Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2020, 03:18 AM   #31
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
just imagine if Hey! walked in here right about now!
must spread rep

Old 03-19-2020, 05:09 AM   #32
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

There's a difference between coming up with the bass part, and just playing the bass part.

I always felt that it was the former that was the problem. Billy obviously wasn't happy with the parts that D'Arcy was coming up with, if she was coming up with any. So he came up with them and then played them, and she just learned how to play those parts live.

So she was fine as a player, but perhaps not to Billy's standard as a creator.

By MCIS he seems to have either softened that stance, or D'Arcy was in the mindset to come up good parts.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:41 AM   #33
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Not a virtuoso bass player by any means, but she was perfect for the band and no slouch on bass. She played in Smashing Pumpkins for 11 years with three very different, and very talented, drummers.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:54 AM   #34
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
I always felt that it was the former that was the problem. Billy obviously wasn't happy with the parts that D'Arcy was coming up with, if she was coming up with any.
I don't know the first thing about making/writing music, but I could've sworn I'd read a long time ago that Billy always wanted the bassline to just follow the root note of the melody, meaning there'd be no real opportunity for her to invent anything

I don't even know enough about music to be able to say off the top of my head if this is true for all the SP songs I've heard

Did anyone else read that, or am I getting confused?

Old 03-19-2020, 08:58 AM   #35
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
I don't know the first thing about making/writing music, but I could've sworn I'd read a long time ago that Billy always wanted the bassline to just follow the root note of the melody, meaning there'd be no real opportunity for her to invent anything

I don't even know enough about music to be able to say off the top of my head if this is true for all the SP songs I've heard

Yeah i member big willie saying that. Seem to recall he was complaining about Nicole F when he mentioned that preference

Old 03-19-2020, 10:11 AM   #36
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
I'll throw my 2cents in on the studio thing. I own a small recording studio here in Tulsa. I've recorded somewhere between 400 and 500 unique bands. In all my time I have witnessed this white coat syndrome for musicians. They can be phenomenal players that bring the house down in a live setting and then forget how to count to four in my studio. Watching the 666 videos a million times I really don't see this being the case with D'arcy.
she actually recorded on MCIS tho, I'd be surprised if she wasn't in good form on those vids

Gish & SD sessions might have been a different story though, you gotta remember the decision to have Bill record those parts was just as much Butch's insistence - allegedly, at least

Old 03-19-2020, 10:51 AM   #37
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post

From the live footage I’ve watched (when it’s often easier for me to single out the bass), D usually is following the guitar, yes.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:43 PM   #38
trev
charm

i'm a big fan of darcy in the pumpkins, but she never killed it on bass. she was competent. which is fine though, you don't need to be a virtuoso to make great music.

i have no idea what she was like with composition and creation of bass parts, it's plausible that she wasn't great on that front. but i also remember billy saying he prefers the bass parts to be fairly simple and following the root notes of the chords. and for the most part i agree, especially with 2 guitars you need that to have a harmonic foundation to build on.

but i think her opinions on things creatively overall were extremely valuable to the pumpkins success and the quality of their output. she was a fantastic 'shit' filter. billy always needs that.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:45 PM   #39
trev
charm

and oh my god the audio mix with the prominent bass on the first 2 vids is absolutely fuckin horrible.

it's interesting to listen to her parts, but overall the mix sucks to listen to.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:16 PM   #40
trev
charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
holy shit, the gatgc riff intro to xyu! hadn't heard that before. (~53min mark)

Old 04-01-2020, 11:20 AM   #41
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev View Post
i'm a big fan of darcy in the pumpkins, but she never killed it on bass. she was competent. which is fine though, you don't need to be a virtuoso to make great music.

i have no idea what she was like with composition and creation of bass parts, it's plausible that she wasn't great on that front. but i also remember billy saying he prefers the bass parts to be fairly simple and following the root notes of the chords. and for the most part i agree, especially with 2 guitars you need that to have a harmonic foundation to build on.

but i think her opinions on things creatively overall were extremely valuable to the pumpkins success and the quality of their output. she was a fantastic 'shit' filter. billy always needs that.
None of us are saying D’Arcy was Cliff Burton, but she is far better than Billy fanboys act like in the YouTube comment sections.

Agree that her most valuable role was helping Billy filter stuff out.