Old 04-12-2014, 12:12 AM   #1
Bread Regal
Banned

Default Still sorta a novice at online shopping

margin

Old 04-12-2014, 12:14 AM   #2
Bread Regal
Banned

Ordered a couple things using amazon prime and was enticed by the free 2 day delivery. Left instructions for the courier to leave the parcel behind a pile of cinderblocks next to my apartment door.

Come home to a note on my door saying they left it at the leasing office, now closed. They do not open again until sunday, making this a 5 day delivery. Kinda annoyed, because I bought a chromecast and have been looking forward to watching some netflix on my t.v. but I guess I gotta wait now.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:16 AM   #3
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

Life's a bummer

Old 04-12-2014, 12:16 AM   #4
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

#FIRSTWORLDPROBLEMS

Old 04-12-2014, 12:17 AM   #5
Bread Regal
Banned

man

Old 04-12-2014, 12:17 AM   #6
Bread Regal
Banned

i hate that meme

Old 04-12-2014, 12:51 AM   #7
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

what it's true like seriously put it in perspective

Old 04-12-2014, 12:53 AM   #8
Banana
Banned

You look exactly like the type that would live in a shitty apartment with a bunch of cinder blocks near the door.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:22 AM   #9
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

Not all of us were born with a silver spoon from Kohl's in our mouth.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:11 AM   #10
TuralyonW3
Immortal

I order a lot of books and music and I'm constantly dealing with mail hassles. It's the fucking worst

Old 04-12-2014, 03:00 AM   #11
Bread Regal
Banned

amazon used this shitty last-mile courier called Lazership that apparently don't even provide official vehicles or uniforms. drivers are paid per package and will just show up in their personal vehicle in their street clothes. quite odd.

it's annoying because there are these sturdy metal containers, fixed to the ground at the front of my apartment complex that are designed specifically for this purpose. and if those containers are too small, there are other, significantly larger containers that the courier can place the parcel in should the addressee not be present to receive it, an event with a high probability of occurring. so amazon should hire the guys who actually have access to those boxes.

i'm fine with the fact that the usps is hemorrhaging money, because it's such a fantastic service. when i used to work as a shipping clerk, priority mail would promise 2-3 days but would usually come in 2 unless the customer was in a rural area. they already bent backwards for amazon to provide sunday shipping, not sure why they aren't used exclusively.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:09 AM   #12
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

that's weird they wouldn't obey the special instructions; i've never had that happen. go break the leasing office window and get what's yours.

and here's a tip: before finalizing any online purchase ALWAYS check for coupon codes. i find one 90% of the time and sometimes save up to 40%. yesterday was 10% of a $21 prescription (on top of that this online pharmacy is already ~75 less than the same brand from Target) .

Old 04-12-2014, 09:03 AM   #13
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

i never buy anything online if I can help it...too much of a nervous caveat emptor type purchaser to trust vendors like that.

plus as Confucius taught us...merchants are all greedy and lack morality. So that knowledge doesn't help matters.

i want to hold it in my hands and inspect it thoroughly and then think it over for a month and return later for another inspection, then drink an espresso, then see what my gut tells me. the internet makes all of this really difficult

Old 04-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #14
mxzombie
Braindead

Location: i like traffic lights, but only when they're green.

apparently someone has been stealing packages from the mail boxes in our apartment building. the couriers (except usps) have instructions at the door to leave packages in the leasing office, but it doesn't keep regular hours so the building maintenance guy just hand delivers them from there. i have most things delivered to my office because i don't buy much stuff.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #15
hnibos
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
amazon used this shitty last-mile courier called Lazership that apparently don't even provide official vehicles or uniforms. drivers are paid per package and will just show up in their personal vehicle in their street clothes. quite odd.

it's annoying because there are these sturdy metal containers, fixed to the ground at the front of my apartment complex that are designed specifically for this purpose. and if those containers are too small, there are other, significantly larger containers that the courier can place the parcel in should the addressee not be present to receive it, an event with a high probability of occurring. so amazon should hire the guys who actually have access to those boxes.

i'm fine with the fact that the usps is hemorrhaging money, because it's such a fantastic service. when i used to work as a shipping clerk, priority mail would promise 2-3 days but would usually come in 2 unless the customer was in a rural area. they already bent backwards for amazon to provide sunday shipping, not sure why they aren't used exclusively.
Lazership needs a signature for all their deliveries. Also, a hispanic woman and her husband are the ones that deliver to the hotel I work at. They speak very little English. They may not have understood your note, not that it would have mattered.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #16
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
i never buy anything online if I can help it...too much of a nervous caveat emptor type purchaser to trust vendors like that.

plus as Confucius taught us...merchants are all greedy and lack morality. So that knowledge doesn't help matters.

i want to hold it in my hands and inspect it thoroughly and then think it over for a month and return later for another inspection, then drink an espresso, then see what my gut tells me. the internet makes all of this really difficult
I identify with a lot of this, actually.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:02 PM   #17
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post

Yeah many of the problems I have come from transferring from one carrier to another

Old 04-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #18
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Does Silk Road count as online shopping? Total pro right here

Old 04-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #19
mxzombie
Braindead

Location: i like traffic lights, but only when they're green.

yes, it does. you are buying things over the internet. what caused you to wonder?

Old 04-12-2014, 07:29 PM   #20
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
Wow rad

Old 04-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #21
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

Isn't silkroad closed? can't you just connect your notebook to the tv?

Old 04-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #22
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
rolling on the floor literally laughing my fucking ass off

Old 04-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #23
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

HEY GUYZ REMEMBER ME I LIKE HARD DRUGZ

Old 04-12-2014, 08:20 PM   #24
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by toase View Post
Isn't silkroad closed? can't you just connect your notebook to the tv?
There's a version 2 plus a few other options. Honestly I haven't used it since the first one closed though, I believe there was a glitch in the BTC system that allowed someone to withdraw all the "money" and run off with it

Old 04-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #25
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

i got the aeroplane flies high 5lp for less than $70 (canadian, including goddamn 13% tax) on amazon.ca today. i still feel dirty for giving bill my money

Old 04-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #26
slunken
Virgo

i buy online a lot, unless i want/need something "right now". buying online usually saves me more money than shopping in a brick/mortar store, although its still fun to browse in a real store (especially books and records). sometimes i'll even go to the real store for sizing (clothes) and then go home and order online to save money, even if its from the webstore of the same shop.

most shops are set up nowadays to completely have the buyers back, no matter what. today i bought a guitar pedal from ebay. there's no "what if" involved. if it doesn't work or arrives damaged ebay or paypal takes care of me 100%.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #27
slunken
Virgo

i also have a good relationship with my mailman. that helps a lot. i tip him at xmas, know his name, and as someone who gets packages delivered to the house regularly, he doesn't fuck me over.

i've had one mishap in 8 years (soggy package ruining records) but ebay took care of me because "item was not received as described". full refund including return postage issued.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:53 PM   #28
slunken
Virgo

tl;dr - the myth of online buying as a chance operation is seriously outdated

Old 04-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #29
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

word. i much prefer shopping online. no crowds with which to contend plus you can't input coupon codes at the store.

"i coulda got u a better deal on that"

Old 04-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #30
D.
Consume my pants.

i'm going to use that online coupon code idea. i'm bad at finding deals!!