Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 09-23-2015, 07:27 AM   #1
he/she/it
Ownz

Default Sounds like acoustic rhythm guitar is mixed into Today / Zero album cuts

Listening to the Guitar Hero separated audio tracks, for the main guitar, it sounds like there's a take of acoustic guitar banging out the rhythm chords along with the heavily distorted guitar.

In the Today audio, it can be heard in the choruses @ 1:00, and 1:57.

And in both the L and R guitars for Zero, right after the intro bars, starting at 0:08.

I guess it's to accentuate the playing attack amidst the heavy distortion, though I never noticed it in the full album mixes.

And the R guitar for Zero seems sloppier played than the L guitar for the same track. I wonder if Zero was played to a click or no.

The Guitar Hero separated SP audio can be downloaded here:
https://mega.nz/#!E59AWZAJ!Np4Bjjyd-...mNfPmY1tez2X6M

Old 09-23-2015, 08:03 AM   #2
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

bc does that a lot, if i'm not mistaken. he's also done it on that hole album.
i mean, i don't have a clue. i think i just read or heard this somewhere.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:12 AM   #3
Ram27
dumb

I think he also did this on Soma and Mayonnaise

There's a bonus track from the SD reissue where it's just the album vocal synced up perfectly with an acoustic guitar for five minutes, the same one you can hear during the quiet parts, 'mother weep the years i'm missing'

Old 09-23-2015, 08:27 AM   #4
Bomb The Moon
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by he/she/it View Post
I guess it's to accentuate the playing attack amidst the heavy distortion, though I never noticed it in the full album mixes.
this is correct. it's a common recording technique. often at a barely audible level, it fills out the sound... helps give heavy\fuzzy guitars more definition and clarity in the mix. you will hear it all over, if you listen for it.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:36 AM   #5
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=181602

Old 09-23-2015, 12:49 PM   #6
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
I think he also did this on Soma and Mayonnaise

There's a bonus track from the SD reissue where it's just the album vocal synced up perfectly with an acoustic guitar for five minutes, the same one you can hear during the quiet parts, 'mother weep the years i'm missing'

If you listen carefully, you can also hear that same acoustic guitar all throughout the entire album Mayonaise track.

The Pumpkins have put out a few tracks with layers removed in the past. There's a version of Perfect in the Adore boxset that takes out all of the strings so that you can hear all sorts of interesting flourishes. There's also one for Tonight, Tonight.

I wish they'd put out more like that, especially ones that had acoustic backing.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:10 PM   #7
Ram27
dumb

Yeah, I wish we just got Guitar Hero style multitracks for everything. It's really interesting and helps appreciate all the work they put into those songs.

I like how the tone of Tonight totally changes without the strings. It's a lot 'grungier'

Old 09-23-2015, 02:16 PM   #8
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

old news / untroo fan

"We like to call this style of our music 'Cybermetal.' 'Zero' has six rhythm guitars, with two line-in 12-string acoustics, plus those wacky Iha leads. Tracked live with overdubs added later, this is a true mover as well as the first song that was recorded for Mellon Collie, James has always said this reminds him of Judas Priest." -BC (Guitar World 1/97)

http://www.spfc.org/songs-releases/s...06&song_type=1

Old 09-23-2015, 11:41 PM   #9
he/she/it
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams of glass View Post
That's neat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
Yeah, I wish we just got Guitar Hero style multitracks for everything. It's really interesting and helps appreciate all the work they put into those songs.

I like how the tone of Tonight totally changes without the strings. It's a lot 'grungier'
Do you have the separated files for Tonight, Tonight, or for any other SP songs aside from the Guitar Hero ones I linked to (Siva, Today, Cherub Rock, Zero, Bullet With Butterfly Wings)? I'd like to hear them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
old news / untroo fan

"We like to call this style of our music 'Cybermetal.' 'Zero' has six rhythm guitars, with two line-in 12-string acoustics, plus those wacky Iha leads. Tracked live with overdubs added later, this is a true mover as well as the first song that was recorded for Mellon Collie, James has always said this reminds him of Judas Priest." -BC (Guitar World 1/97)

http://www.spfc.org/songs-releases/s...06&song_type=1
That's interesting. I recall Billy saying that for MCIS they'd decided to not quad-track everything like they did on SD, because doing so lost the attack. I wonder how many tracks on MCIS use more than 2 tracks for the rhythm guitar.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:55 PM   #10
Lt_Beans_McGood
Banned

Pete Townshend also puts grandpas guitars on his albums, what a fag

Old 09-24-2015, 12:29 AM   #11
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:

you are obviously not a true fan. this quote is old news.
here is a more recent one:

Quote:

"I like to call this style of my music 'our comeback album that will piss on radiohead'. 'Zero' has six rhythm guitars, with two line-in 12-string acoustics, plus those shitty Iha leads. Fuck that guy.
Tracked live with overdubs added later, this is a true mover as well as the first song that was recorded for our album-within-a-groundbreaking-album-within-an-ep. James has always said that he's a piece of shit and that this song reminds him of Judas Priest." -BC (Guitar World 1/97)

Old 09-24-2015, 01:34 AM   #12
redbull
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by he/she/it View Post
That's interesting. I recall Billy saying that for MCIS they'd decided to not quad-track everything like they did on SD, because doing so lost the attack. I wonder how many tracks on MCIS use more than 2 tracks for the rhythm guitar.
i'm pretty sure a shitload, ruby is supposed to have more guitar tracks than soma does....

