Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 04-08-2020, 08:50 PM   #31
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

yeah that's awesome

Old 04-08-2020, 09:12 PM   #32
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
My brother and cousins were about seven years older and were totally 90's MTV kids. They had this soundtrack with a bunch of bands of the era. It was the Singles soundtrack. I'm guessing summer 1993. I listened to drown over and over just mesmerized. I dunno about "hooked" because it never dawned on me to search for their other stuff. Also, I was incredibly young. Later that year, the Today video debuted. I remember being in the garage, the large door open and the dying summer air wafting in. I was sprawled out on a greenish, rose swirled loveseat. The opening notes, the ice cream truck and the powerful sentiment just struck me. That weekend I asked my mom to buy the cassette at Kmart when we were grocery shopping.
Beautiful storytime. Thanks AvLor

Old 04-08-2020, 09:34 PM   #33
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
My brother and cousins were about seven years older and were totally 90's MTV kids. They had this soundtrack with a bunch of bands of the era. It was the Singles soundtrack. I'm guessing summer 1993. I listened to drown over and over just mesmerized. I dunno about "hooked" because it never dawned on me to search for their other stuff. Also, I was incredibly young. Later that year, the Today video debuted. I remember being in the garage, the large door open and the dying summer air wafting in. I was sprawled out on a greenish, rose swirled loveseat. The opening notes, the ice cream truck and the powerful sentiment just struck me. That weekend I asked my mom to buy the cassette at Kmart when we were grocery shopping.
Oh shit yeah, after I got more into the band and I discovered Drown I had that shit on repeat all day

Old 04-08-2020, 09:35 PM   #34
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Stayed home from school because I had a gigantic fat lip. Not even sure what it was. lol. Felt like a huge zit. I was watching MTV and Today came on. Went to the record store the next day and bought Siamese Dream. Never looked back! hahaa.

Old 04-08-2020, 09:44 PM   #35
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Cherub Rock in October 2005. Just lived on Greatest Hits for a year and change. Finally got Siamese Dream in December 2006. One of the only times I just lied there and listened to an album without tv or anything like that. Very special experience. I can still vividly remember hearing the opening riff of Hummer, it just hit me.

Old 04-08-2020, 09:58 PM   #36
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

First heard Drown in 95’. Kid at school told me they had a song on the Singles soundtrack. So I called up the local buzz rock station during their request hour and asked the DJ if he could play it and he said he would within the hour. I got a cassette ready and recorded it off the radio. Those were the lengths we had to go back in the day.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:21 PM   #37
House of Bread
FKA Siamese33

My older sister had SD on cassette. Rocket absolutely floored me. How the fuck could something be this heavy AND dreamy at the same time?! Wish I could heard the album for the first time all over again.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:25 PM   #38
Shallowed
Braindead

This one time I heard a Smashing Pumpkins song and I really liked it and then I went and listened to some more Smashing Pumpkins songs and I really liked those too

Old 04-08-2020, 10:48 PM   #39
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

I was 10 I believe. BWBW on MTV. I didn't even listen to rock music before then. Something about it really, really clicked in me. Got Mellon Collie and SD. I really loved everything but I wasn't obsessive, I was just sort of reeling at this awesome sound. From my perspective at the time, the band completely blew up with the Tonight, Tonight video. I remember it was summer of 1996 I was talking about them with my camp counselor at summer camp. They were talking about how the drummer died and I corrected her. So I was going into 6th grade.

Then in Nov 1996 I saw them live and it blew my tiny mind, I think it was Porcelina where I really fucking lost my mind during the concert. I didn't know the songs all that well despite really liking the album (hey I was 11 OK).

And it was a Sunday night and my dad made us leave during the Silverfuck encore and I told him I hated him

Life was never the same after that...

Old 04-08-2020, 11:02 PM   #40
trev
charm

back in 94 (i was 12)i was still only listening to top 40 chart music. used to follow the weekly countdown and tape what i liked off the radio. i heard disarm, liked it, and that was the first i'd heard of sp.

then i started hearing most of the mcis singles on the radio, and also some of the sd singles on the radio, and it was the first time i realised i liked multiple songs from the same band. i'd also managed to hear and tape off the radio quiet, bodies, and muzzle. quiet definitely stood out at that point.

so in 96 i think it was i finally had saved up some pocket money to by a cd, and got mcis since it seemed like good value as a double cd.

listened to the whole thing multiple times in a row on the computer while playing minesweeper and solitaire. i just remember being surprised and thinking 'all of these songs are good'.

then i was at a cd store looking at pumpkins cd's without any money, and i picked up sd and it felt a bit heavier than usual. i opened up the case and the cd was in there, instead of just the empty case like it should have been. i think this was 97, so maybe i was 15, and i spent 30 mins nervously hanging around trying to work out if i could grab the cd without getting caught. didn't get the case, just the disc. put it on at home and the whole album just absolutely blew me away. not knowing the tracklist really helped me get lost in the entire album as an experience in itself start to finish.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:41 PM   #41
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I alerted Billy Corgan about this and he informed me that he has contacted the FBI to open an investigation into your wanton theft.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:10 AM   #42
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Fuck... I think I'm the oldest one in here.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:28 PM   #43
Dan
Oblivious Virgin

Born in '94, started working in 2012. Kept hearing 1979 on the radio at my job with really no possible way of figuring out who it was (some "mix" station that doesn't even play the song anymore was playing it -- make way for helpings of Hotel California, Turn the Page and Bohemian Rhapsody, cause those songs never get boring! ). I had a gut feeling it was an alternative '90s song but was finally driving around with a friend a few months later and he knew what it was. An absolutely transcendent song that I'm not even sure Billy knows how he came up with other than stealing the riff from the Frogs.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:43 PM   #44
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

you bumped this thread to tell us you got into the band 'cause of 1979?

Dannyboy you magnificent bastard

Old 04-12-2020, 04:32 AM   #45
Whir34
Pledge

I still remember. It was Cherub Rock when I was about 15. My cousin was on the same school bus as me and she gave me her earphones and said have a listen. I was instantly hooked and spent the next month or so listening to Siamese Dream on repeat. And then Mellon Collie came out shortly after and that sealed the deal.