Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 01:17 PM   #91
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Go to that church that has MMA. Doesn't seem completely retarded to me.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #92
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

you shouldve gone on sunday with all the other tourists

Old 04-23-2014, 01:29 PM   #93
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #94
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

I would love to visit this church http://news.discovery.com/human/life...bal-130308.htm

"At last Sunday's service, which had a volunteering theme, songs included "Help" by the Beatles and "Holding Out For A Hero" by Bonnie Tyler."

Old 04-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #95
bignothing
Demi-God

Why call it a church though? Also nope. I am definitely not into any of this organized atheism (??). I mean, isn't the worst thing about religion the fact that it is organized and manipulative? I think faith is silly but I don't have a problem with believers - sometimes I wish I believed in something. Organized religion though... to me, it's evil. I know it isn't like this everywhere, but I just don't understand why people feel the need for communities like that, when a lot of the time they are just hiding behind this sense of community to do shady things. Not just abuse, but there's so much money involved...

My aunt is the head of a local spiritual center back home, and they do so much charity serving free food every day to anyone. They also provide free music, language, and ballet lessons, so I know it can be good. At the same time, of course it preys on the poor to convert them because obviously kids would rather be in that environment than in their homes where they're abused or have to share a bedroom with 5 siblings. My aunt also tells me I can't possibly be a good person if I don't do charity on a weekly basis.

This intrigues me though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rothko_Chapel

any of you Texans have been there?

Old 04-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #96
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm not atheist, I just think that that church has the pros of a church without the cons...

Rothko seems very interesting, I'd would love to pay a visit.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:10 PM   #97
Mayfuck
Banned

thats one of the major points of religion...is that its organized. one of the best aspects about religion is that you offer yourself to something larger than yourself. thats why i hate all these liberal cafeteria churches.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #98
Mayfuck
Banned

whats the point of faith if you just mean for it to tailor to your own personal convenience? then yeah in that case go be a buddhist or something equally repugnant

Old 04-25-2014, 06:52 PM   #99
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Faith is a private thing though, I think we can publicly announce our allegiance to certain precepts and that is a way of being able to make a commitment to living with certain values alongside other people who are public about their commitments too...but really, actual faith is something that lies within us and is inexplicable and not communicable for most people. It's unusual to expect people with such different life stories to all have the same thoughts, feelings, experiences, etc. about something as intangible as God and the resurrection. But we align ourselves with this particular story and these certain symbols because we feel they are a sufficient expression of truths we know but can't explain, of instincts and emotions that guide us but have no rational justification...

The story allows us to enter a bigger picture...it isn't the bigger picture in its entirety.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:02 PM   #100
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starla View Post
The most relaxed church I've ever been to was Unitarian, and that was in Kansas city. They basically kept to the teachings of Jesus, without fire, brimstone, and judgment ... which is nice if that's what you're looking for. I remember they meditated during service, which was okay too... but then they started talking about new agey stuff like healing with crystals and color therapy, which were things I'm not really into.
I've probably already asked but was this the one on the plaza?? I think they have one there. Maybe?

Old 04-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #101
Starla

Yes it was.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:21 PM   #102
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

i went to the exalted church of ham sandwiches and it was a life changing experience

Old 04-25-2014, 08:22 PM   #103
Trotskilicious
Banned

me and chris christie met up there and then we went across the east coast eating hams

Old 04-25-2014, 08:22 PM   #104
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignothing View Post
Why call it a church though? Also nope. I am definitely not into any of this organized atheism
it's not "technically" an atheist church. And in that sense it's not organized. They don't do sermons on atheism, either.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:25 PM   #105
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
i went to the exalted church of ham sandwiches and it was a life changing experience
Is that the one where Ron Swanson listens thoughtfully as you share your problems before cutting in to tell you to suck it the fuck up and eat more pork products

Old 04-25-2014, 08:31 PM   #106
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
me and chris christie met up there and then we went across the east coast eating hams
i thought texans were all about Brisket

Old 04-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #107
Trotskilicious
Banned

shut the fuck up scotty

Old 04-26-2014, 03:51 PM   #108
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Faith is a private thing though, I think we can publicly announce our allegiance to certain precepts and that is a way of being able to make a commitment to living with certain values alongside other people who are public about their commitments too...but really, actual faith is something that lies within us and is inexplicable and not communicable for most people. It's unusual to expect people with such different life stories to all have the same thoughts, feelings, experiences, etc. about something as intangible as God and the resurrection. But we align ourselves with this particular story and these certain symbols because we feel they are a sufficient expression of truths we know but can't explain, of instincts and emotions that guide us but have no rational justification...

The story allows us to enter a bigger picture...it isn't the bigger picture in its entirety.
Eh, my alignment with this story is that's all it is, a story. I hate to be so...obvious but faith is still just a coping mechanism when faced with the great unknown. And death which is part of it.

We don't pray to thunder gods anymore because we know what thunder is and where it comes from. I'd like to say someday faith will not be needed anymore but we're never gonna reach that point before we reach extinction. And at the end what we will be left with is still no understanding. Just a endless state of nonbeing. But the rest will go on unperturbed. Through the capacity of reason we have tried to explain our existence as if we were important. As if something created us for a purpose, it makes it easier to sleep at night. To think someone hears us or cares or at least set us here for a reason. The truth is we became self aware and it scared the shit out of us and then there needed to be a reason for us being and since we couldn't find it we made it up. It's a mistake in evolution we need to transcend. Not being self aware but seeking to find an explanation for us being, we will never reach the answer and only will make ourselves go mad seeking it. We can try and understand how the universe works and I think it's a worthwhile endeavor, but that will still not give us the ultimate answer as to why anything. I don't see how it could. I believe there is no more meaning to my life as that of a mosquito. No more a reason to be here than a rock has to be drifting in space. But does it matter? Why can't we accept none as a reason? I believe then too that there is no higher consciousness keeping tabs of "good" and "bad" deeds as morality is a human concept, a necessary one so that we could build functional societies which were found desirable to create if we were to avoid a life of suffering, as much as possible.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #109
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

no thats not it

Old 04-29-2014, 10:20 PM   #110
MusicMan4

I refuse to believe anybody could get through that entire post

Old 04-29-2014, 10:30 PM   #111
Trotskilicious
Banned

i was going to respond to it but then i was like fuck it

Old 04-29-2014, 10:52 PM   #112
Bread Regal
Banned

ariel why did you come back

Old 04-29-2014, 10:58 PM   #113
Trotskilicious
Banned

SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK IS "A MISTAKE IN EVOLUTION"

THAT

DOESN'T

MAKE

SENSE

Old 04-29-2014, 10:58 PM   #114
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris Hilton View Post
I refuse to believe anybody could get through that entire post
in one go or at all

Old 04-29-2014, 11:04 PM   #115
MusicMan4

At all
I've tried like five times

Old 04-29-2014, 11:08 PM   #116
Eulogy
huh

I did not read the whole post. Walls of word salad are really up appealing.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:10 PM   #117
MusicMan4

He is basically a thought catalog columnist

Old 04-29-2014, 11:17 PM   #118
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

Quote:
durian?

Old 04-29-2014, 11:21 PM   #119
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris Hilton View Post
He is basically a thought catalog columnist
the best part is how when he started posting again he made a point about how him now would beat up him then or some shit like that but i cannot tell how he's changed at all

Old 04-29-2014, 11:23 PM   #120
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:

THAT

DOESN'T

MAKE

SENSE

like a maladaptive development? I dunno I didn't read that the word wall