more like zwan

Old 07-14-2015, 10:26 PM   #85
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
There you go again in your pitiful attempts at belittling me without even providing a reasoning for what you disagree with.

Figures that an Aussie would be butt-hurt about someone criticizing Silverchair.
1. That first sentence was so hard to read it hurt my brain. Learn to write.

2. You drew your own conclusions about what my point was. You called TFE "Largely Original" when it's demonstrably extremely derivative of new wave and 80s goth. I mentioned Moby because I found it hilarious that you want to call TFE Original and trash me for liking Moby, who is, really beyond any kind of contention, one of the most innovative electronic artists of our lifetime.

3. I'm not defending Silverchair, I've said multiple times in this thread that I think they're a shit band for people with boring taste. If you could actually read maybe you would have picked up on this.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:38 PM   #86
fuzzyroes
Banned

lol fair enough. Although my point was that Daniel Johns has always just been a trend hopper and while I don't really like TFE- at least Billy wasn't just jumping on the top 40 bandwagon with it as Johns was.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 07-14-2015 at 10:50 PM.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:43 PM   #87
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Ah look for the most part i'll agree with you, most of Silverchair is pretty derivative. BUT I would actually give them a lot of credit for Diorama being, if nothing else, actually a pretty bold move for them, given that after Neon Ballroom they were sort of the darlings of Australian angsty teens and they made an album that would have bucked a huge part of their homegrown listenership. It's not hugely original but it was a risky change of direction and I tip my hat to any band who does that and pulls it off.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:56 PM   #88
fuzzyroes
Banned

Yeah, at least they experimented a little. I like a few of their songs, but I've never understood the mass appeal. The vibe I get online and even from music fans in my life is that these guys are grossly overrated- and this is including all of their early stuff.

I guess I should stop looking at Altenativenation.net so often. I think those fools might be skewing my perception lol

Old 07-15-2015, 01:45 AM   #89
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
The only similarity is that it's electonica influenced music made by egotistical bald,pale, skinny guys
that's actually a pretty fucking specific similarity

Old 07-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #90
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
that's actually a pretty fucking specific similarity
Yeah, Moby the person really did remind me of a neutered Corgan. Don't really hear it in the music though.