Old 09-24-2015, 03:04 AM   #13
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Do you have the separated files for Tonight, Tonight, or for any other SP songs aside from the Guitar Hero ones I linked to (Siva, Today, Cherub Rock, Zero, Bullet With Butterfly Wings)? I'd like to hear them.
pretty sure that the source is just the re-masters

I'm also a big fan of the demo of the song from the reel time sessions, in the key of C

https://youtu.be/IZFIzRYRXY0?t=28m36s

Old 09-24-2015, 05:04 AM   #14
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
i'm pretty sure a shitload, ruby is supposed to have more guitar tracks than soma does....
https://web.archive.org/web/20150714...an-moulder.mp3

Listen from about 7:40

Old 09-24-2015, 06:40 AM   #15
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:

I'm also a big fan of the demo of the song from the reel time sessions, in the key of C

i love this
one of the better bonus tracks we got.
makes you realize just how badass that guitar track is. it locks so beautifully with jc's drums

Old 09-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #16
Ram27
dumb

Quote:

I actually like it better without the strings, as a song. But as an aesthetic experience, it's better with the orchestra.

god that sounds lame. you know what i mean tho right

Or maybe it's just cool hearing so much new detail in a song I've heard so many times. Like, until hearing this, I never realized Jimmy was playing 8ths on the kick during the verses.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:21 AM   #17
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i love this
one of the better bonus tracks we got.
makes you realize just how badass that guitar track is. it locks so beautifully with jc's drums
+++

It's up there with the SBD 35 minute Silverfuck

Old 09-24-2015, 03:59 PM   #18
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Wait you're telling me there are multiple layers of guitars on Pumpkins albums.

http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/201...06651537-4.gif

Old 09-25-2015, 01:22 PM   #19
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

it's not quite that simple, mr strong

somehow with all the times i read that quote on the recording, i never really registered the part where he'd talked about this. i guess it just seemed so baffling at the time there'd be acoustic guitars on zero it just sort of went through me

Old 09-25-2015, 08:31 PM   #20
Bread Regal
Banned

i knew he thinkened a lot of stuff up with acoustic guitars in overdriven parts, but i didn't know zero had them. when the tracks are isolated, it's very prominent. but in the full mix the effect is very subtle.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:08 PM   #21
wardyh92
Amish Rake Fighter

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...46B39E00A1FBEB

There's some quite interesting background stuff that comes out in these 1979 multitracks too. For some reason I never really noticed the synth part in the chorus until I heard it isolated on the FX/backing vocal video. Now my ear is drawn straight to it every time I hear the song.

Soundcloud:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:46 PM   #22
Ram27
dumb

That part's really cool

You can hear Melvoin doing it live @Brixton as well

Old 09-29-2015, 05:47 PM   #23
he/she/it
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardyh92 View Post

There's some quite interesting background stuff that comes out in these 1979 multitracks too. For some reason I never really noticed the synth part in the chorus until I heard it isolated on the FX/backing vocal video. Now my ear is drawn straight to it every time I hear the song.
Cool, thanks. I converted the 1979 multitrack audio to mp3, and did the same with the Tonite Tonite strings only track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8UZ...ature=youtu.be

I also uploaded an archive of them:

https://mega.nz/#!FlERWBqT!90r94q8Qw...K5snWy9Rjta5B8

Old 09-29-2015, 08:36 PM   #24
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
i knew he thinkened a lot of stuff up with acoustic guitars in overdriven parts, but i didn't know zero had them. when the tracks are isolated, it's very prominent. but in the full mix the effect is very subtle.
maybe, but if it's being done for transient/attack purposes i'd say it's pretty effective in the overall mix, particularly if you don't actually pick 'em out as acoustic guitars

well done, crew!

Old 09-30-2015, 01:32 PM   #25
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardyh92 View Post

yeah, that was one of my favorite semi-recent SP discoveries

Old 09-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #26
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

the synth part is cool, but i think the most amazing thing from that was how the really "ringing" guitar during the chorus sounds so resonant in the actual mix, but on its own it sounds more like just a slightly fuzzy guitar going through a small (or faraway?) amp

cool effect, either way